BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2013-12-18 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED
GROUP FOCUS: Triathlon training support for the beginner Triathlete. Vets are welcomed as well. All are encouraged to log training, share your experiences and ask questions.

NAME: BrotherTri - James Rokowski

STORY: Hi! My name is James. I am an Aquatics Director at a private fitness club and Personal Trainer contracted to the US Navy. I did my first Triathlon in 1983 in Korea. A few years later I moved to Hawaii. During the off season of bike racing, I did my second Triathlon and got hooked hard. I did a TON of cycling races, running races, Biathlons, Triathlons and even qualified for Kona at a half iron event in a military slot while I was in Hawaii.

Fast forward a few years and after a military career, then 5 years of foreign travel (Middle East), I returned to triathlon training and racing. I have done 3 Ironmans, 9 Halfs and a bunch of other Tri’s since my return in 2008. I keep my training simple, trying to safely focus on my weaknesses. I hope I can share my experiences with others and will welcome any questions.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to my wife Stacy who supports me very well. We raised 3 fine young adults.

CURRENT TRAINING: Nothing specifically planned. I am building my run base back after taking time off after Ironman Lake Placid to let my metatarsals cool down. I am starting a winter cycling trainer schedule (CompuTrainer) and keeping up with my swimming.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2013): I completed, Black Bear HIM, Mont Tremblant 70.3 and Ironman Lake Placid. I had planned for a few more Triathlons but my metatarsals were in need of some rest.

2014 RACES: I am registered for Black Bear Olympic - Jun 1st, Syracuse 70.3 - Jun 22nd and Princeton 70.3 - Sep 21st. I am also planning a few Sprint Triathlons and maybe something else.

WEIGHTLOSS: No specific goals but to lean up a bit before racing.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I struggled with this question, so here it goes. I would like to give back some of my years of experience to those that many want to know or need some answers. My first half of my racing life I learned thru trial and error. When I came back to racing it was very natural although my wife thought I would kill myself. I assured her that would not happen. I will encourage you through your logs and this thread. I will try to answer all your questions or point you in the direction to find them. I am by all means no expert of this sport. There are many ways to safely get to the finish line. On a final note I can also give some tough love and would specific focus on the sport of Triathlons.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-01-01 6:38 AM

2013-12-18 5:17 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - OPEN
If you would like to join my group, just jump on in and post your Bio in the following format. I will be taking 15 people.

NAME: Your username / first name

STORY: A short paragraph of who you are, why you triathlon

FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/married/family)

CURRENT TRAINING: How you train in general (what race distances in 2013 or any races so far in 2014, technical or not)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Just a little summary of what you have recently done.

2014 RACES: If your season is ready, list your races, if not, your training goals.

WEIGHTLOSS:

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
2013-12-19 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Name:  McManusclan5 / Matt

Story:  Got back into tris in the fall of 2012 with two sprints after about 17 years off of multi-sport.  I'd run during the interval between, but some years just barely.  In Spring of 2012 a colleague at work convinced me to upgrade my 20 y.o. steel bike to caaaaaaaaaarbon (can't say it any other way), and I got jazzed about being on the road again.  Road all spring/summer and dropped some weight (190 down to 175).  I was swimming some anyway (never swam in any organized way, just would wade into the ocean and swim), so I thought, what the heck - I'll do a tri.  The Better Half joined me and it was on!

She subsequently got hooked on running and is getting really good, with terrific results, but sadly is not so gung-ho on tri (although a HS swimmer, she hates OWS and mass starts, plus she rides the brakes on the bike all the way downhill).  So, 2013 was my first full year of tris.  Did a few sprints, a couple Oly's and one HIM.  LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.  

Family:  Married to the Better Half (Kim) with three kids.  Boy/girl/boy ages 13/11/9.  First, best and most important part of my life.

Current training:  2013 as above (got up to 12-15 hours per week in the builds, but wanted a few more weeks at that level - life and too many race tapers just kept getting in the way and limiting me more 8-10 hour weeks than I wanted).  2014 will be a run focus to start, with a HM at the end of February (Cape Cod in winter - fun!), and building base on the drainer and in the pool.  Then I'm thinking HIM in June and August or September, with some sprints and Oly's for spice.  Maaaaaybe AGN in August.

