General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone regret buying a TT/tri bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-15 10:17 PM

Subject: Anyone regret buying a TT/tri bike?
So here's my dilemma. I just finished my first HIM a few weeks ago (Racine) and I am for sure committed to this sport. Prior to the race, I said that I would buy a TT/tri bike based on my race experience. I rode my 2008 cannondale caad9 with short aerobars and it worked fine. I absolutely love my bike. Why do I need a tri bike besides shaving off a few minutes and having a new toy? I am totally lusting after the new cervelo P2 or the upcoming felt B2 with Di2 shifting. I plan on doing a full Ironman (Madison) next year, which I heard it might be better to ride on a road bike.
Any diehard triathletes here perfectly happy with their road bike or prefer their road bike?

2014-08-15 11:52 PM
in reply to: hubcaps

User image

Canyon, Texas
Subject: RE: Anyone regret buying a TT/tri bike?
I've never ridden a tri bike but I'm happy with my roadie. Instead of buying a mid-to-lower level tri bike, I spent the same amount pimping out my road bike. I just feel like I'm wasting money if I'm out riding and still have a few thousand dollars sitting at home... you can only ride one bike at a time, why not make it a great one instead of having two decent bikes? Others will disagree, just my thoughts on it.
2014-08-16 4:55 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I love my tri bike..... and my road bike, and my cx bike.  The hybrid, not so much.

2014-08-16 5:31 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I love my road bike, but I also love my tri bike. They are two very different "animals". The Tri bike is really fast in a straight line and on flat to rolling terrain. If I ride in a group, do a ride with some climbs or ride more technical terrain, then the road bike is faster.
2014-08-16 5:32 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Kinda wondering this myself. Looking to replace my old roadie (Trek 1.2) as my racing machine (it's always been a little small for me, shifting has gone downhill over the years) and really thinking maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get a tri bike, maybe still keep the Trek for road rides here in Vietnam (and sell when I leave), ride the tri bike mostly on the trainer and take it by taxi a few times before racing to and from somewhere safer to ride it just to make sure I know how to handle it. Wondering what the difference in speed/feeling on the run and the difference in handling would be for a tri bike vs. a nicer road bike. I currently train/race on a roadie with aerobars (1.2 in Vietnam, 1.5 in US), have never ridden a tri bike.
2014-08-16 6:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I love my bikes, especially my tri bike with DI2

The only way I could see myself regretting it is

a) I had to make sacrifices that impacted others so I could afford it
b) time really didn't matter. But while many people say this, they do want that extra 10, 20, 30minutes. If a person finishes in 14h09, I am sure he would gladly take 10minutes
c) I did not ride the tri bike enough. If training conditions made it more difficult to tri bike I would feel I was not getting the full value out of it.

The one thing that amazes me, is I sit in traffic sometimes, I look around and I see the money people put into cars. Sunroofs are more expensive than wheels. Leather seats are more expensive than DI2....People drive cars that depreciate more in a year than the cost of a P3. Nobody questions that, yet we question something we lust over and that will motivate us to stay in shape. I will take DI2 over leather seats any day !!

PS, the guy that said a road bike was better for your IM was wrong :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-08-16 6:04 AM

2014-08-16 7:48 AM
in reply to: #5040039

naperville, Illinois
i did my first IM on my road bike, without any aero bars on it - arizona which is pretty flat and i was fine on my roadie (i did racine on it too!) i sold it to afford my tri bike three years ago as i went along with the crowd telling me i needed a tri bike. i have regretted it every day since. tri bike is nice to ride on the flats, but i have never loved it like my road bike, it doesnt handle as well as the road bike, it is less versatile than my road bike, and i just really loved that road bike. i say keep the road bike. you will never regret it, and beside, you put some aero bars on so love plus the semi aero make it far better.
2014-08-16 8:31 AM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Raansnel

i did my first IM on my road bike, without any aero bars on it - arizona which is pretty flat and i was fine on my roadie (i did racine on it too!) i sold it to afford my tri bike three years ago as i went along with the crowd telling me i needed a tri bike. i have regretted it every day since. tri bike is nice to ride on the flats, but i have never loved it like my road bike, it doesnt handle as well as the road bike, it is less versatile than my road bike, and i just really loved that road bike. i say keep the road bike. you will never regret it, and beside, you put some aero bars on so love plus the semi aero make it far better.

You bring up a very good point. If I had to sell my road bike to buy a tri bike I am pretty sure I would regret that.
I answered on the assumption of having more than 1 bike.

