General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Never enough Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-02 5:27 PM

User image

Subject: Never enough
I notice that, as I progress with my SBR, collecting the miles and the time in the saddle, what used to be challenging is now commonplace, and what used to be unthinkable is now something I can envision. When I began 2.5 years ago, the idea of Ironman and Half-Ironman distance seemed almost ludicrous. I thought it was something only the very young, very fit, or very crazy would even think to attempt. As I have progressed through morning runs where I felt like I was moving through a haze of thick pea soup humidity, evenings where I biked through swarms of mosquitos slapping against my face, and afternoon runs in the fall that I wished would go on forever; my stamina increased and my idea of what constituted a long run or bike ride changed.

This morning before work I did an 8 mile run. Last week I rode my bike 47 miles on a mild afternoon weekday. Both workouts left me feeling somewhat spent, but within a few hours, my body had recovered and I felt like I could go again. In fact, today as I was driving home for work I thought idly about what kind of workout I would do later this evening. Then I remembered, "Duh! I already ran 8 miles."

This doesn't sound like much for those training for the longer races, I know. But it really resonated in a way it hasn't for me before that this is probably the path that others were set on when they began SBR too. And it made me feel strange. One thing is that I am afraid that satisfaction is a fleeting feeling, that I always will hunger for more and more and more, and that ultimately it will end with debilitation and injury. And I don't want my time and attention to be sucked into an endless cycle of training and races. But I can finally see how that is possible.

Anyone else have this experience?

Edited by Caroleena 2014-09-02 5:28 PM

2014-09-02 6:12 PM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Never enough

"One thing is that I am afraid that satisfaction is a fleeting feeling, that I always will hunger for more and more and more, and that ultimately it will end with debilitation and injury. And I don't want my time and attention to be sucked into an endless cycle of training and races."

When you start looking at improving in three disciplines it ultimately takes more and more time out of your life to keep satisfiying that hunger to go faster, further, etc.  You do have to keep it in perspective and remember that no one is making you do it.  Therefore it should be a fun and enjoyable activity to the extent possible.

For me, I love the cycle of training and I love to race.  It is the highlight of my day and I've been fortunate enough that my wife and children have gotten excited and enjoy parts of the sport.  I love to go for a run with my daughter or a ride with my son or do a running race with my wife.  We've done relays together and those have been some of the best days of my life.

I think that the endless cycle of training can be made new and exciting by branching out to other peripheral activities.  Last year I got into trail running.  This Fall I'm starting to mountain bike and learn to race cyclocross.  The fitness you gain from the main three activities can serve as a springboard to other things that you can do seasonally.

Satisfaction is a fleeting thing but here are many, many ways to keep it from being a life sucking activity.

2014-09-02 6:35 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Originally posted by popsracer

Satisfaction is a fleeting thing but here are many, many ways to keep it from being a life sucking activity.

I'll have to make it a priority to keep this thought in mind!
2014-09-02 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If it helps, I've been at it one way or another for 35 years now and I still feel a sense of satisfaction most of the time. it's not all about racing and times (in fact, it doesn't have to be at all) or who's done a marathon or has an M dot tatoo. Personally I find all that kind of amusing. I'm not a status conscious person in the rest of my life and not as an athlete, either. Sometimes I'm motivated by the challenge of doing a longer distance or a faster time, sometimes just want to keep in shape and enjoy myself. I'm pretty sure my fastest days are behind me at age 45 but a long run completed is still a long run, and the pleasant fatigue after a swim workout doesn't change. I think you have to learn to love the training and the experience of the races themselves, not just be in it for results. For me it's one of the times when I feel most alive, even if I'm hurting at the moment. Ordinary life is often lacking in physical challenge, and full of people just BS-ing their way through. You can't say that about endurance sports! I guess what's kept me at it is that no matter what the mess I've made of the rest my day....er...at times, perhaps the rest of my life....I can still look back most days and feel like I've done something positive.
2014-09-02 9:31 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Good advice on here and I'll certainly keep it in mind; especially since I'm in the "honeymoon phase" of my triathlon career hehe
2014-09-03 10:19 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

I personally find this post to be very timely. I finished my 2nd ever Oly a week ago (1st being last summer). For me and my times, I feel that I totally killed it and am still feeling great about it. However... I'm already looking at how I can improve upon my improvements and what it will take to get to "the next level". So far I'm OK with that, but I found myself wondering if there will ever be a time when the pleasure/satisfaction I feel after that race will ever be enough.

