General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are Sprint Races Scoffed at in the Triathlon Community? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-09-05 10:10 AM
in reply to: rizztalah

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Are Sprint Races Scoffed at in the Triathlon Community?

Yeh, I wouldn't be bothered by what others have said.  I'm more impressed with good results, regardless of the distance.  Btw, I love sprints...they are not easy if you are "racing" them.

2014-09-05 10:32 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
What is really important is the number of bikes you own and your seat height. ;-)

Seriously though, you don't get the same number of oohs and aahs from people when you say you did a sprint vs something else, but who cares? Sprints can be hard and there are usually some really, really fast people at the front who you can push yourself against.

As for your comment about wanting to race nationals, as far as I know you dont have to qualify for the sprint nationals (which IMO makes it just another race) but you DO have to qualify for the OLY nationals.
2014-09-05 10:36 AM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Pro

Originally posted by louiskie What is really important is the number of bikes you own and your seat height. ;-) Seriously though, you don't get the same number of oohs and aahs from people when you say you did a sprint vs something else, but who cares? Sprints can be hard and there are usually some really, really fast people at the front who you can push yourself against. As for your comment about wanting to race nationals, as far as I know you dont have to qualify for the sprint nationals (which IMO makes it just another race) but you DO have to qualify for the OLY nationals.

Nope...because it's the only way to get to sprint worlds.

2014-09-05 10:47 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Last weekend the Hy Vee Triathlon had to change from an Olympic to a Sprint due to flooding issues in Des Moines on the bike course.  Several people were irritated and I think many didn't show up.  I heard things like:  "All this training and preparation for Just A Sprint" or "Why travel,, pay, etc, etc, etc, for Just A Sprint". 

I think Sprints are hard.  I did the Hy Vee Sprint and was red lined HR through the Swim and the Bike and held back some on the run due to to an injury I had been dealing with.  I think Sprints can be as hard as any event, but the recovery is soooooooo much different.  Are sprints less impressive than the longer distances???? Maybe to some but I don't think the general triathlon community scoffs at sprint races. 

IMO, we are Triathletes.  We are not Sprint Triathletes.  We are not Olympic Triathletes.  We are Triathletes.  

Oh, and I Frickn' HATE the phrase:  "It's Just A Sprint".

On the other hand, I wonder how this thread would go on Slow Twitch?

2014-09-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Pro

I'll take the person who can run a 750 swim/ 20K bike/ 5K run sprint in under an hour over the guy who can do a 16 hour IM any day. 

I scoff at IM.

2014-09-05 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Last weekend the Hy Vee Triathlon had to change from an Olympic to a Sprint due to flooding issues in Des Moines on the bike course.  Several people were irritated and I think many didn't show up.  I heard things like:  "All this training and preparation for Just A Sprint" or "Why travel,, pay, etc, etc, etc, for Just A Sprint". 

I think Sprints are hard.  I did the Hy Vee Sprint and was red lined HR through the Swim and the Bike and held back some on the run due to to an injury I had been dealing with.  I think Sprints can be as hard as any event, but the recovery is soooooooo much different.  Are sprints less impressive than the longer distances???? Maybe to some but I don't think the general triathlon community scoffs at sprint races. 

IMO, we are Triathletes.  We are not Sprint Triathletes.  We are not Olympic Triathletes.  We are Triathletes.  

Oh, and I Frickn' HATE the phrase:  "It's Just A Sprint".

On the other hand, I wonder how this thread would go on Slow Twitch?

Slowtwitch: A sprint is a worthy endeavor, as a warmup to your real race the next day.

2014-09-05 11:48 AM
in reply to: louiskie

New user
Branford
But it is true that most all of us have gone down the mental road that started with.... OMG I just finished my first sprint. It was hard for lots of reasons, now that same sprint can simply be chalked up to 'just another training day'. We've worked hard to have our bodies conditioned to that mind set.

But hell yeah they deserve respect! I race Super Sprints to HIM, I can consistently finish somewhere in the top third (25% - 35%). We have a local Thursday night, super sprint race series, very casual. SUPER competitive! I bust my to break top half out of 150 participants.
2014-09-05 11:52 AM
in reply to: Ned42

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Ned42 But it is true that most all of us have gone down the mental road that started with.... OMG I just finished my first sprint. It was hard for lots of reasons, now that same sprint can simply be chalked up to 'just another training day'. We've worked hard to have our bodies conditioned to that mind set. But hell yeah they deserve respect! I race Super Sprints to HIM, I can consistently finish somewhere in the top third (25% - 35%). We have a local Thursday night, super sprint race series, very casual. SUPER competitive! I bust my to break top half out of 150 participants.

