General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spending way too much money on triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-10 9:05 PM

Subject: Spending way too much money on triathlon
Been doing triathlon for about a year or so now. I started out with all the basic gear but now I'm looking to upgrade things now I know I'll be involved in this sport for a long time.

Although I'm getting caught in a trap of spending way too much on these things.

I was looking in the running shop for a new run jacket for $130, new wetsuit for $400, etc.

When do you get to the point where you say enough is enough? Or to the point where upgrading in certain areas isn't worth it?

2014-07-10 9:17 PM
in reply to: elliot.power

Subject: RE: Spending way too much money on triathlon
Originally posted by elliot.power

When do you get to the point where you say enough is enough? Or to the point where upgrading in certain areas isn't worth it?

Only you can determine when enough is enough. Many factors to consider including looking way into the future.
2014-07-10 9:29 PM

User image

You should manage your finances like any other person would.  The way I see it, if I were not into triathlon, cycling, etc...I'd be spending my money on something else.  If you get to a point where you are considering spending money that you wouldn't otherwise spend...you should stop.

2014-07-10 10:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

In race fees, airline travel, gas, hotel, swim club fees, and other coaching fees we are over $20,000 per year.  Equipment is extra but we don't pay full price for any of it as we buy it through team sponsors, etc...and many of the discounts are steep. 

I would encourage you to buy almost NOTHING new when starting out.  This sport is chock full of people who buy and buy and then quit in a year or even less....you can buy their gear for pennies on the dollar and it's barely used.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-10 10:04 PM
2014-07-10 10:05 PM

User image

You have to budget for what works for you. I buy almost all of my workout cloths on the cheap at tj maxx/marshalls, sierra trading post, target, or assorted clearance racks (I cleaned up at trisports clearance sale this year) Depending on your goals what is a $400 really necessary? You can get an xtara suit for a lot less then that with a coupon code... not sure if BT still has one kicking around but I get them with race registrations too. The only thins I really pay full price for is bike maintenance supplies and running shoes (although I'll stock up if I ever find shoes I like on sale).
2014-07-11 7:57 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I can't honestly remember paying full price for anything tri-related (other than shoes at my LRS). One thing I had to get over was buying new parts for my bike to replace functional parts just because I thought they looked cooler on my bike.

2014-07-11 7:58 AM

User image

Exton, PA
one guy in the neighborhood thought I was crazy spending $2000 on a bike, then we started adding up how much he spent playing golf in one season. Before finishing he realized the bike was cheaper!

This is for fun, spend what you think is reasonable. You can do tri's relatively cheap or spend a boat load, totally up to you. The race fees are the only thing that is a set price. I personally do not travel much for them, once you travel to do a race you start spending a lot more.
2014-07-11 8:27 AM

User image

Miami
As others said, how much is too much depends on each individual.

However, there are ways to stretch your budget. I usually bought most of my stuff online, I plan ahead what I need/want and I start doing some research. Once I find the websites that carry the products I want at a discounted price, I sign up for their newsletter/email and wait for discounts codes, promotional campaigns, etc. Also, if you buy last season items, which probably only suffered a minimal change in color/design, you can get steeper discounts.

Since I plan ahead, I usually don't need these things in a hurry and I don't mind waiting a little bit to buy them, so I can do so at a lower price.
2014-07-11 8:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by Left Brain

In race fees, airline travel, gas, hotel, swim club fees, and other coaching fees we are over $20,000 per year.  Equipment is extra but we don't pay full price for any of it as we buy it through team sponsors, etc...and many of the discounts are steep. 

I would encourage you to buy almost NOTHING new when starting out.  This sport is chock full of people who buy and buy and then quit in a year or even less....you can buy their gear for pennies on the dollar and it's barely used.

Originally posted by mike761
one guy in the neighborhood thought I was crazy spending $2000 on a bike, then we started adding up how much he spent playing golf in one season. Before finishing he realized the bike was cheaper!

