BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-12-04 7:40 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by brigby1

The (massively underutilized) Run Challenge Group from awhile back had some good things and methods to incorporate faster work. The more general concept there is also how I've tended to work things in (well, when it goes well). Think of working this in almost like a smaller subset of running in general. Start smaller with things you can handle more easily, both interval duration and total work. It might take a few rounds, or even a couple workouts to get used to the faster running. And then grow it from there. I've had to work up to being used to the fastest paces. Don't try to knock the workouts out of the park. Learn how to get something decent in, but also have a little something left over. With some practice you can later challenge yourself some more with it, but you do want to both keep running consistently and be able to do the harder work at whatever regularity is planned. It may not be as big at first, but getting used to something being there has helped in adapting and learning.

To the bolded, this is so true.  Shane has been getting me to do 200s and 300s at the track for a few weeks and yesterday was the first time something clicked and I understood what he meant when he said it should feel fast and smooth.  It was like a lightbulb going off and I just got it all of a sudden.  It will probably be gone next week.  

Keep up the practice! I've had that and additional moments too, figuring out more as I do these more regularly. I was also thinking of a few other things. More along the lines of getting used to working that hard and developing a feel for the way it brings on fatigue. Repetition pace work (200's & 400's mostly) really showed all this. Had to start quite a bit slower than the prescribed pace (by VDOT) to learn to be smooth. It's up near mile pace so the hurt it brings feels different and sure comes on at a harder rate than I was used to. Then because it was fast and quick, various parts of my body had to develop some more to handle it. Stride changed some and this was most notable around the feet, ankles and calves. Needed time to work in better range of motion and more strength. Also learned I might feel much more sore in these areas the next day even though right after the workout seemed just fine. It's fun with how much easier it is to go so much faster now! At least for a short bit.

2014-12-04 9:20 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion

Originally posted by mndymond Another snowshoe run in the books for today. 25min. The single track was at least somewhat packed today so it was a bit nicer than the other day. I also skate skied for the first time ever! Like 500m but I didn't fall down! Victory! Haha. I just roamed back and forth on the flat near the ski lodge. Haha.

You seem much too excited about the snow.  I'm happy that ours keeps melting after coming down (so far).

I wouldn't mind a little more to make it useful so long as some of it seems to be sticking around. Haven't really snowshoed yet other then a quick demo in the yard. Would like to skate ski a little more. Trails tend to be a bit of a drive and skis are a bit long for it. The back ends cross unless I take a too wide stance. Still fun to do, and so fast when things click right!

I think it's more of a "need to accept the snow is here" type of deal. Northern BC=must embrace snow. (Well basically everywhere in the west that isn't vancouver/Victoria)

I got skate skis, boots and poles for $125 at the ski swap here. Pretty good deal. Lol. Skis are pretty much the right height for me so I don't have overlap. If I used my classic skis though I'd have trouble. Prob go out again after work to get some practice in. I don't think I'm very bio mechanically savvy at the moment.

Now I need skates to practice skating. Debating if I'll be able to do the "iceman" this year or not. Lol. 8k ski, 10k run, 5k skate, 5k run, 800m swim
2014-12-04 9:43 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mndymond  Debating if I'll be able to do the "iceman" this year or not. Lol. 8k ski, 10k run, 5k skate, 5k run, 800m swim

Open water swim?  

2014-12-04 9:50 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mndymond  Debating if I'll be able to do the "iceman" this year or not. Lol. 8k ski, 10k run, 5k skate, 5k run, 800m swim

Open water swim?  

I was thinking something like this?

Is any of the running in snowshoes? Or was that implied?

2014-12-04 4:53 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Keep up the practice! I've had that and additional moments too, figuring out more as I do these more regularly. I was also thinking of a few other things. More along the lines of getting used to working that hard and developing a feel for the way it brings on fatigue. Repetition pace work (200's & 400's mostly) really showed all this. Had to start quite a bit slower than the prescribed pace (by VDOT) to learn to be smooth. It's up near mile pace so the hurt it brings feels different and sure comes on at a harder rate than I was used to. Then because it was fast and quick, various parts of my body had to develop some more to handle it. Stride changed some and this was most notable around the feet, ankles and calves. Needed time to work in better range of motion and more strength. Also learned I might feel much more sore in these areas the next day even though right after the workout seemed just fine. It's fun with how much easier it is to go so much faster now! At least for a short bit.

Yeah, I had to back off the VDOT pace a bit at first too.  First time he gave me a target time for the 200s which I could do but it felt far from smooth, next time he said to forget the time and just go for the fast and smooth feeling.  That went better but was slower.  Yesterday was the 4th time through and I finally felt fast and smooth and the times were back down to the original targets (although I wasn't at the track so a GPS measured distance - possibly/probably off a bit).

