BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-04-26 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Got my bike refit today. Was a long day...7 hours of driving (I hate you Atlanta traffic) and 3 hours totally revamping my position on the bike. For the first time since I bought my bike, I actually felt my sit bones on the saddle. Hallelujah! Moved my position far more forward and changed up the front end of my bike. I'm now looking for an Adamo Race saddle. I tried one he had (he took it off someone else's bike for me to try) and was deliriously happy in it. Wish I had it for tomorrow.

2014-04-26 6:19 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

, Georgia
Ended up taking this entire last week off and throwing caution to the wind on what I was eating. Probably not the wisest of ideas, but I was more concerned about getting through final exam week in one piece.

Fortunately, I did. Not in the way I had hoped (A B C D), but I'm not going to complain. With how this semester went, I'm "content" with a 2.5 GPA for the semester. The measurements Monday morning probably won't look good, but it's something to work with over the next 19 weeks before the September race.

The one thing that mattered is this: I got out in "relatively" one piece, and I can redirect focus to other matters and away from schoolwork for once. Perhaps even stay caught up in this forum, which would be a first!

Stormy and rainy week next week unfortunately, so it looks like me and the trainer will be becoming friends again. But I won't complain too much.

Hope ya'll are doing well.
2014-04-26 6:43 PM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Master

Randy added another awesome race result to his resume today. Congratulations!!! 

2014-04-26 8:58 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Originally posted by slornow

Race went well this morning. Felt like absolute crap on the bike and run.....but it looks like it was because I was pushing pretty hard. First "hot" morning. Ended up winning grandmasters and finishing 7th overall. Pretty balanced day as I was 15th in the swim, 10th on the bike and 13th on the run.  My tri team took home the top 8 spots in the race so it was a good day all around. .

Great job, Randy! Congrats on the GM win and 7th overall. Sounds like your tri team has got some serious talent.

2014-04-27 7:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-pretty quiet day today. Got in an easy hour on the bike and felt pretty good after that. Cleaned up all the gear from yesterday and swapped out wheels. Now I feel pretty beat up. Races just take a toll on an old man.

Heard from Rene and she had a good race today.

Got my race report done: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=515111&posts=1&page=1 

This is me at the finish....I felt like absolute crap at this point. Maybe I'll "rock" the trucker hat next race. Fortunately, I was able to recover and enjoy a fun post race party that included made to order waffles from Waffle House. Waffle House's are everywhere in the South but the first time I've ever had waffles at a race.

Edited by slornow 2014-04-27 7:25 PM

(traditions finish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
traditions finish.jpg (86KB - 7 downloads)
2014-04-27 7:23 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Looking good!

2014-04-27 8:14 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Randy...I think your race photo could be captioned, "Triathlon. So easy I can do it with my eyes closed."

Local bike shop hosted the 11th annual "Best Dam Ride" today (the bike ride originated at the dam at the local reservoir). I rode the 30 mile loop whereas most of my friends went 60. Regardless, I rode the first 14 miles really easy, and hit it hard the last 16. Was pleased with those final 16 miles.

Still trying to figure out my balance on my new bike fit. I'm much further forward on my bike now which has changed my balance over the front end. I'm sure I'll get it worked out. Found a gently used Adamo Racing 2 saddle that a friend is going to let me have on the cheap which is nice, as it saves me a considerable amount of money. I'm excited to finally find a saddle where I feel nothing but my seat bones. I'm sure my seat bones will hurt, but seat bone pain HAS to be better than soft tissue hoo ha pain, right? (Sorry if that's too much information).

19.5 more days of school!!!!!!!
2014-04-27 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Hey gang-pretty quiet day today. Got in an easy hour on the bike and felt pretty good after that. Cleaned up all the gear from yesterday and swapped out wheels. Now I feel pretty beat up. Races just take a toll on an old man.

Heard from Rene and she had a good race today.

Got my race report done: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=515111&posts=1&page=1 

This is me at the finish....I felt like absolute crap at this point. Maybe I'll "rock" the trucker hat next race. Fortunately, I was able to recover and enjoy a fun post race party that included made to order waffles from Waffle House. Waffle House's are everywhere in the South but the first time I've ever had waffles at a race.

Caption: Is that the finish line?? Please let that be the finish line...

Good job, kicking butt as usual!
2014-04-27 8:25 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by glfprncs

Randy...I think your race photo could be captioned, "Triathlon. So easy I can do it with my eyes closed."

Local bike shop hosted the 11th annual "Best Dam Ride" today (the bike ride originated at the dam at the local reservoir). I rode the 30 mile loop whereas most of my friends went 60. Regardless, I rode the first 14 miles really easy, and hit it hard the last 16. Was pleased with those final 16 miles.