2014-08-16 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
The first three years I did triathlon using a road bike (entry level aluminum frame Specialized Secteur). I added aerobars and used a forward seat post (along with professional fitting). I love this bike and if I could only have one, this is the one I would keep. A little over a year ago, I bought a tri bike (Blue Triad SP) and I absolutely love it for racing. I still tend to ride my road bike about 60% of the time, especially early in the season, but I will switch to using the tri bike exclusively as I get into race training. I have no regrets owning these two bikes as I really like the versatility. Next summer I'm doing IM Boulder and I plan on being on my tri bike almost exclusively between now and then so I can get used to much longer rides. That said, it will be nice to know that I'll have my trusty road bike waiting for me again. IMO, there isn't really a right or wrong answer to this question.
2014-08-16 1:56 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Veteran
New York, NY
After my first race, wanted one. I have both. I use my road more, but never regret.
2014-08-16 2:40 PM
in reply to: gohmdoree

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Nope. Love my Tri bike.

2014-08-16 2:48 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Love my Tri-Bike a good fitting from a reputable master fitter is advisable. I had a budget once for a Di2 i decided its more helpful in my training to buy a powermeter. I will never regret my decision.Real car drivers can drive with a stick and clutch

Good luck!!
2014-08-16 3:25 PM

User image

I posed the same exact question here a few years ago. I started in triathlon 8 years ago and at that time I bought a decent road bike to use in the sport (Giant TCR C3). I used that bike for 7 years, usually doing 1-2 olympics a year. I had no issues. 2 years ago I signed up for my first IM and decided that I would *NEED* a tri bike for the race so immediately after signing up I went to my local, trusted bike shop, cash in hand and got a Felt B16 (of course professional fit). When I started training on it I really didn't like it and couldn't get used to it. Basically I just didn't enjoy it. 10 mile rides were a big challenge. I persevered, eventually getting used to it and it was great through training and at IMAZ. To be honest, since that was my goal race I probably would have bought anything if I thought it would help me on that one day. I have absolutely no regrets buying it because my day in AZ went well and that was the main goal but I still look back and question whether I really *NEEDED* it. I still have it, I still ride it and I do believe I am 1-2 mph faster on it but if it is still not as comfortable and I feel less safe on it. I had to pick one bike to go for a Sunday ride on it would be the road bike.

Important things to take into consideration when you read the above info is that I am about 80% into the sport for fun and the challenge of the race and 20% for the competitiveness of it. Also, here in northern NJ there are not a lot of long uninterrupted lengths of road so that is an important factor also. If you are competitive about place in the race then the Tri bike will help make you faster. If you have a great road bike and are unsure of your future in the sport then maybe think carefully. On the flip side, if you plan on a future racing and you have the $ now you may as well just buy it sooner rather than later and get the extra years use out of it.
2014-08-16 6:44 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by strykergt Love my Tri-Bike a good fitting from a reputable master fitter is advisable. I had a budget once for a Di2 i decided its more helpful in my training to buy a powermeter. I will never regret my decision.Real car drivers can drive with a stick and clutch Good luck!!

I agree with power meter before Di2.

I did my first Ironman in 2006 on a road bike (2003 Trek 5200), and rewarded myself with a 2007 P3C for my second Ironman.

I love having both bikes. Most of my "real" training is done on my tri bike. I commute to work on my road bike more than the tri bike though. And I used by road bike when I riding with my teenage daughter to train for the 2012 and 2013 Seattle to Portland rides. I've done a number of training rides with my tri team on my tri bike, and I've done a number of large group rides like 7 Hills of Kirkland ride on my road bike.Every time I get on my road bike when I've been mostly riding the tri bike I think "man I've missed riding this bike!" and the same thing happens when I get on my tri bike after only riding the road bike for a while.

A tri bike is the right tool for the job of training and racing for non-draft-legal triathlons, so if you want to maximize your results use the right tool. It's the right tool because it's optimized to let you ride in aero position. A road bike is a more general purpose tool. 

Jordan Rapp recently reposted an article worth reading: http://blog.rappstar.com/2014/04/why-triathletes-need-road-bike.html

2014-08-16 9:49 PM
in reply to: #5040082

User image

I own one bike - a tri bike - and don't regret it one bit...I feel more comfortable in the aero position than on the hoods or drops of a road bike. Of course, I'm definitely an exception as I got into triathlon as a casual rider of a big box store hybrid. I had no interest whatsoever in road cycling, and still don't.
2014-08-16 11:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wait, people have road bikes? Honestly, would you regret having to ride this everyday? I may buy a road bike at some point, but only for group rides or really hilly rides.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Edited by PeteDin206 2014-08-16 11:25 PM

