BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-03-19 5:24 AM
in reply to: jwthomas

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED
Joel, I'm glad you enjoyed your run with your children. It is so good to get and keep them involved in sports. Also glad you enjoyed your half!

Ted, yea still working on the swim and I agree with you, I try to survive the swim and then enjoy passing folks on the ride and run...lol becuase everyone passes me on the swim.

I really thik I'm going to start training for a full marathon. I', also trying out the new New Balance foam shoes with a drop 4. I'm transitioning from a drop 8. When i do back to a drop 12, I feel like I'm clunking.

2014-03-19 7:26 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Joel, nice job on the family race. It is really cool when you can get out there with people that are really important in your life and have fun.

Karl, I am currently in a shoe with an 8 mm drop. I started out bigger than that and I agree, if I went back to those it would seem a bit on the clunky side.

Keep on keeping on everyone!

2014-03-19 7:33 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

New user
I'm getting more and more comfortable with the swim. Still lacking endurance but I have hopes that will build with time and more practice. Had swim class last night. Towards the end of class I've been having foot cramp issues. Middle of my foot and my toes. Instructor mentioned dehydration, but I'm very good about drinking water throughout the day. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Nutrition? Something else?
2014-03-19 8:14 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Swimming is tough and it's definitely the area where I've seen the least progress over the last four years. Then again, it's also the area where I've put the least amount of training in (which kind of makes sense considering it's the shortest of the events in a triathlon). I'm trying to change that a bit this year however. Since January, I've managed to get to the pool at least 2 times each week (the only exception being last week when I was sick). I think the increased volume is helping. I also try to practice drills, sets, etc. on one of those days (as opposed to just an endurance swim). Next week is Spring Break and I discovered that the local University's rec center will remain open. I'm hoping to do a swim there each morning next week.
2014-03-24 5:11 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

The weather was nice enough to finally get out on the new bike and it felt great. I have to admit it took a little fumbling around, and some assistance from a considerate seasoned rider, to figure out the Presta valve and pump up the tires (felt like a super rookie). Once I got rolling the bike felt extremely responsive. I did get a little nervous on a few short downhills, the speed was unexpectedly super fast. The only thing I could think about was just holding it steady and ended up staying on the breaks most of the time. Any suggestions on handling fast down hills? Or is it something I will should get use to with more time in the saddle?
2014-03-24 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Joel, for me there are 3 things that continue to help. 1) Time/practice. Every time I get on the bike, I get better, it is just natural. 2) Bike skills class. One of the groups I joined at the beginning of this had a coach that gave a skills class one Saturday morning. While it was geared towards a bit lower level rider than I, I found things in it that helped me. 3) Group rides. I ride in group whenever I can. There are some real good riders there, and I try to pick up things by watching and simply being alert.

Keep riding, saddle time is of the utmost importance. Someday I hope to be a better rider, tomorrow will be that day. As will the day after.

2014-03-25 8:21 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Completely agree with Chris' advice.

I'd also add that desensitizing to it gradually can help.  Start with more modest hills and descend them until you are comfortable just coasting down them.  Then add some power while descending until you feel like it's "normal" to push on the pedals while going down.  Then add in some modest descents with easy turns and then sharper turns.

I'd say that only when you are comfortable on these kinds of descents should you start pushing into the steeper ones.  Sure, you should still ride wherever you want to ride, but don't PUSH the steep ones until you're comfortable on the moderate ones.  

So, a combination of just doing it more and a step-wise approach to pushing out your skill envelope should work.  Pretty soon, you won't be riding the brakes but pushing hard in aero for those few extra seconds (but PLEASE not until you feel comfortable with the bike under you!).  

Matt

2014-03-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Speaking of bikes, ya'll be careful, someone was hit by a car while riding in our town yesterday.

Yes, definitely, ride more and get used to going fast, gradually. It would not be fun to wipe out going fast.

I'm still breaking in the NewBalance 980 and so far love them. They are the drop 4 on foam. When I transitioned rom a 12 to an 8 drop I had major calf soreness. As of now I've had no soreness. The 1st 2 days i ran just 1 mile with them but this weekend i ran 7+ miles one day and 9+ the next and not sore at all.

Off subject but ya'll over 50 in age, it is time to get your colonoscopy if you haven't. I did mine yesterday. A friend who did not is dying of cancer right now. It is not fun but not awful, just do it.
2014-03-25 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by KWDreamun Speaking of bikes, ya'll be careful, someone was hit by a car while riding in our town yesterday. Yes, definitely, ride more and get used to going fast, gradually. It would not be fun to wipe out going fast. I'm still breaking in the NewBalance 980 and so far love them. They are the drop 4 on foam. When I transitioned rom a 12 to an 8 drop I had major calf soreness. As of now I've had no soreness. The 1st 2 days i ran just 1 mile with them but this weekend i ran 7+ miles one day and 9+ the next and not sore at all. Off subject but ya'll over 50 in age, it is time to get your colonoscopy if you haven't. I did mine yesterday. A friend who did not is dying of cancer right now. It is not fun but not awful, just do it.

