General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running (and stopping) with dog Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-15 8:42 AM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Subject: Running (and stopping) with dog
We adopted our dog about two years ago (foxhound mix), and at the time did a fair amount of running with him. For a variety of reasons that fell by the wayside, and I'm trying to get back into it now. Boy had I forgotten how often he stopped to sniff and pee.

I'm trying to think of these runs as fartleks, and just roll with it, but it can get pretty jarring after a while. For those who run with their dogs, are there any tips for training a dog to run without all the stops, or am I kidding myself? Going off-leash isn't an option, we live in a pretty urban area with lots of cars.

2014-08-15 9:51 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Haymarket, VA
Subject: RE: Running (and stopping) with dog

I run with anywhere from 1 - 4 huskies, and the best advice I can give you is to get them into a routine.  Mine are starting to understand when their harnesses and lines come out that this isn't a time for stopping and contemplating, it's time to run.  I make sure that they have a good out where they do their business beforehand, and try to keep a decent pace so they don't get distracted.  Whenever they start to slow down I give them a lil vocal encouragement.  It's taken a while to get to this point, and they're by no means trained to not stop, but it's getting better and better each time.

2014-08-15 9:55 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

that is a great picture
2014-08-15 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens We adopted our dog about two years ago (foxhound mix), and at the time did a fair amount of running with him. For a variety of reasons that fell by the wayside, and I'm trying to get back into it now. Boy had I forgotten how often he stopped to sniff and pee. I'm trying to think of these runs as fartleks, and just roll with it, but it can get pretty jarring after a while. For those who run with their dogs, are there any tips for training a dog to run without all the stops, or am I kidding myself? Going off-leash isn't an option, we live in a pretty urban area with lots of cars.
Our dog is coming up on being 2 years old and knows what "go for a run" means!  About 30-15min before we run in the morning we take him outside and say "go poopies" and he goes out and does his business!  In the evening its "go pee-pee".

He gets run at least once a day between my wife and I 4-5x per week.  He also gets walked once a day and this gives him his sniff & pee satisifaction. For example if I run him in the AM she walks him in the PM.  If I walk in the AM she runs him in the PM.

2014-08-15 10:23 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I would think the "vocal encouragement" mentioned above would yield some good results - of course with the consistency of any training you might do. 

2014-08-15 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I run with our 6 year old GSH/Lab mix. In the morning I let her out which is usually sufficient. I occasionally need to use a doggy bag on the run . She doesn't stop to sniff though. I think back when she was learning I would give a light tug on her chain and say "leave it" if she started to stop for something. I do that occasionally now if she seems distracted by a dog/squirrel/rabbit but she's pretty focused on the run from the time she sees me get my running clothes on.

2014-08-15 10:38 AM

User image

Exton, PA
The first mile is his, we stop when he wants to. After that he is on my time and must run with me, sometimes I have to drag him away from a sniff spot but then he gets the idea he needs to keep moving. After that first mile we still stop every 1 1/2 - 2 miles, because well is a dog.
2014-08-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Denver, CO

I tried running with my border collie clipped on to a waist belt.  We only went a few times because I couldn't keep up; he dramatically increased my pace by pulling me the whole way!  Now we go to a fenced area with soccer fields at night (to avoid Animal Control) and I run laps while kicking a ball for him to chase.  It gets a little boring because it only takes about 5 minutes to go around once but it works okay for short runs.  Plus it wears him out.  Tired dogs are good dogs in my house!!

2014-08-15 11:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Prong collar, and a leash clipped around your waist.

If your dog does anything other than run next to you he will "pop" himself with the prongs and learn quickly not to do that.

My Dutch Shepherd runs with me all the time. Its her favorite thing to do in the world. I let her sniff around when I am getting ready to run (syncing garmin, etc) but once the run starts she just stays by my side. Ignores all other dogs around her even if they come after her, etc.

Edited by noofus 2014-08-15 11:16 AM
2014-08-15 11:14 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by mike761 The first mile is his, we stop when he wants to. After that he is on my time and must run with me, sometimes I have to drag him away from a sniff spot but then he gets the idea he needs to keep moving. After that first mile we still stop every 1 1/2 - 2 miles, because well is a dog.

this is what i've dealt with - the first mile i treat as a warm up.  once we are moving, we are moving though.  training helps - my dogs respond to "leave it" pretty well when they start to get distracted.

2014-08-15 11:22 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

All just a matter of training. The dog needs to know what is expected of him/her and they need to be disciplined to meet those expectations every time. At first you have to correct every little thing to get them to focus, eventually they get a routine going and you can let the little mishaps go. 

I am fortunate that my dog is able to run off leash most of the time. She runs directly on my left as she is trained to do (as if a leash is attached) until I tell her to "go ahead" and then she knows she can run back and forth and stay with me at her leisure. In the rare occurrence that a car comes by all it takes is a snap of my fingers and she is right back to my left side so I can get between her and the oncoming car. 

When we run with the leash on she knows there is no playing around time, she stays directly to my left with a slack leash.

Dogs don't need to stop, sniff and pee all the time, they just like to. If your dog is aware that it is not play time but run time they will stay with you and focus on the run. Takes a bit of work to get them there but once you have put the work in both you and the dog will enjoy the run much more. 

2014-08-15 11:27 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Forgot to mention. I highly recommend one of these collars to use while walking or running.

