BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-05-20 11:34 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99
Originally posted by Dominion

I agree my swim log is lacking. My ability to get to the pool is quite limited. Only have relatively easy access to an endless pool during the week for 30 minutes and my time slot is filled this week . A lap pool is about 45 minutes away and just can't make it happen during the week. Although that might change if I can pull a few strings. I'm hitting the lake this weekend and will know for sure coming out of this weekend if I can go 1500m or if I'll be forced to move down to a sprint. ( I don't foresee it being a problem, but I suppose water temp could still be an issue for me) Will definitely practice with the suit. I have one triathlon that is "open" water and takes place in Lake Huron, all my others start in small inland lakes that don't have too much issues with choppy waters and are capped at 400 participants spread out over 5 different waves. (Men and women, and Du) I'm not a big fan of the water start, but will make do with it. I like the beach starts. With this being my first Oly I'm looking to survive the swim and finish the race. Learn from the experience and improve over time.

There is no way I could drive 45 minutes to swim.  My pool is 10-15 minutes away and I struggle to make it over 2x/week.  At least you have the endless pool to get some work in.  How do you like that by the way?  I've never swam in one.  I've always wondered if it "felt" the same.  Pro's / Con's?  

I read somewhere that someone said "If you can run a mile, you can swim a mile."  I'm not sure I believed it when I first started swimming, but now I do.  With your run fitness, you should be able to make that swim.  Just take it nice and easy and keep your breathing and HR under control.  Think of it as just a nice easy jog.  Go out slow and push harder on the back half if you feel good, if you are tired at the halfway point just keep the steady slow pace.  It really is much like running.  The wetsuit buoyancy will help too.  The first time I swam in a wetsuit I couldn't believe the difference.

2014-05-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: Dominion

New user
Am I ready?!? Not actually sure. I have been training harder than I ever have so I sure hope so.

A little of my background for the group:

As I indicated in my first post I did my first sprint tri last year. I had no plans to get into tri's but was coerced into helping someone out by doing the swim leg of what was suppose to be their first sprint tri. This should give you a heads up that swimming is my strongest of the disciplines...but I'm not going to claim to be a incredibly fast swimmer. I'm just comfortable in the water, open or otherwise, as I have been swimming pretty much all my life. Anyway, one favor ended up being followed another favor (swim leg of a team OLY) and fast forward one year and I'm doing my first sprint tri all by my lonesome.

I'm in ATL so am considering Tugaloo or Richard B Russell. Any thoughts on these or others would be welcome.

2014-05-20 1:58 PM
in reply to: burner2

New user
Love this question. I'm feeling pretty beat up as well. I have ratcheted up the intensity on my training this year in an attempt to shave some minutes off my best times from my first season. When exactly does your body start to adjust?
2014-05-20 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 So, I have a question...I've been working out regularly since Christmas and training pretty hard in all three disciplines for the past two months....when will it stop hurting? I always feel pretty beat up.

There is a saying, "It doesn't get easier, you just get faster."

Looking through your logs, I can tell you have been putting in a lot of work.  Hopefully you are seeing some progress, especially in your swimming and biking.  Try to keep the big picture in mind too.  2 months really isn't that long of a time period for the adaptations you are asking your body to make.  Stick with it.  It's about consistency over the long haul.  That being said, if you are feeling beat up, then listen to your body and take 2 or 3 days off.  I mean do nothing training related or physical in nature if possible.  Give yourself an opportunity to rest your body and mind.  You won't lose any fitness in that time frame and you might be amazed at how good you feel and how motivated you are to get back into it. 

2014-05-20 2:43 PM
in reply to: kmstig

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by kmstig Am I ready?!? Not actually sure. I have been training harder than I ever have so I sure hope so. A little of my background for the group: As I indicated in my first post I did my first sprint tri last year. I had no plans to get into tri's but was coerced into helping someone out by doing the swim leg of what was suppose to be their first sprint tri. This should give you a heads up that swimming is my strongest of the disciplines...but I'm not going to claim to be a incredibly fast swimmer. I'm just comfortable in the water, open or otherwise, as I have been swimming pretty much all my life. Anyway, one favor ended up being followed another favor (swim leg of a team OLY) and fast forward one year and I'm doing my first sprint tri all by my lonesome. I'm in ATL so am considering Tugaloo or Richard B Russell. Any thoughts on these or others would be welcome.

It's good that you are a strong swimmer and comfortable in the water.  Like I mentioned to Whitney, that is a huge advantage you have.  You won't need to put in the time "learning" to swim like so many. 

I've never done either of those races, but I know GA Multi-sports puts on a good race and I've heard good things about the Tri-the-Parks series as well.  Another option would be the Set-up Events race at Clarks Hill in early September.  Did that one last year and will return.  They have an Olympic on Sat and a sprint on Sun.  http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=2612

2014-05-20 6:15 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

I live in Annapolis. I love the Piranha Sport events!! And no the Baltimore Tri is at Hammerman Beach at Gunpowder State Park!!

