BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2013-12-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-OPEN
Hi guys-

Would love to join this group. I am actually sitting in a hospital bed as I type this on my phone waiting for a medial meniscus repair on my left knee.

I can type up all my detailed responses tomorrow but the basics are that I'm 43, have never done a triathlon, was a competitive collegiate runner and have been a recreational biker for a few years but Very little to no swim background. So that should make this all vey interesting.

Would love to join the group if there is room and if I can get the detailed bio information up tomorrow.

Thanks!

Chris

2013-12-23 1:51 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Howdy, folks.  Count another one as in.  I'll post my full bio later this week, but this will be my 5th season of attempting multi-sport, two derailed due to injuries.  So, we're looking for consistency and injury-free training.  Oh, and to qualify for Olympic AGN in June. 

2013-12-23 1:53 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by WoodrowCall
Originally posted by wannabefaster I had a really nice swim lesson this morning (I have been trying to do this every Sunday morning) followed by a tough swim set. The high school boys were doing a 'make-up' workout that they had missed yesterday because of an ice storm. It is both inspiring and humbling to be in the pool with a bunch of teenagers that can effortlessly out swim me. Very short run and the rest of the day is hanging out with friends who are visiting from out of town.
Speaking of humbling, I actually had a guy fly by me just kicking with a kickboard while I was freestyle swimming yesterday. He was seriously fast...

Ha!  My daughter darn near does that now.  She's eleven. 

2013-12-23 3:16 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
South Alabama

Gregg, Chris and Mike-welcome to the group.

By my count that gives us 19 including Jason and myself. I think we will go ahead and post the group as closed. But, if we have another straggler or 2 or someone from the previous group we will be flexible. Looks to be a good group with a wide variety of experiences and goals.

If you are a beginner or you are training for your first triathlon don't be intimated to ask a question. We all startted there. The most important thing is to stick with it, get out the door and believe you can do it. In our last group we had a lady that went from walking to walking/running then swimming and biking. She ended up doing several triathlons, numerous running races up to half marathon and a century ride in the Fall. One of the greatest accomplishments I have seen since I have been on BT. She built her fitness slowly and methodically. Putting in the time and effort. She was not worried about getting "fast" but more about getting healthy and reaching her goals. Consistency pays off. Rely on the group for motivation and support and have fun!

2013-12-23 3:41 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
PLEASE let me come back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2013-12-23 3:44 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs PLEASE let me come back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy-of course! Glad to have you back with us.

2013-12-23 3:46 PM

User image

Yay!!!!! I just got back from a horrid 4 miles (on the dreadmille) followed by my first swim since Sept. 29th. THAT was humbling.
2013-12-23 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Story: I'm 42 years old, and 2013 was my first year of triathlon. I played basketball and softball in highschool, but the only other 'sports' related thing I did most of my life was ride 3-day event horses (dressage, cross-country jumping and stadium jumping). When I was in my late 30s (about 10 years after I quit riding horses--you think triathlon is expensive? Buy a horse), my husband says I had my mid-life crisis and started running. In reality, I had a friend that ran her first sub-4 hour marathon, and my interest in running was piqued. I signed up that day for my first ever running race, a half marathon that was 5 months later. Obviously, I'm of the 'go big or go home' mentality. I finished that first half marathon, did two more that year, signed up for my first full marathon (which I did in March of 2013) and then wondered, 'Now what?' That was when I bought my first bike, joined the Y so I could swim, and entered the Augusta half Ironman. I have yet to run a 5K distance race that wasn't part of a triathlon. How odd is that?

I grew up in a small town in southeastern Ohio, but have lived in the Augusta, GA area for the past 10 years. I've been teaching middle school English for the past 10 years.

Family: Married to my husband, Chris, since 2005. He wasn't a huge fan of triathlon when I first informed him that I was training for a half iron distance race, but we worked through some growing pains, and after I finished Augusta 70.3, he has become quite a supporter. He was truly proud of my accomplishment. We have no kids; the rest of our family consists of our three dogs T.C., Louie & James.

Training: I used a beginner half iron distance plan from this website last year. It got the job done. I was a bit of a slacker since the September 29th race, and am just now getting back into all 3 disciplines. I have been running 3 days/week for the past 2 months with some cycling here and there as well as some other cross-training.

