BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-06-30 9:36 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by Tri-solar

Dropping in here as I knew IMCDA was a upon us and wanted to see how y'all did. So nice to see the crowd for the IMCDA'ers. Steve congrats on the race. Glad you could pull through with tweaked back, and cold oncoming, you paint a nice picture of what racing is really like at this level.

Mike D - Way to recover. I don't partake very often anymore but did fit in a beer the other day, with my wife in the hot tub.

Mitch - Please check in, Sound like it was pretty rough.

My daughter graduated 8th grade and summer upon us, and things have been quite busy. I notice some new faces here but I am a hold over from Steve's previous groups. My name is Joe, I hope to be more active here now. I can use the encouragement as I have talked about signing up for a HIM. Yesterday I pushed the button signing up for two races. A sprint July 26th, and a HIM 9/6. I am so psyched! Training has been a bit meh.. The run is not coming together and the training has been inconsistent. Still time, well 8wks anyway, and some parts are coming together, so choosing to trust in that strength/progress I've made. The 35.5 mi bike Saturday is part of that progress, finishing the last 5.5 with a nice uphill climb.

Joe, so awesome that you "pushed the button"!! You will do fine and you are in good hands with all of the support here. Steve just kicked some butt in his IM!!!

2014-06-30 10:59 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Thanks everyone. I don't want to speak for Mitch, but I did want everyone to know that he is ok. He rocked the swim even in evil conditions and then was pushing hard on the bike and had some stomach issues that did not resolve in time for him to make the bike cuttoff. So he is fine, but I am sure bummed out. He didn't crash or anything so that is really good news.
2014-06-30 3:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lexington, South Carolina
Steve,

Congratulations on a great race. It is truly inspiring to have mentors like you and be in this group. Way to go!
Mitch, hope the you're recovering ok.

Great job guys.

Edited by sinnerman 2014-06-30 3:37 PM
2014-06-30 5:23 PM
in reply to: sinnerman

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
Congrats Steve!

Hope you are well Mitch!

All, Rest up and recover. Enjoy a well deserved rest...

Best,
-Dennis
2014-06-30 5:35 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Master
Maryland
Here are my June totals that were logged on this site:

Swim: 2h 40m - 5800 Yd, Bike: 6h 37m 27s - 92.57 Mi, Run: 53h 15m 20s - 278.2 Mi,Strength: 9h 50m, Elliptical Training: 5h 30m , StairMill: 2h 45m Walking: 5h 45m

2014-06-30 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf

Thanks everyone. I don't want to speak for Mitch, but I did want everyone to know that he is ok. He rocked the swim even in evil conditions and then was pushing hard on the bike and had some stomach issues that did not resolve in time for him to make the bike cuttoff. So he is fine, but I am sure bummed out. He didn't crash or anything so that is really good news.

Thanks for letting us know. Mitch, you are still awesome!!!!!! So sorry about the stomach issues. But WTG on speedy swim and then perservering into that wind and enduring those hills. You are amazing.

Mitch and Steve, have a good safe trip home. Dennis, good luck on your tri. Joe, great to hear from you again and glad you are getting back into the groove.

Totals are below. Really wanted to hit 100 run miles but the painting from yesterday (and the sore back and hamstrings) just kept me from doing that extra 10K.

Swim: 20m
Run: 17h 55m - 93.9 Mi
Core Training: 1h 35m
Other: 6h 21m (Stair Running, Painting, Stretching)

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-06-30 6:20 PM

2014-06-30 8:09 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Linda -- 278 miles?!?!?! That's amazing!!! W
2014-06-30 9:08 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Only track with Map My Run - will need to do better. Thanks for posting yours.. has inspired me..

Total miles = 91.43
Total hours = 12.14
Total calories = 8,821
16 workouts

This does not include swims or weights, as I have not logged those. I believe combo bike / jog. I will start new with tomorrow - 7/1 and log until I do my century in August. (need to start riding daily).

Yeah - 278 miles?>? WOW!!

Best,
-Dennis

2014-07-01 4:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Steve, thanks for the update on Mitch. Hopefully, he checks in soon with details. You both deserve credit for all of the training and getting to the starting line as many of us haven't even gotten to that point (yet)

My totals for June. Obviously, I need to bike more. The run/swim totals are okay as I started out very slowly and gained yardage/milage as the month increased. Slow and steady some wiseman has taught me.