I used Friel's "Your Best Triathlon" last year and will likely do so again this year.  I think I might tweak the workouts to sprinkle a bit more intensity in and shorten some days, while making the longer days a bit longer (not necessarily overall, but the long workouts in each sport longer ones once a week, if that makes sense).

This Year's Races:  As above.  New England TriFest in VT was a nice (and my first) Oly.  Falmouth Sprint was a hoot, with a thousand people.  Timberman was my first HIM and Winny is a great lake.  Nantucket Oly was a blast, as we went over as a family for a week - so I had spectators on course!!  DoverSherborn sprint was fun, as I got to compare my time to the previous year's race and saw a boatload of friends there.  Did a BUNCH of 5k's locally and the kids did mile races at each of them (a couple where the whole family was on the podium!).  Paced Kim through her first HM at the Boston Run to Remember (especially meaningful after the marathon events last year) - which she crushed!  All in, it was a dumptruck full of awesome kind of year!

2014:  Thinking about Grand Rapid HIM in June with a SUPER-stretch goal of qualifying to race ITU long course in Sweden (and take the family there) in 2015.  Not sure the logistics will work out, in which case I'll likely do Patriot HIM a week later.  Maybe AGN.  Probably Timberman, although Pumpkinman/Rev3 Maine and a couple others are possibilities.  A bunch of 5k's, 10k's, a HM or two, some fall road races, etc…  

I'm struggling with balancing training/racing plans this year and getting the family out on the boat, down to the beach and all the other typical summer stuff we usually do but (if I'm honest) cut short last year to accommodate my and Kim's training (we'd go to the beach but both of us seemed to always be working out).  Balance is always tough, but I realize how lucky we are to be balancing such great things rather than more "core" stuff for us (we never miss kids' stuff - for anything - and work has fortunately been a non-issue with scheduling).  Looking back, it felt more selfish than it did at the time - so we're going to watch that more carefully this year.  I'm going to TRY to pull back the throttles a bit in training and see if I can be happy with that (but suspect that I'll just start re-arranging my schedule to try to fit it all in - and we'll see what happens!).  Ah, tri...

Weight loss:  Went from 190 to 155-ish at race weight for the HIM last August.  Now at ~165.  Want to be around 162-163 for training weight and keep 155 as race target, but only right around a long course race.  I think…  I have a suspicion that I could race lighter this year than last, coming into it with more base and a lower starting weight, but I don't want to break down.  I don't actually pay toooo close attention to it, but I now do step on the scale every morning.  

What would make me a good mentee:  As you can see from the above, not brevity!!  I'll try to avoid the TLDR posts…  What I am is very excited about it.  Very interested in the physiology behind endurance training (MD/PhD from a previous life, so I sometimes geek out).  Super happy when others achieve in the sport or outside it as a result of work in it (aka supportive and energized by others doing well).  I am very much looking forward to hearing more details about how others train, approach the race schedule, race season, etc. - so, bring on the conversation!  (Oh, and I'm not bothered by differences of opinion)  

Matt

2013-12-19 1:16 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Welcome Matt! Nice Bio, in reading it I see some similar thinks in the way our lives progressed. I had a long break in racing and also raised 3 kids. Our kids are all grown are in there twenties. We have girl/boy/girl. Actually the youngest will graduate college in May 2014, so may early race year was kaput. It’s great that your family is all active.

I do post very long stuff, as I said in my Bio I keep things simple. Training to me in somewhat very spiritual and keeps me grounded. Oh don’t worry I do like to race and will give my all. I hope I don’t disappoint you in the geekie stuff. A lot of times going from thought to type I mess it up. So for give me in advance. I too have a very thick skin. That is a very good asset on the internet.

2013-12-27 5:09 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-27 7:16 AM

NAME: Frazer

STORY: I don't really triathlon, but would like to get into it. I am a reasonable runner, slow swimmer, and bike-less cyclist.

FAMILY STATUS: Common-law. No children.

