General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So Really...How much Does the Bike Matter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-05 12:28 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: So Really...How much Does the Bike Matter
I realize that this has probably been talked about, and debated ad nauseam, but I'm curious on the general consensus. I'm really strong in the swim and pretty decent in the run but the biking is new to me. I purchased a Vilano Forza 4.0 road bike that has snap on aero bars to use for now. It's aluminum and the absolute lowest end of the market. It's the cheapest one I saw out on the web. The last tri I did I could not get over how much nicer just about everyone's bike was than mine. I also had a pretty bad showing in the bike portion. I was top 10 in the swim and top 25 on the run but 56th in the bike (out of 100). I realize that a lot of that is likely from my inexperience in the saddle, but I can't help but search for Felts and Cannondales and all the other super aero carbon bikes online and just drool. So what kind of advantage do you really get going to the next level on a bike? Anyone out there have any experience going from an all-aluminum heavy road bike to a serious TT/Tri bike and see immediate gains? Another big thing is comfort...even with a professional fitting, I just can't seem to get comfortable on my bike. Is that improved as well? My rides are pretty flat (I live in the Keys) with the exception of a big bridge I make a point to go over every ride I can, but it can get really windy, especially on the parts of the road that are exposed to the ocean and over the bridges. Lately, I've been averaging about 18-19 MPH for longer rides (>40 miles) and about 20-21 MPH for shorter rides (20 and less miles). So does anyone have a gauge, or experience on going to a higher model and what that equated to in speed? I'm trying to decide if I want to make the leap now, or wait a little while.

2014-08-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: RE: So Really...How much Does the Bike Matter
You might get different ranges as answers, but you should realize an instant 1 - 1.5 mph avg. faster. The difference between my 2 bikes is about 1.5 to 2 mph... it all depends upon the initial position on your road bike, but your cda should improve by at least 22%, and any further improvement is all improving position on the tri bike. As far as differences between frames of tri bikes.... not much these days with the big names. I had an older style off name tri bike initially, and when I switched to a SHIV, I realized a gain in speed about .3 to .5 mph.

I recently switched from a lightweight Allez E5, weighed 14.8lbs, to a Secteur, weighs 20lbs, the bike is bulkier and a smigde more upright than the Allez and I lost 1 mph avg on the exact same power output... comparing the 2 bikes. My difference between the Allez and Shiv was around 2 mph, the difference between the Sectuer and the SHIV is 3 mph.

If you can swing it, I'd keep the road bike you have and try to afford a decent used tri bike, train primarily on the road bike with heavy wheels, squeeky drivetrain (joking) to make it as hard on yourself as possible... train on the tri to get comfortable with position and handling, work on flexibility and boom your races, you'll probably shoot up to the front MOP.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2014-08-05 12:47 PM
2014-08-05 12:43 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Let's assume we're talking about a well-fitting lower end bike vs. a well-fitting high end bike… Bike fit is by far the most important. Going from a road bike to a tri bike is all about gaining a better fit for the type of riding you do.

Higher end bikes usually gives you benefits such as lower weight (important when it gets hilly and technical), better components (quite significantly better shifting if you compare for example Sora to Dura Ace…), material (nothing wrong with aluminum, but one of the major benefits of CF is the ability to make the frame stiff where you need it and soft where you want it), aerodynamics, and probably the most important, much better wheels.

Will it make you faster? Maybe, but not by a large margin. The longer the distance, the greater the advantage. Where I find the biggest difference is interestingly not on the bike at all, but being much fresher for the run.
2014-08-05 12:44 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

it's a cliche, but it's true-- "It's all about the engine". There are absolutely gains to be made with a tri bike due to the better positioning, but for someone new the low-hanging fruit is working on the engine. I think it's solid advice to not pour a bunch of money into the sport until you're sure that you're into it for years to come.

My bigger concern is you comment about not being comfortable, even after a fitting. You mentioned that you bought online. Did the fitter say anything about the bike not being an ideal fit that he had to just work with? What kind of discomfort? Some discomfort will go away with conditioning, but if it's serious mention it to the fitter.

