BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-03-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Going backwards
I did a five mile run on Saturday, it was BEAUTIFUL and sunny and 75 degrees... Sunday was my rest day. Yesterday was suppose to be a Bike/Run brick but the temp was 32 degrees and rained all day long. I planned on still riding my bike on the trainer but I was just exhausted so I skipped it. Today I went to the pool and swam 800 and then came home and did a new Sufferfest. With my husband home on Convalescent leave I have cut back on swimming and have been keeping some really late hours. I still struggle with doing freestyle but right now my main concern is my big race coming up on April 12th.... it is taking place in conjunction with a Iron distance half Tri... so instead of swimming I am doing a two mile run then 56 on the bike and then a 13.1 run.... good thing is the course is pancake flat.... a few workout peers have asked why I just don't go in the sprint on the 13th instead of doing this LONG Duathlon.... well simply put the swim is in the lake and it is the same lake that I did my one and only open water swim on a very choppy/windy rough water day and that distance was only 300 meters..... this one would be 750 and I just still DO NOT feel comfortable enough to take on the lake yet. I wish I lived closer to the lake so I could get in and swim more and feel better and confident. We do have the ocean 40 minutes from here but I don't like the waves and always get stung by jelly fish. I have a lot of nervous thoughts right now about this Duathlon. It has been hard training all alone for it. I don't need a group to train with but it sure makes it more enjoyable. Tomorrow I have a five mile run and if it rains then I will go to the gym and get on the Treadmill. I hope everyone has a great and strong week!

2014-03-18 8:19 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: checking back in
Sorry guys. I have been out of it for a week. I spent the last 4 days in Florida and got in NO workouts. When I had time, I was too exhausted to even stand straight. Went for a family function and spent most of my time helping out.

Got a 2 mile run in tonight. Aiming for spin class in the morning.
2014-03-19 6:04 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: checking back in

Hey Darcie, keep focussed and I'm sure you'll manage the duathlon. It is a long distance so in some ways it's easier than a shorter race: just keep plodding along at a steady pace, don't push too hard and you'll get there in the end. 

Lovey, good work getting back into it after the days off! You'll probably be stronger for the break in training .

As for me, I'm nursing a head cold and hoping it will go away soon. I've got a 10km race on Sunday and I don't really want to be sneezing and snotting my way round, so I'm filling up on garlc and vitamin C and taking it easy (a little).

2014-03-19 12:12 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I want to increase the frequency of my swimming since it is my weakest discipline.

Outside of my 2 developmental masters group classes per week, I am following "Swim Zero to 6 miles in 6 weeks"
(http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html).
I am on week 4 and it is a struggle. Has anyone ever done this program? Should I drop back a week? OR
Should I push through week 4 and just repeat it until it's comfortable?

WEEK three:
400 yards...rest for 12 breaths
200 yards...rest for 10 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 8 breathsbetween 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 50s
total: 1200 yards

WEEK four:
600 yards...rest for 10 breaths
300 yards...rest for 8 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 6 breaths between 100s
total: 1500 yards
2014-03-19 12:15 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

It feels like I'm plugging along slowly this week. I keep hoping for a breakthrough in my swimming... that moment where you can just start to go forever and breath freely.

I'm getting better, I can feel it, but I still have scary moments where it feels like if I go another 25 yards I might drown.
2014-03-19 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

I did a five mile run on Saturday, it was BEAUTIFUL and sunny and 75 degrees... Sunday was my rest day. Yesterday was suppose to be a Bike/Run brick but the temp was 32 degrees and rained all day long. I planned on still riding my bike on the trainer but I was just exhausted so I skipped it. Today I went to the pool and swam 800 and then came home and did a new Sufferfest. With my husband home on Convalescent leave I have cut back on swimming and have been keeping some really late hours. I still struggle with doing freestyle but right now my main concern is my big race coming up on April 12th.... it is taking place in conjunction with a Iron distance half Tri... so instead of swimming I am doing a two mile run then 56 on the bike and then a 13.1 run.... good thing is the course is pancake flat.... a few workout peers have asked why I just don't go in the sprint on the 13th instead of doing this LONG Duathlon.... well simply put the swim is in the lake and it is the same lake that I did my one and only open water swim on a very choppy/windy rough water day and that distance was only 300 meters..... this one would be 750 and I just still DO NOT feel comfortable enough to take on the lake yet. I wish I lived closer to the lake so I could get in and swim more and feel better and confident. We do have the ocean 40 minutes from here but I don't like the waves and always get stung by jelly fish. I have a lot of nervous thoughts right now about this Duathlon. It has been hard training all alone for it. I don't need a group to train with but it sure makes it more enjoyable. Tomorrow I have a five mile run and if it rains then I will go to the gym and get on the Treadmill. I hope everyone has a great and strong week!

