BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-02-18 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4950920

Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL
I am on of those folks that loves fats so way over on my olive oil, coconut butters, coconut oil. Then I prefer the skin on my chicken and fattier meats. If I had restricted my carbs, I could be a dairy free Atkins diet over here. My body has a quick response time to changes so I lose and gain very quickly and I don't mean water weight. I was about 10 days in when I switched and now 8 days into my switch. I had to make better choices...yes carnitas are perfectly okay but the amount I need to feel full...I would better off with boneless skinless chicken (more volume) and still be able to get some coconut milk without blasting way over my calories. I was eating 2500-3000 calories give or take when not tracking, now around 1800-2000 and losing weight. Feel full in both cases.

2014-02-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: michmich

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

makes sense.  glad you are seeing some improvements!  it's only day 9 for me, and i could probably stand to do pre- and post-workout a little better, but otherwise things are going well.  did you read the book (it starts with food)

i'm getting completely brainwashed by the book - so well-written and carefully explains everything - as well as other things like sleep and meal timing.  love it.

2014-02-18 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4951276

I have not gotten the book. I am more of a traditional eater than Paleo (if we are doing the titles thing). So I will eat grains, wheat flour, beans and nuts if properly prepared (soaked). I DO think too much sugar is a problem. I try not to be fanatical about all whole foods because you will go nuts, go broke or burn out.
2014-02-18 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4951521

As for pre/post workout, I have not been working at all or at levels I need to supplement for and probably won't be until after the 30 days are up. On a normal basis I try to stick to low chemical stuff (Nuum, Honey Stinger, Hammer) but that is one of those things that goes with what will I actually eat/drink and does it help me through my workout. We will see :-)
2014-02-18 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Its hard to jump back in again. This under the weather thing has made me lazy. I've been working out consistently but they're not great workouts (I'm more fatigued). I am eating fairly well although I went cheap/not clean for lunch today. My wife bought me some butternut squash today so I'll be making some soup soon.

My wife finished her 30 day green smoothie challenge yesterday. I had been getting her leftovers and some of them were quite good (a couple not quite so good). So today I missed it. I hadn't realized it but I was getting veggies and not struggling to choke them down so maybe I'll be getting her to continue making them 3 or 4 times a week. I think if I had a whole one to myself at lunch it would keep me satisfied until dinner time.

I made a new dish last night. A BBQ Pork Chop casserole. We had it with baked potatoes and green beans with almond slivers last night and tonight we had it with jasmine rice. It turned out quite good although I may need to do it again to get it right and I need to write out what I did before I forget.

I registered for a couple more races this evening. A GranFondo 160km/100mi bike ride; Across the Lake swim 2100m. Both should be a lot of fun.

Kristen - When I went to enter my upcoming races I wound up adding a couple of last year's races (?). Do you know how to delete them from a race log? I couldn't find a way. Thanks.

Also, this evening I suggested a young lady come and join us. I don't know if she will but I hope it is okay.

2014-02-19 9:38 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Kristen - When I went to enter my upcoming races I wound up adding a couple of last year's races (?). Do you know how to delete them from a race log? I couldn't find a way. Thanks.

Maybe someone knows an easier way, but the only way I found was to go into each race in your race log, then go to edit race report, then way down at the bottom is a delete button. Put in some old races myself and had to do this. It seems like the race log system is harder to navigate since they upgraded the site.

2014-02-19 11:14 AM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I don't know of any way to easily delete races, George - sorry! And I hope your friend does join us - the more the merrier!

OK, folks...so guess what I did this morning....

Holey cow!!!
2014-02-19 11:17 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Champion
On the eating front - not so good.

I was out for my long run yesterday and got a terrible calf cramp...and I was so irritated about it I stopped at McDonald's on the way home. (Yes, during my 2 mile walk from where I cramped up, I actually stopped at a McDonalds. That is the LAST time I go running with more than a dollar or so!) And this morning at swimming, the calf cramped up AGAIN (residual cramping per my coach) so I ate bagel sandwiches for breakfast. OMG I am so ashamed of that.

I logged it. I admitted it. I'm moving on. Healthier lunch - nut crackers and leftover rouladen for lunch (flank steak wrapped around bacon...really quite tasty). And since I logged it, I realize I need a substantial ride tonight to cover dinner. I had a trainer ride planned anyways...but having the numbers staring me in the face is ugly. This is why I need to stick with My Fitness Pal.
2014-02-19 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4951525

Awesome Kristen!!! It is in my mind to one day do an IM distance race but I am too chicken at this point to go beyond a 70.3 even in my imagination. Pretty awesome :-)
2014-02-19 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Congrats! Only 6 short months away!

Originally posted by enders_shadow

I don't know of any way to easily delete races, George - sorry! And I hope your friend does join us - the more the merrier!

OK, folks...so guess what I did this morning....

Holey cow!!!
2014-02-19 9:36 PM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Thanks Tim, that worked great and it wasn't too bad either. I think that may be the only way to do it.