2014-08-05 12:45 PM
in reply to: #5035405

User image

Regular
Kansas
If your averaging those kinds of speeds on a low end bike I think you're doing fairly well. Being in the aero position trumps weight. Weight makes a difference but being aero is key. Also, YOU are the motor, time in the saddle is a must if you want to get faster. I have a Cervelo P1 ( bought used, upgrade from road bike off of bikesdirect.com). It's about 6 pounds lighter, but being aero has helped tremendously. I couldn't hold aero for 5 minutes before a bike fit. After bike fit, I can ride f/ hours. Look for a used tri bike in your price range, but do some research first. Lots of people do tris on road bikes too, you don't have to have a tri bike to be a triathlete. You just have to have the determination!
2014-08-05 12:46 PM
in reply to: #5035405

I average 1.5-2 mph faster on my tri bike. After the ride I don't feel as fatigued after riding my tri bike. This alone would be a plus for me.

2014-08-05 1:11 PM

User image

With regards to triathlon, the bike frame itself is a very small factor.  It's more about the position the bike can put you in, as you the rider, make up for around 90% of the overall aerodynamic drag that you will experience while on the bike.

If buying a more expensive bike puts you in a better position, you should be faster...maybe significantly faster.  But if buying a new bike does not change your position, you're probably splitting hairs, and any speed increase you might see, may not even be noticeable.  

More expensive bikes generally come stock with nice rolling tires...so that can play a pretty big role in how fast the bike actually rides, but it's not to say that the bike frame is actually that much faster.  More expensive bikes also come with better componentry, which will make the shifting a lot smoother, but in general won't give you very much, if any speed increases assuming you take care of your drive train.

2014-08-05 1:34 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Well this is definitely more complicated than I thought. It appears to be way more than just weight and aero. So speaking of fit, what specifically makes me uncomfortable is that I feel like I'm too far back when in aero position on my current road bike w/ snap on aero bars. I have the seat pushed as far forward as it will go, but I still feel like I'm too far back to get enough power. That is really the biggest grievance. I have noticed that in pictures, most of the pros seem to sit at the very tip of their seat, which kills me comfort-wise. I sit farther back on the seat so that my "sit-bones" are on the wide part of the seat so I need the seat moved forward more. The farther forward I can get, the better for comfort and speed. Does a tri-bike fit push you farther forward?

Also, I live in Key Largo and there is really only one bike shop on the island and they don't do tri-specific bikes, so I got the best fit I could without an hour and half drive into Miami (which I avoid if at all possible).
2014-08-05 1:44 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Yes, quite a bit more complicated.

The first thing you do when you fit someone to a bike (after the interview, the body measurements, core strength and flexibility measurements, etc. etc. etc. which is actually the majority of the time a bike fit takes), is setting the riders position in relationship to the bottom bracket. In other words, starting to move the seat back and forth to fit you to the aero bars is completely backwards, they should be fitted to you, not vice versa.

A tri bike will in general put you further forward, but it's also designed exactly for that. The weight distribution is quite different on a tri bike than it is on a road bike, hence the geometry is quite different.

The best investment you can possibly do is a proper bike fit. Start off with that and take the data you gain to start looking for a new bike, not look for a new bike then try to "shoe horn" you to it...
2014-08-05 2:38 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
So does it make more sense then to go to a shop that specializes in tri bikes to get fit prior to purchasing? I guess the big drawback would be the need to buy new and pay a premium to do so. Otherwise, how do you see which sizes of which brands of which models fit in different ways? Or do you go to a shop, spend a day trying out different bikes just to leave with the information in your head that a brand X bike felt good in a 56 and then look for a used one to buy? I guess it's a chicken vs egg type of scenario unless you have the money to just go in and buy whatever fits best new.
2014-08-05 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Originally posted by 3mar

So does it make more sense then to go to a shop that specializes in tri bikes to get fit prior to purchasing? I guess the big drawback would be the need to buy new and pay a premium to do so. Otherwise, how do you see which sizes of which brands of which models fit in different ways? Or do you go to a shop, spend a day trying out different bikes just to leave with the information in your head that a brand X bike felt good in a 56 and then look for a used one to buy? I guess it's a chicken vs egg type of scenario unless you have the money to just go in and buy whatever fits best new.