CURRENT TRAINING: Too ad hoc. I have started a spin class, run with some frequency.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Nothing.

2014 RACES: I would like to be ready for a 70.3.

WEIGHTLOSS: No loss, just more (some) muscle!

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have a lot to learn.

2013-12-27 9:39 AM
in reply to: Fraz

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Fraz NAME: Frazer STORY: I don't really triathlon, but would like to get into it. I am a reasonable runner, slow swimmer, and bike-less cyclist. FAMILY STATUS: Common-law. No children. CURRENT TRAINING: Too ad hoc. I have started a spin class, run with some frequency. THIS YEAR'S RACES: Nothing. 2014 RACES: I would like to be ready for a 70.3. WEIGHTLOSS: No loss, just more (some) muscle! WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have a lot to learn.

Welcome Fraz!

And welcome to tri.  It's a blast (warning, it can be addictive).  

Looking forward to seeing how your season goes and what parts of the sport get you jazzed - exciting to be coming into it "fresh!"

Have you cycled much before, or will it be new to you?

Matt

2013-12-27 9:49 AM

Hi Matt, many thanks. It will largely be new (once I get a bike!) Fraz
2013-12-27 10:18 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thank you Fred. Your are welcomed here any time.

2013-12-27 10:38 AM
in reply to: Fraz

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Fraz

NAME: Frazer

STORY: I don't really triathlon, but would like to get into it. I am a reasonable runner, slow swimmer, and bike-less cyclist.

FAMILY STATUS: Common-law. No children.

CURRENT TRAINING: Too ad hoc. I have started a spin class, run with some frequency.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Nothing.

2014 RACES: I would like to be ready for a 70.3.

WEIGHTLOSS: No loss, just more (some) muscle!

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have a lot to learn.

Hey Frazer, welcome to the group!

You can most certainly get hooked on tri's. It is a great sport with lots of challenges and rewards. BT is a nice site to get started with the sport. Great support, free info and logging. Many more benefits.

Bikeless huh....well that is a pickle. Spin class is a great start to get your cycling fitness. I did years of spin during the off seasons (Winter) or when I was without a bike.
2013-12-27 12:03 PM

Master
Englewood, Florida

If possible, I'd love to get in this group, please.

Name - cdban66/Chris

STORY: I had been somewhat athletic in High School, playing soccer, beach volleyball and basketball, but that was a long time ago. Marriage, two children, business ownership, and the general busyness of life just got in the way. A few years back I began going to the gym, lifting weights and such. Then, in late July, 2010, we had a family weight loss challenge. In order to lose (BTW, I did win the challenge), I began running. My youngest daughter suggested we run a race at Disney, so I began to prep for that and my oldest sister joined in as well. Before that race had happened, I began looking for more challenge/diversity, since I was enjoying the training. I had a friend who had been in tri’s a while back, he gave me his old bike and it grew from there. Now I try to race a few times a year and have begun to consider longer races in my future

STATUS: I am a 6’3”, 47 yr old male and I've been married for nearly 27 years. I have 2 girls, ages 23 and 25. My wife, Ann or TW (THE Wife), is the most wonderful person a man could have in his life and has been very supportive of this addition to my lifestyle.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently in a run focus stage, but in about mid February, after a trail race, I will move to all 3 sports. I have found that I really enjoy trail running, so part of my training is done there whenever possible. More than anything else, this has been about changing to a less sedentary lifestyle.

LAST YEAR: 2012 and 2013 were skinny racing, or should I say participating, years. I did a couple of races, but family obligations (there were many) took precedence, as they always do. My hope is to see time improvements from last year, especially in the run, and advances in my overall endurance fitness.

2013 RACES: I PR'd my HM in March. That was followed by a couple of sprints during the summer, a pretty good bike crash in the middle of a July race was the lowlight. I pretty much stopped racing by September.

2014 races: Flatwoods Ramble 10 mile trail run in Feb. Probably about 3 or 4 sprints in the summer, then something longer at the end of the season. All this is very soft and I hope to sit down and firm it all up in early January.

