BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-11-30 7:58 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Sounds awesome Fred,can't wait to see the pics of the full setup.    I've been enjoying the trainer so far this year as well.  Doing a VO2max focused block and while I normally hate that type of workout, I've been enjoying the different mix of stuff Shane has been throwing at me.  

Interesting observation from my last two threshold workouts.  They were both 5 x 5' with the last two 5w higher than the first 3.  Last week for the last 2 I shifted another gear and as a result my cadence went from 90-91 to 86-87 but interestingly my left/right balance went from 51% left to 48% left.  This week I did the same and again it went from 51% left to 48% left.  To test it a bit more, part way through the 5th one I shifted back to a higher cadence and the balance went back to left dominant, after a minute I went back to lower cadence and it went back to right dominant.  This is something I see in GoldenCheetah after the workout, not something I have displayed on my Garmin.

Anyway, just an interesting observation that likely doesn't really mean anything other than a Stages PM would give me funny numbers.  It's also possible that since the P2max isn't a true measurement of L/R balance that it means nothing at all!  

2014-11-30 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

So, to carry on the trainer software discussion March and I were having...

Black Friday was great for me. Ended up getting an ideal laptop for $499. God Bless Merica'!

I have installed both Perfpro and Veloreality software. Computrainer is not currently hooked up, but the Veloreality stuff looks great. I should comment that their customer service has been beyond outstanding! They are a company near Toronto, and they have guided me through the PC installation and process in a way that I am very impressed with. If you are looking for some great trainer software with 1080p videos shot in Spain and France, then check these guys out.

Man cave will be up and running by the weekend of December 19 or so. Will post pics.

I am actually looking forward to the trainer (gasp)

Veloreality is very cool
The Riding with video is amazing
They also have the equivalent of a training tab and you enter your workout and do it, but no video :-(

They now need to link the two

be able to load a workout file
be able to see the graph of the workout file, execute and track the workout while running the video
toggle between erg mode and slope mode would be very cool.
2014-11-30 8:17 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Sounds awesome Fred,can't wait to see the pics of the full setup.    I've been enjoying the trainer so far this year as well.  Doing a VO2max focused block and while I normally hate that type of workout, I've been enjoying the different mix of stuff Shane has been throwing at me.  

Interesting observation from my last two threshold workouts.  They were both 5 x 5' with the last two 5w higher than the first 3.  Last week for the last 2 I shifted another gear and as a result my cadence went from 90-91 to 86-87 but interestingly my left/right balance went from 51% left to 48% left.  This week I did the same and again it went from 51% left to 48% left.  To test it a bit more, part way through the 5th one I shifted back to a higher cadence and the balance went back to left dominant, after a minute I went back to lower cadence and it went back to right dominant.  This is something I see in GoldenCheetah after the workout, not something I have displayed on my Garmin.

Anyway, just an interesting observation that likely doesn't really mean anything other than a Stages PM would give me funny numbers.  It's also possible that since the P2max isn't a true measurement of L/R balance that it means nothing at all!  

I ended up getting a Vectors S and I bought the 2nd pedal. I got 20% off and it ended costing me less than buying the pair together. My plan was to see if 1 sided was accurate. If not, keep them both, if yes, return the other side.

Well, I have to keep both sides :-) I suspected this. The CT told me this in the past.

The Garmin power numbers are bang on my CT which is bang on with my Quarq.
2014-11-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I did a 20 min power test this am. Anyone care to figure out my FTP?

20' @275w avg
3.4w per kilo
180 lbs body weight
88.5 rpms

I have know idea if this is good or bad?

btw peak power was 632w

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-11-30 10:30 AM
2014-11-30 10:51 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BrotherTri

I did a 20 min power test this am. Anyone care to figure out my FTP?

20' @275w avg
3.4w per kilo
180 lbs body weight
88.5 rpms

I have know idea if this is good or bad?

btw peak power was 632w

I would suggest you do a 5' test another day and calculate from that.
Otherwise, if you didn't do a 5' blow out before the 20', take 92-93% of above, so about 255w
If you did do a 5' blow out before, take 95% or about 261w

Either you are out of shape or your CT is reading low, because in shape you are much higher than that.
2014-11-30 11:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks Marc.

Yeah I am out of shape cycling wise. This is just a baseline, I guess.