Darcie, you have to do what feels right to you and for you. I would say that you need to conquer your fears (that lake), but at the same time you have to do so smartly. if you don't feel that you are prepared then you should not do it. I understand the push it part but if you are not prepared in the first place and don't succeed the second time you will have that much larger of a fear / apprehension about it. Just please bear in mind what I said about the 56 mile ride if you have never done one, it will take a more out of you then you think even if it is flat so don't kill yourself. Walking 13.1 miles is not fun and makes for a long day. Keep it up our races are getting to be around the corner.

2014-03-19 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Sorry guys. I have been out of it for a week. I spent the last 4 days in Florida and got in NO workouts. When I had time, I was too exhausted to even stand straight. Went for a family function and spent most of my time helping out.

Got a 2 mile run in tonight. Aiming for spin class in the morning.

Welcome back, I was beginning to get a little worried about you, but know that you always come back and always get the work it not matter what life chunks at you.
2014-03-19 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I want to increase the frequency of my swimming since it is my weakest discipline.

Outside of my 2 developmental masters group classes per week, I am following "Swim Zero to 6 miles in 6 weeks"
I am on week 4 and it is a struggle. Has anyone ever done this program? Should I drop back a week? OR

WEEK three:

WEEK four:

Never done the program so really can't offer much. Is week 5 that much more in comparison to week 4. Also I would say that doing a week several times could never hurt you, it is still training and is still working towards your goal. No one said you have to hit the mark in six weeks, if you feel you need a repeat week then do it.
2014-03-19 2:21 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

It feels like I'm plugging along slowly this week. I keep hoping for a breakthrough in my swimming... that moment where you can just start to go forever and breath freely.

I'm getting better, I can feel it, but I still have scary moments where it feels like if I go another 25 yards I might drown.

I hear you, but the key is that you know you are getting stronger and will get there.
2014-03-19 3:27 PM

User image

Hi Pixie,

The duathlon race sounds awesome, but I'll repeat HT's caution that a 56 mile bike ride can be tough. Not to deter your goal, but here is my experience which might help you gauge where you are at in your training. I've done a couple metric centuries and I've found that as long as got my training rides up to at least 2/3 of the total distance (about 40 miles) I was good to go. However, given that level of training, it was just enough to get through the rides as my legs were totally beat at the end.

It sounds like you have a great training program going, and maybe you're already well beyond where I was for my century rides. Best of luck and keep up posted.
2014-03-19 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

WEEK three:

WEEK four:

Never done the program so really can't offer much. Is week 5 that much more in comparison to week 4. Also I would say that doing a week several times could never hurt you, it is still training and is still working towards your goal. No one said you have to hit the mark in six weeks, if you feel you need a repeat week then do it.

Week 5 is has a longer stretch of nonstop swimming

WEEK five:
1000 yards...rest for 8 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 100s
total: 1600 yards

I am leaning towards just repeating week 4 until I am comfortable.

2014-03-19 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

WEEK three:

WEEK four:

Week 5 is has a longer stretch of nonstop swimming

WEEK five:
1000 yards...rest for 8 breaths
4 x 100 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 100s
total: 1600 yards

I am leaning towards just repeating week 4 until I am comfortable.

That plan makes perfect sense to me. Your week 4 is still one heck of a workout and like I said you certainly aren't going to be losing an fitness. You can also compare one week to the next.
2014-03-19 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I got home late from son's lacrosse game. A 30 minute drive home took an hour and a half due to pouring rain and horrible traffic.
After making dinner, I dashed to the pool before it closed. I had 30 minutes. I swam 25 minutes and hot tub for 5 minutes. The hot tub is a MUST!