2014-05-20 6:18 PM

User image

Per the website -

To ensure participant safety and minimize impact on the surrounding communities, the Baltimore Triathlon has established course cutoffs for the sprint and olympic races in coordination with the Baltimore County Police Department. All cyclists MUST be off of the road by 10:20 AM. Olympic participants have approximately 2 hours and 50 minutes to complete the 1500m swim and 25.5 mile bike segments (based on a 7:30 AM start). Olympic cyclists who have not reached the aid station (just after mile 12) by 9:20 AM will not be allowed to start the second bike loop.

I'm not worried about finishing. I'm worried about making it to the second bike loop!

2014-05-20 9:51 PM
in reply to: Kteter

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Kteter Per the website - To ensure participant safety and minimize impact on the surrounding communities, the Baltimore Triathlon has established course cutoffs for the sprint and olympic races in coordination with the Baltimore County Police Department. All cyclists MUST be off of the road by 10:20 AM. Olympic participants have approximately 2 hours and 50 minutes to complete the 1500m swim and 25.5 mile bike segments (based on a 7:30 AM start). Olympic cyclists who have not reached the aid station (just after mile 12) by 9:20 AM will not be allowed to start the second bike loop. I'm not worried about finishing. I'm worried about making it to the second bike loop!

I haven't heard of too many Olympics with time cut-offs. 

2014-05-20 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

My brother and I had the chance to race the Jekyll Island, GA Olympic distance race on Saturday.  I finally got my race report up on my blog link below.  It was quite a day with a crazy swim, but lots of fun.  Check out my report if you get the chance.  Jekyll Island is a great place to visit and a great place to have a race!

2014-05-21 6:19 AM

User image

New user
While on the bike I find I have to change positions often or my hands go numb. Usually my left hand but both hands are guilty. Is this happening because I don't have a bike properly fit to me? Or am I just one of the lucky ones that gets to change positions every so often while riding? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any input.
2014-05-21 7:17 AM
in reply to: Kteter

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by Kteter

I live in Annapolis. I love the Piranha Sport events!! And no the Baltimore Tri is at Hammerman Beach at Gunpowder State Park!!

Nap-Town!!! If nothing else, the B'more Tri will have fantastic scenery! Good luck and I can't wait to hear a race report on all these!!

2014-05-21 1:36 PM

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

While on the bike I find I have to change positions often or my hands go numb. Usually my left hand but both hands are guilty. Is this happening because I don't have a bike properly fit to me? Or am I just one of the lucky ones that gets to change positions every so often while riding? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any input.

Same problem. Bought gloves without any benefit.

Nate
2014-05-21 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4996689

User image

New user
Watford
Hi sorry for the delay in posting, between work, family and training I don't get much free time.

Bio
I'm 43 years old, as I mentioned I played soccer at a very very amateur level for a number of years.
I entered a super sprint in Sept and just completed a sprint a week or so ago.
I've run a few 10ks. My average time is around 50mins.

In two weeks I'm taking part in an open water sprint at the same venue as the Olympics 2012.
It's a lake open water swim, and due to time I won't get a chance to perform ANY open water swim sessions.
So I'm pretty nervous.

As far a goals go, its really to finish the Tri in a reasonable time, then sign up for another in Sept and plan for next year.

2014-05-21 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4999645

User image

New user
"Same problem. Bought gloves without any benefit.

Nate"

I bought gloves, they help to an extent, but after 15-20 minutes it's time to change positions.
Scott
2014-05-21 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Scott and Nate,

I've never experienced numbness in my hands but have had it in my feet while riding believe it or not.  Aside from the numbness, do you feel comfortable with your bike fit in general?  Also are you guys riding standard road bars or on aero bars when this is happening?  I would start by tweaking your fit a little bit, maybe raise or lower your seat a tad or adjust your stem.  You basically want to try to get to a position where you can keep your hands and wrist straight.  Bending your wrists or putting downward pressure (road bars) can cause the nerves to pinch or a restriction of blood flow.  If you don't have aero bars on your bike, I would get some clip-on ones (profile design) and try to get comfortable riding in that position and see if that helps.

2014-05-21 8:18 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi sorry for the delay in posting, between work, family and training I don't get much free time. Bio I'm 43 years old, as I mentioned I played soccer at a very very amateur level for a number of years. I entered a super sprint in Sept and just completed a sprint a week or so ago. I've run a few 10ks. My average time is around 50mins. In two weeks I'm taking part in an open water sprint at the same venue as the Olympics 2012. It's a lake open water swim, and due to time I won't get a chance to perform ANY open water swim sessions. So I'm pretty nervous. As far a goals go, its really to finish the Tri in a reasonable time, then sign up for another in Sept and plan for next year.