^^^^ This is the hobbyist gospel ^^^^

Lucky for me, I learned this lesson in 2 different areas before I started this (for health, not competition)

1) Bowling- At one point, I had my PBA card, and I did the whole tour thing. TBH it was a LOT of fun, and I did cash decently (never made "the show" though) during my time participating. Let me approach this from a League Bowler viewpoint. Bowling Balls are easily $200+ each now. Add in finger inserts if you use them (the fitting/drilling is generally included in the original price), and we'll call it $250 to keep a nice round number. Everyone seems to think you need 4 or more to adjust for conditions, so that's a cool grand out the door. But wait. Shoes.... Who wants to use nasty house shoes. The last pair I bought (15+ years ago) were $160, and they're classic styled and don't even have swappable soles like all the big boys are using now. Now... you gotta get to the lanes.... Oh... a bowling bag to haul your 4 balls around (Really... I just wanted to say "4 balls"... some bags hold 6)... well that's another easy $200. Mmmmmkay... practice. We seem to think 3x a week in each discipline is the minimum if you want to improve. Now I'll argue this all day long: Bowling really is a sport. If you disagree, come out with me and we'll drop 10 games really quick, then you can tell me how you feel . But that's a discussion for another day. For sake of arguement, let's practice the common set of 3 games, 3x/week at roughly $3.50/game. That's $31.50. That comes to $1648/year, just for practice! Don't get my started on Leagues, League Fees, and USBC, and tournaments, ad nauseum...

2) Tools- I am an Auto Tech by trade. I've come across guys that just NEED to have all their tools say one of those special names like "SnapOn, Matco, MAC, Cornwell". It costs MORE for a tool chest that some of these guys feel they need than a Tri Bike. When I say that, I absolutely mean $12K-plus. Now yes, I do have a smattering of tools with big names on them. There are tools out there that you can't find at Home Depot or Sears, but the vast majority of what a tech NEEDS doesn't necessarily have to come from the priciest source. TBH, there are a few guys I know that need every tool they have and they use and abuse them as they should be... But, little Johnny working at GoodYear doesn't need a 5K SnapOn box. Just a little funny side note: One of those Super Techs I mentioned had a new box delivered one day.... SnapOn pulled up and it was hanging off the back of his truck. It took a flatbed tow truck to remove it from the tool truck, then backed up to the door and offloaded it like a car...

I'm sorry if this was TL:DR, but it's not just triathletes whose hobby is costly. However, there are ways to cut costs for anyone who wants to get out and do whatever.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-07-11 8:34 AM
2014-07-11 8:38 AM

treat it like a hobby, rc helicopters or model trains, what would you spend? I save 80% of my pay from work for school, and the rest I spend on gas and tri.
2014-07-11 9:09 AM

User image

Just echoing what others have said, look for used or discount, sale stuff if it's things you "want".  I've found if you are patient you can find great deals on all this stuff.   You can get by training/racing with minimal gear if you are budget constrained.

I had been mulling over getting a new TT bike and put if off for awhile after hearing so much crap of why do you need to spend $2 - $3k on a bike, you're not a pro it's a hobby.  That was from friends who race and friends who had no idea about the sport.(wife had no problems with it!)  I considered things like I don't play golf all that much anymore and had dropped memebrship.  Don't really have any other hobbies as I just don't have a ton of free time.  Then it really hit home when out for a run one day I went by a house and saw a really sharp looking Harley in the garage.  Then I realized that maybe 2K on a bike really wasn't too bad for a hobby.

However I am pretty good at justifying things with myself!

2014-07-11 9:33 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I got into this trap, too, when I first started. While I got a screaming deal on my bike ($500 brand new TT bike, you old timers will remember that deal a bunch of us jumped on!) I went overboard on training clothes, 2 wetsuits (full and no sleeve! gotta have both!), upgraded bike shoes, tires, wheels, Garmin, sunglasses, helmet - it just all ads up. Now I have a closet FULL of bike jerseys and tri tops I've worn once, a wetsuit I don't use, 2 pairs of everything.

I will say it's nice to have an "extra" of some things like helmet, bike shoes and sunglasses for when I misplace something or want to lend something to a friend. But totally not necessary whatsoever.

And others have said this but I will echo the budget thing. Just like any other purchase, think in advance of what you need/want and how much you'll spend. Budget that out for however many months you can comfortably save up. Then buy it. I think a lot of people get caught up in a sale or a shiny new product and feel they have to buy it RIGHT NOW, when they really can't afford it.

2014-07-11 9:48 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

I got into this trap, too, when I first started. While I got a screaming deal on my bike ($500 brand new TT bike, you old timers will remember that deal a bunch of us jumped on!)

Share a ride?