2014-02-19 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
That's exciting news about your IM. Scary. I'll be racing that day too (Challenge Penticton half). I'm still getting pressure to sign up for the full distance but it's a pretty big leap from half to full and I'm not sure I'm willing to put in the work necessary.

My eating today wasn't my best. I had a scone with my coffee after swimming (worse was it wasn't nearly as good as it looked). I should make some of my muffins again. Then after coffee when I got home I went for a run in the sunshine and when I got home I wanted to eat fast because it was getting late so I ate a canned soup (Campbell's with all the salt). Again I didn't enjoy it but it kept me out of the ginger mound cookies. For dinner we had left over jasmine rice so I stir fried some chicken with asparagus on the side and my wife made a Red Curry coconut sauce. So I slightly redeemed myself.

Kristen - I never carry money with me when I run but maybe I should have at least a little money in case of an emergency. I also just realized I have forgotten to wear my road ID for all of my runs this year. I used to love McDonald's (emotional eater) but somehow I've grown out of it. Maybe it was because I retired?

Do you carry a phone with you when you run? I'm thinking I should get in the habit of having a phone with me.
2014-02-20 6:16 AM

User image

Champion

Kristen - I never carry money with me when I run but maybe I should have at least a little money in case of an emergency. I also just realized I have forgotten to wear my road ID for all of my runs this year. I used to love McDonald's (emotional eater) but somehow I've grown out of it. Maybe it was because I retired?

Do you carry a phone with you when you run? I'm thinking I should get in the habit of having a phone with me.

I carry a phone when I bike because I can get a lot further from home. The only time I carry a phone when I run is if I do a point-to-point (e.g., the family is at a soccer game 9 miles away, I leave from there and run home). Otherwise, most of my running routes are loops and clover-leafs, so I'm never really more than 4-5 miles from home, usually much less. I had a $10 in my camelbak from when I did a long point-to-point...worried that I'd need to refill gatorade or something or buy a granola bar...from now on, only $2-3!

And I need to get better with my RoadID again. I always bring it when I travel and when I ride, but running this season (at home) I've been about 50-50.
2014-02-20 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4952138

My phone has a case so I stick a card or a couple bucks in there. It has saved me a few times when I ran out of water or didn't eat before going out in the hot FL sun.

I used to not have a road id...then I got hit by a car while out riding. I could not speak and my bike and I were separated. I wear my Road ID all the time for activities where I will not have my wallet on my person. It can save your life.
2014-02-20 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by michmich

My phone has a case so I stick a card or a couple bucks in there. It has saved me a few times when I ran out of water or didn't eat before going out in the hot FL sun.

I used to not have a road id...then I got hit by a car while out riding. I could not speak and my bike and I were separated. I wear my Road ID all the time for activities where I will not have my wallet on my person. It can save your life.

Wow Michelle. Hope you have no lingering effects. Shows how good an idea a road ID is. A good time to remind ourselves to actually wear them.

Today, we went to Kelowna so we had lunch at a food court. I had some Sushi which I think wasn't too bad but I also had an iced tea. Dinner was left over red curry, chicken and rice with mixed veggie stirfry. So I think I did fairly well.
2014-02-21 5:05 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by michmich My phone has a case so I stick a card or a couple bucks in there. It has saved me a few times when I ran out of water or didn't eat before going out in the hot FL sun. I used to not have a road id...then I got hit by a car while out riding. I could not speak and my bike and I were separated. I wear my Road ID all the time for activities where I will not have my wallet on my person. It can save your life.
Wow Michelle. Hope you have no lingering effects. Shows how good an idea a road ID is. A good time to remind ourselves to actually wear them. Today, we went to Kelowna so we had lunch at a food court. I had some Sushi which I think wasn't too bad but I also had an iced tea. Dinner was left over red curry, chicken and rice with mixed veggie stirfry. So I think I did fairly well.

i sure do miss rice and sushi!!!!

2014-02-21 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4953050

George: my friends call me Bionic Woman ;-) I have been rebuilt which took a little while hence my 3-4 years off from the sport.

I have 9 more days before I can have rice again so I hope you enjoyed that for the three of us :-)
2014-02-22 9:52 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Sorry Marilyn. I didn't mean to promote cravings. The sushi was decent for a food court but not as good as it should be. I really like rice too but I have to be careful with it.
The same day as I had the sushi we were in Costco and I saw they had sushi for sale and I read the nutritional facts. I was surprised that each piece of sushi is about 26 calories. The whole 500g package of 16# pieces was 420 calories. Not as high as I would have guessed.

Michelle - Not too many more days to being allowed rice, eh. Sounds silly now but when I was single I had no clue how to cook potatoes but knew how to make rice (and pasta).

All - I ate what I thought was pretty good yesterday but in the evening I had some hypoglycemic issues that caught me by surprise. I pretty much just slept all evening once I got it under control again.
Earlier in the day I had a disappointing swim because my 1000m TT was slower than I was swimming last year - after having a really good swim on Wednesday. I also went for a run and didn't realize I was just short of a 10K when I stopped. If I had realized it I would have run another 3 minutes or so to complete the 10K.