2014-My "A" race this year will be Augusta 70.3. My goal is to finish in sub 6 hours (I finished last year in 6:31--I had several picnics in transition and had a lousy run, so shaving on 32 minutes should be achievable). I also have scheduled:

February--half marathon
March--Dare to Tri (local) sprint
April--half marathon
May--Tall Pines Olympic (local)
July--Mistletoe sprint (local)
August/Sept--Olympic tri (two local choices)
September--Augusta 70.3
December--possible full marathon

2013 Season: My first season of triathlon. Completed 2 sprints, 1 Olympic and a half iron distance race. Also ran a half marathon and a full marathon.

Weightloss: Always something in progress. I find that the more distance training I do, the harder it is to maintain/drop my weight unless I continue with strength training. For me, I have to lift weights to lose weight. It's hard to find a balance sometimes.

What will make me a good mentee? I continue to stay committed to my goals. My motto is, "If I sign up for it, I'll train." Alas, if I don't have anything in the pipeline, I become a bit of a slacker. I learned so much from the last mentor group, and can't wait to learn more this year! It'll be nice having a little experience under my belt.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-12-23 4:08 PM
2013-12-23 4:19 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by 43YORook

Hi guys-

Would love to join this group. I am actually sitting in a hospital bed as I type this on my phone waiting for a medial meniscus repair on my left knee.

I can type up all my detailed responses tomorrow but the basics are that I'm 43, have never done a triathlon, was a competitive collegiate runner and have been a recreational biker for a few years but Very little to no swim background. So that should make this all vey interesting.

Would love to join the group if there is room and if I can get the detailed bio information up tomorrow.

Thanks!

Chris

Good luck with the surgery!

Edited by GoldenSprocket 2013-12-23 4:19 PM
2013-12-23 5:06 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by jonD81

2013 races: I did 4 sprints and a HM in 2013. The year was all about learning for me. First 2 sprints I had terrible runs, which were partly due to not training the run because of an injury, but my 3rd race I actually trained for and have a much better time. 4th race, which was the same race I did in 2012, I ended up getting 3rd place in my division (Clydesdale) which was really nice. I trained for it and beat my time the previous year by I think over 11 minutes. I did a HM in October and met my primary and secondary goal, although that was also a big learning experience in pacing and training. I also did an indoor tri a few weeks ago and got 1st overall, but I think there were only 12 people in total haha. It was fun though and now everyone at the Y is gunning for me.

Seeing as how we are both from the Granite State I figured I'd check out your profile. It seems as though we both did the Nashua YMCA sprint and you beat me by 12 seconds. You may add another name to the list of people gunning for you in 2014.
2013-12-23 5:58 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by GoldenSprocket
Originally posted by 43YORook Hi guys- Would love to join this group. I am actually sitting in a hospital bed as I type this on my phone waiting for a medial meniscus repair on my left knee. I can type up all my detailed responses tomorrow but the basics are that I'm 43, have never done a triathlon, was a competitive collegiate runner and have been a recreational biker for a few years but Very little to no swim background. So that should make this all vey interesting. Would love to join the group if there is room and if I can get the detailed bio information up tomorrow. Thanks! Chris
Good luck with the surgery!

X2.....been down that road with a right ACL reconstruction 22-23 years ago and a scope to clean it up a couple of years after that.....stupid basketball! 

2013-12-23 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason & Randy, I would love to jump in one more time. Hopefully I can get back to racing in 2014!
2013-12-23 6:46 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart.

So glad you are back. I want to watch you achieve your goals on the new hip.

(plus I still need lots of swim tips)
2013-12-23 6:50 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by 43YORook

• I am actually sitting in a hospital bed as I type this on my phone waiting for a medial meniscus repair on my left knee.

• Welcome. Hope the surgery went well.

I had a 90% + menisectomy shortly before my 25th birthday and have never looked back. It was amazing to me how quickly I was able to resume normal activities. Very close to baseline within a month after surgery so there is hope.....