There is no reason why you can't go to a shop get fit and not buy a bike... if all you did was pay for the fit. If you get a fit quickie for a bike on display, you're still not obligated to buy anything, that's just your conscience talking nonsense.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2014-08-05 2:45 PM

2014-08-05 2:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by 3mar So does it make more sense then to go to a shop that specializes in tri bikes to get fit prior to purchasing? I guess the big drawback would be the need to buy new and pay a premium to do so. Otherwise, how do you see which sizes of which brands of which models fit in different ways? Or do you go to a shop, spend a day trying out different bikes just to leave with the information in your head that a brand X bike felt good in a 56 and then look for a used one to buy? I guess it's a chicken vs egg type of scenario unless you have the money to just go in and buy whatever fits best new.

Most of the best fitters available...don't even sell bikes.  They sell their service of fitting, and let you decide what bike you want to buy after that with no strings attached.

Granted, these types of fitters are not widely available in all areas.  You may very well need to use a fitter that does work for a bike shop, but again, that doesn't mean you need to buy a bike from them.  If they charge you for a fitting, that's all you should get.  Some bike shops do offset some or all of the fitting cost if you do end up buying a bike from them.  Main thing is to talk out your situation ahead of time so expectations are set.

2014-08-05 3:03 PM

, Wisconsin
Lots of good advice so far. Sound like you have a very good engine already based on your swim and run. However, biking is different and has a skilI set that has to be learned to reach potential. Position on the bike, pedal stroke, engaging the right muscles etc. all takes miles and miles of practice. So I would add "take it slow" regarding a new bike at this point. Unless you have money to burn, I would really do the research to find out what you want before buying anything. There is a ton of good info online regarding proper bike fit. competitive cyclist .com I believe has a fit calculator that you can input you numbers and get various fit options. One thing that I've recently been using that has helped me get a lot more comfortable on a bike are the core excercises and stretches found here: http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/core

The greatest bike racer in history was fond of saying " forget the upgrades, ride the grades". Since you don't have much in the way of grades, you'll want to do intervals on the flats for sure.
2014-08-05 4:22 PM

Honestly, if you went from your bike now to a top-end, perfectly fitted $15k ubertribike with aero everything, you'd maybe go from 56th/100 in the bike to MAYBE 40-45th/100. More realistically, like 45/50th. 

The gains from a faster bike are real, but they're still small, like 1-2 minutes per hour of racing, which in a typical Oly-distance race means saving 60-90 seconds on the bike split. If you're coming from a really suboptimal bike fit, you'll get more than that, but highly unlikely to get 4+ minutes/hr of racing unless you're coming from a mtn bike to tribike.

2014-08-05 5:19 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster

Honestly, if you went from your bike now to a top-end, perfectly fitted $15k ubertribike with aero everything, you'd maybe go from 56th/100 in the bike to MAYBE 40-45th/100. More realistically, like 45/50th. 

The gains from a faster bike are real, but they're still small, like 1-2 minutes per hour of racing, which in a typical Oly-distance race means saving 60-90 seconds on the bike split. If you're coming from a really suboptimal bike fit, you'll get more than that, but highly unlikely to get 4+ minutes/hr of racing unless you're coming from a mtn bike to tribike.

^^That

2014-08-05 5:35 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Master
Northern IL

More gains than that are not impossible, but do know that the money for performance goes up fast with bikes. A lot of the major bikes have frames a step or two off their flagship that can really keep a LOT of their performance (and some further down the line too). Think more "reasonably well" in performance as many bikes can within the last few years can do that quite well. Then the more important part would be how well it fits. You should get some more power out of it right away, and also since it should fit more comfortably you'll likely be able to push yourself both harder and more often, leading to more gains through better training sessions.

2014-08-05 5:35 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I ride the same bike (well, pretty much same frame) as Junior. I averaged something like 17.7mph on my last Oly and similar on a sprint this summer. I was mid 18mph on a 20 mile ride a week or so ago.

LB, what did Junior average at his last race?

Below this post you will find the answer. I can buy a tri bike (probably will) and gain that 1.5mph, but LB is about to post what the difference in engines makes. So, you can decide where you want your speed to come from. Me, my speed will come from both the bike AND the engine, but not everybody can waste a couple grand for 1.5 mph.

Edited by Danno77 2014-08-05 5:36 PM
2014-08-05 5:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by 3mar So does it make more sense then to go to a shop that specializes in tri bikes to get fit prior to purchasing? I guess the big drawback would be the need to buy new and pay a premium to do so. Otherwise, how do you see which sizes of which brands of which models fit in different ways? Or do you go to a shop, spend a day trying out different bikes just to leave with the information in your head that a brand X bike felt good in a 56 and then look for a used one to buy? I guess it's a chicken vs egg type of scenario unless you have the money to just go in and buy whatever fits best new.