BODY COMP: As I mentioned above, this all started as part of a family weight loss challenge. I started at 240 lbs. At my lowest I had reached 207, which felt low for me. Currently I am about 225, with a goal weight of 210+/- for race season.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am not the fastest, but I am supportive, upbeat, and really do want to be a better triathlete. I am starting a single speed/fixie bike build in January, with the intention of learning more on the mechanical side. I have an eye towards a tri bike build in the future. And I recently recieved a Timex Global Trainer, so I have a learning curve on the gadget side of things.

2013-12-27 1:20 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by cdban66

Name - cdban66/Chris

STORY: I had been somewhat athletic in High School, playing soccer, beach volleyball and basketball, but that was a long time ago. Marriage, two children, business ownership, and the general busyness of life just got in the way. A few years back I began going to the gym, lifting weights and such. Then, in late July, 2010, we had a family weight loss challenge. In order to lose (BTW, I did win the challenge), I began running. My youngest daughter suggested we run a race at Disney, so I began to prep for that and my oldest sister joined in as well. Before that race had happened, I began looking for more challenge/diversity, since I was enjoying the training. I had a friend who had been in tri’s a while back, he gave me his old bike and it grew from there. Now I try to race a few times a year and have begun to consider longer races in my future

STATUS: I am a 6’3”, 47 yr old male and I've been married for nearly 27 years. I have 2 girls, ages 23 and 25. My wife, Ann or TW (THE Wife), is the most wonderful person a man could have in his life and has been very supportive of this addition to my lifestyle.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently in a run focus stage, but in about mid February, after a trail race, I will move to all 3 sports. I have found that I really enjoy trail running, so part of my training is done there whenever possible. More than anything else, this has been about changing to a less sedentary lifestyle.

LAST YEAR: 2012 and 2013 were skinny racing, or should I say participating, years. I did a couple of races, but family obligations (there were many) took precedence, as they always do. My hope is to see time improvements from last year, especially in the run, and advances in my overall endurance fitness.

2013 RACES: I PR'd my HM in March. That was followed by a couple of sprints during the summer, a pretty good bike crash in the middle of a July race was the lowlight. I pretty much stopped racing by September.

2014 races: Flatwoods Ramble 10 mile trail run in Feb. Probably about 3 or 4 sprints in the summer, then something longer at the end of the season. All this is very soft and I hope to sit down and firm it all up in early January.

BODY COMP: As I mentioned above, this all started as part of a family weight loss challenge. I started at 240 lbs. At my lowest I had reached 207, which felt low for me. Currently I am about 225, with a goal weight of 210+/- for race season.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am not the fastest, but I am supportive, upbeat, and really do want to be a better triathlete. I am starting a single speed/fixie bike build in January, with the intention of learning more on the mechanical side. I have an eye towards a tri bike build in the future. And I recently recieved a Timex Global Trainer, so I have a learning curve on the gadget side of things.

Chris welcome to the group!

Glad to have you in the group. I know or read you were looking for the right group, I hope you found it. I’ll do my best to help in any way I can.

My wife is just known as the CFO.

Edited by BrotherTri 2013-12-27 1:20 PM
2013-12-27 1:38 PM

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks James. I like the idea of a group/mentors with a strong background and the willingness to give me an occasional "man up" if I need it.

Looking forward to a good start to the year.

2013-12-27 5:40 PM

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Greetings, I'd be interested in joining this group.

NAME: tedjohn/ Ted

STORY: I've been a runner for as long as I can remember and did a fair amount of racing as an adult ranging from 5k's to a marathon. In 2010, I started training for my first triathlon and was hooked long before my first race (a sprint distance). During the last four years I've continued to do a handful of triathlons each season including a couple of 70.3 distances the last two years (more on that later). My older brother joined in the fun a couple of years ago and although we live a couple of hours apart, we still manage to do a few events together each year. There are many reasons that I "triathlon," but the main reason is that I enjoy the training and racing. I like that triathlon requires a little more complexity in terms of preparation and strategy.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for 18 years and we have two daughters (12 and 7). My wife is athletic and although she isn't a triathlete, she supports me in my endurance endeavors.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, I'm doing a bit of running and cycling. I will get a little more serious after the New Year. Work keeps me pretty busy during the week so I try to manage a couple of workouts Monday-Friday and make my key workouts on the weekend. In the summer months, I have a bit more time and will usually train 6x/ week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2013 was a big year for me in terms of non-triathlon events. I did a 50 mile trail race in May, a Century Ride in June and a 2.4 OWS race in July. In fact I didn't compete in a triathlon until the last day of August last year. My season came to an abrupt end at Austin 70.3 in late October. I crashed my bike at about 48 miles and took a trip to the hospital with a broken collarbone, cracked rib, and plenty of road rash. A bit of a disappointing finish as I was on pace to PR by 30-45 minutes. After a month off, I've been able to do some riding on the trainer and I started running again about 3 weeks ago.