2014-07-11 10:07 AM

, Wisconsin
It's real easy for me . . . the boss just says no to virtually all "non essential" spending. IF I do buy something like new tires or needed tri/bike/run clothes, shoes etc. I almost always buy on sale or closeout etc. I've decided to play a mental game of trying to be as fast as I can on a really low budget. To quote the incredible Eddy Merckx, "Forget the upgrades, ride the grades"
2014-07-11 10:25 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Just needed to add "YOU"RE" to the title of this thread and I may have heard that a couple of times from the DCOS.

Seriously, as others have said, it has to be personal budget.  You really can save a lot of money following the advice on here, second hand equipment from people that have done a season or two, and that can be everything from clothing to hardware.

2014-07-11 10:47 AM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

It does level off a bit after a while, but then the spending can always pick up again with upgrades or longer races. My wife is very supportive of my tri and cycling, luckily I bought a lot of the stuff I needed for a HIM when I was single. However my wife loves to buy me cycling stuff. I spend a lot of my free time on tri, so I don't have a problem with spending some money on it. After my IM this year I should be good to go on gear for the next many years. 

And Xwhatever to finding stuff on sale. My TT bike sat on the showroom floor for some 14 months before I bought it at a great price (still new). My roadie was purchased for a steep discount at a bike shop grand opening. My wife wanted to get me some race wheels this year, she ended up talking my LBS into selling her their rental wheels that had been used 5-6 times for a very steep discount, etc. There are some very good deals on clothing, I never pay full price for workout clothes, takes some searching sometimes but they are there.

Try the classifieds here and on ST. ST has a ton of stuff being posted constantly, some very good deals. 

2014-07-11 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Get a pt job at a tri/bike shop

2014-07-11 3:41 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
If only that had a (weight+cost)/performance ratio category, I'd be FOP for sure. If I had the dough, I'd be out of the n+0 category. It's like many other hobbies, my co-worker just laid down over $2K for golf clubs, he's like a 20 handicap.
2014-07-11 4:35 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

If you're spending grocery money or rent money on gear, that's "too much."  How you choose to spend discretionary money is up to you.  

I'm a very frugal shopper.  Most of my gear has been on sale, closeout, or used.  When I started out, I had 2 pairs of bike shorts and 3 pairs of running shorts.  I purchased another pair after the season and do that regularly.  I now have 3 pairs of shorts, 3 pairs of bibs, and a pair of tri shorts for cycling and about 8 pairs of running shorts.  I found some white, dri-wick shirts for $3 each a few years back and haven't bought running shirts since (I have converted a few dri-wick shirts to running use).  I got wind pants, shells, etc. on end of season closeouts or at TJMaxx (or even Walmart).  Even at that, I've probably got $1000 worth of clothing accumulated over the almost 10 years I've been doing this.  

I'm not racing for money, so it's hard to justify any "upgrade."  I did buy a set of "race wheels" from a bike shop for $100 (they were basic takeoff's) because I wanted the freehub and lower gearing options for a hilly race.  I do have gear that makes the day nicer, but again, this was purchased out of discretionary funds instead of going to movies or eating out.  

I'm training for my third IM.  I've worked down the cost of my tri-bike (purchased used) and my road bike (purchased new) to about $0.12/mile.  My running shoes cost me about $0.10-0.12/mile.  

In spite of the glossy ads in the magazines, this sport doesn't have to be expensive.  

2014-07-11 5:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

Now I have a closet FULL of bike jerseys and tri tops I've worn once, a wetsuit I don't use, 2 pairs of everything.

What size are you? ; )

Triathlon can definitely be expensive, so I've tried to go cheap where I can and only spend a little at a time: cheap-o wetsuit and a few clothes for the first season, found a great used tri bike, Target C9 head to toe, no travel races, etc. I do spend money on shoes and recently a Garmin swim. I figure I can always upgrade bit by bit if I ever get any good. Ha!
2014-07-12 1:11 AM

User image

Expert
Montana

I got into this trap, too, when I first started. While I got a screaming deal on my bike ($500 brand new TT bike, you old timers will remember that deal a bunch of us jumped on!)

Still riding mine!

2014-07-12 1:11 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

Originally posted by WebFootFreakI'm sorry if this was TL:DR, but it's not just triathletes whose hobby is costly. However, there are ways to cut costs for anyone who wants to get out and do whatever.