1x625 swim
2014-03-20 2:44 PM

User image

Thanks Todd. I do not feel ready to get back in the lake so that is why I am waiting till I can practice more open water swims. I am looking forward to this Duathlon. Yes I know 56 miles is long on the bike, the longest I have gone is 37 miles. Biking is my strong point, I am not worried about the biking so much as I am the running. I have been in many half marathons and one full marathon. I was bored to tears in the full marathon and vowed never to waste that much time training and doing something I simply could not stand doing. In all the half marathons that I have done I have always done fairly decent. I do not desire to run as fast as I can, but rather keep a smooth even pace. I know the race will be very challenging and I am smart enough to know if I am injured not to hurt myself further. I will be happy when my husband is healed up and we can train again together for some of the upcoming sprint races. I hope you are feeling strong and your training is coming along as much as you like for your big half!
2014-03-20 2:49 PM

User image

Hi Pixie,

The duathlon race sounds awesome, but I'll repeat HT's caution that a 56 mile bike ride can be tough. Not to deter your goal, but here is my experience which might help you gauge where you are at in your training. I've done a couple metric centuries and I've found that as long as got my training rides up to at least 2/3 of the total distance (about 40 miles) I was good to go. However, given that level of training, it was just enough to get through the rides as my legs were totally beat at the end.

It sounds like you have a great training program going, and maybe you're already well beyond where I was for my century rides. Best of luck and keep up posted.

Thanks Cassowary!
I am excited for the duathlon. I have never ridden my bike further then 37 miles. I am sure I will be totally wiped out and tired! Biking is my strong point and it is going to take all my energy to make it through the day. I did not get to race at all last year so the last thing I got to enter was the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC... 26.2 miles....... I did not enjoy training for that race or the experience itself......I would rather ride the bike a million miles then have to do all those loonnggg training runs ever again LOL Your century rides sound amazing!!! I proceed with caution on this adventure and will be glad when race day is here!! Your swimming sounds like you are cranking right along!! That is my weakest sport and I don't think I will ever *get* it! lol

2014-03-20 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

Thanks Todd. I do not feel ready to get back in the lake so that is why I am waiting till I can practice more open water swims. I am looking forward to this Duathlon. Yes I know 56 miles is long on the bike, the longest I have gone is 37 miles. Biking is my strong point, I am not worried about the biking so much as I am the running. I have been in many half marathons and one full marathon. I was bored to tears in the full marathon and vowed never to waste that much time training and doing something I simply could not stand doing. In all the half marathons that I have done I have always done fairly decent. I do not desire to run as fast as I can, but rather keep a smooth even pace. I know the race will be very challenging and I am smart enough to know if I am injured not to hurt myself further. I will be happy when my husband is healed up and we can train again together for some of the upcoming sprint races. I hope you are feeling strong and your training is coming along as much as you like for your big half!

I hear you and the good thing is that no matter what if you have to walk a portion or all of the run you can do so and still accomplish your goal.

To answer your question, I'm feeling pretty good. Like most I wish that I would have done more to this point, but when I look back at my last one I'm pretty much on point with swim training, a little under on bike training, and quit a bit over on run training. I keep telling myself that I can not cram it into the next 2 weeks and just need to stay the course and stay healthy. It also helps that I am not really doing this one for time so to speak, as I really want to be peaking for Buffalo Springs at the end of June. All of this has been training for Galveston, but also setting a nice base for the upcoming training for the next.

2014-03-20 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Flat Tires
I went for a 23 mile ride this evening and had my third flat in the past five rides. I guess I have to stop riding the route I am, our invest in a tube company I am just glad that I borrowed a tube from a friend this morning or I would have had to walk 6 miles home.
2014-03-21 7:42 AM

User image

Glad to hear you picked up the extra tube. I've never had a flat. I've probably put at least 5,000 miles on bicycle, and no flats. Which is awesome... but I feel like my time is coming up.