Swim: 6350 Yd

Bike: 2h 50m

Run: 5h 44m 36s - 33 Mi

2014-07-01 6:44 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I have to say after Sunday's race, I feel like I was hit by a speeding truck. Sore all over, tired. I didn't feel anything like this after my A/B HIM a couple weeks ago. Wonder why? Its awful. I also managed to cut my left foot on a rock at the very start of the swim, and now thats all infected and gross. Wondeful . Will be a slow run tonight

Will post June numbers soon.
2014-07-01 7:40 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Glad that Mitch is OK! Steve, thanks for letting us know. Hope you and your family are soaking in some vacation in/around CDA.

Really only two solid weeks in June since the first part was flu recovery, but happy to be moving.

Swim: 2h 01m 50s - 5000 Yd
Bike: 8h 20m 39s - 113.92 Mi
Run: 6h 23m 21s - 23.84 Mi
Walking: 1h 30m
Yard Work: 5h 15m
Yoga: 5h 00m

2014-07-01 8:22 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Lexington, South Carolina
My June 2014 Totals:

Swim - 13131 yards, 5.00 hours
Bike - 140.26 miles, 9.08 hours
Run - 33.03 miles, 5.43 hours.

I am hoping to spend a lot more time running and on hills and add some strength training.

There are some really impressive numbers from some of you. Makes me want to try harder in July. Thank you!

On a different note, got my wife to sign up for a local triathlon as a relay team where she will do the run. This is the first time we're doing this together (and her first in general) so should be a fun (or a real disaster). Will find out in a few weeks.

2014-07-01 9:02 AM
in reply to: sinnerman

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
June totals....less than I thought:

Swim: 3h 53m - 13640 Yd
Bike: 5h 46m 16s - 103.92 Mi
Run: 5h 39m 32s - 31.95 Mi

My wife & girls have agreed they will be a relay team at our local tri next June. Hopefully they follow through, and make it happen. We'd have the whole family doing the race!!! (I'd go solo)

MD
2014-07-01 10:32 AM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Swim: 1.53 hrs, 4500 yds
Bike: 11.05 hrs, 171 mi
Run: 7.08 hrs, 38 mi

Other--
Tennis: 1.2 hours
Soccer: 3.05 hrs
Dragonboat: 2 hrs
Basketball: 1 hr

Total activity: 27.6 hrs (6.44 hrs/wk)

Steve and Mitch, congrats on the IM! Mitch, I'm anxious to read your race report. Steve, great job persevering. Accomplishing that with a tweaked back is amazing.

Joe, looks like we're going to do our HIM's on the same day! It's my first though. Which sprint did you sign up for? I'm also looking to do one around that time anywhere within a reasonable distance from DC.

Dennis, feel free to add me to your mapmyride network (Philip Fadul). I might stop using the BT training logs because syncing with garmin and mapmyfitness sites are so much easier than manually doing it here (or paying the BT fee).
2014-07-01 11:58 AM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Phil,

requests sent on Map My Run and Garmin Connect. For dieting I use an app called Lose It - and log everything there to keep track of calories. I am not sure how accurate it is.. as I am staying under and not losing weight..? Will focus on it more through July.

Need to log swims [distance] someplace? not sure what I am going to do there..

I am feeling like crap - nerves.. my wife and possibly step daughter and grand children are going to watch tonight..

Trying to eat / hydrate well.. I WILL finish - and I WILL beat my time!

2014-07-01 12:41 PM

Blairstown, NJ
Linda - Thanks. Wow on your run totals!

Carol - It does look like a good month for you.

Phil - The sprint I am in is the Pass It Along Sprint Tri ( http://www.passitalong.org/triathlon). This is a nice race that I participated the past two years. This race is the first triathlon I ran. It is probably at least 4 hours from DC though. I was thinking of joining the Partiot Half but given the cost, and it being my first HIM, I decided to stay a bit more local and flat. Hope the strategy works.

Mike - I know the feeling. I always tell my daughter fatigue is normal and it does not get better. Some how in my mind though I think there was some thought that it would. It just aint easy.