2014-09-03 10:29 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Veteran
Originally posted by Hot Runner

If it helps, I've been at it one way or another for 35 years now and I still feel a sense of satisfaction most of the time. it's not all about racing and times (in fact, it doesn't have to be at all) or who's done a marathon or has an M dot tatoo. Personally I find all that kind of amusing. I'm not a status conscious person in the rest of my life and not as an athlete, either. Sometimes I'm motivated by the challenge of doing a longer distance or a faster time, sometimes just want to keep in shape and enjoy myself. I'm pretty sure my fastest days are behind me at age 45 but a long run completed is still a long run, and the pleasant fatigue after a swim workout doesn't change. I think you have to learn to love the training and the experience of the races themselves, not just be in it for results. For me it's one of the times when I feel most alive, even if I'm hurting at the moment. Ordinary life is often lacking in physical challenge, and full of people just BS-ing their way through. You can't say that about endurance sports! I guess what's kept me at it is that no matter what the mess I've made of the rest my day....er...at times, perhaps the rest of my life....I can still look back most days and feel like I've done something positive.

agreed. one year the focus is to be fast in the shorter distances, another year I want to do multiple long races and don't care about time. it's the beauty of triathlon, you can always change the goal while still enjoying the journey
2014-09-03 11:01 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

There are always different ways to train for tri. This year I did my first IM, many hours of slower, steady state training and yes it was a huge time suck. I usually do a Sprint in Aug with my Father, he asked if I was going to do it this year after my IM as I would "be sooo fast after all this IM training". Problem is I was not fast. Sure I could ride 100 miles at the drop of a hat and not feel too bad, but I was by no means fast. Heck I hadn't had my heart rate over a Z3 for a long time. 

2015 will be the year of bike racing for me, I may do a Sprint or an Oly, but for the most part I will be bike racing which means lots of intervals and speed work. It won't take as much time as IM training, but it will be a ton of HARD work. I am looking forward to the challenge, and to having more free time next summer. 

2014-09-03 11:44 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

New user
This is a great topic and I have enjoyed reading the posts, some really wonderful thoughts shared.

I have seen so much self improvement in my journey, fitness, weight loss, confidence, toning, distance gains, joy etc etc. The changes have been such a beautiful thing to experience. I truly enjoy the training and moving from seeing a distance go from scary to logged in my training book!
I did my first marathon this year and it was so much more than just the event itself. Week after week felt like a victory as I saw what I was capable of. My second is coming up and I am signed up for a 50 miler next year.

I think there is so much to enjoy in this world of endurance sports that it becomes hard to choose what next which is really a delightful problem to have. I discovered there are tri's where you kayak in place of the swim! Trails, xterra on and on and on! Like a buffet but a healthy one!!!

Enjoy this amazing journey! I am!
2014-09-03 12:00 PM

User image

Pro

it's like blowing up a balloon with a hole in it.

the fitter you get, the more you need to blow... just to maintain that level.

eventually, we run out of time and the ability to recover.

enjoy the journey.

2014-09-08 6:49 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Greenville, SC
…and now you understand my username.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Never enough Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

At what point is enough...enough?

Started by Joblin
Views: 1529 Posts: 17

2014-05-16 9:33 PM Left Brain

When is enough enough

Started by chrismcturnan
Views: 902 Posts: 6

2012-06-29 9:15 PM netzer0

when is enough enough...

Started by tiggere
Views: 1189 Posts: 4

2008-10-17 2:07 AM Slugger

is that enough running?

Started by martintwin
Views: 922 Posts: 6

2006-04-01 5:33 PM Traveski

Tiger Phil RU Extreme Enough!!!

Started by H13
Views: 762 Posts: 9

2005-05-21 6:11 PM Hawkeye
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
I just did a sprint triathlon and want to sign up for my first olympic in six weeks. Is this enough time to train?

date : November 28, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Protein: How much is enough? Weight Management: How much exercise is enough? Also discussed is the link between weight and taste buds.
date : June 25, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?