Still trying to figure out my balance on my new bike fit. I'm much further forward on my bike now which has changed my balance over the front end. I'm sure I'll get it worked out. Found a gently used Adamo Racing 2 saddle that a friend is going to let me have on the cheap which is nice, as it saves me a considerable amount of money. I'm excited to finally find a saddle where I feel nothing but my seat bones. I'm sure my seat bones will hurt, but seat bone pain HAS to be better than soft tissue hoo ha pain, right? (Sorry if that's too much information).

19.5 more days of school!!!!!!!

I'm counting down the days of school, as well! Glad you've got a well-fit bike, and I love my Adamo saddle. It totally changed how comfortable I am on my bike, enjoy!
2014-04-27 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Great race, Randy, as usual! Love the picture. Looks like you gave it all you got.

2014-04-27 8:33 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Ok, I've got a burning nutrition question, especially for Jason. I'm going to do my best to keep it short and sweet.

My Issue: Last year, I got nauseous and passed out during IM Louisville. That really hurt my race performance. I was dehydrated and malnourished. I'm trying to fix that this year.

This weekend: I'm really working on trying to nail down nutrition. So, Saturday I went for a 70ish mile ride. I've done it before multiple times and no the in's and out's of it well. It was about 75 at the hottest part of the day, so not too bad. Here was my nutrition plan:
I went with a 350 cal/hour plan, basing it on 5 cal/kg/hour at 160 lbs. I made a 4 hour bottle of Perpetuem that I sipped every 15 minutes, while supplementing with three other water bottles of water. I supplemented this with one caffeinated Gu per hour (to add calories and caffeine) and one Salt Stick tablet per hour. I rode by HR and cadence and did well; I averaged about 17.5 mph with some good elevation gain, about 2,000 feet.

So, I got done and my stomach felt gross. I wasn't dizzy, but I definitely felt "icky". It didn't last long after I was done, and it didn't carry over to today. I got a 16-mile run in this morning with no issues; I wasn't even sore from yesterday.

My question: in everyone's experience, is there something I can change, or is wanting to throw up part of long-distance racing. My HR was only about 125-130 for the ride, so I wasn't over-exerting myself, and it wasn't super hot. Thoughts and/or suggestions?

2014-04-27 8:37 PM

User image

Master

Nancy. Glad you found a saddle that works.

Randy, the trucker hat would make the picture perfect!

Placed first in my AG today at the South Midwest Regional Sprint Triathlon. I'll try to write something up and put it on my blog within the next few days.

I did something really stupid and funny today at the race. When I told coach what I'd done the note that he sent back said- WTF?  lol... Jason, also agreed with coaches comment. Thanks Jason!

Came into T2.  racked the bike, picked up my hat, belt and ________ and started running out of transition. Volunteers were yelling at me about my shoes. I looked down at my feet and couldn't figure out why they were yelling at me as I had on my running shoes. Then one of them said something about the BIKE SHOE in my hand. How and why I had a bike shoe in my hand is beyond me. I guess I picked it back up when I grabbed the hat. I wasn't that far out of transition.. ran back to my rack and dropped the shoe. 

2014-04-27 8:49 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master

Jamie, are you sold on the Perpetum? The one and ONLY time that I tried it I ended up throwing up in a bush on the side of the road on a club ride. So it doesn't surprise me that you've had GI problems with it at a race. Especially a race as hot as IMLOU. From what I've read it doesn't seem to do that well in hot weather.

I've had a lot of success using UCAN - Blueberry Pomegranate flavor for long course. I would suggest trying that or Infinit instead of what you're using if you have time to switch.

2014-04-27 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Catwoman

Jamie, are you sold on the Perpetum? The one and ONLY time that I tried it I ended up throwing up in a bush on the side of the road on a club ride. So it doesn't surprise me that you've had GI problems with it at a race. Especially a race as hot as IMLOU. From what I've read it doesn't seem to do that well in hot weather.

I've had a lot of success using UCAN - Blueberry Pomegranate flavor for long course. I would suggest trying that or Infinit instead of what you're using if you have time to switch.

I'm 100% open to switching to something else; I even picked up some samples of UCAN at my HM in Raleigh. I honestly just can't figure it out. It seems like you're supposed to take it and then go for 2 hours with nothing else, which makes no sense to me on a caloric basis. I'll definitely give Infinit a shot; I really just like Perpetuem (not that I actually like it at all) because it's sold in a store near me, which I like. Internet ordering just seems like a hassle with UCAN and Infinit. But, then again, passing out and/or throwing up is its own hassle altogether.
2014-04-27 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Catwoman

Nancy. Glad you found a saddle that works.

Randy, the trucker hat would make the picture perfect!