2014-08-17 8:40 AM

User image

A little bit but I just got it. Bought a road bike first (even though I really wanted a TT ) and over the years really started to enjoy riding it. Decided last year to get a tri bike also. I just got a NP2 and am working on getting unsed to it. I still prefer my road bike but I also have messed with it soo much over the last few years it's just really comfy to ride. I stashed away money for it, got a great deal, and pretty much haven't done anything other then tri s over the last 5 years so I "justified" it that way. Still fel a little guilty but that will go away.! I ride almost the same road bike, I think mine is a '09 so I can relate to how much you like it.
2014-08-17 8:51 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

While I know that a triathlon bike would be better for triathlon, I won't be buying one any time soon. I have only one bike and like you, I love my bike. I use it for everything (it's a cross bike). I can't see making the investment into multiple bikes, and I don't want a bike that I will only use for training and races.
2014-08-17 10:23 AM
in reply to: #5040039

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
No, I started out on a mtb went to a RB with aerobars to a felt TB S22. Have bought and sold several RB since and just updated my TB to a new felt B12. I race, group ride and trainer ride it. Its all I need
2014-08-17 8:20 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Originally posted by brucemorganI agree with power meter before

For better training, I definitely see the benefit. For someone with gimpy carpal tunnel wrists that hurt after too much shifting or a long workday(at the computer), electronic shifting is amazing.

A power meter is definitely on the wish list however.

Though TT/Tri bikes with bar end shifters are whole lot more livable than Shimano or Sram brifters. Campy is great though. For me.
2014-08-17 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I think it depends on a few things,
1. how many tri's do you plan on doing per year ?
2. what's your performance goals?
3. money available to burn on another bike

For me, I really enjoy training and racing on my tri bike. if it got stolen, or destroyed I'd get another.
Although I look forward to riding my roadie in off season, / up till about 2 months prior to my race.

The multiple positions are more comfortable for the long hauls and the geometry is better than a roadie if you have tt bar clip-ons IMO.
Performance gains can vary greatly, but with an aero helmet in aero position, it's hard to beat over a roadie...

my tri bike is used, and I've ridden it for nearly 5 years now...lots of races on it.

2014-08-17 9:23 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Nope, love my Tri bike. Bought it used a few years ago and still love it.
2014-08-17 10:18 PM
in reply to: Donto

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I love this forum. I'm leaning more towards getting a tri bike. My boss, a triathlete, also told me that I have to treat myself after my HIM by getting a new bike. I already have plans for a power meter, but I was unsure of which one to get (leaning towards new set of wheels with powertap so I can switch between bikes).
2014-08-18 5:41 AM

New user
Key West
I got a tri bike because I needed to shave time off my HIM cycle portion of the race. I was afraid I wasn't going to make the cut off (not a strong cyclist), plus I was SO uncomfortable on my road bile for long distances. I was so glad I bought the tri bike. I was very comfortable in the tri position, had a well fitted bike, and definitely lowered by time on the course. That said, I may never do another HIM, just not my interest anymore, so not sure it was money well spent, since I could definitely just use a road bike for a Sprint or Oly. But, I do use it for those. I rarely use my road bile anymore on the road, it's on my indoor trainer.
2014-08-18 8:00 AM
in reply to: jsully

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by jsully

Originally posted by brucemorganI agree with power meter before

For better training, I definitely see the benefit. For someone with gimpy carpal tunnel wrists that hurt after too much shifting or a long workday(at the computer), electronic shifting is amazing.

A power meter is definitely on the wish list however.

Though TT/Tri bikes with bar end shifters are whole lot more livable than Shimano or Sram brifters. Campy is great though. For me.

If shifting hurts how can you possibly squeeze the brakes! Does not sound safe.

Shifters adjusted properly are almost effortless, I use my pinky finger to shift at times.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone regret buying a TT/tri bike? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Anyone ever regret buying a triathlon bike? Pages: 1 2

Started by KebaNYC
Views: 5028 Posts: 32

2012-09-26 12:33 PM Artemis

Looking into buying my first TT bike (advice needed)

Started by danny_boy
Views: 1722 Posts: 24

2010-03-11 10:22 AM bryancd

Has Anyone Regretted Getting a BT Membership? Pages: 1 2

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 5852 Posts: 45

2010-04-19 1:08 PM DanielG

Anyone regret spending TOO much on your bike?

Started by agarose2000
Views: 2690 Posts: 22

2008-11-05 10:46 AM vonschnapps

Tri bike vs. TT bike

Started by omaha8
Views: 2026 Posts: 4

2008-07-14 3:13 PM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 12, 2009
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.