Jay - Slow and steady - you got this.

Totals : Swim 6hr 15 min 12350 yrds, Bike 6hr 6 min 22sec 85.96 miles, Run 6hr 28 min 27sec 31.42 miles

This was a tough month between all the RL stuff, some kind of calf injury thing, and three flats on the bike. I also tend not to mix well with the heat and it is getting hot so my hand is planted firmly on the reset button. You can only judge the WO you do. So I judge any WO to be a success lately.

2014-07-01 1:24 PM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
My hopes of my running legs helping me with my biking was a failure. I totally got my butt handed to me on my 2nd outdoor ride of the year....a 20 miler which includes a number of hills. So, I accept my humble pie and accept that I need to suck it up and do more biking to get ready for my HIM. I was planning on swimming today but the Y has changed their swim schedule for the summer camps....so I hoped on the elliptical to loosen up my legs for tomorrows run.

Mike: Very cool with the potential family race.

Joe: Welcome back
2014-07-01 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by Tri-solar
You can only judge the WO you do. So I judge any WO to be a success lately.

I like that sentiment very much Joe!

Mike, speed kills (and not just newbies ). Betting you engaged some of those faster twitch fibers, and they are mounting a bit of a protest.

Dennis, great that your family is coming out to the race. Hope you all have a wonderful evening!

Jay, the pools seem to move our cheese more than I like, too. Just get a good thing going and then a closure or a class or whatever. Yep...cycling more (and losing weight) are the only things that ever seem to make cycling better. Spin away!

Was one of those days where everything workout wise was a challenge. This morning, I guess the insulin gremlins struck at the same time as my continuous monitor ended it's 10 day run, so I woke up with a nasty high blood sugar number this morning. Pumped in more insulin than I like to before a ride, but decided to go ahead and go. 20 miles was a struggle even going nice and easy but got it done and blood sugar back down. Then off to the pool, whereupon foot cramps that would not go away ended that session early. So...I'm applying Joe's words and calling it a success because I got out there!

Edited by squirt 2014-07-01 1:29 PM
2014-07-01 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Continuing along with what Joe said, this crossed my Facebook feed today. I think it's very relevant to the whole triathlon journey...whatever form that takes for each of us, and it really resonated with me so thought I'd share:

http://storylineblog.com/2014/07/01/youre-not-giving-yourself-enoug...
2014-07-01 5:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey everybody!

so sorry for the delay in getting in touch. First I must say that even though I met Steve for a brief moment, he definitely has a great and calm energy about him. I have no doubt about Steve's outcome. Let me tell you with those conditions, and the way he looked the day before he must be a super man..

Ok, For me........ Well, I just don't think I was trained for those conditions. I have never experienced wind like that. I think Steve was being a bit conservative on the winds. I was seeing people getting blown off their bikes. some people were saying gusts up to 40 mph later in the day. I ended up not making the Bike cutoff at the turnaround about mile 95 of the bike or so.

To start, my swim was great, but the chop and wind was so strong that I guess i was really working a lot harder than I thought or should have. My back started cramping from having to lift up so high to breath and sight. Although it was a good swim for me in those conditions, (just under 1:23 when I got out of the water my back seized up and I couldn't move. had to grab one of the helpers to hold me up.

Then I was feeling ok on the bike except my back kept tightening up. Leaded to leg cramps as well. I think I must have been over compensating somehow for my back. On my way back in to town for the first loop my body just started cramping up and my back would just lock-up. Causing me to stop and I couldn't peddle... had to lie down as well.. made it back to finish the first loop, then I started throwing up! Was averaging perfect at 16 mph or so until all this started happening. Ended the first loop at 13 mph or something!!!

Ok, it is not pretty from here on out. at mile 56 or so, lying down, back completely seized and throwing up. ( I think I was throwing up just from the pain. Calories were good, pacing was good)

Didn't think I could go on but the crowd was amazing. Mike Reilly actually came up to me (I was stopped right by the start finish at one point.) Told me A lot of people were dropping out because of the wind. I told him there was no way I was stopping. the crowd was amazing and so supportive. they cheered me on and i got out for the first part of the bike course again. It wasn't pretty but I made it back into town. Still seizing up a bunch i was lying down again, throwing up and didn't think I could go on, But then I saw the medics coming my way and i told them to stay away from me and do not touch me. I got back on my bike and headed into the winds and hills again. Into granny gear, One foot after the other, stopping when I seized up or threw up. Lied down again at mile 75 or so. Got back up and someone passed me saying that were were probably not going to make the bike cutoff. Never in my life did I think i wast going to make the cutoff, but as I got closer to the turnaround i noticed no Bikes were coming back.. I stopped again, (this time for a quick cry!) got back on and creeped to the end were the dream crushers were waiting with a big yellow truck to throw my bike in......