2014 RACES: I have a fairly busy year planned so far, but my main events look like this:
May: Ordinary Mortals Sprint (reverse order triathlon)
June: Boulder Sunrise Olympic
July: Self supported 70.3 (with big brother)
September: Harvest Moon 70.3 (This is my A race)
October: Blue Sky Trail Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently at 6'1" and about 170 lbs. I generally race somewhere between 162-165.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I just really enjoy triathlon and the opportunity to learn more from others would be great. I'm a regular visitor to BT and it's my primary log for training.
2013-12-27 7:15 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by tedjohn

Greetings, I'd be interested in joining this group.

NAME: tedjohn/ Ted

STORY: I've been a runner for as long as I can remember and did a fair amount of racing as an adult ranging from 5k's to a marathon. In 2010, I started training for my first triathlon and was hooked long before my first race (a sprint distance). During the last four years I've continued to do a handful of triathlons each season including a couple of 70.3 distances the last two years (more on that later). My older brother joined in the fun a couple of years ago and although we live a couple of hours apart, we still manage to do a few events together each year. There are many reasons that I "triathlon," but the main reason is that I enjoy the training and racing. I like that triathlon requires a little more complexity in terms of preparation and strategy.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for 18 years and we have two daughters (12 and 7). My wife is athletic and although she isn't a triathlete, she supports me in my endurance endeavors.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, I'm doing a bit of running and cycling. I will get a little more serious after the New Year. Work keeps me pretty busy during the week so I try to manage a couple of workouts Monday-Friday and make my key workouts on the weekend. In the summer months, I have a bit more time and will usually train 6x/ week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2013 was a big year for me in terms of non-triathlon events. I did a 50 mile trail race in May, a Century Ride in June and a 2.4 OWS race in July. In fact I didn't compete in a triathlon until the last day of August last year. My season came to an abrupt end at Austin 70.3 in late October. I crashed my bike at about 48 miles and took a trip to the hospital with a broken collarbone, cracked rib, and plenty of road rash. A bit of a disappointing finish as I was on pace to PR by 30-45 minutes. After a month off, I've been able to do some riding on the trainer and I started running again about 3 weeks ago.

2014 RACES: I have a fairly busy year planned so far, but my main events look like this:
May: Ordinary Mortals Sprint (reverse order triathlon)
June: Boulder Sunrise Olympic
July: Self supported 70.3 (with big brother)
September: Harvest Moon 70.3 (This is my A race)
October: Blue Sky Trail Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently at 6'1" and about 170 lbs. I generally race somewhere between 162-165.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I just really enjoy triathlon and the opportunity to learn more from others would be great. I'm a regular visitor to BT and it's my primary log for training.

Ted welcome to the group!

Glad you survived your ordeal at Austin 70.3 and are recovering quickly. That was quite a spill to get that banged up. Your race year looks good with a nice range of distances.