However, if you have the repair it will probably be a slightly longer recovery than the menisctomy. Different surgeons have different protocols when it comes to activity post meniscus repair.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-12-23 6:51 PM
    2013-12-23 6:52 PM
    in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
    ann arbor, michigan
    Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by WoodrowCall
    Originally posted by wannabefaster I had a really nice swim lesson this morning (I have been trying to do this every Sunday morning) followed by a tough swim set. The high school boys were doing a 'make-up' workout that they had missed yesterday because of an ice storm. It is both inspiring and humbling to be in the pool with a bunch of teenagers that can effortlessly out swim me. Very short run and the rest of the day is hanging out with friends who are visiting from out of town.
    Speaking of humbling, I actually had a guy fly by me just kicking with a kickboard while I was freestyle swimming yesterday. He was seriously fast...

Ha!  My daughter darn near does that now.  She's eleven. 

I have an 11 year old daughter as well. She blows me out of the water with every stroke at every distance. And never lets me forget it.
    2013-12-23 6:54 PM

User image

Hey- I grew up in southern NH- Amherst. We all went to elementary school in Nashua. (my siblings)

My parents still live in NH- just east of Concord.

Nancy

Edited by el penguino 2013-12-23 6:55 PM

2013-12-23 6:55 PM
    in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Silicon Valley
    Well since you are willing to put up with me for another go around, here's my story. For those who have been in the group, nothing new here.

Name: Stuartap (Stuart – BTW – I hate Stu and/or Stewie or any other abreviation)

Story: New to the sport in 2012. Feb 2012 I decided that being almost 250# at 5’11” and age 56 was not a combination for a long life. So I began a weight loss program. In May I was helping my daughter at a booth for the American Diabetes Association at a local Sprint Tri. Seeing people older than me and heavier than me was inspiring. I decided that I wanted to do this.

I was a competitive swimmer in HS & College but inactive for the better part of three decades since. Always enjoyed riding, always hated running.
    I started off on my 37# mountain bike and picked up a used 2012 Kona King Zing in Aug. Tried to run too hard too fast and injured my Achilles tendon…twice. Consequently I ran just a few days between June and my Dec 2012 tri.

Did my first tri Dec 16, 2012 although the swim was cancelled due to storm runoff and replaced with a second run. YUCH! Still, I did finish towards the BOP but my bike was good. My weight was 195# at race day, age 57.

In March 2013 my front wheel was clipped by a car and I went down. I was able to break my fall with my hands but ended up with a small fracture in my left wrist. I was sidelined for four weeks but did a lot of stationary bike work. A week after being OKd to get back to full training I was hit by a car and this time fractured my hip. They tried a repair with titanium pins etc but that repair failed. There was not enough blood flow restored to the hip and it was dying. So 10 weeks ago they replaced the hip.

I am still trying to get back to full range of motion and hope to resume training soon. Running will be limited for quite a while.

Family Status: Married to the girl I went to the senior prom with for the past 39 years. Two kids and two dogs. One of the dogs just joined our family at Christmas time last year. She is an 11 year old mutt who was rescued from a dump in Texas. They named her Dumpling because of where they found her. We were going to change her name but it just fit her.

Current Training: Still on the shelf for a while. I will start PT right after the holidays and hoping to get back to something that resembles normal later in Q1.

2013 Races: None, lost the whole season to injury and seven months on crutches. I did do one 5k for charity (American Diabetes Step-Out) on crutches in Oct.

Planned 2014 Races: I am hoping to get the OK to do a super sprint Aqua/Bike in April but haven’t been able to get the sign-off from my doctor yet. It will likely be last minute if at all. Beyond that the only things penciled in are the Tour de Cure and Step-Out Walk. I would like to get a few sprints in and maybe an Oly late in the season.

What Will Make Me a Good Mentee: I have two objectives for joining the group even though I am currently not training.
    (1) I am still new to the sport so I learned a ton from this group previously.
    (2) I would love to be a resource for those struggling with or wanting to improve their swimming. By way of credentials I swam competitively in HS (the only freshman to ever make the varsity team) & College. My PR in the 100 yard free was 48.81. I swam a 1650 Free a couple of times under 19 minutes.

I would be happy to answer any questions and/or offer suggestions on how to learn to love swimming a.k.a. how to get faster!

2013-12-23 7:05 PM
    in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
    South Alabama

Stuart-glad to have you for another round.

