General Discussion Triathlon Talk » At what distance do you forego the wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-07 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: At what distance do you forego the wetsuit?
I am looking at a race in August where the water temp generally falls in the wetsuit allowed but not required range (low 70s). The swim is only 700 yards. Given that short of a distance does a wetsuit make sense?

At what distance does the benefit become so small that the extra time in transition makes it no worth the effort?

2014-07-07 9:27 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Subject: RE: At what distance do you forego the wetsuit?
If you feel more comfortable wearing it (read: not too confident about the swim) then by all means wear the thing! I'd say anything lower than 1,000 yds/meter and you're probably losing time on trying to get the thing off. I know last year I was freaking out at my HIM and IM thinking the water temp would be too warm but it wasn't and I was able to wear mine. It helped my nerves a lot. This year, I'm confident enough to where I know I could do the swims without one if I had to.
2014-07-07 9:30 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
2014-07-07 9:37 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Blastman

If you feel more comfortable wearing it (read: not too confident about the swim) then by all means wear the thing! I'd say anything lower than 1,000 yds/meter and you're probably losing time on trying to get the thing off. I know last year I was freaking out at my HIM and IM thinking the water temp would be too warm but it wasn't and I was able to wear mine. It helped my nerves a lot. This year, I'm confident enough to where I know I could do the swims without one if I had to.

I probably should have added that I am a fishie. I am infinitely more comfortable swimming than running so I don't need it as way to help be get thru the swim. I know that I am still not as proficient as I should or could be getting the wetsuit off. So would I be just as well off not wearing it for such a short swim?
2014-07-07 9:53 PM

User image

You should have the wetsuit almost all the way off by the time you get to your bike. So long as the wetsuit fits properly and you have put it on properly, a 700 yd swim at 70 ish degrees I am definitely wearing it. Whats the air temp going to be? For me (FOP swimmer) it's not the distance but a combo of water temp and air temp. There is a point where it might become dangerous. Also remember 70 degrees is still almost 30 degrees colder than body temps. You will spend energy trying to keep warm even if you don't feel cold.
2014-07-07 10:07 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
If you're talking about time then only you can really answer that question. The question you have to ask yourself is "do you feel lucky?". Oops, different forum. Some people may gain 30 seconds by wearing a wetsuit but lose more than 30 seconds dealing with it in transition. If you swim 30 seconds faster with it in your 700 yard swim and spend 20 seconds dealing with it, then that's a net gain of 10 seconds not to mention possibly using less energy during the swim. Some people will gain over a minute during a 700 yard swim.

Strong swimmers with good body position will gain less with a wetsuit than weaker swimmers with poor body position, especially those with "sinking" legs.

I've seen some people having trouble with the wetsuit (pulling the zipper down, pulling it off the legs over the timing chip etc.) which adds time so make sure you practice. At races around my neck of the woods if the water is just below the legal limit almost everyone wears one, including the stronger swimmers.

2014-07-07 10:19 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think it has more to do with how much you care about the race.  If I save 10 seconds, but it's a pain in the butt to deal with and I'm in the middle of the pack anyway... I might leave it at home.  How much does a few seconds either way really matter? How much do you dislike your wetsuit that you'd even bother to ask?

2014-07-08 5:37 AM

User image

I save about 10 seconds per 100 in a wetsuit.

It takes approximately 10-15 seconds to take the thing off in transition (usually less)

If the swim is 200 yards, it's worth it to wear the wetsuit.

Simple.

2014-07-08 6:19 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Originally posted by DanielG

I save about 10 seconds per 100 in a wetsuit.

It takes approximately 10-15 seconds to take the thing off in transition (usually less)

If the swim is 200 yards, it's worth it to wear the wetsuit.