2013-12-27 7:48 PM

Would love to join this group.
NAME: jwthomas/ Joel

STORY: Looking forward to my first Tri season in 2014. Played multiple sports through high school (mostly football and track) and the military has kept me in pretty decent shape over the years. Now over 40, the pounding of running all of the time has started taking its toll and the regular weightlifting routine has lost its luster so I started looking for new and exciting ways to maintain my fitness. I always wanted to try a triathlon but I never took the time to work on my limiting factor, swimming. I started putting time in the pool (with little gains) in 2013 for cross training as I prepared for the 2013 MCM. During my training for the MCM I knew I would need another challenge after that race and decided on a triathlon to keep me active, work on a weakness, set a healthy example for my family and stay excited about getting up early to train. Plus Santa brought a new road bike, might as well put it to good use.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 boys 17yrs old/9yrs old/18months

CURRENT TRAINING: right now run focused in preparation form Shamrock ½ Marathon; Mon, Wed, Sat—Run (repeats, tempo, long base); Tue, Thur—Swim (trying to work on technique) Fri, Sun—rest

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Run for the dream ½ Marathon (family race weekend [FRW], 8k, 1mile fun run), Hustle & Bustle 10k (FRW 5k), Crawling Crab 5k (FRW 5k), Marine Corps Marathon.

2014 RACES: Shamrock ½ Marathon-March, Smithfield sprint triathlon- April, Quantico triathlon-August and maybe a few more depending on how training goes. Goals for this year: Swim 400-500 meters freestyle without rest strokes or breaks; 40 minute 5 mile; gain experience on bike (to inexperienced to set a realistic goal).

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes; 2013 went from 225 lbs to 193 lbs would love to get back to my fighting weight around 185.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: A love for learning, improving, sharing and helping.

2013-12-27 9:05 PM

Yang Min Shan, T'ai-pei
Hey James, I would like to join the group.

USERNAME: TK, First Name: Tom

STORY: I am 48 years old. After aspiring to run a triathlon for several years, in 2013 I completed the Abu Dhabi International sprint (normal sprint with a 50KM bike) in March and the Deschutes Dash Oly in July. I also ran the Tararoko Gorge (Taiwan) 1/2 Marathon in Nov. I currently live in Taipei, Taiwan.

I was hoping for a full season of races this year but I am three weeks post surgery for a full thickness tear of my supraspinatis tendon in my left shoulder. I am hoping to start running again in two or three weeks and start biking in the middle of February. I don't think i will be able to start swimming until April or May. I am tentatively planning to run the Deschutes Dash Oly in July, another Oly in September and the HIM - Taiwan in November. I hope to run one or two 1/2 marathons between September and November.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with two daughter (14, 10). My wife is a runner and I hope to talk her into competing in a Sprint in 2014.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently in injury recovery mode. I hope to restart soon!

WEIGHT LOSS: I am 5' 9" and currently weight 187. I raced last year at 182. I hope to weight between 170 and 175 by July. I want to lose 5 pounds before I start training again and then cut another 5 or 10 pounds during my training.

WHAT WILL MAKE A GOOD MENTEE: This will be my second year as a mentee in a BeginnerTriathlete.com support group. I will reach out to the group with questions or information that I hope the entire group will benefit from.
2013-12-27 10:03 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Name - cdban66/Chris