This morning I had a 2hr cycling class that was a pretty steady Zn3 session.
My eating today was good until dinner when I opted for some highly processed frozen fries. Not a good option at all but I left it too late to come up with a good plan for dinner.

Question - Any thoughts on beef jerky? I think it could be a good snack except it may also be highly processed.

Aside - I really like popcorn as a snack, with butter and a little salt. Microwave popcorns are kind of gross. So I'm considering buying a hot air popcorn popper. Adding a good butter should be better than the microwave stuff.
2014-02-23 7:53 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz Sorry Marilyn. I didn't mean to promote cravings. The sushi was decent for a food court but not as good as it should be. I really like rice too but I have to be careful with it. The same day as I had the sushi we were in Costco and I saw they had sushi for sale and I read the nutritional facts. I was surprised that each piece of sushi is about 26 calories. The whole 500g package of 16# pieces was 420 calories. Not as high as I would have guessed.

Question - Any thoughts on beef jerky? I think it could be a good snack except it may also be highly processed.

2 thoughts here:  Costco sushi sounds disgusting and a little scary.  Hahaha.

Re: jerky:  great snack - basically all protein, high sodium if that is a concern for you (it is not for me).  i personally don't like it but my husband does and it's pretty easy to find options that are little more than beef, salt, and seasoning.  you can also make your own - google for recipes but 10+hours in a low-heat oven will create jerky or dried fruits or all kinds of snacks to eliminate the chemicals.

2014-02-23 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4953388

Jerky is cool. I am going to make some when I get around to it. Not as concerned with sodium for me but my hubs has to watch it.

As for popcorn. Yes you can get the airpopper you can also do in a covered pot on the stove or a brown paper bag in the microwave. I am a popcorn addict and once I found heirloom kernels I am apt to make it once a week if not more.
2014-02-23 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

OK, fellow paleo/whole 30ers, I need help.

i am not as regular as i was pre-whole 30.  generally, this is not an issue.  however, when i run (starting around 3.5/4 miles) i start getting serious gas and have to GO.  this is not good - as i'm struggling to train for a half marathon.  how do i get things moving so i can keep moving during the shamrock!!!!!

sorry for the gross subject matter.

2014-02-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4954155

Are you eating enough fibrous veggies? When I have that problem...brussel sprouts works wonders and am "normal" the next day. It could also be that you are eating more fibre than you did before so your stomach is raising a protest.
2014-02-23 7:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by michmich Are you eating enough fibrous veggies? When I have that problem...brussel sprouts works wonders and am "normal" the next day. It could also be that you are eating more fibre than you did before so your stomach is raising a protest.

interesting.  my MAIN veggies are spinach, sweet potatoes, squash, and broccoli.  just favorites and easy to prep for anything so i keep tons on hand.  i also have carrots and tomatoes pretty frequently.  i eat apples/pears/citrus fruits for my fruit options.  i also have an avocado almost every day.  i had assumed i was getting enough fiber....it could very well be a huge increase from before?

Edited by mehaner 2014-02-23 7:18 PM
2014-02-23 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4915315

Either too much or too little can affect what is going on in your stomach. My tummy is sensitive and I can tell within a few hours if I went one way (too high or low) or another. Did you track your fibre/calories before W30? I would just check a normal day for you pre and during W30 to get the right answer for you.
2014-02-23 8:56 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
First - let me clarify that I agree that Costco sushi is gross. I was only reading the nutritional list on the package.

Marilyn and Michelle - Thanks for your thoughts on the jerky. I might look for some good jerky for light snacking. I had forgotten about just using a pot to make popcorn. It was a great game when I was young, chasing popcorn as it flew out of the pot. I definitely want to do that. I'll get some popping corn PDQ.

Now for the poop!

I just went and reviewed the whole 30 and I would think it shouldn't cause a problem unless it is just a matter of giving your GI Tract enough time to get used to the new diet. You should be getting enough fibre so my 1st thought would be, are you drinking enough water? Beyond that Whole 30 looks like it should support healthy bowels. As Michelle suggests it could be too much fibre but I would've thought that would be a self resolving issue. Maybe not.

Not exactly what you were asking but in terms of running issues different things work for different people: coffee, hot water (stimulates the intestines), dark chocolate, club soda and apparently brussel sprouts - I'll have to try some again myself. If you drink a lot of coffee it may not have the laxative effect on you anymore but in your experience what does seem to work for you?

Come race day - plan to drink some good black coffee (or whatever works to get your intestines moving) so you'll be well flushed out before the start.

God shoot me now!!! Sister wives is on TV and I'm gagging (wearing headphones and listening to loud music while focusing on my laptop to avoid hearing or seeing any of it). Same goes for any of the Housewives as well - especially of Vancouver.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19697 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24143 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15945 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29277 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.