That's not true for the really fast sprint racers....and like I said, sprint racing is still part ot WTS racing....those are the fastest folks on the planet.

2014-09-05 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

yeah sprints are stupid, just like the 400m, 800m, mile, 5k, 10k. What a waste of time. They are just warmups for the marathon and no real athlete would compete in those events.

2014-09-05 11:57 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

yeah sprints are stupid, just like the 400m, 800m, mile, 5k, 10k. What a waste of time. They are just warmups for the marathon and no real athlete would compete in those events.

2014-09-05 1:14 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Not by anyone who knows what they're talking about.

Sure, completing a sprint takes less commitment than completing a long course race, but if you want to race your fastest, both are going to hurt, but in different ways.  To be your fastest at either takes a similar amount of commitment and hard work.

Personally, anytime I race a sprint or 5K race, I question my sanity, because it hurts so badly to go that hard, but racing a HIM feels like a walk in the park comparatively.  I always feel that sprints and 5K's are like being dropped into a pot of boiling water, but long course racing is like sitting in a pot of tepid water that's then slowly heated to boiling.

In the end, don't worry about what others think.  Do what you enjoy.

2014-09-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Sure, completing a sprint takes less commitment than completing a long course race, but if you want to race your fastest, both are going to hurt, but in different ways.  To be your fastest at either takes a similar amount of commitment and hard work.

Personally, anytime I race a sprint or 5K race, I question my sanity, because it hurts so badly to go that hard, but racing a HIM feels like a walk in the park comparatively.  I always feel that sprints and 5K's are like being dropped into a pot of boiling water, but long course racing is like sitting in a pot of tepid water that's then slowly heated to boiling.

I scoff at you.

2014-09-05 1:37 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TriMyBest

I scoff at you.

2014-09-05 2:11 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

Honestly, I would wave my award in my boss' face and ask him when HIS last tri was, but I'm immature like that. You certainly don't see me telling Usain Bolt that he is lame just because I've done a few marathons.

Really, your going to wave your silly little award in the face of an armed forces veteran? He's going to laugh at you and ask when was the last time you ran 10 miles over uneven ground while someone was trying to kill you. It's all about perspective. To him a sprint probably is an absurdity compared what he has seen and done. Especially when he sees the types of people that manage to finish and complete sprint triathlons.

And this is your slowtwitch post of the thread

Edited by ziggie204 2014-09-05 2:11 PM
2014-09-05 2:31 PM

User image

If you want to find really competitive sprints you have to travel....they're out there.  It's more than a valid distance to race, even included in the WTS.  What I think is lost on most people is that many of the really fast people in 70.3 were first really fast people at the sprint/oly distance. Watch what happens when Gomez and co. move out and decide to go long.

I love sprint racing.....and I like the training for a a sprint race even more.  My limited experience with long course bored the crap out of me.

Anxious to see what Gomez can do this weekend.

2014-09-05 7:36 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I have only done Sprint and Oly and I have no plans to do longer races. I like these distances and definitely don't scoff at Sprints.

However...
I do find that faster racers are more likely to enter the Oly when both distances are offered. The winner of the Oly almost always has faster bike and run paces than the winner of the Sprint - despite the fact the they are racing the longer distances. I have placed in my AG at sprints on a few occasions. If I had raced the Oly on the same day I would not have placed. I enjoy placing in my AG, even for a small, local event, so I see nothing wrong with this.