Owww, so sorry to see this. 

And I'll add my PSA on skin cancer. If you do a lot of outside training, use sunscreen. Get checked at least once a year. And if you aren't outside much, use sunscreen more!

2014-03-30 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Ran a 10K race this weekend, it was flooding prior to the race, then at race time it quit for the race start and then started drizzling at mile 1 and turned into a steady rain about mile 3 - 4, then became a light drizzle. My finishing time was 46.57. The winner was 30 minutes and something but he also got silver in the 1 mile race in the Olympics...lol

I have lots of work to do on my running.

I'm supposed to do a sprint tri next weekend but not sure right now since i haven't been in the water in 2 weeks, not sure I can swim 600 yards.
2014-03-30 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Congrats on your 10k. Sounds like the weather was "fun"! No racing for me, but it was nice to get a bike ride in that was "wind free" for a change.

2014-03-31 9:37 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

New user
Completed my first indoor Triathlon on Saturday. I ran well considering I've focused on the swimming for most of the past month. We started out on the bike for 12 miles on the trainer. Completely sweat soaked by the time I finished. They turned fans on about half way through which was really just a better late than never scenario. Finished in 36:25 on the bike. Was hoping to be a bit faster being it was a trainer but I was trying to save energy for the run and swim. The run was on a treadmill and was slightly disappointed with my 5k time of 23:27. The run is my strong point and figured to be at least a minute or two faster, but again I haven't been focusing much on the run and was saving something for the swim. The swim went about as well as it could. I finished just under 17 minutes to take 2nd male overall. 1st place guy swam 2x my swim and was a good 10 minutes ahead. I did have cramping issues during the swim. Both my thighs cramped bad. First my right and then as I progressed my left as well. I finished and could barely walk. These cramping issues are quite new to me. I've only ever cramped up in marathons and that's after a good 2.5 hours of running (about 8 miles to go) I'm hoping with more training and experimenting with nutrition will help deter the cramps later on in the year. I drink plenty of fluids, gatorade/water and had a banana before the race. Would ya recommend more food during a race? I'm open to suggestions. Overall I had a lot of fun and gained some confidence/experience going into Tri season in a couple months. Thanks.

Scott
2014-03-31 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats, you did awesome 2nd out of the water!!! Hey, with the swim being your weak link I understand, after biking and running, unless you are comfortable in the water you use much more energy there. It was probably ot a nutrition thing but just being tense after the bike and run. 23 + on the dread mill is great too...running outside is MUCH more enjoyable and faster than on the ratwheel.

you did great!
2014-04-01 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Joel, I was thinking about you this week on my 2 rides. 2 different bikes, 2 different "feels". For me there were 2 completely different thought processes as well. Just gotta keep riding!

2014-04-01 7:45 PM

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to get one or two short rides in this week before "My first Sprint Triathlon" this weekend. Regardless, my race plan is fairly simple: 1) take it easy 2) don't drown 3) don't crash the bike, 4) keep moving on the run 5) watch others/learn and 6) have a blast.

If yall don't hear from me in about a week than the race might not have went as planned
2014-04-02 5:27 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Where is your race this weekend. I would say break a leg but I won't, so best of luck to you!

2014-04-02 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jwthomas Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to get one or two short rides in this week before "My first Sprint Triathlon" this weekend. Regardless, my race plan is fairly simple: 1) take it easy 2) don't drown 3) don't crash the bike, 4) keep moving on the run 5) watch others/learn and 6) have a blast. If yall don't hear from me in about a week than the race might not have went as planned

Ha!

Have a great time!  Sounds like you have the right attitude going in - too many people get freaked out and don't enjoy the experience early on (speaking from experience).

Remember, Race Report or it didn't happen.  

Good luck and have a great time.

