Niagara Running Series
-10C / 14F
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 19s
Overall Rank = 22/85
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up in good time to eat some cereal and prepare my hot gatorade. Also enough time to test layers and body glide and sort out bathroom routine.
Got to the race venue (Grimsby High School) and collected race pack and then stayed in the warm until walking the 200m to the start line.
Event warmup:

Some dynamic stretching and motion routines in the warm of the school gym. Knee raises etc. Then a brisk walk to the start line.
Run
  • 51m 19s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 08s  min/km
Comments:

Above everything this was a good run and a new PR.

The Course

The course is all on city/suburban streets. The course plays out as:

750m from the start steady up hill.
Downhill to about 2.5km
Hill over the highway
Downhill or flat to about 8km. This is the lakeside section which is winding on suburban streets and so while flat was the section with packed snow on some uncleared streets.
8km mark then climbs back over the highway and then again in km 9 up to the finish.

The day

Temps at the start were -10C and pre race morning had been -16C. Wind-chill was only a factor on the lakeside sections. Dazzling sunshine made things better.
A small turnout of 85 for the 10k but bigger groups in the 3k and HM. The pack pickup was busy but well organised as is typical for the Subaru Series.

Gear

I wore my 2XU tri shorts over some running tights. Plus normal socks and shoes. A high necked base layer, a twill long sleeved thermal layer and a loose long sleeved tech shirt. In all my clothes were perfect. Never suffered in the cold and never overheated. Hit the sweet spot just right. I had an ordinary beanie on and a snood style neck tube which I swapped out for an ordinary scarf that I had tucked in my fuel belt. The tube proved too restrictive around my neck but it had been superb for keeping the cold out before I warmed up. Considering the layers and gear needed for keeping -10C out I had a good run with no discomfort. Hooray for body glide!

The Race

I was dreaming about breaking 50mins but a lack of mileage and to poor surface saw me finish in 51:19. This is still more then 2 minutes off my PR and proves there is still a lot of fat to trim off my PR for this distance.
I started well on km splits between 4:45 and 5 mins per km. I found some discomfort in my diaphragm at abut 3km which turned out just to be a burp! Otherwise some good self-talk kept me going. On 3km I took water for a station and slowed my pace slightly to drink it. It had ice in it!!! -10C plus wind chill and they hand you ice water!! I ditched it but was annoyed to waste time on it.
Somehow forgot to take splits at 5, 6 and 7 kms and was also distracted by two girls who desperately wanted to pass me and then run at a pace below my target. We could not have been more then 1 or seconds apart on pace but they did not want to follow.
Felt really good on the uphill last 2km sections and finished strong. However a grey haired guy did pass me on 9.5km and I let him go figuring he was in a different age group.

Post race

A great race where a Tim Horton’s donut is among the perks of good post race food. I found out the guy who passed me on 9.5km piped me for an age group medal by 6 seconds. Boo. But my brother-in-law did get 1st place in his age group!

Overall

2 minutes off my PR is awesome for a midwinter cold race on a poor surface. My planning and mental control was much better and if I had kept my head to get lap times on the middle kms I am sure I could have worked on sub 50. I know I can carve a huge chunk out of this getting in form for my summer 10k which is in June. A great warm up for my 15km relay segment at Around the Bay in 6 weeks.

What would you do differently?:

Train :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Didnt warm down much at the race but did join my family for a swim and hot tub which was fantastic.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited winter training mileage has hurt my form.
Also the slippery snow conditions stopped you realy getting the hammer down on the flat sections.

Event comments:

Lucky to have this as my local series.

Last updated: 2014-02-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:19 | 10 kms | 05m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 22/85
Performance: Good
No HR data Auto pace calc above must be broken. 51:19 for 10km is 5:08 mins per km.
Course: Grimsby 10k route features some of the trademark short hills of the area. The whole race is on city streets but about 3km of them were covered with hard packed snow which causes some variable traction and some snow build-up in the treads of your shoes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-02-18 10:15 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Subaru Grimsby Family Day 10k

2014-02-18 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4951386

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Subaru Grimsby Family Day 10k

Awesome run Adrian, congrats on the PR!!

2014-02-18 12:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Huge PR -- congrats!!

What's up with the hot gatorade, though?  That sounds terrible!!

Edited by ligersandtions 2014-02-18 12:05 PM
2014-02-19 7:39 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Huge PR -- congrats!!

What's up with the hot gatorade, though?  That sounds terrible!!

It is surprisingly good! :-)

I made the gatorade from the concentrated crystals with BOILING water at 7AM. By 9:20 when I needed it on the course it was only lukewarm! I don’t really need fuel for a 10k but the warm liquid was comforting.

Some of the half marathon runners were coming in complaining of frozen lips and quite a few had frost that had formed on their hats where moisture has seeped through and then frozen.

PR was great. I didn’t expect to suck 6% out of my time and know for a certainty that with some good volume and a better track I could take more out of it again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Grimsby Family Day 10k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Subaru Grimsby (Peachbud) 1k 5k 10k

Started by badmo77a
Views: 832 Posts: 1

2013-09-20 8:26 AM badmo77a

American Family Fitness 5K/10K

Started by zipp1
Views: 1090 Posts: 6

2007-10-13 9:09 PM zipp1

Schneider Family Fitness Event - 10K

Started by TheSchwamm
Views: 1173 Posts: 1

2007-09-08 9:38 PM TheSchwamm

Schneider Family Fitness Event - 10K

Started by TheSchwamm
Views: 1093 Posts: 1

2006-09-11 12:07 PM TheSchwamm

Grimsby - Subaru Series

Started by qbtri
Views: 968 Posts: 5

2004-08-07 9:20 AM darylljsmith
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.