Indeed. And triathletes aren't the only ones who will try to buy their way to better performance through fun toys. Know any amateur photographers? I spent a handsome sum getting ready for my first triathlon this year, but it pales in comparison to what I've spent on photography. My new bike still costs less than my best digital camera body. (Film cameras are excepted because vintage ) Faster lenses at all distances, bodies with the latest chips, software for managing and editing images, light, triggers (mmmm... Pocketwizards), stands, bags, etc... always something newer, better.

GAS (Gear Acquisiton Syndrome) plagues a good many hobbies. Except knitting. (Actually.... I take that back. I forgot I'm asking for a set of Signature stilettos for Christmas.)
2014-07-12 4:56 PM
in reply to: runbugjones

User image

Im lusking after a circular sock knitting machine that costs more than my bike and have a set of interchangeable needles sitting in my cart online... just waiting for a coupon code.
2014-07-12 5:37 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
First rule of triathlon is NEVER pay full price. (I feel like I need to insert a Fight Club reference here).

I had a goal of not spending any significant amount of money this year. However, after spending so much time changing my Powertap wheel between bikes I've opted for a change. I ended up buying a Quarq Riken (new) off ebay for $1000. They had it listed for $1200 but they accepted my offer. I did sell my PT wheel (laced to an Assault Rim) so that did absorb some of the cost. I was also able to sell a Red Crankset that my Quarq replaced on one bike. I timed myself changing cranks: Speed time = 90 seconds. Mozy time: 3 minutes. SO much better than a PT wheel. I did buy a cheep rear wheel to use on the trainer so now I'm not changing tires anymore. I HATE changing tires.

I also taco'd my mountain bike front wheel during the 4th weekend. Can't be fixed so I'm out $230 for a front wheel. I race so I needed a competitive one. Spending that money really sucked.

I am also switching over my computers. I have a 910xt but thinking of switching to a dedicated bike computer (Edge series), a running watch and maybe a swimming watch (still deciding on that). Selling my 910xt will also help absorb the cost but I'll still be out $$$.

So much for not spending this year.

Oh, I also bought a new Xterra wetsuit. Vector (I think, whatever is the mid-level one). During Christmas or Black Friday, they had 75% off, so I grabbed one. It was on backorder forever but no biggie since it was winter.
2014-07-13 10:08 AM

User image

OK for sure on the running jacket you can get much better deals. runningwearhouse.com often has some great deals. But also, if you want to go the cheapie route a long sleeve shirt with a couple singlets under or a fleece vest over work the same on all but the coldest days of the year in the upper Midwest.

Like others here I refuse to $pend on the clothes. I've been lucky enough to find brand new with tags lululemon gear at a thrift store, and most of the rest of my wardrobe consists of closeouts from running warehouse and Marshall's. C9 gear from Target is also decent. The one thing I'm willing to spend on being a female with a larger chest are good bras. That is the one case with clothes where it is worth paying the $60.

I was in the market for a new GPS watch, and I just couldn't swallow paying $400+ on a 910XT. On this board, someone had mentioned Clever Trainer had a sale on the Suunto Ambit 2 for $219 which has many of the same features, and I grabbed that too.

My bike I purchased at an end of season sale - Felt ZW75 I got for $900. The bike came with a free fitting, and I swapped out my saddle for the floor model with a nice discount. The only thing I paid full price on ended up being new handlebars, as the bike model were too narrow for my shoulders.

As everyone else said here and as you can see with my examples, if you have patience, a little bit of creativity and a willingness to look around a bit you should hardly ever pay full price on any tri related gear.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spending way too much money on triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How much money have you spent on triathlon? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Bevie
Views: 5694 Posts: 65

2012-10-03 3:43 AM TexasPsyclone

Spending money on our little hobby... Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 3053 Posts: 31

2008-12-12 8:35 AM JohnnyKay

How Much Money Have You Spent On Training? Pages: 1 2

Started by Shannon3
Views: 2078 Posts: 42

2007-04-28 10:57 AM Bill

Having a really hard time spending my bike fund money

Started by jase714
Views: 2049 Posts: 21

2007-03-05 9:48 AM davidb

Help me spend some money

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 931 Posts: 4

2005-03-21 11:24 AM jmf-tt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
So when it comes to triathlon, the largest investment we make, in both terms, comes in the bike. Looking at ways to get faster, while considering a budget, is a bind for most triathletes.