General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's race week! Kansas City Triathlon edition! Who's in? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-05-19 10:49 AM
in reply to: Jayhox

User image

Regular
Kansas City Area
Subject: RE: It's race week! Kansas City Triathlon edition! Who's in?
Originally posted by Jayhox

Not sure what your situation was, but they try to keep people to the right when not passing to avoid people shortening the course by riding "point A to point B" between turns.  I saw a few people riding to the left around left-hand sweeps with nobody to pass.  It was clear that they were trying to ride as short a line as possible to shorten the course which is technically against the rules.  So even if you were doing it on a straight and not gaining any distance advantage, a strict ref could write you up for it.

That's a fair point. I'm glad you pointed it out and made me think of it from that angle. When they got me it was on the long straight section heading south on Raytown road (in the section where the surface is not so great) not too far south of the little road that goes back into transition. By the letter of the law, I was wrong so I'm OK with it from that perspective I suppose. I just feel like there were several other rules that were probably violated but not penalized.

2014-05-19 10:59 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by dprocket Question on this penalty. Was this for riding in the left lane or for riding on the left side of the right lane? In most places, it was two lane and the bike traffic was in the right lane. I did most passing on the left (of the right lane) but sometimes had to move to the left lane to get around. When I went down the big hill I went straight to the left lane and camped there the entire descend as I was passing and was not moving in and out of traffic. Is this considered a penalty?

I think you were good on the descent as long as you were continuously passing people.  The theory is that you don't know who is behind you.  If you are passing people, the person coming up behind you has to allow you to pass people, but when you are done passing, you need to move back to the right to enable someone behind you to overtake you as soon as possible.  Camping to the left (whether that is the left of the right lane, or in the left lane) is prohibited because you might end up blocking someone you don't know is back there.

2014-05-19 11:03 AM
in reply to: Jayhox

User image

Clearly they were not passing out the penalty equally, unless I'm just so good that I was obey the rule and did not know it, but I know I was pretty far over to the left for some time. I do agree with the headphones on the run.
2014-05-19 11:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
nm

Edited by Barkeep 2014-05-19 11:32 AM
2014-05-19 1:26 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Did anyone hear what the official water temp was for the race?
2014-05-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: Ranski

User image

I though I heard 61, I thought it was fine, although I got scolded by some lady on facebook for saying I did not think it was too cold.

2014-05-19 2:39 PM
in reply to: kuatb

User image

Regular
Kansas City Area
Originally posted by kuatb

I though I heard 61, I thought it was fine, although I got scolded by some lady on facebook for saying I did not think it was too cold.

No idea on the actual temp but I agree that it was not bad at all.
2014-05-19 3:23 PM
in reply to: kuatb

User image

Shawnee, KS
Originally posted by kuatb
I got scolded by some lady on facebook for saying I did not think it was too cold.

Gotta love FB. While the first few minutes were a bit of a shock, after that I didn't think about it once...so tend to agree it wasn't that bad.
2014-05-20 2:03 PM
in reply to: Ranski

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Hopefully this works out (I'm unable to test this link at work due to filters) but I've put together a spreadsheet that looks at ranking progression throughout the different race segments of the KC Tri. It's nice if you want to see where you made up time or lost time at different point in the race.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&srcid=0B_4ZqYF--LXYY...

Final total times don't add up perfectly for some results due to some of the addition and rounding that was done.

2014-05-20 4:34 PM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Barkeep

Hopefully this works out (I'm unable to test this link at work due to filters) but I've put together a spreadsheet that looks at ranking progression throughout the different race segments of the KC Tri. It's nice if you want to see where you made up time or lost time at different point in the race.

Final total times don't add up perfectly for some results due to some of the addition and rounding that was done.

I get the following when I click the link "Sorry, we were unable to find the document at the original source. Verify that the document still exists."

After a good swim my wheels started falling off in transition ....Even after a decent bike a 47:xx run won't get you to the podium.
2014-05-20 5:06 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by reecealan

I get the following when I click the link "Sorry, we were unable to find the document at the original source. Verify that the document still exists."

After a good swim my wheels started falling off in transition ....Even after a decent bike a 47:xx run won't get you to the podium.

