BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-03-23 10:25 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Flat Tires
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I went for a 23 mile ride this evening and had my third flat in the past five rides. I guess I have to stop riding the route I am, our invest in a tube company I am just glad that I borrowed a tube from a friend this morning or I would have had to walk 6 miles home.

Three flats in five rides? What is going on with your tubes? lol I hope you are ok!

2014-03-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Hey everyone I had my long run on Saturday. My husband came along on my old cruiser bike. His shoulder is healing up good and he enjoyed getting out of the house but he is dying to swim and run and ride his Tri bike. We took another trail that my husband usually runs on but he did not know that they recently dumped a ton of large rock on it. I was already three miles down my regular trail and we made the turn and about a mile later the rocks got terrible. I ended up rolling my left ankle and decided I needed to just fast walk the rest of my route. I got mad because I really need to run but then I reminded myself that even the fast walking is better then doing nothing at all. Today is a rest day for me and of course two others I know who are doing the same upcoming race invited me on a three hour bike ride this morning. No one can ever ride during the week when I have most of my free training time. My body is very tired from all the training this past week and I ended up telling them thanks but I am going to pass. I really need a rest day or else I will just be doing damage to myself. I start back at it again in the morning and the race is right around the corner. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
2014-03-23 4:31 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Turtles

A mixed week this week. I had a couple of good sessions early in the week but I over did things trying to do too much to catch on the previous week's poor training due to work commitments. I ended up pretty sore all over so I decided to rest for the remainder of the week. I'll put that down as a lesson learned.

There were some positives this week though. I did a fitness test and my results put me in the top 10% of my age group. I went to the doctors for my 6 month check up and my blood pressure is the best it's been for years; I put that down to the weight loss and increased fitness due to training.

I'm just back from watching Ironman Melbourne. The race is conducted near my home so I've spent most of the day on the course. The first thing you see is the T1 area. 2000 bikes at an average of $5000 = $10 million worth of bikes. The bay looked like a washing machine when 1964 age group competitors began the swim. I went out on the pier and could watch the competitors swim by then watched T1 for a while before going back to support the final swimmers complete the course. After watching a bit more of the bike I headed home for lunch and then went down to the highway to watch the run leg. It was a great day and has spurred me on to train with new enthusiasm.

I hope you've all had a good weekend and had a chance to get out and train or compete.

I'm back on night shift this week and determined not to use that as an excuse not to train.

Rod

Congrats on the learned lesson, but more importantly your improved health. Also big ups to you for taking the time to watch and study an actual Ironman race. You said it best, it is a learning experience but probably more so it is motivating. Keep it up and it will be you there and somebody watching you go by and thinking to themselves I can do that.
2014-03-23 4:34 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

Hey everyone I had my long run on Saturday. My husband came along on my old cruiser bike. His shoulder is healing up good and he enjoyed getting out of the house but he is dying to swim and run and ride his Tri bike. We took another trail that my husband usually runs on but he did not know that they recently dumped a ton of large rock on it. I was already three miles down my regular trail and we made the turn and about a mile later the rocks got terrible. I ended up rolling my left ankle and decided I needed to just fast walk the rest of my route. I got mad because I really need to run but then I reminded myself that even the fast walking is better then doing nothing at all. Today is a rest day for me and of course two others I know who are doing the same upcoming race invited me on a three hour bike ride this morning. No one can ever ride during the week when I have most of my free training time. My body is very tired from all the training this past week and I ended up telling them thanks but I am going to pass. I really need a rest day or else I will just be doing damage to myself. I start back at it again in the morning and the race is right around the corner. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Sorry to hear you rolled your ankle but it doesn't sound like it is going to hender you in the next few weeks as you finish your final preperations.
2014-03-23 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Turtles
Well yesterday was my last long ride in prep for Galveston. I could not have asked for a better day for this ride. It was around 60 but there was 100% humidity, which Galveston will likely be on race day. I wanted to go around 80 - 85 % for the ride and did so finishing at an average of 17.1 mph, heart rate at the very bottom of Z2 for the 57.25 mile ride. I did get delayed for approximately 30 minutes waiting for a Sheriff's Deputy to come and meet with me. While on my ride I located three discarded wallets and purses. I stood by with the times until a Deputy could arrive and take custody of them. I figured by were linked to car burglaries and sure enough several cars were broke into just up the road from where I found them.