Get a big enough version that there is a decent amount of slack in the collar. A quick tug on the leash is enough to correct the behavior or let the dog know it is not stopping time. We use this anytime we need to use a leash with our dog. It gives her a little bit of space to play with as it tightens so she can wander back and forth a bit without pulling on the leash. And a quick tug is all I need to get her back if she does stray. The sound of it tightening is enough for her to know she has strayed to far and needs to come back to me. Haven't ever used it to "choke" her, just gives a good audible correction when needed. 

2014-08-15 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I prefer one of these, with the leash attached to BOTH rings:

This will never choke the dog. The prongs are not sharp. It will, however, give them strong negative feedback for undesired behavior. Once trained, they rarely need correction, but they know that if the collar is on, they MUST do as told.

2014-08-15 11:40 AM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
As others have mentioned, give the dog some time of his own time to sniff and pee and be consistent that running time is running time. I had good success on our lab/mutt with a collar called the Gentle Leader, basically allows you to pull his muzzle instead of his neck and quickly put an end to sniffing, where the muzzle goes the dog follows. It didn't work as well with our small headed dog as it slipped off her head instead of directing her muzzle.

http://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader

Another useful tool is a 16' retractable leash with a good convenient brake, run with the leash short, thumb on the lock, and the dog in heal, when he stops for a sniff you can release the thumb lock a bit and give him a series of nudges for 12+ feet of leash before you hit the end and both get jarred.
2014-08-15 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Yep, we call runs with my pit mix "sniff and sprints" because she goes from 0 to 60 and back again. My lab mix is better but she does need a mile or so to get all the sniffs, pees and poops out of her. Maybe the strategy mentioned upthread is the way to go -- let your pup goof around for a little while, and then give a signal that it is now running time.
2014-08-15 11:42 AM

New user
I hope you're wearing a gopro when they decide to really run. That video will be awesome.

2014-08-15 11:44 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Also, I have tried many, MANY collar options between my two dogs, so don't be afraid to experiment with the right collar. My lab mix walks/runs best with a front harness (I think it's called a Gentle Leader Easy Walk or something similar) which tightens around her front legs if she pulls. I also have a six-foot bungee lead that I will use on a run with her so if she stops short, the lead has a bit of give before jarring either of us.
2014-08-15 11:47 AM
in reply to: mikec123

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mikec123 As others have mentioned, give the dog some time of his own time to sniff and pee and be consistent that running time is running time. I had good success on our lab/mutt with a collar called the Gentle Leader, basically allows you to pull his muzzle instead of his neck and quickly put an end to sniffing, where the muzzle goes the dog follows. It didn't work as well with our small headed dog as it slipped off her head instead of directing her muzzle. http://www.petsafe.net/gentleleaderAnother useful tool is a 16' retractable leash with a good convenient brake, run with the leash short, thumb on the lock, and the dog in heal, when he stops for a sniff you can release the thumb lock a bit and give him a series of nudges for 12+ feet of leash before you hit the end and both get jarred.

I use the Gentle Leader on my dog as well.

2014-08-15 11:50 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

i started out with a prong collar on my german shepherd when he was young - now he just has a regular collar - but he loves running; i just use leave it if he decides he wants to stop and sniff

he loves running though - he even recognizes the shoes I wear for my longer runs (Brooks) compared to my short run shoes (Saucony) - and goes ape- when the lease/and his reflective runnign jacket comes out
2014-08-15 12:58 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Haymarket, VA

I definitely suggest a mushers/canicross belt for when you run with your dog(s).  It gives you a much more stable base if the dog goes "squirrel" on you.  

2014-08-15 1:11 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mleech77

I definitely suggest a mushers/canicross belt for when you run with your dog(s).  It gives you a much more stable base if the dog goes "squirrel" on you.  

This looks really interesting but isn't there significant potential for chafing if you're wearing shorts?

2014-08-15 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

1. Find a competent trainer

2. Obedience work

3. Run with dog

4. ???

5. Profit

2014-08-15 1:20 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by laffinrock

This looks really interesting but isn't there significant potential for chafing if you're wearing shorts?

Typically only the skijoring belts have the leg loops that could cause some serious chafing.  The musher's/canicross belt are normally just a nice padded belt with a loop to hook the lines/leashes up to.

I wear mine all the time when going for runs with one or more of my pack and haven't ever had any chafing issues.

2014-08-15 1:24 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mleech77

Originally posted by laffinrock

Typically only the skijoring belts have the leg loops that could cause some serious chafing.  The musher's/canicross belt are normally just a nice padded belt with a loop to hook the lines/leashes up to.

I wear mine all the time when going for runs with one or more of my pack and haven't ever had any chafing issues.

Thanks.  This is what I found when I googled it.  It looks great for control but uncomfortable unless wearing sweats or something.

canicross mushers belt

2014-08-15 1:38 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Ah, yeah that would definitely be uncomfortable for jogging.

These are the two sites that I use for most of my canicross/bikejoring stuff, and the their belt option.  I actually have both of these belts, it just depends on whether I'm going for a walk with the dogs at my wife's pace, or if I'm going for a run with the dogs at my own pace.  

White Pine Outfitters - Walk-A-Belt

Alpine Outfitters - Musher's Belt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running (and stopping) with dog Rss Feed  

of 2