Matt

2014-04-02 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 Completed my first indoor Triathlon on Saturday. I ran well considering I've focused on the swimming for most of the past month. We started out on the bike for 12 miles on the trainer. Completely sweat soaked by the time I finished. They turned fans on about half way through which was really just a better late than never scenario. Finished in 36:25 on the bike. Was hoping to be a bit faster being it was a trainer but I was trying to save energy for the run and swim. The run was on a treadmill and was slightly disappointed with my 5k time of 23:27. The run is my strong point and figured to be at least a minute or two faster, but again I haven't been focusing much on the run and was saving something for the swim. The swim went about as well as it could. I finished just under 17 minutes to take 2nd male overall. 1st place guy swam 2x my swim and was a good 10 minutes ahead. I did have cramping issues during the swim. Both my thighs cramped bad. First my right and then as I progressed my left as well. I finished and could barely walk. These cramping issues are quite new to me. I've only ever cramped up in marathons and that's after a good 2.5 hours of running (about 8 miles to go) I'm hoping with more training and experimenting with nutrition will help deter the cramps later on in the year. I drink plenty of fluids, gatorade/water and had a banana before the race. Would ya recommend more food during a race? I'm open to suggestions. Overall I had a lot of fun and gained some confidence/experience going into Tri season in a couple months. Thanks. Scott

Yow - PODIUM!  That's a fantastic result - congrats!

Outdoor races are, at least to me, way more fun (although I have to admit I've never done an organized indoor race - only ever done that by myself out of curiousity - but it was not as fun at outdoors!), so you have that to look forward to.

As for the cramps/nutrition, it doesn't sound (to me, at least) like nutrition was the issue.  For races of about an hour to 90' or so (typical sprints), the body has enough energy.  I'll sometimes still take a GU on the bike, but often just use a drink with a little sugar in it, as during a short race you're going so close to "red-line" that the gut doesn't really want to take much in anyway.  On longer races, as the intensity drops and the gut is able to process more, you also need (or at least benefit from) more calories during the race - kinda nice how those overlap!

Usually, cramping is more due to pushing beyond where our fitness is at that point (although cramping is poorly understood in general, it seems more a conditioning issue - especially at shorter distances, where dehydration and total body cramps are less likely).  I've noticed that my quads, abductors and occasionally my calves/feet will cramp at the end of a swim if I've run or ridden first that day, and at distances in the swim where they wouldn't ever cramp otherwise.  Mostly when I come off the wall, too, so I only saw this during a pool swim at the end of a double (not an OWS).

So, your cramps might have just been a new kind of stress on the muscles (swim after a bike and run).  Either way, something to note and watch as you progress through the season.

Great result and sounds like it was a blast!  What else is on tap this season?

Matt

2014-04-02 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

OK y'all (did I do that right?  still trying to figure out how to speak southern), what are your race plans for the season, now that we're a bit closer?

We just did a HM a couple weeks ago - first race of the year and we both (Better Half and I) PR'd, which was nice.  Might do a sprint to knock the rust off mid-May (brrrrr) before my first A race - the Grand Rapids HIM on 6/8.  Probably a few local 5k's with the Better Half and kids during the spring, but will have to see how a tweaked hamstring responds over the next month or so.  There are a couple other possible tri's (Oly in VT), but they might be hard to fit into the schedule...

Second half of my season has a July sprint (Falmouth) and Oly (Nantucket).  Toying with AGN sprint and oly in Milwaukee in August (logistics are tough on that one) and then Timberman HIM middle of August.  Would be badazzed to do the AGN's as the end of my "peak" weeks for the HIM and then taper into Timberman the next weekend, but that's a LOT of travel/racing over those weeks (and I have to remember I have a life, too!).

Fall will be a couple fun sprints with friends.  Thinking about trying CycloCross, too.  We'll see on all that...

What're you planning?

Matt

2014-04-02 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

OK y'all (did I do that right?  still trying to figure out how to speak southern), what are your race plans for the season, now that we're a bit closer?

We just did a HM a couple weeks ago - first race of the year and we both (Better Half and I) PR'd, which was nice.  Might do a sprint to knock the rust off mid-May (brrrrr) before my first A race - the Grand Rapids HIM on 6/8.  Probably a few local 5k's with the Better Half and kids during the spring, but will have to see how a tweaked hamstring responds over the next month or so.  There are a couple other possible tri's (Oly in VT), but they might be hard to fit into the schedule...

Second half of my season has a July sprint (Falmouth) and Oly (Nantucket).  Toying with AGN sprint and oly in Milwaukee in August (logistics are tough on that one) and then Timberman HIM middle of August.  Would be badazzed to do the AGN's as the end of my "peak" weeks for the HIM and then taper into Timberman the next weekend, but that's a LOT of travel/racing over those weeks (and I have to remember I have a life, too!).

Fall will be a couple fun sprints with friends.  Thinking about trying CycloCross, too.  We'll see on all that...

What're you planning?

Matt

Dude, it's ya'll. 

OK, now that that's out of the way, let's get on to more important things, like what the season holds. I have no clue, other then it will probably end at Rev3 Venice, Oly distance. A few sprints during the summer will probably occur as well, along with a possible late season Oly distance. However, as you may have noticed, my schedule at this point is not exactly set in stone. My plan is to ride my bikes until I need new tires this summer and finally get in the water with some semblance of a plan and consistency. I think the part I want the most is improvement, and racing may not play large a part in this sesason. One more running race in mid April, then on to training all 3 sports.