2014-09-05 10:02 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I've never heard of someone scoffing at any distance triathlon, but I think if someone does it's probably because of the trend of "longer is better." I've read quite a few articles about how the younger generations are a lot less concerned with times, be it in running, channel swimming, etc. and are more concerned with just having done it. You may say "I did the sprint this weekend in 57:12!" and people may not appreciate the fact that you ran 4:12 miles, but if you said "I did an Ironman" people light up because it's that crazy thing they saw on TV with all the spectacle about it. If anyone tries to make it sound like a sprint is easy, that means they're not racing hard enough. That's the beauty of racing, whether it's swimming, biking, running, or all 3, it's as hard as YOU make it. It can be a leisurely stroll, or the toughest day of your life. I actually love sprints because they're all so unique, each one has it's own specific distance and flavor. Some of my most exciting racing moments that I look back on with fond memories were the sprints, not the big ones Don't let one wanker take the wind out of your sails

2014-09-05 10:44 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Thank you, that's a good point. And that seems to be the case here. So far I've only done 4 sprints (this is my first year in triathlon) but I've podiumed all 4 times! I feel awesome! And I feel like all my training is validated. Of course I want to share it with my friends/coworkers. Luckily most of them think it's cool,but you're right, there's that group of people that could care less, unless I say, "Ironman." But I've heard so many great opinions on here, I feel well equipped now on defending my short distance lovin' butt. Lol

But also, I shouldn't even need to defend... If I love it, I love it.

I love it.

:D
2014-09-05 10:47 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Gomez is a machine... I just watched an old highlight between him and Brownlee sprinting for the finish. His brother even stopped mid race to cheer him on!! I have watched that over and over. Amazing athletes.
2014-09-05 10:54 PM

User image

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Man, this is such a great point. Thank you.
2014-09-05 11:28 PM

User image

Alberta
Last years silver medalist at 70.3 Worlds in the 45-49 age group (only 11 seconds behind the winner), managed "only" 5th at Olympic Worlds in Edmonton, almost 3 minutes behind the winner. Different racing, different energy systems, equally triathlon.

2014-09-06 12:00 AM

User image

Alberta
....and the Sprint times were just as fast or faster!
2014-09-06 3:14 AM
in reply to: heindj

User image

Sprint racing makes me puke. It' SO hard.  How can they call it a sprint when it lasts for an hour?!?!? 

I've done three IM races and at no point was I gasping for breath like I was for an entire bloody sprint race.

Forgive your colleague, ignorance is bliss.

2014-09-06 8:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jammer69

Do you think Mo Farah laughed at Usain Bolt when Bolt said I'm the fastest man in the world? Nope.

I like that that's what I told my 10 year old when he told me my coach was lazy because he hasn 't done an IM.
(Well, not those words exactly, he doesn't know who Mo Farah is, but I asked him if he thought Usain Bolt was lazy, after all he only runs 100m!)

Edited by Rollergirl 2014-09-06 8:14 AM
2014-09-06 12:39 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

I'll take the person who can run a 750 swim/ 20K bike/ 5K run sprint in under an hour over the guy who can do a 16 hour IM any day. 

I scoff at IM.

Nice -lol
Over a year ago I started to also compete in Masters track (distances up to 400m) - no 1600 or 5k people out there saying to anyone, "oh, you're just a sprinter."

Anyone who thinks riding is sitting on the couch watching football should have no weight to their words; but it does get to me when my marathon buddies or even my brother who is so slow twitch based say, "why make sprint distances a goal, etc etc." It has come to my understanding in alot of ways too, is that there are different strokes for different folks. I love intensity and speed, sprint provides that much more. Whereas my friend infuriates when I can beat him in a 5k, but you couldn't pay me enough to run an ultra like he did. Genuine athletes who put the work & effort in should really never trash talk another's genuine work and effort (it's why I HATED the A holes in my time spent boxing - that's all that goes on there) I like track & triis because most aren't like that
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are Sprint Races Scoffed at in the Triathlon Community? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

I am now a sprint triathlon finisher ,

Started by tim92070
Views: 1594 Posts: 17

2011-05-09 12:42 PM dandr614

Am I ready for a Sprint Triathlon

Started by TableKnight
Views: 5744 Posts: 20

2010-08-12 7:52 PM TableKnight

Pre-Race and Race Hydration for Sprint Races

Started by ut_tri_465
Views: 1684 Posts: 4

2007-06-18 5:16 PM RBRMIKE

Giving back to the triathlon community

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1094 Posts: 5

2006-10-10 4:54 PM zia_cyclist

Community's reaction to triathlons

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 692 Posts: 9

2005-09-21 10:50 AM D.Z.
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
comments : 0
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : October 10, 2004
author : TSN
Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Out of this frustration, the first annual Denver Community College Triathlon was born. It was open to all employees of the campus, with a 30 dollar entrance fee for the campus scholarship fund.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.