BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-12-01 5:15 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by ChrisM Barely following this tech conversation. I just put in erg mode, log in to amazon prime for TV and go.

my cycling and swimming are down, but I was looking thru my logs, and I am just happy this is the first Nov -Dec in the last 4 years I haven't been injured, usually feet or hips. And 8 miles from my first 1000 mile running year. Between weight and injuries only took 10 years to do!

I'm not following all this trainer tech discussion either.  I just get on my bike and go ride outside.  

Congrats on the 1000 mile running year.  It's something that needs consistency to attain.

I just checked my Strava logs and I'm at 9,944 miles biked for the year.  Given I've had at least half a dozen rides where I forgot to charge my Garmin...I'm probably already at 10k.

WOW! Jason 10k that's is sweet. Congratulations man well done.

2014-12-01 5:22 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ChrisM

Barely following this tech conversation. I just put in erg mode, log in to amazon prime for TV and go.

my cycling and swimming are down, but I was looking thru my logs, and I am just happy this is the first Nov -Dec in the last 4 years I haven't been injured, usually feet or hips. And 8 miles from my first 1000 mile running year. Between weight and injuries only took 10 years to do!

Congratulations Chris. That's great with all those obstacles you faced.
2014-12-01 5:25 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D

I plan on loading up a few swim videos of my (poor) form. Hoping for a few pointers, but had Megan filming and watching which was good.

My left arm seems to get involved in some crossover, but I think this is common as it is the opposite side I breath from. My daughter has been encouraging me to bilateral breath... I'm working on it!

Do we get to see it on that new TV too?

2014-12-01 5:28 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChrisM Barely following this tech conversation. I just put in erg mode, log in to amazon prime for TV and go.

Nice going Chris! Being healthy at the end can really help give you some nice momentum going into the next season even if the other two have dropped a little. You know what you're doing there.

2014-12-01 6:24 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-12-01 6:26 PM

2014-12-01 6:54 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

Nice going Chris! Being healthy at the end can really help give you some nice momentum going into the next season even if the other two have dropped a little. You know what you're doing there.

Chris one more note. After my metatarsals healed last year I did a self-proclaimed hundred days run challenge. I started slow and was pushing 185lbs. I was also running Hoka's exclusively. I did 63 days straight then starting hitting the double run days. I ended up with 163 runs in 163 days. That really did amazing things for my run but did not translate to my races mainly to bad race tactics. All my minimum runs are over 30 minutes I just vary the effort. Yes I did longer runs. So by the end of December I'll hit over 1400 miles for the year.
2014-12-01 7:24 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

From this video left is a slight cross over. I am about smooth. This it looks to be a struggle of sorts. Do you feel smooth? The upper seam disconnect from the lower. You are rotating more at the shoulders then at the hip. Like your over reaching on the right going away. Then when your coming back the right is pulling down and wide. Are you pulling to your hip? Thumb touch to the hip. I can not load the second video. I hope that doesn't seam to harsh.
2014-12-01 7:38 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
So I watched it again..... the right at times crosses coming back at times. Head position could help as well. Have you every tried dropping your head a bit?
2014-12-02 3:11 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Fred, I'll try to take a look at the video later (first one works, the second doesn't).  My internet connection sucks at home this morning and it's really choppy and hard to make anything out.  

2014-12-02 10:00 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Champion
First swim in few months today. I was up last night on ob call and did a swim before my afternoon clinic to "wake up"....It didn't really work. lol.

I channeled post call Fred to get that swim done. Nowing I'm going to bed. Wooo 8 pm bed time.

Started training with Shane again. Got myself some snowshoes yesterday! Wooo. One run and one swim down.

2014-12-03 5:37 AM
in reply to: mndymond

2014-12-03 5:40 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

2014-12-03 7:46 AM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by BrotherTri From this video left is a slight cross over. I am about smooth. This it looks to be a struggle of sorts. Do you feel smooth? The upper seam disconnect from the lower. You are rotating more at the shoulders then at the hip. Like your over reaching on the right going away. Then when your coming back the right is pulling down and wide. Are you pulling to your hip? Thumb touch to the hip. I can not load the second video. I hope that doesn't seam to harsh.

Not too harsh at all. I do feel smooth in the water, but I don't kick well. By this I mean, I don't (can't) point my toes enough. I will try thumb touch to hip.