2014-04-02 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I've figured out I like training and not so much the racing, I get to nervous in a race until it starts then I'm fine. I'm thinking about continuing my swim lessons ggrrllll. I'm still confused as I was hoping the swim would be getting easier but NOOOOOOO!!!!! I think I'll do a marathon in November, continue riding and I love lifting. The problem is, I lose so much weight with the running and I need to gain. I eat ALL the time, but i eat extremely healthy too.

I take things to seriously at races, not life, shoot I am a parrothead...lol and a member of HHH is ya'll know what that is.... sshhhh so I'm thinking about just training, having a beer and training and having a beer and an occasional running race. It makes me feel sick to think about quitting the tri scene but the swim and contact and no where to stop if I need to is just bad!

Matt, be glad I'm typing and not talking because you wouldn't understand me... ever seen Moonshiners.....the guy they have to put captions under when he talks... that is me.

karl

2014-04-02 2:13 PM

User image

New user
I went into the Tri Saturday more to kinda see where I stand fitness wise and see what I could do. I came out of the Tri reinforcing what I thought going in which was swimming = weakest link (but stronger than anticipated, classes must be helping), bike is decent (more saddle time will improve), and run was a touch weaker than I was hoping for. Again, more time pounding pavement will get me back where I want to be.

I have 4 Oly's this summer. First one is 60 days out and it better warm up fast or that water is gonna be cold even with a wetsuit (that I don't have yet). It's a hilly bike and run course so I'm looking forward to the challenge. The second and third Oly's are relatively flat and should be faster courses overall. My final Oly is back to the first course for a second crack at the hills to finish out my season. I'm looking for a 5th to run in but nothing is close enough or gives me enough time between races so at this point 4 will have to do.

Scott
2014-04-02 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by KWDreamun I've figured out I like training and not so much the racing, I get to nervous in a race until it starts then I'm fine. I'm thinking about continuing my swim lessons ggrrllll. I'm still confused as I was hoping the swim would be getting easier but NOOOOOOO!!!!! I think I'll do a marathon in November, continue riding and I love lifting. The problem is, I lose so much weight with the running and I need to gain. I eat ALL the time, but i eat extremely healthy too. I take things to seriously at races, not life, shoot I am a parrothead...lol and a member of HHH is ya'll know what that is.... sshhhh so I'm thinking about just training, having a beer and training and having a beer and an occasional running race. It makes me feel sick to think about quitting the tri scene but the swim and contact and no where to stop if I need to is just bad! Matt, be glad I'm typing and not talking because you wouldn't understand me... ever seen Moonshiners.....the guy they have to put captions under when he talks... that is me. karl

Ever see Goodwill Hunting or hear a Kennedy speech?  Get a half dozen people that sound like each, and it's my Thanksgiving table.  Incomprehensible (even my kids have trouble with it sometimes, and my wife - who is from OH - is lost!).  I drop the occasional "r" - I can't say maRgarita to save my life - but for some reason have a relatively light Boston accent overall...

As for running, lifting, drinking, riding, etc. - hey, this is ALL about doing what you love.  I'm not putting any money on the table with tri's - I just do them because I like it.  When I don't like it so much anymore, I won't do them.  When you have a choice, do what is fun!  For sure, there are enough times when we all don't have that choice…  NO REGRETS!

Matt

2014-04-02 9:54 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
It's been nice getting out on the bike with a little bit of warmer weather. Unfortunately it's supposed to snow so I don't think I'll be back out on the roads for a few days (at least not cycling anyway). My first triathlon (a sprint) is a little over a month away. It's a reverse order event which is always interesting. As for the rest of the summer, I have an Olympic distance in early June. It's in Boulder which is always fun for people watching. My brother and I are doing a century ride a couple of weeks later, and we're planning a self-supported HIM in July near his place in Denver. My "A" race is called the Harvest Moon Triathlon in September. It's a 70.3 distance. I will also be volunteering at a few events this year including Ironman Boulder in August. I want to see it up close and personal before I take the plunge myself!
2014-04-03 6:22 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Volunteering is pretty interesting stuff, I think everyone who races should give it a shot at some point. It is neat to see what all goes on and a great education experience. I did "bike concierge" for the Pros at Rev3 Half a couple years back and it was awesome. I rode in front of the first male runner and went ahead and alerted the aid stations and had stuff waiting for them. Starky led for almost 12 miles, until Jesse Thomas caught him. What a race. You watch those guys and really see the focus and desire during the race. 

Pretty cool that you'll be doing it at Boulder, I would think you'll get a real inside look at a few things. Take as many mental notes as you can.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98124 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15687 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28872 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60088 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.