Most of the best fitters available...don't even sell bikes.  They sell their service of fitting, and let you decide what bike you want to buy after that with no strings attached.

Granted, these types of fitters are not widely available in all areas.  You may very well need to use a fitter that does work for a bike shop, but again, that doesn't mean you need to buy a bike from them.  If they charge you for a fitting, that's all you should get.  Some bike shops do offset some or all of the fitting cost if you do end up buying a bike from them.  Main thing is to talk out your situation ahead of time so expectations are set.

What Jason said on the fitting. The more advanced fitting sessions available now aren't so much putting you so directly on a bike, but finding the position. What they use isn't really a bike, but a set of rails to put on pedals, a saddle and some handle bars. They should be able to give you a set of spacial coordinates that relates your various contact points. Meaning the saddle to the bottom bracket & pedals, and also to the elbow pads & bars. These are all your contact points with the bike. They find your position and from there can help with what bikes should fit well without having to go all wonky with stems and other parts. The various bike manufactures will have the dimensions of their frames & bikes and the fitter should have this information and know how to make it work with the various parts you can swap in. A shop that sells bikes will show how theirs fit. Not necessarily a bad things, just is. They should still be able to give you the coordinates. 

2014-08-05 5:49 PM
in reply to: Danno77

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Danno77 I ride the same bike (well, pretty much same frame) as Junior. I averaged something like 17.7mph on my last Oly and similar on a sprint this summer. I was mid 18mph on a 20 mile ride a week or so ago. LB, what did Junior average at his last race? Below this post you will find the answer. I can buy a tri bike (probably will) and gain that 1.5mph, but LB is about to post what the difference in engines makes. So, you can decide where you want your speed to come from. Me, my speed will come from both the bike AND the engine, but not everybody can waste a couple grand for 1.5 mph.

This year I've been in the top 3 for bike splits on a straight-up roadie. Did use race wheels, but no clip-ons. Kept the torso fairly low and the rest is in a good position to produce lots of power. Frame is terribly un-aero too as the down tube nearly hides a standard water bottle.

2014-08-05 5:53 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Danno77 I ride the same bike (well, pretty much same frame) as Junior. I averaged something like 17.7mph on my last Oly and similar on a sprint this summer. I was mid 18mph on a 20 mile ride a week or so ago. LB, what did Junior average at his last race? Below this post you will find the answer. I can buy a tri bike (probably will) and gain that 1.5mph, but LB is about to post what the difference in engines makes. So, you can decide where you want your speed to come from. Me, my speed will come from both the bike AND the engine, but not everybody can waste a couple grand for 1.5 mph.

Depending on the course and the race he usually averages 25-26.5 on his road bike over sprint distance.  He went from a 58 bike, that only margionally fit him, to a 61 in the Madone that fits him much better and probably gained about .5 - 1 mph (about a $3000 upgrade)....but it's a MUCH better fit.(still tweaking it)  In keeping with the discussion, he can do a sprint distance time trial on his 2010 P2 in 27-28.5, again, depending on course, wind, etc. (mph is not the greatest metric) His fit on that bike is REALLY good.

Here's the elephant in the room.......

GETTING FASTER ON A BIKE IS REALLY HARD WORK! 

You can buy all the speed you think you can afford, but if you don't spend at least some part of every ride on the bike feeling like you are ready to puke, you have left some gains on the table.  It's a bike.....you are not pounding your body.....ride it like you stole it!

As much as I despise the stupid triathlon sayings, it really is all about the engine.  (and your fit on the bike)

Edited by Left Brain 2014-08-05 6:03 PM
2014-08-05 6:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

What Jason said on the fitting. The more advanced fitting sessions available now aren't so much putting you so directly on a bike, but finding the position. What they use isn't really a bike, but a set of rails to put on pedals, a saddle and some handle bars. They should be able to give you a set of spacial coordinates that relates your various contact points. Meaning the saddle to the bottom bracket & pedals, and also to the elbow pads & bars. These are all your contact points with the bike. They find your position and from there can help with what bikes should fit well without having to go all wonky with stems and other parts. The various bike manufactures will have the dimensions of their frames & bikes and the fitter should have this information and know how to make it work with the various parts you can swap in. A shop that sells bikes will show how theirs fit. Not necessarily a bad things, just is. They should still be able to give you the coordinates. 