Today I only ran / walked 5.3 miles as my legs felt a bit heavy for the past two weeks and I certainly did not want to pull anything. I also still plan on doing around 20 miles of running and 80 miles of cycling before I leave for the race so I have to have some in reserve for the next 9-10 days. Getting excited but it looks like my dislike of cold water is going to happen. The water is around 60 right now and we have a cold front coming in so I don't think it's going to warm up much if any. O' well I froze in Lake Michigan, now I can freeze in Galveston Bay.
2014-03-24 5:35 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Nice steady HR for the long ride Todd! Sounds like the prep for galveston is coming along nicely.

Darcie, glad to hear your husband is healing, and I hope that ankle of yours mends soon too. That race will be here before you know it!

Rod, that must have been a blast watching the ironman competitors, especially racing around your own home turf. Congrats on the fitness test as well .

Kudos to the 0 to 1650 people! That's a pretty big challenge, but achievable. Go for it!

2014-03-24 5:40 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I'm fairly tired but happy today, ran a 10km race yesterday afternoon for the first time since before I injured myself. Went out slow so I had enough strength to finish fairly hard, even managed a sprint to the finish arch, which was a lot of fun. My time was 1:06, so I'm still chasing the magic one hour. I'm hoping I'll crack it this year .

2014-03-24 9:27 AM

User image

Looks like my training will be very interrupted for the next two weeks - we're finally closing on our house and will be moving. I'll need to shift my focus toward sustaining (rather than building) my current cardio by finding time for short workouts.

Taringa, nice job on the 10 km! The 1-hour mark sounds like a nice goal for the next race.

Todd, best of luck continuing to prepare for your 70.3. I can't wait to hear all about it in a couple of weeks!
2014-03-24 9:37 AM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

Looks like my training will be very interrupted for the next two weeks - we're finally closing on our house and will be moving. I'll need to shift my focus toward sustaining (rather than building) my current cardio by finding time for short workouts.

Taringa, nice job on the 10 km! The 1-hour mark sounds like a nice goal for the next race.

Todd, best of luck continuing to prepare for your 70.3. I can't wait to hear all about it in a couple of weeks!

Congrats on the house closing and up coming move. You said it best, just do what you can to stay at or close to the level you are now.

As far as the race goes, now I have to sit back and see if the swim will take place with the oil spill in the ship channel. Only time will tell.
2014-03-24 4:37 PM

User image

Today I ran/walked five miles and swam 900 meters. This was a treadmill workout since it was 27 degrees out. I ran three and fast walked two. Heart rate is getting better as I continue to build my base. I will be doing a bike/run brick in the morning. My ankle feels much better and I am glad I took yesterday off. My big Du is getting closer and closer and I can't wait!!

Taringa~ 1:06 on the 10k! Way to go! That is excellent! No doubt your goal of one hour will be right around the corner!

Cassowary~. Congrats on closing on your house! Way to go! You will get a great cardio workout moving! Thanks for posting the swim website. I am a horrible swimmer and struggle every single time I get in the pool and this website is a wealth of information. I am going to have a good read tonight!