Simple.

exactly my logic. x2
2014-07-08 7:41 AM
in reply to: pburnett

User image

That really depends on how fast you are at getting you're wetsuit off as opposed to how much time it saves you. It takes me 10 - 15 seconds to take off the wetsuit so if it saves me more than 10 - 15 seconds on the swim, I use it (which is for any race that it is legal). It only takes a little practise to get efficient at pulling it down around your knees, yanking your legs up so it around your ankles, and then stepping on the empty leg part with one leg while you pull up with the other to pop it off the ankle.
2014-07-08 7:55 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Agree with the math on time savings.  Another point to consider, though, is decreased energy use on the swim even at the same speed.  If you have good body position and the like, it  might not save a ton of time (although if you're counting every second it usually still is a net positive to wear), but it can decrease the energy used to complete the distance (both for heat, as mentioned above, and "easier" mechanics).

If it's legal and you care about time, it's almost always worth wearing it (IMO).  If you don't care about a few seconds here or there, then do what's most fun!

Matt

2014-07-08 8:08 AM

Master
Northern IL

Might skip it for a supersprint, but in a sprint on up I'm using it. An exception has been if I'm testing how I'm doing for a later event that won't use a wetsuit.

2014-07-08 9:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I watched 9 girls of a lead pack in a draft legal race get out of the water together.  Two of them did not have wetsuits.....they were out of transition about 10-15 seconds ahead of the girls in suits.  It was only a 375 swim.  If you are good at getting out of your wetsuit, that's about what it will cost you getting it off....10-15 seconds. 

ETA - I should add....if you don't know how to strip out of your wetsuit....it could take minutes. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-08 9:11 AM
2014-07-08 9:12 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I save about 5 seconds per hundred, so anything under 400-450 yards I don't bother with a wetsuit.

If it were 600-700 yards and 77° water temp I would probably no use it either.
2014-07-08 9:17 AM

User image

I only wear one in a sprint due to water and or air temp.  The speed benefit vs stripping off the wet suit is minamal for me.  I may gain a small advantage by wearing one in a sprint but I'd just rather not have to strip it off.  Anything longer I would wear one if I could.

2014-07-08 9:58 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I wear my wetsuit every race, regardless of distance.

For me, I'm just sticking with the "don't do anything different on race day" mantra.

2014-07-08 10:05 AM
in reply to: pburnett

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by pburnett
Originally posted by DanielG I save about 10 seconds per 100 in a wetsuit. It takes approximately 10-15 seconds to take the thing off in transition (usually less) If the swim is 200 yards, it's worth it to wear the wetsuit. Simple.
exactly my logic. x2

Yep.  This  ^^^^^

2014-07-08 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Lots of good comments here but one thing I failed to see. Speed is one factor to look at, Heat and water temperature is another.

If you are racing in a race that has a high air temp 85+ or the water temp is comfortable (subjective to everyone) but lets say 75. It might be worth considering if that wetsuit really is advantageous. In other words, will the time gained and less energy expended trump the possibility of overheating in the swim? This may not be for everyone, but for bigger unit athletes, or athletes that tend to heat up rather quickly it is important to consider if wearing 5mm of rubber will serve you best in the long run. This is also another reason why a sleeveless suit is a great option.
2014-07-08 10:20 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25 Lots of good comments here but one thing I failed to see. Speed is one factor to look at, Heat and water temperature is another. If you are racing in a race that has a high air temp 85+ or the water temp is comfortable (subjective to everyone) but lets say 75. It might be worth considering if that wetsuit really is advantageous. In other words, will the time gained and less energy expended trump the possibility of overheating in the swim? This may not be for everyone, but for bigger unit athletes, or athletes that tend to heat up rather quickly it is important to consider if wearing 5mm of rubber will serve you best in the long run. This is also another reason why a sleeveless suit is a great option.

Good comment.  At Chicago the water was in the low to mid 60's.....but the elite athlete race, at least for the males,  was not wetsuit legal because of the high humidity.  You can cook in that thing if you have a big engine.

2014-07-08 10:38 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25

Lots of good comments here but one thing I failed to see. Speed is one factor to look at, Heat and water temperature is another.