There are not many that do it, but the fitters who can generate enough business are using something like this.  The fitter still needs to be qualified in how to use it, but assuming they do, it makes their job and the experience with the customer much better during the fit session.  No need to swap parts, loosen bolts, and tighten them again.  There are just a bunch of knobs to turn that can instantly adjust the fit coordinates and spit back out a measurement down to the millimeter.  These tools also generally have a built in power meter of some sort so the fitter and customer can see how their power output changes given various positions.  These changes can often be made on the fly, while the customer is still pedaling.

Edited by Jason N 2014-08-05 6:17 PM

(Retul_Muve.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Retul_Muve.jpg (31KB - 5 downloads)

2014-08-05 6:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Your math is a little off... if someone averages 20mph over a 56mile HIM split, thats 2hr 48min... if the bike gains 1.5mph to 21.5mph, thats a 2:36, a 12 min improvement... even the distance of an Oly, that would be 5min and 20sec faster... to me that's not insignificant.

Heck, when the conversation turns to shaving legs, that the average savings among 8 cyclists tested was 70 seconds (as low as 65 and as high as 85) over a 40k distance, an Oly... that computes to 2.6 minutes saved... that again is not insignificant... think of the IM distance... 5 minutes!!!

An example of the difference, personally I do tests between the road and tri bike, these are my findings at least... on a 4.3 mile loop, I do about a 10 min even split at threshold currently, on the last time I balled on the road bike staying on the top of the bars, it was around a 10:25, that's around 1.5mph difference... all aero and position... same effort.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2014-08-05 6:49 PM
2014-08-05 6:49 PM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Originally posted by tomspharmacy

Your math is a little off... if someone averages 20mph over a 56mile HIM split, thats 2hr 48min... if the bike gains 1.5mph to 21.5mph, thats a 2:36, a 12 min improvement... even the distance of an Oly, that would be 5min and 20sec faster... to me that's not insignificant.

Your math is correct only if you assume a 1.5 mph gain.  Possible if the OP's position now is pretty bad, and then going to an ideal position, but still an assumption that I don't think yazmaster was making.  So you can't really fault math.  

2014-08-05 7:02 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Originally posted by tomspharmacy

Your math is correct only if you assume a 1.5 mph gain.  Possible if the OP's position now is pretty bad, and then going to an ideal position, but still an assumption that I don't think yazmaster was making.  So you can't really fault math.  

I understand it's cool, just trying to make a point that there are real world gains to be had, imho... although the latest uberbike isn't a requirement. Any further gains in speed is the engine, equipment is marginal then.

The OP asked... he sounds like he's got a good engine to start and wants to be competitive... I'd say do what your wallet, ego and family will allow. Live once. I say that at his fitness level, the bike alone will propel him from front BOP to middle to upper FOP instantly on his fitness... to me that's all the info I'd need.

For me, I don't mind studying the latest info on the boards or internet to scour any possible morsel of info to gain just 1/10 of 1 mph or more. It's whether I understand what I'm reading that's another thing.

2014-08-05 7:17 PM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

It's extraordinarily unlike you will gain 5 minutes off a Oly time with aero gear alone. 5 minutes on a 1hr-1:15hr race is almost a whole different category of bike ability. 

The figure of 1-2 minutes gained is already fairly optimistic for most real world conditions. The fast guys are not going fast just because they have the best stuff  they'll be killing the field even on a 1970s round tube bike even with suboptimal fit. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So Really...How much Does the Bike Matter Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How much does your bike really matter? Pages: 1 2

Started by ifoundit921
Views: 4773 Posts: 42

2011-07-26 8:17 PM lvis

Does fit really matter on the (road) bike? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by There is no Tri
Views: 5005 Posts: 51

2010-11-03 7:54 PM There is no Tri

Does stiffness really matter on the bike? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by AndrewMT
Views: 4515 Posts: 61

2010-10-31 1:02 PM sand101

Does Cadence Really Matter?

Started by Silver_wlf
Views: 2258 Posts: 19

2009-07-24 4:20 PM breckview

Double or triple crankset - does it really matter?

Started by green
Views: 1918 Posts: 7

2004-02-20 9:35 AM green
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"