Todd~. Way to go on the HR on that long bike ride! Sounds like all your preparations and hard work have paid off and you will no doubt do excellent in your race! I will be thinking of you when I start my race on the same day! I want to also thank you for stopping and taking time out of your training ride to call the police when you found the stolen purses and wallets. I had my vehicle broke into many years ago and my purse stolen (with only. $10.00 in it) and all I wanted was the photos/credit cards back. I was 17 and learned never to leave my purse in my car overnight ever again :-(. Kudos to you for helping return the items to the owners, you rock! As far as that cold water that is coming I am sure you will be so excited you won't even feel it :-). The half that is running the same place as my Du will be the one and only time of the year that it will be it he rare "icy cold" of 70 Degrees and wet suit legal lol. Can't wait. To hear your race report!
2014-03-24 7:04 PM

User image

Subject: T1
Hey Todd (and others),

When you have a chance, can you describe your approach to the swim / bicycle transition?

2014-03-25 5:34 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: T1

Originally posted by cassowary Hey Todd (and others), When you have a chance, can you describe your approach to the swim / bicycle transition?

I can certainly describe how it shouldn't be approached! Here goes:

1. Nearing the end of the swim, congratulate yourself on not losing your goggles being kicked/punched in the head and not being stung by jellyfish, then realise you've been swept 30 yards past the exit flags. Struggle to shore, run back along the beach and through the flags while trying to stay on your feet (sand and lack of land legs leads to serious balance problems!)

2. Run into transition, then realise you have no idea where you racked your bike because you entered from the other end to set up and forgot to locate the swim entrance and check out the lie of the land.

3. Eventually find your spot, fling your goggles to the ground, try and brush some of the sand off your feet. Almost grab your bike, then realise "Helmet, helmet, helmet" and remember to put it on. Shove your sunnies on and run out to the mount line, trying not to run anyone over or be run over yourself.

4. At the mount line, realise you really didn't practice the shoe thing enough and your feet are covered in sand again. Try and mount up, one foot in, the other shoe hits the ground and goes flinging off back down the road. Dismount, put the bike down, go and retrieve it. All the while the crowd at the start line is cheering you on...

5. Take a deep breath, calm down, say "sod it" to yourself, brush your feet off again and just mount up at your own pace and pedal off. Start smiling once you get a little way down the road and you realise it's all pretty funny really, then just start to enjoy the ride.

I'm sure there are a lot more efficient ways to tackle T1 but to be honest, this is pretty well how they've been for me so far.At least it gives the crowd something to have a laugh at .

2014-03-25 10:53 AM

User image

HA! Thanks!!!
2014-03-25 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I take a very simple approach to both transition with a few additional things that add a couple of seconds but for me all well worth it.

1. As I exit the water I take off my swim cap and my goggles and place them inside the swim cap and run to my location. (as stated above it is very important that you know where you are racked and how to get there from the point you will come in at)

2. I throw the swim cap down and clip on my helmet which I have open side up on my aero bars.

3. I grab a hand towel that I have laid under my bike and wipe one foot dry, put on my sock, then my cycling shoe. I then do the same for the other foot. (I do not like any kind of debris on my feet while I'm riding and certainly not while I'm running, which you will be after the bike.)

4. I tend to clip on my race number and this point even if it's not necessary for the bike because it's one less thing to do at the next transition.

5. I get my bike and run to the mount like, where I jump on, clip in, and take off. (Always make sure that you bike is in the appropriate gear for the road you will be starting out on. You don't want to be the person who is in the hardest gear mounting on an incline and falling over in front of a ton of people)

6. When I come in for T2, I dismount, and unclip my helmet as I'm running with the bike to my spot. I then rack the bike, put my helmet on the aero bars. I take off one cycling shoe, put on my running shoe (without letting my foot touch the ground -again no rocks or sand) and then do the same for the other before taking off out of transition for the run.

The other thing I may do at one or both is apply spray sunblock. It takes a second, saves me for burning, and this way I know what I'm putting on instead of the stuff that volunteers will slather on you.

Hope this helps, I can be more specific if you want.
2014-03-25 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Apparel
While we are on the subject of racing and stuff, I thought that I would share something with yall that I learned over my 3 or 4 years of doing this in reference to race day attire / training apparel. It recently dawned on my while I was preparing for Galveston how far I have come with what I wear. I started out like so many wearing matching items. I'm not referring to matching colors but instead mean brands.