Placed first in my AG today at the South Midwest Regional Sprint Triathlon. I'll try to write something up and put it on my blog within the next few days.

I did something really stupid and funny today at the race. When I told coach what I'd done the note that he sent back said- WTF?  lol... Jason, also agreed with coaches comment. Thanks Jason!

Came into T2.  racked the bike, picked up my hat, belt and ________ and started running out of transition. Volunteers were yelling at me about my shoes. I looked down at my feet and couldn't figure out why they were yelling at me as I had on my running shoes. Then one of them said something about the BIKE SHOE in my hand. How and why I had a bike shoe in my hand is beyond me. I guess I picked it back up when I grabbed the hat. I wasn't that far out of transition.. ran back to my rack and dropped the shoe. 

Great performance! I think we've all had braindead moments in transition. I've gotten 10 minutes into the bike section only to realize that I still had ear plugs in from the swim. Also, I've twice just thrown my goggles down on the way in. As in I just tossed them down somewhere on the way in without even knowing I did it.
2014-04-27 9:07 PM

User image

Master

Brief run down of my IM nutrition plan:

1 bottle of UCAN pre-swim

A couple of double strength bottles of UCAN for the bike ride. I drink every 15 minutes and supplement with water. I also add in a caffeine GU and a honey stinger waffle at about the 2:30 mark of the bike. I stop drinking UCAN about 30 minutes before the run. Run- GU Roctane Gel mixed in flasks with water. I didn't need to add in cokes or food on the run at IMFL.

I've found that I tend to get a little light headed on the bike if something else isn't added in with the UCAN.

2014-04-28 8:16 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Ok, I've got a burning nutrition question, especially for Jason. I'm going to do my best to keep it short and sweet.

My Issue: Last year, I got nauseous and passed out during IM Louisville. That really hurt my race performance. I was dehydrated and malnourished. I'm trying to fix that this year.

This weekend: I'm really working on trying to nail down nutrition. So, Saturday I went for a 70ish mile ride. I've done it before multiple times and no the in's and out's of it well. It was about 75 at the hottest part of the day, so not too bad. Here was my nutrition plan:
I went with a 350 cal/hour plan, basing it on 5 cal/kg/hour at 160 lbs. I made a 4 hour bottle of Perpetuem that I sipped every 15 minutes, while supplementing with three other water bottles of water. I supplemented this with one caffeinated Gu per hour (to add calories and caffeine) and one Salt Stick tablet per hour. I rode by HR and cadence and did well; I averaged about 17.5 mph with some good elevation gain, about 2,000 feet.

So, I got done and my stomach felt gross. I wasn't dizzy, but I definitely felt "icky". It didn't last long after I was done, and it didn't carry over to today. I got a 16-mile run in this morning with no issues; I wasn't even sore from yesterday.

My question: in everyone's experience, is there something I can change, or is wanting to throw up part of long-distance racing. My HR was only about 125-130 for the ride, so I wasn't over-exerting myself, and it wasn't super hot. Thoughts and/or suggestions?

Jamie.

My whole nutrition plan is on about page 17 or 18 of this thread.....

I found that when I was racing, taking in gels or bars or any kind of solids left me nauseated. When I eliminated the "solids" from my plan the nausea (and other.....) issues went away.

I try to mix my bottles with enough calories so that two bottles will get me through a HIM race, about 400 calories/bottle. My mixture is about 2.5 scoops of a fairly standard Infinit mix plus one packet of U-Can. I try to meter it out so that one bottle lasts me about 1:15 and supplement with water. More water on hot days, less on cool days.

I believe that there is some data out there about getting your glucose from two different sources being more efficient for race fueling, and I have unwittingly done this with the U-can/Infinit mixture. I know there is different stuff out there about U-Can and taking it at the start and not needing to take it again but I don't use it that way. Mixed with the Infinit, I use it just like a standard sports drink.

As far as the Perpetuem goes. I don't really understand why people use it. I have read more Perpetuem failure stories than I have success stories. I don't think it works for that many people. Even the people who swear by it as an energy source will usually have at least one story about a failure in a high heat situation. That is just too high risk for me.

Another source to look at would be to contact Brian at PBN products. He helps a lot of triathletes with their nutrition plans and I am pretty sure that he has helped Jordan Rapp with getting his IM nutrition plan dialed in. I have no idea what he costs.
2014-04-28 8:20 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
PS. I do get hungry when racing with this plan. When I get hungry that is a sign from my body that I need more fuel or more water. If I top my stomach up with some sports drink and/or water the hunger goes away. It is a nice little feedback mechanism to remind me to drink while on the bike.
2014-04-28 9:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Randy and Rene you are rockstars! Way to represent!!