So you're racing in Hyde Park?!?  That is awesome!  I'm so jealous. 

How long is the swim?  I assume you have been doing some pool swims even if you won't have the chance to practice open water.  If you are unsure of yourself, the key to open water is just to stay calm, control your breathing and take it easy off the start.  Don't get caught up in the mad dash for the front and get yourself winded too early.  Just relax and start slow.  Remember it's a long race.  If you get tired or feel in trouble in any way, just flip over and back stroke for a minute or two until you catch your breath. 

2014-05-22 6:46 AM

User image

New user

Scott and Nate,

I've never experienced numbness in my hands but have had it in my feet while riding believe it or not.  Aside from the numbness, do you feel comfortable with your bike fit in general?  Also are you guys riding standard road bars or on aero bars when this is happening?  I would start by tweaking your fit a little bit, maybe raise or lower your seat a tad or adjust your stem.  You basically want to try to get to a position where you can keep your hands and wrist straight.  Bending your wrists or putting downward pressure (road bars) can cause the nerves to pinch or a restriction of blood flow.  If you don't have aero bars on your bike, I would get some clip-on ones (profile design) and try to get comfortable riding in that position and see if that helps.

I ride an old 80s rode bike I found on Craigs List. I've made a few minor upgrades to it and has to get me through this Tri season before my wife will let me upgrade to a lighter faster better bike. I get the numb foot as well, however I always attributed that to the straps on the pedals. I've looked online at the clip on aero bars and am not too sure I could make them work on my current bike.

(road bike.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
road bike.JPG (214KB - 6 downloads)
2014-05-22 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I started on an old Raleigh too (well not that old

Are you trying to ride on those little clip on bars that are sticking up?  Those look like something you would typically see on the bar ends of a mountain bike. I could see that causing a pretty severe wrist/hand alignment issue.  Not sure why a clip on aero bar wouldn't fit by looking at the picture.  I know that the aero bars by far made the biggest difference in comfort and performance on the road bike I started with.  I would take those bar end clips off and see about mounting an aero bar on there.  They are easy to install and easy to transfer over to another bike if you need to when you upgrade. 

This isn't the greatest picture but you can kind of see how the aero bar just clamps around the existing handlebar.  I think I got mine from Nashbar, Performance bike also sells them.  Should be some Memorial Day sales coming up too.

(aero.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
aero.jpg (271KB - 4 downloads)
2014-05-23 1:16 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Hi,

Yep, pretty excited about the course, never done anything like it before.

Swim is 750m. I have been doing a lot of pool swimming, so I'm confident of this distance.
It'll be weird not stopping every length.

I'll absolutely take your advice about pace. Last pool swim I did I went far too quick and struggled with my breathing. Bad enough to do that in a pool, but can't afford to do that in the lake.
2014-05-25 1:05 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Tested my wetsuit today for the first time in a lake. What an experience! I think it slowed me down quite a bit and the constriction made it a little difficult to breathe. I also discovered--and I had been wondering if this would happen--it was more difficult to swim with my face in the water than it is in the pool because at the pool, I have to stop and turn every 20 yards, which gives me time to grab a couple of breaths. But, I have a few more days to practice, and even if I have to swim a couple of strokes every 20 yards with my head out of the water, it will be fine.

Water temperature was good, and although the air temperature was only 56 degrees, I was not cold, even after getting out of the water.

Took 36 seconds to get out of my wetsuit; under two minutes to get out of all swimming gear and into cycling gear.

Drove to Medical Lake to check out next Saturday's race route. Rode the 10.25 mile bike route in about 49 minutes. It was a little confusing because the town has weird roads all over the place, many of which lead to the state's mental hospitals. Much of the road also had no shoulder and was pretty heavily traveled, which was kind of scary, but drivers must be used to dealing with cyclists because I had no close calls.

Ran/walked the 5K run route (backwards, I think). I'm pretty happy with my time (52 minutes) because I had a pretty good pace going for about 2 miles, but the last mile I was very thirsty and hot, which slowed me down until I was dragging the last half mile. I hadn't taken any water with me because I didn't want to have to deal with carrying it, but in retrospect, I should have since by then it was close to 80 degrees. However, water will be provided during the race, so I'm not concerned.

Overall, I'm happy with my times because competition during the race will encourage me to kick it up a notch, and my times should be faster. My goal is to finish in under two hours, and I think I can do that.