For example my first Olympic last year - 2XU top, shorts, calf sleeves, with Asics shoes.

Racine last year - 2XU Top, Zoot Shorts and Calf Sleeves, Asics shoes.

Galveston this year - 2XU Top, Desoto Shorts, Zoot Calf Sleeves, Pearl Izumi Shoes.

Don't get me wrong I will still match pretty well color wise, but each of these items I find most comfortable / appropriate for me. I'm not sponsored by anyone so I can wear what ever I want and now I do.

2014-03-26 11:46 AM

User image

Thanks, very helpful!

I feel very clueless about selecting the right apparel. Here are some examples/questions:

Would it be OK to wear my Speedo swim jammers and then put my bike shorts on over them at T1? I'm assuming this is probably a bad idea, since everyone seems to talk about getting the combined triathlon swim/bike suit.

Do guys typically wear the same shirt for all three events? What do you call this shirt? And if I need a wet suit, would I wear this shirt under the wet suit?

2014-03-26 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, very helpful!

I feel very clueless about selecting the right apparel. Here are some examples/questions:

Would it be OK to wear my Speedo swim jammers and then put my bike shorts on over them at T1? I'm assuming this is probably a bad idea, since everyone seems to talk about getting the combined triathlon swim/bike suit.

Do guys typically wear the same shirt for all three events? What do you call this shirt? And if I need a wet suit, would I wear this shirt under the wet suit?

I would not suggest wearing swim jammers under your cycling shorts. You want to ensure that you have a little as possible to bunch up on you and cause you discomfort, this would also require you to unnecessarily put something else on in T1.

Tri shorts are made with a pad to make your cycling leg more comfortable, while at the same time being a small enough pad to no slow you in the swim. Another words they are swim jammers with a small pad in them.

Yes, I wear the same tri top for all three legs. Once again, this will save time because it is on before you start so no additional time in T1 or T2. This is the reason that Tri tops are tight, so as not to cause problems swimming in them or putting a wetsuit on over them. If you wore a bag cotton shirt it would absorb and ton of water and slow you down, almost like a drift sock.

The other thing to think about is whether you want a Tri suit or Tri shorts and Tri Top. People like one or the other for their own reasons. A tri suit is just that. It is one piece with a small cycling pad in it. Some feel restricted in them while others like that fact that the bottom portion stays in place better and a slight bit faster depending on which one you buy. The other way is to get a Tri Top and Tri Shorts separately. I have tried both and now use the top and bottom method if for no other reason then it is easier to use the bathroom before and during races (if need be). The tri suits are a little pricey but when you buy the top and bottom it works out about the same. By the way I raced my entire first season in an Orca Tri Suit.

The one thing I would tell you is to decide which way you think you want to go and then look on-line for good sales (works better for top and bottom). I have not had a sizing chart steer me wrong yet. By doing this you will be able to get a great deal on some tri shorts and tops. If you don't like them they become training gear and you move on to another brand. You will find that certain things about a top or bottom may bug you but you usually don't know until you wear it. As an example I really don't like the plastic elastic band on the bottom of the legs of 2XU shorts but my friend loves that about them. Your big brands so to speak in Tri Apparel are 2XU, Zoot, Pearl Izumi, Orca, TYR, Desoto, Craft, LG and there are others.

As always I hoped this helps and feel free to ask any question you have.
2014-03-26 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Long Swims
I did 3 workouts today.

I had an early morning (5:30am) spin class. I was an hour class but I hopped out at 45 minutes, jooged down the hall and did 2 miles on the indoor track. My legs were screaming but I wanted to start practicing T2 bike to run. It took a mile for my legs to feel normal.