I am going to try for 2x CT rides a week thru Dec. The 15th I start my 100 day run challenge. I also want 2x a week swim but my swim is strong. It's really the bike I need to work on for IMMT.

Thanks again.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-11-30 11:47 AM

2014-11-30 11:48 AM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-11-30 11:55 AM

2014-11-30 11:55 AM

2014-11-30 11:56 AM

2014-11-30 12:00 PM

Extreme Veteran

All these double posts never used to happen with my Mac, damn PC...

And when you were on the mac you were saying the uppercase blue was a mac problem

2014-11-30 12:02 PM

Barely following this tech conversation. I just put in erg mode, log in to amazon prime for TV and go.

my cycling and swimming are down, but I was looking thru my logs, and I am just happy this is the first Nov -Dec in the last 4 years I haven't been injured, usually feet or hips. And 8 miles from my first 1000 mile running year. Between weight and injuries only took 10 years to do!

2014-11-30 12:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
I plan on pairing a Garmin with the trainer sessions, as I want to analyze in TP, etc. I think you can run through Perfpro to but I am not sure?

The CT gets power from the resistance unit on the back, HR from a Polar strap that talks to a wire connected to the yellow unit and cadence from a magnet/sensor at the crank and connected to the yellow unit

Many people don't have the HR or Cadence connected on the CT.

Some software, like the old racermate or GC, can only read from CT HR or cadence when CT power is used. It's all CT or nothing.
Other software, can use CT power but use Ant+ HR from your Garmin strap or cadence from you Ant+ sensor

I believe Perfpro allows to mix and match sources of info, so power from the CT, heart from the Garmin strap and cadence from the PT for example.'
Not sure what veloreality allows.
2014-11-30 1:02 PM

2014-11-30 1:06 PM

2014-12-01 7:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Thought I should get some hills back into the harder run workouts. 10-13% ought to do.

2014-12-01 8:44 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Alright, after the discussions about my run training, I've decided to lay off the bike for a bit and see how that affects my running.  I'm leaving for an NYC vacation in a couple days, so was already planning to be out of the water and off the bike, so I'm just going to start now and pretty much stay off the bike till after the HM in mid-January. 

May jump back in with the Tour of Sufferlandria at the end of January to jump start the bike training again

2014-12-01 8:46 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Thought I should get some hills back into the harder run workouts. 10-13% ought to do.

I'm kind of happy that those grades don't exist near me at all.

2014-12-01 9:00 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

That was on the treadmill. The territory for my Saturday runs can actually go up past that, but these steeper ones also tend to be shorter (maybe 100 yds or less for the steepest ones?) as they pretty much all just go to the top of the same couple hills. The one is showing instant grades up around 18%.

2014-12-01 12:32 PM

Originally posted by marcag

All these double posts never used to happen with my Mac, damn PC...

And when you were on the mac you were saying the uppercase blue was a mac problem

Whatever are you talking about? ;-)

I think all you need to do is upgrade the chair to keyboard interface.  

2014-12-01 12:37 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Originally posted by ChrisM Barely following this tech conversation. I just put in erg mode, log in to amazon prime for TV and go.

my cycling and swimming are down, but I was looking thru my logs, and I am just happy this is the first Nov -Dec in the last 4 years I haven't been injured, usually feet or hips. And 8 miles from my first 1000 mile running year. Between weight and injuries only took 10 years to do!

I'm not following all this trainer tech discussion either.  I just get on my bike and go ride outside.  

Congrats on the 1000 mile running year.  It's something that needs consistency to attain.

I just checked my Strava logs and I'm at 9,944 miles biked for the year.  Given I've had at least half a dozen rides where I forgot to charge my Garmin...I'm probably already at 10k.

2014-12-01 3:20 PM
in reply to: Jason N

2014-12-01 3:29 PM

Seattle

That was on the treadmill. The territory for my Saturday runs can actually go up past that, but these steeper ones also tend to be shorter (maybe 100 yds or less for the steepest ones?) as they pretty much all just go to the top of the same couple hills. The one is showing instant grades up around 18%.

Sounds like you are preparing for some mountainous adventuring!

2014-12-01 3:32 PM

2014-12-01 5:10 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Sounds like you are preparing for some mountainous adventuring!

I'm thinking much more near future with this, but pretty sure it might help with that sort of thing too! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37656 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72982 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.