General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tour de Kirkwood : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-01 2:41 PM

User image

Subject: Tour de Kirkwood : Official Thread
Hi there -

This will be my first year doing this race. If anyone has feedback, comments or questions feel free to share.

Nina

2014-07-01 3:24 PM
in reply to: Nvmiller

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Tour de Kirkwood : Official Thread

Pool swim, 1/2 closed bike course, pretty hilly run so train a few hills......very laid back atmosphere, no awards.  You will have a great time! 

2014-07-02 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
I haven't done Kirkwood before, but from what I have heard from those who have is that so long as you are lucky enough to dodge any serious heat then you should have a great time!
2014-08-11 11:30 AM

User image

So race update. After fininshing this race I have some advice. TRAIN HILLS. I should have known better but I didn't really focus on training hills, I just continues with my regular training plan that has incline but not enough to be successful in this race. The bike loop is two loops with a steep decline and an almost 45 degree turn before you start your climb into the "hill" which seemed like a mountain to me. I am not a strong biker regarding my clips so I slowed down to make the sharp turn before the climb so I was starting out at an almost stop. Normally, I would say for the bike hills don't bother me but this one is one you should be ready for because it can really hurt your time since it is only a 10 mile bike with the hill twice. So train hills, train hillls, and train hills.

Also, for the run it was short which was nice but my legs were pretty much smoked from the lovely hill. So when you get past your first 1/2 mile there is a another small hill but just make sure that you can handle it after the bike is my suggestion.

Regarding the swim, most people were not accurate on how fast they were so it was difficult to pass and kind of a cluster so be prepared to be stuck in the lanes sometimes.

I just wanted to share my advice bc most people would say "some hills" where I think they were much more influential in this race than people gave them credit.

The race was fun and good beginner race. Fun enivornment.
2014-08-11 4:07 PM

I fortunately knew those hills and incorporated them into my rides. Worse yet, they follow a brutal worse hill for me to get there, but such is life. It was my first time doing Kirkwood. I really wanted to do it last year for my first ever, but couldn't. I was surprised at the rather low number of folks who came out to 'watch'. I guess everyone was at Church. The Sunset Hills one seemed to have a lot of friends and family and what even appeared to be just people out taking in the madness.

The old bike course that they did up until 2 years ago had a left turn at that downhill. A little wider turn and you could carry some momentum and not immediately start the slow trek uphill to the vertical wall of Sugar Creek Rd.. But, the other way up that hill on Doughtery Ferry, I think...is worse. It just never seems to stop.

What sucks, is you go up that hill almost 5 times. Twice on the bike, then on each loop of the run you're doing about 3/4s of that hill twice, then on the last loop, you're going all the way back to the top. Well, almost. I didn't even want to drive up that hill for a week. Odd, though, my run was much faster than normal.

It's certainly a fun one and great for newbs like me and great for first timers, other than the hills. I was one who misjudged. I was a full 15 seconds off my usual time in the pool. Not sure why. But, nothing like the mass craziness that happened in the 5 minute pileup.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tour de Kirkwood : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kirkwood/Fenton/Alligator's Creek

Started by soccermom15
Views: 2512 Posts: 10

2012-08-01 11:52 AM CycloneVM

Eye Run for Haiti : Official Thread

Started by maromando
Views: 1531 Posts: 2

2010-08-24 8:03 AM soccermom15

Big Shark New Twon Traithlon : Official Thread

Started by flyersb90
Views: 2805 Posts: 7

2009-07-23 8:13 AM JenSTL

The Kansas City Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by atasic
Views: 3731 Posts: 11

2010-05-24 2:31 PM TriJayhawkRyan

Who Tri's Harder? Multisport Weekend : Official Thread

Started by flyersb90
Views: 1412 Posts: 3

2009-05-27 12:41 PM xcrunner2010
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.