Hey Chris, that's awesome that your whole family was in on the weightless challenge, you dropped a bunch of weight and PR'd the HM! Heckuva year, for sure. Sounds like this will be an exciting season for you, too. How long is "longer" toward the end - thinking of a long sprint or OLY? Fun stuff! Matt
2013-12-27 10:09 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by tedjohnGreetings, I'd be interested in joining this group.NAME: tedjohn/ TedSTORY: I've been a runner for as long as I can remember and did a fair amount of racing as an adult ranging from 5k's to a marathon. In 2010, I started training for my first triathlon and was hooked long before my first race (a sprint distance). During the last four years I've continued to do a handful of triathlons each season including a couple of 70.3 distances the last two years (more on that later). My older brother joined in the fun a couple of years ago and although we live a couple of hours apart, we still manage to do a few events together each year. There are many reasons that I "triathlon," but the main reason is that I enjoy the training and racing. I like that triathlon requires a little more complexity in terms of preparation and strategy. FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for 18 years and we have two daughters (12 and 7). My wife is athletic and although she isn't a triathlete, she supports me in my endurance endeavors. CURRENT TRAINING: Right now, I'm doing a bit of running and cycling. I will get a little more serious after the New Year. Work keeps me pretty busy during the week so I try to manage a couple of workouts Monday-Friday and make my key workouts on the weekend. In the summer months, I have a bit more time and will usually train 6x/ week.THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2013 was a big year for me in terms of non-triathlon events. I did a 50 mile trail race in May, a Century Ride in June and a 2.4 OWS race in July. In fact I didn't compete in a triathlon until the last day of August last year. My season came to an abrupt end at Austin 70.3 in late October. I crashed my bike at about 48 miles and took a trip to the hospital with a broken collarbone, cracked rib, and plenty of road rash. A bit of a disappointing finish as I was on pace to PR by 30-45 minutes. After a month off, I've been able to do some riding on the trainer and I started running again about 3 weeks ago. 2014 RACES: I have a fairly busy year planned so far, but my main events look like this:May: Ordinary Mortals Sprint (reverse order triathlon)June: Boulder Sunrise Olympic July: Self supported 70.3 (with big brother)September: Harvest Moon 70.3 (This is my A race)October: Blue Sky Trail MarathonWEIGHTLOSS: Currently at 6'1" and about 170 lbs. I generally race somewhere between 162-165.WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I just really enjoy triathlon and the opportunity to learn more from others would be great. I'm a regular visitor to BT and it's my primary log for training.
Great to have such an experienced runner in the group! That crash sounds aweful (broken those bones myself, and it sux out loud!) - glad you're able to get back at it. Sounds like quite a season already lined up, too, and I think it's very cool you get to race with your brother. Matt
2013-12-27 10:14 PM
in reply to: jwthomas

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by jwthomasWould love to join this group.NAME: jwthomas/ Joel STORY: Looking forward to my first Tri season in 2014. Played multiple sports through high school (mostly football and track) and the military has kept me in pretty decent shape over the years. Now over 40, the pounding of running all of the time has started taking its toll and the regular weightlifting routine has lost its luster so I started looking for new and exciting ways to maintain my fitness. I always wanted to try a triathlon but I never took the time to work on my limiting factor, swimming. I started putting time in the pool (with little gains) in 2013 for cross training as I prepared for the 2013 MCM. During my training for the MCM I knew I would need another challenge after that race and decided on a triathlon to keep me active, work on a weakness, set a healthy example for my family and stay excited about getting up early to train. Plus Santa brought a new road bike, might as well put it to good use.FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 boys 17yrs old/9yrs old/18months CURRENT TRAINING: right now run focused in preparation form Shamrock ½ Marathon; Mon, Wed, Sat—Run (repeats, tempo, long base); Tue, Thur—Swim (trying to work on technique) Fri, Sun—restTHIS YEAR'S RACES: Run for the dream ½ Marathon (family race weekend [FRW], 8k, 1mile fun run), Hustle & Bustle 10k (FRW 5k), Crawling Crab 5k (FRW 5k), Marine Corps Marathon. 2014 RACES: Shamrock ½ Marathon-March, Smithfield sprint triathlon- April, Quantico triathlon-August and maybe a few more depending on how training goes. Goals for this year: Swim 400-500 meters freestyle without rest strokes or breaks; 40 minute 5 mile; gain experience on bike (to inexperienced to set a realistic goal).WEIGHTLOSS: Yes; 2013 went from 225 lbs to 193 lbs would love to get back to my fighting weight around 185.WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: A love for learning, improving, sharing and helping.
Hi Joel. I hear on the running getting to you more once past 40. I found that tri training has let me significantly up the total stress without increasing my chance of injury (that usually comes with a heavy run focus - like I'm on now... Gotta watch out!). Are you still in the service? Great goals you've set - it'll be fun watching you achieve and break those this season! Matt
2013-12-28 8:21 AM
in reply to: jwthomas

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by jwthomas

Would love to join this group.
NAME: jwthomas/ Joel

STORY: Looking forward to my first Tri season in 2014. Played multiple sports through high school (mostly football and track) and the military has kept me in pretty decent shape over the years. Now over 40, the pounding of running all of the time has started taking its toll and the regular weightlifting routine has lost its luster so I started looking for new and exciting ways to maintain my fitness. I always wanted to try a triathlon but I never took the time to work on my limiting factor, swimming. I started putting time in the pool (with little gains) in 2013 for cross training as I prepared for the 2013 MCM. During my training for the MCM I knew I would need another challenge after that race and decided on a triathlon to keep me active, work on a weakness, set a healthy example for my family and stay excited about getting up early to train. Plus Santa brought a new road bike, might as well put it to good use.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 boys 17yrs old/9yrs old/18months