This week's totals:

S: 2,440 yards/1:23
B: 60.75 mi/5:04
R: 10.05 mi/2:54

Chris, love reading your race report! Congrats on your first place finish!
2014-05-25 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

The OWS takes a little getting used to.  In the pool everything is relative to that one pool length.  You know you have the wall coming up and that you will be able to make the turn and grab that "extra" breath.  Also it bothered me at first swimming face down in open water because in the pool that water is nice and clear and you can see the bottom and lane lines.   In a lake or river or ocean, it's usually just blackness (or sometimes green).  Surprisingly I found that a little unsettling until I got used to it.  

Don't worry too much about the wet suit.  It should break in a little the more you wear it.  And although you say it slowed you down, the buoyancy it provides should really help out in the long run.

(and thanks for reading the blog!)

2014-05-26 1:12 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington

The OWS takes a little getting used to... In a lake or river or ocean, it's usually just blackness (or sometimes green).  Surprisingly I found that a little unsettling until I got used to it.  

Don't worry too much about the wet suit.  It should break in a little the more you wear it.  And although you say it slowed you down, the buoyancy it provides should really help out in the long run.

Yes, it is very unsettling. All those Lake Placid movies really mess with my imagination.

I went again this afternoon and was very surprised to find I swam the 500 yard loop in 12 minutes, which is significantly faster than my pool swim times. It didn’t feel like I was swimming that fast; it seemed like it took three times that long, so you're right about the wetsuit not slowing me down. I can get in two or three more practices before my event, and now that I know I have the speed, I will practice technique as I spent most of the time swimming with my head out of the water. And, I've discovered I don't swim in a straight line, but rather arc to the right. I'll have to work on that.
2014-05-26 7:11 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia
Chris et al,
I have a running question for you and group: I am looking for feedback and suggestions on adding sprint training/interval training/plyo, etc to help increase speed and endurance. I understand the concept of incorporating one or more of these into my training, but in reading about it, I'm not getting consistent info on how to approach it. For instance, should I incorporate it into my regular runs, or do it at the end of my runs or set aside a whole different day for this kind of training?
So this morning, I ran the .75 mile to the local high school track, ran the bleachers a little, then continued on my run. Is this the sort of thing I'm supposed to be doing? I'm very confused. Compounded with the fact that running is my least favorite of the three sports. I still haven't found a comfortable way for my body to "hang together" when running, if that makes sense. Ladies in the group: do you experience this at all? Now, I'll admit, I'm a curvy gal: size 12, 36DD, Junk in my Trunk. and that could be a big factor here and one I have no problem simply rolling with if I need to. But if there are any mental or physical suggestions out there from the ladies (curvy or skinny, I don't care!) I'd love to hear them.
Thanks much! Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Jen
2014-05-26 10:50 AM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Running to the HS, running the bleachers, then continuing on sounds like a good workout to me.

For Interval training I usually integrate it into a run.  Not every run, but once a week I do an interval run.  I usually do 3 miles and I do it on a treadmill to be sure I maintain my pace during the interval.  The treadmill also allows me to run my intervals for a precise distance.  For example a .3 mile interval followed by a .4 mile recovery.  You can do your interval based on a distance like that or based on time, say a 2 minute interval followed by a 3 minute recovery.  So a treadmill really isn't necessary if you do your intervals based on time, or you could just pick out landmarks on your run, say from "the light pole to the 3rd mailbox" etc is the first interval.  (you get what I'm saying).  Anyway, back to my treadmill example,  run the first .4 slow as a warm-up, then your first interval is from .4 to .7 miles, then back to a slower recovery pace from .7 to 1.1, then interval again from 1.1 to 1.4.  continue on and your 4th interval will be from 2.5 to 2.8, then the last .2 is a cool-down.  As far as your pacing, you want the interval part to be on the verge of all you can handle.  Don't push to the point of injury, but by the end of the interval, you want to be just "hanging on" and then slow it back to the recovery jog to prepare for the next interval.  You can shorten the run to do fewer intervals, lengthen it to do more, or change the interval/recovery ratio..whatever works best for you, but that is a basic outline to follow,

Now, I'm not saying this is the only way to do it, you can go to the track and just run 100 yard sprints if you want to.   But I find this is a hard workout and the 3 miles flies by before you know it.  Hope this helps.

2014-05-26 12:19 PM

User image

Americus, Georgia
This is very helpful! Thank you!! and I can do it on the treadmill in the hotels while I'm traveling next week. I was already stressing about mapping out runs around Savannah.
I run three times a week, so just once a week is enough? I'm more interested in endurance than speed. Have you ever done sets that aren't just about sprinting? Maybe 25 yards of high knee running, or heel to butt, grapevines, running backwards, etc? I'm guessing you don't wanna do that on a treadmill, huh? I saw a lot of that kind of stuff on running.competitor.com. There also seems to be some crazy folks that think sprinting up a hill and then walking down it, repeating 3-5 times is a good idea. I think they're on crack, but that's just me
Thanks much!
Oh, are you doing the Skidaway Island race in August?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43410 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50718 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19552 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?