Ok, so did anyone have a good T1? I think I've read about 4-5 people say they had bad T1s....including myself. What do you think was the cause of this. I know my feet were really hurting...maybe it was just the cold (the cold swim didn't bother me) and the rough surface threw me off. But my transition sucked and it sounds like others did too.

2014-05-20 5:08 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by dprocket

Question on this penalty. Was this for riding in the left lane or for riding on the left side of the right lane? In most places, it was two lane and the bike traffic was in the right lane. I did most passing on the left (of the right lane) but sometimes had to move to the left lane to get around. When I went down the big hill I went straight to the left lane and camped there the entire descend as I was passing and was not moving in and out of traffic. Is this considered a penalty?

I believe he's talking about a penalty for being in the left lane. Which there were several people doing and I myself had to be out in the left lane to get around sprint distance cyclists on the second lap. I felt like I was the only one shouting out for riders ahead of me that I was passing.

One of my fellow 25-29 guys I was going back and forth with on the bike kept riding to the left of me and even tried to pass me on the right once on the right hand turn after the big downhill. I just shook my head at him and wished there was a ref. Rules are in place for two reasons, 1. Fair competition and 2. Competitor Safety. Meh.

Overall I think the race was pretty well organized. My biggest complaint, which didn't actually affect me this year, is the need to modify the swim course. There needs to be more buoys, but more importantly the turn buoy to come home needs to be a different color. If it was bright green it would more easily signify the turn home and less people would get lost in my opinion.

Also, there was nobody directing traffic when I hit the beach. Since past years we've gone straight up and then left I was standing there looking around trying to figure out where the eff to go and the crowd had to direct me. My parents/gf also told me that they still had barrels/signs in the way of the swim exit just minutes before the first 25-34 swimmer got onto the beach so somebody missed their job there.

All in all a fairly smooth race. Ultramax seems to do a pretty good job in keeping the chaos organized. My complaints are in some ways nitpicking to make the race even smoother.
2014-05-20 11:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Now that I'm at home try this. If not, my apologies. There are different tabs for Olympic and Sprint.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av4ZqYF--LXYdGN1OGJTMmN...
2014-05-21 8:12 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City Area

Now that I'm at home try this. If not, my apologies. There are different tabs for Olympic and Sprint.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av4ZqYF--LXYdGN1OGJTMmN...

Love the spreadsheet. Thank you for posting it!
2014-05-21 8:48 AM
in reply to: ssmith2

User image

Thanks for doing this, really interesting. Considering I lost 93 spots on the bike, I guess I know where I have room to improve! Thanks again!
2014-05-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: ssmith2

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Thanks Mike, worked this time. Very cool set of data. It was all downhill for me once I left the water. Out of the lake 22nd OA, finished 52nd. Lost 16 spots on the run, although I knew that would happeny anyhow.

2014-05-21 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Thanks Mike, worked this time. Very cool set of data. It was all downhill for me once I left the water. Out of the lake 22nd OA, finished 52nd. Lost 16 spots on the run, although I knew that would happeny anyhow.

Yeah it's all relative to what you did prior to each leg. For instance, just because someone may have jumped up a bunch of spots on the bike doesn't necessarily mean they were a great biker. It could also mean that they're a terrible swimmer. But I like it because you can track how the "leaderboard" changed throughout the race.
2014-05-21 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Yeah, that Denny kid has quite a run game on, 5:15's, he might have been faster had he thought he needed to run somebody down. With AG waves you just don't know where you stand overall. I would mind seeing Elite waves for some races where last years times are considered along with some type of seeding etc. But that's a lot more work for RD's and prices might go up ....
2014-05-21 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran

I have done a race like that (elite waves) and loved it.  You just signed yourself up in the elite wave if you wanted to be in it.  I think it said you should only sign up for that wave if you finished top 10-15 overall the previous year or maybe top 3 in a similar race in the current season.  I don't know that anyone double checked the entries, but it is fun racing your competition from start to finish.

Don't know any local races (other than Hy-Vee) that do something like that though.  I don't think it would be that hard.  Just let people sign up for the elite wave if they think they are going to be top 3-5 in AG.  All those people are in wave 1. 