CURRENT TRAINING: right now run focused in preparation form Shamrock ½ Marathon; Mon, Wed, Sat—Run (repeats, tempo, long base); Tue, Thur—Swim (trying to work on technique) Fri, Sun—rest

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Run for the dream ½ Marathon (family race weekend [FRW], 8k, 1mile fun run), Hustle & Bustle 10k (FRW 5k), Crawling Crab 5k (FRW 5k), Marine Corps Marathon.

2014 RACES: Shamrock ½ Marathon-March, Smithfield sprint triathlon- April, Quantico triathlon-August and maybe a few more depending on how training goes. Goals for this year: Swim 400-500 meters freestyle without rest strokes or breaks; 40 minute 5 mile; gain experience on bike (to inexperienced to set a realistic goal).

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes; 2013 went from 225 lbs to 193 lbs would love to get back to my fighting weight around 185.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: A love for learning, improving, sharing and helping.

Joel welcome to the group!

Thank for your services to our country. I severed in the US Army. My son will be station at Quantico as of the 1st of the year. Your goals for 2014 are very obtainable with the proper training. We can help you get there to do the work. BT has some very good basic sprint plans.

2013-12-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: TK

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by TK

Hey James, I would like to join the group.

USERNAME: TK, First Name: Tom

STORY: I am 48 years old. After aspiring to run a triathlon for several years, in 2013 I completed the Abu Dhabi International sprint (normal sprint with a 50KM bike) in March and the Deschutes Dash Oly in July. I also ran the Tararoko Gorge (Taiwan) 1/2 Marathon in Nov. I currently live in Taipei, Taiwan.

I was hoping for a full season of races this year but I am three weeks post surgery for a full thickness tear of my supraspinatis tendon in my left shoulder. I am hoping to start running again in two or three weeks and start biking in the middle of February. I don't think i will be able to start swimming until April or May. I am tentatively planning to run the Deschutes Dash Oly in July, another Oly in September and the HIM - Taiwan in November. I hope to run one or two 1/2 marathons between September and November.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with two daughter (14, 10). My wife is a runner and I hope to talk her into competing in a Sprint in 2014.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently in injury recovery mode. I hope to restart soon!

WEIGHT LOSS: I am 5' 9" and currently weight 187. I raced last year at 182. I hope to weight between 170 and 175 by July. I want to lose 5 pounds before I start training again and then cut another 5 or 10 pounds during my training.

WHAT WILL MAKE A GOOD MENTEE: This will be my second year as a mentee in a BeginnerTriathlete.com support group. I will reach out to the group with questions or information that I hope the entire group will benefit from.

Tom welcome to the group!

A international Triathlete, very cool. I have found that the pool is my friend with injuries, granted if it not swimming related injury. Glad to have you in the group.
2013-12-28 1:32 PM

Master
Englewood, Florida

Matt, Rev3 Venice is 30 minutes from my house. I was going to do the Oly last year, but that fell apart. So, I am not sure how far I'll go, but either the oly or the half is on the possibility list for 2014.

2013-12-28 3:10 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Holy cow Chris, that sounds like a great opportunity to race a quality race. I have yet to do a Rev3 event but hear good things. Late in the season could give you more time to safely build.
2013-12-28 8:27 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Matt, Rev3 Venice is 30 minutes from my house. I was going to do the Oly last year, but that fell apart. So, I am not sure how far I'll go, but either the oly or the half is on the possibility list for 2014.

I've also heard great things about the Rev3 races and was close to doing one in the fall last year (decide to injure myself training for a marathon instead - wonder which choice I should've made, huh?).  It's great that you have the option for the Oly or the Half - let's you decide what distance closer to the date based on training, provided the race doesn't sell out.

Do you know if they filled early last year?  Would be great if you could audible a bit into the season...

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98126 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15688 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28872 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60091 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.