FWIW those 50s were about :36 sec

It's hard to tell from those video. You really want to try and get an under water shot. I think I see you going wide on your catch and pull but the angle is not ideal. And I am by no means an expert.
2014-12-03 11:29 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Alright, after the discussions about my run training, I've decided to lay off the bike for a bit and see how that affects my running.  I'm leaving for an NYC vacation in a couple days, so was already planning to be out of the water and off the bike, so I'm just going to start now and pretty much stay off the bike till after the HM in mid-January. 

May jump back in with the Tour of Sufferlandria at the end of January to jump start the bike training again

The reduced overall load should help out. Still kind of wondering about the scheme of things going forward, if this is not "picking on" the schedule too much. When looking at just the running, noticed a couple other things as well. At least things in November. Basically all of the runs tend to up in the 50-some minutes, or very close to that. Except the long run. I counted the race day as just one big one for these purposes as there wouldn't be *that* much separation in the parts. Not morning and evening. Average run duration was up around 57 min and 6 miles (or just over). The hard run and long run have been run on consecutive days or with a single "normal" run in 50's between. There is usually a day off, but at the opposite end of the week as the bigger/harder work. Is this heavier and lighter sides of the week by design? There are no shorter runs of say 20-40 min with any regularity, is that also by design? I ask as it's very easy for people to try bringing up these smaller runs in trying to get a larger volume. While the modified runs still are likely not that hard, they also may not be quite easy enough (even at easy pace) when looking at the load they bring in. The timing of them in particular.

2014-12-03 12:10 PM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Alright, after the discussions about my run training, I've decided to lay off the bike for a bit and see how that affects my running.  I'm leaving for an NYC vacation in a couple days, so was already planning to be out of the water and off the bike, so I'm just going to start now and pretty much stay off the bike till after the HM in mid-January. 

May jump back in with the Tour of Sufferlandria at the end of January to jump start the bike training again

The reduced overall load should help out. Still kind of wondering about the scheme of things going forward, if this is not "picking on" the schedule too much. When looking at just the running, noticed a couple other things as well. At least things in November. Basically all of the runs tend to up in the 50-some minutes, or very close to that. Except the long run. I counted the race day as just one big one for these purposes as there wouldn't be *that* much separation in the parts. Not morning and evening. Average run duration was up around 57 min and 6 miles (or just over). The hard run and long run have been run on consecutive days or with a single "normal" run in 50's between. There is usually a day off, but at the opposite end of the week as the bigger/harder work. Is this heavier and lighter sides of the week by design? There are no shorter runs of say 20-40 min with any regularity, is that also by design? I ask as it's very easy for people to try bringing up these smaller runs in trying to get a larger volume. While the modified runs still are likely not that hard, they also may not be quite easy enough (even at easy pace) when looking at the load they bring in. The timing of them in particular.

Sorry Nicole, I didn't see your post. Good thing Ben responded.

Throwing this out there.

I would consider reducing how many hard sessions you are doing. Running faster on the easy sessions may not be the answer
I understand you don't want to give up too much bike fitness. This makes sense. You are working towards a tri season

So just an idea,

What if 1 hard really hard VO2 bike workout. Say Tuesay. 1 hard track workout, say Thursday. Lump your tempo running into your long run. Do 2x10, 2x15, 2x20 tempo, or even 10tempo, 10 threshold...slowly buid something up. But do it in your long run, say Sat or Sunday.
It gives you time to recover between hard workouts.
The rest, easy stuff. Z2 on the bike, Z2 on the run. Throw some 30s intervals on the bike if you want. But real Z2, not Z3+. Watch your shows on the trainer. Set your Garmin to beep at you if your HR goes too low or two high.

I think you would benefit from some short really hard track workouts. The work you have done to date will set you up to be able to do them with less chance of injury. But something like 30/30s. I suspect, don't know for sure, but suspect you need to be doing some time at VO2max pace.

Does any of this make sense ? If so, we can talk details.

2014-12-03 12:49 PM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

The (massively underutilized) Run Challenge Group from awhile back had some good things and methods to incorporate faster work. The more general concept there is also how I've tended to work things in (well, when it goes well). Think of working this in almost like a smaller subset of running in general. Start smaller with things you can handle more easily, both interval duration and total work. It might take a few rounds, or even a couple workouts to get used to the faster running. And then grow it from there. I've had to work up to being used to the fastest paces. Don't try to knock the workouts out of the park. Learn how to get something decent in, but also have a little something left over. With some practice you can later challenge yourself some more with it, but you do want to both keep running consistently and be able to do the harder work at whatever regularity is planned. It may not be as big at first, but getting used to something being there has helped in adapting and learning.