2014-12-05 7:40 AM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, I had to back off the VDOT pace a bit at first too.  First time he gave me a target time for the 200s which I could do but it felt far from smooth, next time he said to forget the time and just go for the fast and smooth feeling.  That went better but was slower.  Yesterday was the 4th time through and I finally felt fast and smooth and the times were back down to the original targets (although I wasn't at the track so a GPS measured distance - possibly/probably off a bit).

It's nice when the 200's become rather easy. Feel the effort going up, but stop before it actually starts to get hard. 400's are still a challenge. What I'm following actually takes the same pace out to 800's once in awhile, but (thankfully) has a provision of not really going much past 2' for the duration. So I cut it there which is about 600 for me. In some of Daniels work is the lesser known F-pace, which for me I think would be about 25" per mile faster than R-pace. I'm kind of not doing that one.

The provision about the 2:00 limit for the Repetition work is one way to tell if someone really read through the work vs who just skimmed over or is cherry-picking trying to drop a name. There are things like that all over the place. Another using 5' for 1 mile t-pace intervals for runners who aren't up at elite speed. Sometimes it'll specify the lesser of the two and others it won't, but in earlier readings it says the swap is fine most anywhere. Also found some encouragement to do the repetition pace work on hills using the grade equivalent efforts. 

2014-12-05 11:39 AM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-12-05 11:44 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-12-05 11:47 AM

Seattle

The (massively underutilized) Run Challenge Group from awhile back had some good things and methods to incorporate faster work. The more general concept there is also how I've tended to work things in (well, when it goes well). Think of working this in almost like a smaller subset of running in general. Start smaller with things you can handle more easily, both interval duration and total work. It might take a few rounds, or even a couple workouts to get used to the faster running. And then grow it from there. I've had to work up to being used to the fastest paces. Don't try to knock the workouts out of the park. Learn how to get something decent in, but also have a little something left over. With some practice you can later challenge yourself some more with it, but you do want to both keep running consistently and be able to do the harder work at whatever regularity is planned. It may not be as big at first, but getting used to something being there has helped in adapting and learning.

To the bolded, this is so true.  Shane has been getting me to do 200s and 300s at the track for a few weeks and yesterday was the first time something clicked and I understood what he meant when he said it should feel fast and smooth.  It was like a lightbulb going off and I just got it all of a sudden.  It will probably be gone next week.  

YES!

When I started doing shorter, faster reps I felt it really taught me a lot about where I can safely go for racing those shorter distances. It taught me about the kind of "pain" (I hate using negative words to describe running but there is a little pain at these distances) is good and what is bad and what will sink me if I start out too fast.

I've always been a big proponent of lots of easy miles, and I still am. But a little speed is a really good thing.

2014-12-05 12:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

So far on my new 'PC' I have downloaded:

1. PerfPro. LOve it.
  2. VeloReality. Have some Italian and French riding up ahead.
  3. Sufferfest videos, which can be linked up with Perfpro nicely.
  4. Going to put Racermate One on soon when the disc arrives.

Working on getting a 24' HDMI cable, as the wireless options don't seem to be quite there yet.

Really, really looking forward to the new Man Cave. Will post pics soon. (2 weeks)

I converted an old garage at the back of our property into a "pain cave". I had to break and pour a cement floor, dig a trench from the house to the garage to bring electricity and insulate. I think I scored 5000 TSS points on this. Tough tough labor.
It's not huge (11x18) but I can blast speakers since I'm not in the house

Right now the finish is insulation with vapor barrier over it. Next year, when I'm 100% sure there are no condensation leakage issues I'll do some nice wood panelling on the inside.

The main advantage of RM1 over the original sw is being able to use the Garmin HR strap.
2014-12-05 12:28 PM

Champion

Open water swim?  

I was thinking something like this?

Is any of the running in snowshoes? Or was that implied?

No its just "normal" running.

Run from the xcountry park to the ice oval and then run from the ice oval to the pool. lol.

2014-12-05 12:37 PM

Seattle

Originally posted by mndymond

Originally posted by mndymond Another snowshoe run in the books for today. 25min. The single track was at least somewhat packed today so it was a bit nicer than the other day. I also skate skied for the first time ever! Like 500m but I didn't fall down! Victory! Haha. I just roamed back and forth on the flat near the ski lodge. Haha.

You seem much too excited about the snow.  I'm happy that ours keeps melting after coming down (so far).