Tonight I did my longest nonstop swim.

warm up:
1 x 100 swim
1 x 50 pull

Main:
1 x 1000

I wanted to do 600 more yards but I was tired and it was late.
2014-03-27 1:38 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Long Swims

Nice work on the multiple workouts, Lovey, no wonder you were tired!

2014-03-27 11:34 AM

User image

Subject: Fun Training Session
Hi Turtles

Today was a mild autumn day and I found an hour late in the day for training so I headed down to the beach. I nearly didn’t go as it was not really swimming weather.

When I got to the beach I was the only one there. The sun was shining and the water was nice and glassy so I dived in. The tide was out so I could go about 150m from the shore in waist deep water. It was a great feeling having the bay to myself until I remembered the golden rule of never swimming alone. I headed into shore and then proceeded to practice the race starts by running in the water and dolphin diving until it was deep enough to swim then I’d turn around and head for shore and run up the beach as if heading to T1. I repeated this a few times and then went for a run along the beach.

The thing that made this a really enjoyable session was that there was no timing, recording of distances or heart rate zones etc to worry about. I was just enjoying the outdoors and exercise. It reminded me of that Nike slogan……”Just Do It”. It was a refreshing change from the usual results focussed training sessions

Rod
2014-03-28 5:40 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Fun Training Session

Sounds like a great training session. Sometimes the best ones are the ones when we ignore the numbers and results . After all, we're in this for fun, really!

It's been raining properly here for the first time all summer it seems, so training is a bit irregular for me right now. It's a price I'm happy to pay for full rainwater tanks!

2014-03-28 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Fun Training Session
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Turtles

Today was a mild autumn day and I found an hour late in the day for training so I headed down to the beach. I nearly didn’t go as it was not really swimming weather.

When I got to the beach I was the only one there. The sun was shining and the water was nice and glassy so I dived in. The tide was out so I could go about 150m from the shore in waist deep water. It was a great feeling having the bay to myself until I remembered the golden rule of never swimming alone. I headed into shore and then proceeded to practice the race starts by running in the water and dolphin diving until it was deep enough to swim then I’d turn around and head for shore and run up the beach as if heading to T1. I repeated this a few times and then went for a run along the beach.

The thing that made this a really enjoyable session was that there was no timing, recording of distances or heart rate zones etc to worry about. I was just enjoying the outdoors and exercise. It reminded me of that Nike slogan……”Just Do It”. It was a refreshing change from the usual results focussed training sessions

Rod

Great Post! You are absolultely right, sometimes you got to get out and do stuff just for the sake of doing it. Way to disconnect but still get in a great workout.
2014-03-28 7:22 AM

User image

Thanks for the run down on apparel! I need to get a birthday wish list together now.

Yesterday I had a very busy schedule, but I set aside 10 minutes at the end of the day to just run as fast as I could. I ran my first mile in 7 minutes flat, and then charge up a very big hill. It was great, my chest felt like it was going to explode and I couldn't talk for about 5 minutes afterwards. Quick and intense.

I can't believe world class marathon runners pace at 5 minutes/mile, when my all-out 1 mile is 7 minutes.
2014-03-28 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the run down on apparel! I need to get a birthday wish list together now.

Yesterday I had a very busy schedule, but I set aside 10 minutes at the end of the day to just run as fast as I could. I ran my first mile in 7 minutes flat, and then charge up a very big hill. It was great, my chest felt like it was going to explode and I couldn't talk for about 5 minutes afterwards. Quick and intense.

I can't believe world class marathon runners pace at 5 minutes/mile, when my all-out 1 mile is 7 minutes.

At least you can do an all out 7 minute mile, so think how I feel watchin those same 5 minute guys.
2014-03-29 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Anniversary Run
Great run at my local running store anniversary run. There was a 3 mile and a 10 mile option. I felt 10 was too long based on my training and 3 was too short. I did 5.25 and it felt so good.
Free run registration with food, cake, coffee, treats and a Brooks tech shirt.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24124 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15938 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29250 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18313 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.