If you are racing in a race that has a high air temp 85+ or the water temp is comfortable (subjective to everyone) but lets say 75. It might be worth considering if that wetsuit really is advantageous. In other words, will the time gained and less energy expended trump the possibility of overheating in the swim? This may not be for everyone, but for bigger unit athletes, or athletes that tend to heat up rather quickly it is important to consider if wearing 5mm of rubber will serve you best in the long run. This is also another reason why a sleeveless suit is a great option.

I ended up getting a sleeveless for longer races and water temps above 70.
2014-07-08 10:41 AM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Swimbikeron

For me, I'm just sticking with the "don't do anything different on race day" mantra.

Just so I am clear, do you wear a wetsuit for every practice? If not, aren't you doing something on race day that you don't do any other time?

2014-07-08 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Lots of good comments here. That's why I love BT, I always learn something. So taking the comments into consideration I looked at the expected temp (assuming there is any validity to a forecast over a month away). The high for the day will be approaching 90. No detail at to what it might be early in the day.

Based on what I have learned here and what I know about myself, I am still leaning towards not wearing a wetsuit. Here is my rationale:

1. I am an excellent swimmer. While a wetsuit is faster the differential is not huge.
2. Water temps in the 70s are something I am quite comfortable with.
3. I do swim hot (yes I sweat when I am swim training).
4. It's going to be a hot day.
5. It's only 700 yards.

I may be crazy and may change my mind but for now, that's where I'm at. Thanks for all the insights.
2014-07-08 12:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by Stuartap

Just so I am clear, do you wear a wetsuit for every practice? If not, aren't you doing something on race day that you don't do any other time?

I've wondered the same thing and experimented a bit. My conclusion is that you should practise enough with the wetsuit so that you're comfortable with it. Then practise without it, maybe sticking in a wetsuit practice once in a while. It helps me with technique to practise without and then I get a bonus in the race when I have it on and it doesn't seem to mess up my technique.
2014-07-08 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Stuartap Lots of good comments here. That's why I love BT, I always learn something. So taking the comments into consideration I looked at the expected temp (assuming there is any validity to a forecast over a month away). The high for the day will be approaching 90. No detail at to what it might be early in the day. Based on what I have learned here and what I know about myself, I am still leaning towards not wearing a wetsuit. Here is my rationale: 1. I am an excellent swimmer. While a wetsuit is faster the differential is not huge. 2. Water temps in the 70s are something I am quite comfortable with. 3. I do swim hot (yes I sweat when I am swim training). 4. It's going to be a hot day. 5. It's only 700 yards. I may be crazy and may change my mind but for now, that's where I'm at. Thanks for all the insights.

Given this info I would likely skip the wetsuit.

There is a local sprint I have done a few times around here. It is in August so air temps by the time you get to the run can be 90-100. The water is comfortable without a suit, even in the morning. The swim is only 500 yards. I have never worn a wetsuit for this race and I don't see a circumstance where I would. Not worth the hassle in transition and/or the possibility of being too warm. I run hot anyway so coming out of the swim and onto the bike a bit cool is better for me anyway. 

2014-07-09 9:33 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Stuartap

Race day routine is always the same. I'll take my wetsuit to the pool at times for part of a workout, but when the water there is 82+, I avoid long or frequent use in a heated pool.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » At what distance do you forego the wetsuit? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What distances do wetsuits truly aid?

Started by fcrellin791
Views: 2138 Posts: 25

2014-07-09 7:40 AM jbrookscga78

Shortest Distance for Wetsuit?

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 1138 Posts: 7

2008-07-14 2:19 PM lisac957

Wetsuits, wetsuits, wetsuits

Started by joemac3
Views: 1888 Posts: 12

2007-09-04 7:40 PM haygosl

So this is how an olympic distance is "supposed" to be done

Started by chris hughes
Views: 1638 Posts: 16

2006-09-28 7:25 PM chirunner134

Well, I'm doing the OLY distance at Pleasant Prairie

Started by bmax
Views: 506 Posts: 2

2005-08-15 8:57 PM StartingToTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.