Well, the hard part of the week is done! I had a 5 min bike FTP test/TT on the schedule for tomorrow morning. I dread these!  The test is basically to ride as hard as you can for 5 minutes after doing some intervals warming up. Too hard early and you fade badly over the last minute or so. For me, I know I've done it right when I can barely focus enough at the end to hit the lap button on my Garmin. There have been times when I was literally drooling at the end of a test.....not a pretty picture. Got home early today and decided to go ahead and knock it out. I hate bike testing.......probably even more than bad swim days. Was able to get it done with some improvement over the last 5 min. test. My Coach will typically prescribe 5, 10 and 20 minute tests spaced out over several weeks to get an idea of current power numbers.  Maybe an easy hour on the bike in the morning before traveling to the in-laws.  

2013-12-23 8:10 PM

User image

Master
    South Alabama

Ok gang, here is what I have. Let me know if I missed anyone or made a spelling mistake.

Randy=slornow

Jason=Wannabefaster

Bryan=PhoenixM

Steve=sdswriter

Jamie=WoodrowCall

Nathan=triathlonpal07

Nancy=el penguino

John=jmlahr

Kevin=GoldenSprocket

Nelson=ndechant

Jon=Jondpond

Suzy=SSMinnow

Blanda=Blanda

David=tdl1972

Jon=jonD81

Randee=mtnbikerchk

Gregg=greggah

Chris=43YORook

Mike=jmhpsu93

Nancy=glfprncs

Stuart=Stuartap

2013-12-23 8:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Silicon Valley
    Getting caught up on the group posts:

Steve I too live in Morgan Hill. It seems you are quite a bit ahead of me but would love to meet up some time.

Jamie nice to see you here again. FYI ‘mentee’ is actually in the dictionary. It does sound a bit dumb but there nonetheless. ;-)

John keep the training up and the weight loss will come. I managed to drop 60# my first year! I have put some back on being injured and inactive for 8 months but I do know what I need to do to get it back off.

Suzy nice to see some familiar faces!

Bryan I have to agree with Randy on the increased volume in biking. When I started I was increasing both distance and intensity at what seemed to be ‘too fast’ but it was good for my improvement. Running however, do cautiously.

Randee…I’m back too!

Gregg I too have a full on my calendar for 2015, probably IMAZ in Nov 2015.

Chris good luck on your surgery.

OK so I think I am all caught up. For those new to this particular group, it has a history of high performance and great gains so you came to the right place. It’s a great group so have fun!
    2013-12-23 8:46 PM
    in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Champion
    Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by PhoenixM And now comes my first question. When it comes to bike training, what kind of weekly mileage increases would be best to employ (e.g. 5%, 10%, 15%, etc.)? I initially thought a 5 mile increase every week with a taper week every 6th week would work, but the numbers are climbing past the point where I'm beginning to think such improvement under this framework may be unrealistic. P.S.: Sorry for the segue from swimming. Bryan

I've never seen specific guidance on this question.  I know they usually tell you no more than a 10% increase in running volume.  Are you following a specific plan for a specific distance?

2013-12-23 8:47 PM

User image

Champion
    Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by slornow

Ok gang, here is what I have. Let me know if I missed anyone or made a spelling mistake.

Randy=slornow

Jason=Wannabefaster

Bryan=PhoenixM

Steve=sdswriter

Jamie=WoodrowCall

Nathan=triathlonpal07

Nancy=el penguino

John=jmlahr

Kevin=GoldenSprocket

Nelson=ndechant

Jon=Jondpond

Suzy=SSMinnow

Blanda=Blanda

David=tdl1972

Jon=jonD81

Randee=mtnbikerchk

Gregg=greggah

Chris=43YORook

Mike=jmhpsu93

Nancy=glfprncs

Stuart=Stuartap

Can I ask a favor?  would people  be willing to add their name to their signature lines so we can start getting to know people a little better?

2013-12-23 8:58 PM
    in reply to: SSMinnow

, Georgia
    Hi Suzy.

I pulled this plan off the Digital Running website. It appears to have been designed with people like me in mind.

https://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-half-marathon-plan/
    2013-12-23 9:06 PM
    in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

New user
    Hi Randy/Jason and everyone else! Can I get in??

Mary
    2013-12-23 10:17 PM
    in reply to: #4915043

User image

Master
    South Alabama
    Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
    It would be great to have you in the group Mary!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 22, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 0
    Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
    date : January 27, 2011
    author : Mark Sunderland
    The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
    author : Rich Strauss
    comments : 2
    The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
    date : January 1, 2006
    author : acbadger
    Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
    author : Team BT
    The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.