ME? Well thanks for asking! I pr'd my 10K by 3minutes yesterday. Not fast by any stretch but just glad to be able to finish AND walk to the car. My legs seized up on the ride to the post race lunch. LOL OH well. PT says I'm making progress and keep it up. I've got a RR in the forum but a 10K RR is pretty boring.

Oh and my MOM is now my official Photographer - because by chance, she's been taking some pretty good pics!

(I'm the cute one on the left not the big ugly guy on the right)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/MtnBikerChk/IMG_0297_zps5e78...

PS Nancy let me know how you like the Adamo Race after you've ridden it a few times!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-04-28 10:00 AM
2014-04-28 9:59 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Jamie.

My whole nutrition plan is on about page 17 or 18 of this thread.....

I found that when I was racing, taking in gels or bars or any kind of solids left me nauseated. When I eliminated the "solids" from my plan the nausea (and other.....) issues went away.

I try to mix my bottles with enough calories so that two bottles will get me through a HIM race, about 400 calories/bottle. My mixture is about 2.5 scoops of a fairly standard Infinit mix plus one packet of U-Can. I try to meter it out so that one bottle lasts me about 1:15 and supplement with water. More water on hot days, less on cool days.

I believe that there is some data out there about getting your glucose from two different sources being more efficient for race fueling, and I have unwittingly done this with the U-can/Infinit mixture. I know there is different stuff out there about U-Can and taking it at the start and not needing to take it again but I don't use it that way. Mixed with the Infinit, I use it just like a standard sports drink.

As far as the Perpetuem goes. I don't really understand why people use it. I have read more Perpetuem failure stories than I have success stories. I don't think it works for that many people. Even the people who swear by it as an energy source will usually have at least one story about a failure in a high heat situation. That is just too high risk for me.

Another source to look at would be to contact Brian at PBN products. He helps a lot of triathletes with their nutrition plans and I am pretty sure that he has helped Jordan Rapp with getting his IM nutrition plan dialed in. I have no idea what he costs.

Thanks for the input Jason. I actually have your whole nutrition plan saved as a document; that's what I based mine off of this last weekend. I'm definitely going to try the Infinit mix; I got a recipe after Louisville last year, but never ordered it. I'm going to give it a shot. As far as UCAN goes, I'm basing its use off of what the salesman said, and their instructions on the website. I just don't think I can go for hours on 100 calories, no matter how super the starch is. How did you decide on your mixture ratios, as far as the UCAN and Infinit goes?
2014-04-28 10:29 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Randy and Rene you are rockstars! Way to represent!! ME? Well thanks for asking! I pr'd my 10K by 3minutes yesterday. Not fast by any stretch but just glad to be able to finish AND walk to the car. My legs seized up on the ride to the post race lunch. LOL OH well. PT says I'm making progress and keep it up. I've got a RR in the forum but a 10K RR is pretty boring. Oh and my MOM is now my official Photographer - because by chance, she's been taking some pretty good pics! (I'm the cute one on the left not the big ugly guy on the right) http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/MtnBikerChk/IMG_0297_zps5e78... PS Nancy let me know how you like the Adamo Race after you've ridden it a few times!

Good job on the PR! Nice picture. I have the same skirt

2014-04-28 10:53 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Good job on the PR! Nice picture. I have the same skirt

OMG LMAO!! :D
2014-04-28 11:51 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Nice job this weekend crew!
Randee- Looks an awful lot like you're giving that poor fellow a elbow in the ribs. Love the matching arm warmers, very stylish.
2014-04-28 12:28 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jamie.

The ratios are not scientific in any way, I was simply trying to get to my calorie goal in two water bottles. I started out using the standard two scoops of Infinit that is a "single serving" + one packet of UCan. I just added a little bit more of the Infinit, another half scoop (plus or minus), to up the calorie count a little bit. I don't really believe in one sports drink solution being magically better than the other. I think it is all a matter of getting in the calories with a little electrolytes on the side. The UCan is a little bit of an outlier with its super-secret starch that is supposed to give you hours of effortless energy. I don't know if the UCan makes that much difference or if it is just the calorie total that is getting me through.

I think you could double everything up, five scoops of Infinit plus two packets of UCan in one bottle and use that for the whole HIM. I start my races with two water bottles on the bike so splitting it up in to the two bottles works well for me.
2014-04-28 11:47 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Rene -- Fantastic job in winning your AG -- way to go!

Randy -- You might not have felt good at the finish, but you still look strong. I usually look far, far worse -- even when I feel good.

Randee -- Congrats on the PR! Great picture too. You look like you mean business. I wouldn't want to get in your way...

Nancy -- Glad your new saddle is working out well. I have a Specialized Sitero, which also rests on the pelvic bone. I've had no trouble at all with it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.