I should just spend a day pretending I got a flat, so that I can practice taking the tube on and off. Then there is the part of me that says "Nooooo, as soon as you touch that tube, you'll start getting flats all the time!"
2014-03-21 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
Hey Lovey,
Thanks for posting that swim program. I keep thinking if I drill and go TI thing will get easier and yada yada. I realized I don't have the experience of going long to actually know I can. I decided yesterday to follow that same program starting next week. This is my light week but I did 850 last night based on week 3. Thought it would be best to just mash through it and do the distances. Turns out I didn't mash that bad and I swam the first 400 straight freestyle. Felt damn good as that's the longest I've done to date.
2014-03-21 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Glad to hear you picked up the extra tube. I've never had a flat. I've probably put at least 5,000 miles on bicycle, and no flats. Which is awesome... but I feel like my time is coming up.

I should just spend a day pretending I got a flat, so that I can practice taking the tube on and off. Then there is the part of me that says "Nooooo, as soon as you touch that tube, you'll start getting flats all the time!"

Ya, I decided to switch tires even those the ones I have only have about 750 -1000 on them. I have been using the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course, but ordered some Conti 4000S tires today. They seem to have good reviews and I got a great deal on them, so I figured what's the harm. I actually wanted them last year but they were around 30 more a tire so I went the cheaper route. Time will tell.
2014-03-21 10:45 AM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2gs

Hey Lovey,
Thanks for posting that swim program. I keep thinking if I drill and go TI thing will get easier and yada yada. I realized I don't have the experience of going long to actually know I can. I decided yesterday to follow that same program starting next week. This is my light week but I did 850 last night based on week 3. Thought it would be best to just mash through it and do the distances. Turns out I didn't mash that bad and I swam the first 400 straight freestyle. Felt damn good as that's the longest I've done to date.

Great job and congrats on that swim. Before you know if that same 400 will almost feel like a good warm up for you. Great Job Again.

2014-03-21 1:20 PM

User image

Alright Lovey and 2gs, I accept your challenge! (I know you weren't posing a challenge, but I accept anyway!)

The ZERO to 1650 looks like a tough program. I'm going to jump right in at week 3. My total yards have been stuck at about 1,000 for weeks now, and it's time I start climbing. Someday I want to do an Olympic and Half Iron Man, and that will never happen unless I start improving my swim distance.

Anybody else want to join us? http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html
2014-03-21 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4968888

User image

Woohoo Cassowary!
2014-03-23 1:51 AM

User image

Hi Turtles

A mixed week this week. I had a couple of good sessions early in the week but I over did things trying to do too much to catch on the previous week's poor training due to work commitments. I ended up pretty sore all over so I decided to rest for the remainder of the week. I'll put that down as a lesson learned.

There were some positives this week though. I did a fitness test and my results put me in the top 10% of my age group. I went to the doctors for my 6 month check up and my blood pressure is the best it's been for years; I put that down to the weight loss and increased fitness due to training.

I'm just back from watching Ironman Melbourne. The race is conducted near my home so I've spent most of the day on the course. The first thing you see is the T1 area. 2000 bikes at an average of $5000 = $10 million worth of bikes. The bay looked like a washing machine when 1964 age group competitors began the swim. I went out on the pier and could watch the competitors swim by then watched T1 for a while before going back to support the final swimmers complete the course. After watching a bit more of the bike I headed home for lunch and then went down to the highway to watch the run leg. It was a great day and has spurred me on to train with new enthusiasm.

I hope you've all had a good weekend and had a chance to get out and train or compete.

I'm back on night shift this week and determined not to use that as an excuse not to train.

Rod
2014-03-23 10:22 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Rod,
Congrats on your fitness test and coming out on the top 10% way to go! Pretty soon you will be at the very top of your game!
Me and hubby stayed up all night to watch Ironman Melbourne as many of our favorite athletes hail from OZ and we LOVE Melbourne! Crowie had one of his worst swims ever but still finished a solid fifth place! I was surprised to see him in this race since he announced at Kona he was retiring from long course but was happy he was there! I am a huge fan of his! Amazing athlete and very humble! Mighty mouth Macca was on the side lines when I wish he would of been racing! What a great time you must of had! You and Taringa will get a great laugh that one of my favorite shows is Bondi Rescue LOL very entertaining! We spent a few days there as we toured around OZ and that show is very entertaining! Thanks for posting about IM Melbourne! I would LOVE to go back to Port Douglas and enter IM Cairns someday! hope you have a great week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24215 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16015 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29403 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18403 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.