So, all in all, I needed more training. I'm not that upset as I dug deeper than I ever have or thought I could. I really though I was going to may be be in the hospital. I think if they didn't pull me and I actually finished I'd be writing this from the hospital bed.

I told my wife that I would wait a couple years for another full, but I think I'm coming back next year for some redemption. The town was amazing and the support was like no other....

I dunno. Its a bit hard to swallow....

Thank yo so much for your encouragement. this means a lot and I will still be here tri-ing.... CDA I'm coming back for you!!!!!
2014-07-01 6:14 PM
in reply to: Mitchparadise

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Thanks for sharing Mitch. You showed more toughness and desire than the many that Mike Reilly told you folded due to the wind....be proud of that. I'm sure you'll get your revenge on CDA soon!

How are you feeling now (physically)? Are you back in LA yet?

2014-07-01 6:46 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Master
Maryland
Mitch, you are a true and dedicated athlete. I can't even imagine going through what you did. I was so amazed by your race account that you kept getting up again and again. I have no doubt, that when you are ready, you will knock your next race out of the park. I am in impressed with your determination.
2014-07-01 7:56 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Mitch -- Just insanely epic!! While its sad you didn't get to finish, you showed guts, determination, and just flat out solid steel awesomeness than I can imagine. My goodness, to keep getting up with every seizure episode, or puking, and getting back on the bike to get to that finish line. I'm just totally blown away by the toughness to continually do that. He11, just getting through the swim is incredible enough. I'm am SO SO SO inspired by your efforts. Go back and kick this things a** like there's no tomorrow. Do it!!!! And having Mike Reilly give you a pep talk is pretty cool, too!!
2014-07-01 9:20 PM

User image

Mitch - thank you for sharing your story, truly inspirational. You will be back!

Tonight was my second sprint. My goal was to shed ~8 minutes from my original (first ever) time of 1:50 ish..

[reader's digest version] I was talking to a gentleman and he stated that I had a lot of room for improvement and I had one point. They only award points for people being under 1:40 - but since he was the scorekeeper he gives everyone who finishes a point.. Nice guy...

I started discussing with my buddy that I then needed to beat 1:40 to "make it official" - which would mean beating my previous time by 10 minutes.

Swim - I crossed the line at 16:32 (wave 2 is minus 2 mins) so I was :30 seconds faster than previous..
Bike - not sure where I crossed, the guy in front of me almost wiped out on dismount and I kept my eyes on him.
Run - I needed to walk a part of the beginning hill until I got my groove - I then jogged the whole trail - at a decent pace.

Crossed the line at 1:37 - which means I beat my original time by 15 minutes!

I can't wait to get the splits. Next goal, be sub 1:30

I remembered I hadn't stopped my watch while in the changing room... so the time is a bit longer than just the bike / run.

This stuff is addicting..

(second-sprint_finish.png)

Attachments
----------------
second-sprint_finish.png (93KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-02 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Mike_D

Mitch -- Just insanely epic!! While its sad you didn't get to finish, you showed guts, determination, and just flat out solid steel awesomeness than I can imagine. My goodness, to keep getting up with every seizure episode, or puking, and getting back on the bike to get to that finish line. I'm just totally blown away by the toughness to continually do that. He11, just getting through the swim is incredible enough. I'm am SO SO SO inspired by your efforts. Go back and kick this things a** like there's no tomorrow. Do it!!!! And having Mike Reilly give you a pep talk is pretty cool, too!!

Mitch, read your account and was crying. Then I saw Mike's response and he said all I wanted to say - but better. You are amazing for getting up time and time again! Total rock star!

Dennis - 15 min?!!!! Go Man Go. That is great!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.