2014-05-21 8:38 PM
in reply to: jlpete98

User image

Lenexa, KS
KC Tri has done elite waves previous years where you signed up. The preference was a comparable race with a time under 2:15 or 2:10 for respective years I believe.

Honestly looking at the results it is to some degree set up that way. 6 of the top ten were in the 25-34 wave starting the race off together. Which is part of the reason its bunched up that way to begin with. However, having the elite wave would certainly allow the younger/older athletes outside of the range to self select to race together for the top.

My qualms with the elite waves are usually they remove everyone from their age group categories regarding awards. By the same token I'm not usually a fan of removing overalls from their respective age group awards either, but that's neither here nor there I suppose.
2014-05-21 10:18 PM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I guess from the award standpoint there's pros and cons as you mention. Kickass race by the way Jesse, impressive run off the bike.

2014-05-22 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Originally posted by funkj25
My qualms with the elite waves are usually they remove everyone from their age group categories regarding awards. By the same token I'm not usually a fan of removing overalls from their respective age group awards either, but that's neither here nor there I suppose.

They could easily avoid this. Just do the reverse of the "last wave" option, allow anyone who expects to have a time under 2:15 (events like Hy-Vee usually have this as their elite time cut-off).
2014-05-23 12:09 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Mike,

Oh yeah I know it can be done. That's just my qualm with how RD's usually treat the elite wave. Which I guess is fine for most cases. Just as an example I got the 1st in the 25-29 grouping mug, but Kevin annihilated me by 12 minutes with the overall win so I really count it as 2nd in the 25-29. Just my personal "score keeping" preference.

Reece,

Thanks for the compliment. Not as a stealth brag, but my legs were actually cramping mile 2 to the finish so I couldn't lay it down like I wanted; pretty much just in cruise mode to maintain. If I was doing another true Oly this season I'd be looking to put down something low 34's high 33's. Still not in Kevin's range but he's been kicking my butt since meets during college so no surprises there, ha.
2014-05-23 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Not as a stealth brag, but my legs were actually cramping mile 2 to the finish so I couldn't lay it down like I wanted;

Can you please share how I can make my legs cramp like that?
2014-05-23 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by funkj25

Mike,

Oh yeah I know it can be done. That's just my qualm with how RD's usually treat the elite wave. Which I guess is fine for most cases. Just as an example I got the 1st in the 25-29 grouping mug, but Kevin annihilated me by 12 minutes with the overall win so I really count it as 2nd in the 25-29. Just my personal "score keeping" preference.

Reece,

Thanks for the compliment. Not as a stealth brag, but my legs were actually cramping mile 2 to the finish so I couldn't lay it down like I wanted; pretty much just in cruise mode to maintain. If I was doing another true Oly this season I'd be looking to put down something low 34's high 33's. Still not in Kevin's range but he's been kicking my butt since meets during college so no surprises there, ha.

On the flip side I think you can qualify for AG Nationals even though you're not first in your AG. If one or two in your AG are top 5 and you show up as first in AG, I think you get the nod to nationals.

Have you done AG Nationals? It's in Milwaukee again this year (Aug 9) and I heard it was even better than Hy-Vee. I think that would be a great plane for you to throw down a 33:xx run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's race week! Kansas City Triathlon edition! Who's in? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Official BT Links for Kansas City Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by dprocket
Views: 4515 Posts: 43

2013-05-23 8:55 AM dprocket

5th Kansas City Triathlon

Started by montyzooma
Views: 2150 Posts: 19

2013-05-16 11:08 AM joncolbybohnsack

Kansas City Triathlon

Started by ionlylooklazy
Views: 3282 Posts: 15

2010-04-09 8:31 PM rrobinson

Kansas City Triathlon - What'd you think?

Started by IKENTRI
Views: 2263 Posts: 6

2009-06-06 5:56 AM montyzooma

Kansas City Triathlon - "Triathlete Experience"

Started by IKENTRI
Views: 2525 Posts: 18

2009-02-23 11:52 PM rrobinson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?
date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 0
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.