I wouldn't mind a little more to make it useful so long as some of it seems to be sticking around. Haven't really snowshoed yet other then a quick demo in the yard. Would like to skate ski a little more. Trails tend to be a bit of a drive and skis are a bit long for it. The back ends cross unless I take a too wide stance. Still fun to do, and so fast when things click right!

I think it's more of a "need to accept the snow is here" type of deal. Northern BC=must embrace snow. (Well basically everywhere in the west that isn't vancouver/Victoria) I got skate skis, boots and poles for $125 at the ski swap here. Pretty good deal. Lol. Skis are pretty much the right height for me so I don't have overlap. If I used my classic skis though I'd have trouble. Prob go out again after work to get some practice in. I don't think I'm very bio mechanically savvy at the moment. Now I need skates to practice skating. Debating if I'll be able to do the "iceman" this year or not. Lol. 8k ski, 10k run, 5k skate, 5k run, 800m swim

I love skate skiing! And classic. It sure beats snowshoeing and it much more like running.

I like snowshoeing but it's just slow and inefficient. I did a snowshoe race here but it was like 3K or something. 

I'm glad you are embracing the winter sports. That iceman sounds awesome. 

2014-12-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: marcag

My pan cave just has the 45" (or whatever it is) TV, CT with a laptop run on ERG mode and Amazon Prime for TV.

Speaking of which, I found my way onto the trainer yesterday for the first time in... ?

I've been so freaking busy I was not getting workouts in, even on the relaxed schedule for off season.  but yesterday had an unexpected break and needed some endorphins, so I rode the trainer, then went the gym, ran :30 on the treadmill, and then did masters swim. I am sure Shane didn't intend for that all to be on one day... but so be it.

2014-12-05 2:01 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Fred D

Marc, I worked on the left am today. It tends to crossover more, so I feel I was balancing this out with a wider pull. Too wide I agree. Will try to get better vids.

Had a fantastic swim FWIW today. 15x100 on 1:45 with coming in at 1:18-1:22.

Also did 1000 kick...

Nice swim and good set of 100's.

Pulling wide is just as bad as crossover. Use your hip's to help drive your rotation, as you catch the water keep the elbow up as the hand drives down and back. Think of a 12' ring in front of your head that you enter your hand through before the catch. This works best with better rotation. Arend avatar is a good head on view of that.

2014-12-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I love skate skiing! And classic. It sure beats snowshoeing and it much more like running.

I like snowshoeing but it's just slow and inefficient. I did a snowshoe race here but it was like 3K or something. 

You should swim more.
2014-12-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Seattle

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by Asalzwed I love skate skiing! And classic. It sure beats snowshoeing and it much more like running.

You should swim more.

I think if I just came in with enough momentum off the skis I could skim across the 800M and not have to swim at all

2014-12-06 9:34 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

You've inspired me to remember what it feels like to run fast again!  (and, yes, I've been stalking along here for some time, if inactively - back in training as of this last week and will subject you to my occasional posting again - run roh)

Did a fartlek run in the hills last night and targeted the "feeling" of doing 400 repeats pace/effort-wise, but for shorter distances (starting back and don't want to go POP).  Felt a bit awkward at first, but my legs remembered what they were supposed to do after a couple pickups.  Felt awesome!

Thanks for waking me up...  

Matt

2014-12-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Seattle

Alright, headed to Cali to run a marathon. It's been a crazy training cycle but I'm ready to run!

2014-12-06 12:32 PM

Champion

Alright, headed to Cali to run a marathon. It's been a crazy training cycle but I'm ready to run!

Nice! Good luck!
2014-12-06 12:34 PM

Champion
Treadmill run yesterday and didn't end up with a sore foot today. Planning on going out in a little while for a skate ski and then maybe go out and get real skates later today! The oval just opened today!

Gotta get training for the Iceman!!! Haha.
2014-12-06 1:13 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Rock on!  Hope you have a wonderful race.

Matt

2014-12-06 1:18 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good luck!

2014-12-06 4:54 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Go get'em girl!

2014-12-07 4:56 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Veteran
Austin, Texas

FYI - Salty PR'd!!

I'll let her dish the deets, but she did, indeed, rock it.

<hey Saaaaalty - dish!>

Matt

2014-12-07 4:59 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Did the first longer run (with Kim - The Better Half) today - just over 10.  I'd almost forgotten the feeling of a distance run - a different kind of "pain."  I use quotes because it's not really pain, just that mix of tired and little achy that comes from pushing distance and is different from pushing speed.

Anyone else get that after pushing distance up?

All in, though, it really felt great to just keep running.  How was everyone else's training this weekend?  Still in off-season mode, or starting to structure toward races?

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37849 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73143 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.