2014-12-03 8:42 PM

Champion

Originally posted by mndymond First swim in few months today. I was up last night on ob call and did a swim before my afternoon clinic to "wake up"....It didn't really work. lol. I channeled post call Fred to get that swim done. Nowing I'm going to bed. Wooo 8 pm bed time. Started training with Shane again. Got myself some snowshoes yesterday! Wooo. One run and one swim down.

I often try to channel my "post call Fred". I love that guy! ;-)

Lol. "Post call Melissa" is not as gung ho as "Post call Fred" seems to be. Tonight is my last night of call for three months!! "Post night shift Melissa" instead. Haha. Emergggggggg, I just want to do Emergggggggg.
2014-12-03 8:47 PM

Champion
Another snowshoe run in the books for today. 25min. The single track was at least somewhat packed today so it was a bit nicer than the other day.

I also skate skied for the first time ever! Like 500m but I didn't fall down! Victory! Haha. I just roamed back and forth on the flat near the ski lodge. Haha.
2014-12-04 3:15 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri From this video left is a slight cross over. I am about smooth. This it looks to be a struggle of sorts. Do you feel smooth? The upper seam disconnect from the lower. You are rotating more at the shoulders then at the hip. Like your over reaching on the right going away. Then when your coming back the right is pulling down and wide. Are you pulling to your hip? Thumb touch to the hip. I can not load the second video. I hope that doesn't seam to harsh.

I think this is about right.  Like Marc said, underwater will tell the real story but I don't see much here that screams of a major problem.  The little cross over is causing you to fish tail a tiny bit, you see it the most in the first few seconds of the video.

What is the second video, a side view?  Can you fix that one up for us to see?

2014-12-04 3:17 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mndymond Another snowshoe run in the books for today. 25min. The single track was at least somewhat packed today so it was a bit nicer than the other day. I also skate skied for the first time ever! Like 500m but I didn't fall down! Victory! Haha. I just roamed back and forth on the flat near the ski lodge. Haha.

You seem much too excited about the snow.  I'm happy that ours keeps melting after coming down (so far).

2014-12-04 3:20 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

The (massively underutilized) Run Challenge Group from awhile back had some good things and methods to incorporate faster work. The more general concept there is also how I've tended to work things in (well, when it goes well). Think of working this in almost like a smaller subset of running in general. Start smaller with things you can handle more easily, both interval duration and total work. It might take a few rounds, or even a couple workouts to get used to the faster running. And then grow it from there. I've had to work up to being used to the fastest paces. Don't try to knock the workouts out of the park. Learn how to get something decent in, but also have a little something left over. With some practice you can later challenge yourself some more with it, but you do want to both keep running consistently and be able to do the harder work at whatever regularity is planned. It may not be as big at first, but getting used to something being there has helped in adapting and learning.

To the bolded, this is so true.  Shane has been getting me to do 200s and 300s at the track for a few weeks and yesterday was the first time something clicked and I understood what he meant when he said it should feel fast and smooth.  It was like a lightbulb going off and I just got it all of a sudden.  It will probably be gone next week.  

2014-12-04 4:54 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

I think this is about right.  Like Marc said, underwater will tell the real story but I don't see much here that screams of a major problem.  The little cross over is causing you to fish tail a tiny bit, you see it the most in the first few seconds of the video.

Look at 32 seconds

Look at how wide his left arm is going on the catch/pull. What do you think ?

Edited by marcag 2014-12-04 4:55 AM

(Screenshot 2014-12-04 05.53.47.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2014-12-04 05.53.47.png (203KB - 2 downloads)
2014-12-04 7:25 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mndymond Another snowshoe run in the books for today. 25min. The single track was at least somewhat packed today so it was a bit nicer than the other day. I also skate skied for the first time ever! Like 500m but I didn't fall down! Victory! Haha. I just roamed back and forth on the flat near the ski lodge. Haha.

You seem much too excited about the snow.  I'm happy that ours keeps melting after coming down (so far).

I wouldn't mind a little more to make it useful so long as some of it seems to be sticking around. Haven't really snowshoed yet other then a quick demo in the yard. Would like to skate ski a little more. Trails tend to be a bit of a drive and skis are a bit long for it. The back ends cross unless I take a too wide stance. Still fun to do, and so fast when things click right!

2014-12-04 7:28 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag

Look at 32 seconds Look at how wide his left arm is going on the catch/pull. What do you think ?

I'd wait on underwater critique until seeing about better video for it. Either getting the camera underwater or some better angles to lessen the refraction potential.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37770 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73085 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.