General Discussion Triathlon Talk » toilet break? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-16 11:53 AM

User image

Subject: toilet break?
Hello BT,

Yesterday was my first 3,000m (freestyle) workout ( 6x500, 10-20 seconds break between sets). I was so happy I finished the workout without toe cramps!!!!

My question is do you ever have to get out of the pool to pee? I did , before the 5th set. Thank goodness the pool was not crowded I got my lane back

Edited by Phebes 2014-09-16 11:55 AM

2014-09-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Regular
Virginia
Subject: RE: toilet break?

Here we go...

2014-09-16 12:07 PM

User image

Exton, PA
If there was no pee in the pool it would be an ool
2014-09-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

If there was no pee in the pool it would be an ool

LOL, hahaha
2014-09-16 12:16 PM

User image

There is something about being in the water. As long as I am swimming, I don't notice it, but as soon as I stop...
2014-09-16 12:20 PM

User image

OK, before we totally derail the thread -- my question is related but about hydration.

Phebes-- do you drink water when you are doing workouts that long? (p.s. well done on the long workout!)

I always have a water bottle on deck, and my swims are only 45 min-1 hour now. So far I've only done sprint tris (where I obviously didn't feel the need to drink) but I want an olympic and possibly half-IM next year. Judging by how I feel in my current workouts, I think I'm going to feel overly thirsty during the swim. Friends who do longer tris say they don't drink water in swim workouts-- should I be getting used to not drinking water during workouts?

2014-09-16 12:26 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jennifer_runs OK, before we totally derail the thread -- my question is related but about hydration. Phebes-- do you drink water when you are doing workouts that long? (p.s. well done on the long workout!) I always have a water bottle on deck, and my swims are only 45 min-1 hour now. So far I've only done sprint tris (where I obviously didn't feel the need to drink) but I want an olympic and possibly half-IM next year. Judging by how I feel in my current workouts, I think I'm going to feel overly thirsty during the swim. Friends who do longer tris say they don't drink water in swim workouts-- should I be getting used to not drinking water during workouts?

I'm the same way, probably because the pool I usually swim in is a little too toasty at 84 degrees, but I'm constantly drinking during my workouts. I've never felt thirsty during a race though, maybe it's psychological

2014-09-16 12:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

OK, before we totally derail the thread -- my question is related but about hydration.

Phebes-- do you drink water when you are doing workouts that long? (p.s. well done on the long workout!)

I always have a water bottle on deck, and my swims are only 45 min-1 hour now. So far I've only done sprint tris (where I obviously didn't feel the need to drink) but I want an olympic and possibly half-IM next year. Judging by how I feel in my current workouts, I think I'm going to feel overly thirsty during the swim. Friends who do longer tris say they don't drink water in swim workouts-- should I be getting used to not drinking water during workouts?

on a serious note I was regretting I did not have a bottle of water by the pool deck, cause towards the end, I was feeling dizzy. But I kept on going because the main purpose of the workout was mental toughness (according to the writer of the workout "Intermediate Sprint"). I was amazingly surprised that I did not have toe cramps. According to articles I read, that most toe cramps are caused by lack of hydration. I drank a whole bottle of gatorade before the swim.

.... but I did a pee break cause I started to feel by bladder hurting
2014-09-16 12:42 PM

User image

, Alabama

When I started swimming I used to have a water bottle on hand, but the longer the distance got and the better I got I felt I needed it less. Now I don't need anything. You also have to consider that for longer distances races unless you plan on drinking the water you are swimming in you need to be used to going without.
2014-09-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: TriBeer

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriBeer

When I started swimming I used to have a water bottle on hand, but the longer the distance got and the better I got I felt I needed it less. Now I don't need anything. You also have to consider that for longer distances races unless you plan on drinking the water you are swimming in you need to be used to going without.

right....

You realize you do sweat while swimming? The longer you go the more you sweat. If you going to do long swims w/o a water bottle I would recommend OWS. But if you are in a pool don't do something silly like deprive yourself of fluids and fail to meet the GOALS of the workout.

As for the "you need to be used to going long without it" comment. I think this is a prime example of people taking race specificity way too far. Should I also drop water bottles and my nutrition on my long rides, bonk, miss the GOALS of the workout, but get used to the possibility of what might happen?

2014-09-16 12:55 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Phebes Hello BT, Yesterday was my first 3,000m (freestyle) workout ( 6x500, 10-20 seconds break between sets). I was so happy I finished the workout without toe cramps!!!! My question is do you ever have to get out of the pool to pee? I did , before the 5th set. Thank goodness the pool was not crowded I got my lane back

why get out to pee?

2014-09-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by Phebes Hello BT, Yesterday was my first 3,000m (freestyle) workout ( 6x500, 10-20 seconds break between sets). I was so happy I finished the workout without toe cramps!!!! My question is do you ever have to get out of the pool to pee? I did , before the 5th set. Thank goodness the pool was not crowded I got my lane back

why get out to pee?

(peeper.gif)

Attachments
----------------
peeper.gif (4KB - 3 downloads)
2014-09-16 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

why get out to pee?

Because people think its gross to swim in a pool that someone peed in that has chlorine, but those same people will swim in a lake people and animals have peed, pooped, and who knows what else have done without any chlorine in it. Weird.
2014-09-16 1:08 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

, Alabama
Originally posted by bcagle25

right....

You realize you do sweat while swimming? The longer you go the more you sweat. If you going to do long swims w/o a water bottle I would recommend OWS. But if you are in a pool don't do something silly like deprive yourself of fluids and fail to meet the GOALS of the workout.

As for the "you need to be used to going long without it" comment. I think this is a prime example of people taking race specificity way too far. Should I also drop water bottles and my nutrition on my long rides, bonk, miss the GOALS of the workout, but get used to the possibility of what might happen?

I was bringing a bottle and not needing it that's why I stopped. I'm not depriving myself of anything. I can go for a 1 hr run or ride without water why should swimming be any different.

If you aren't going to have access to a drink in the middle of the swim then you should know what thats like before going into it. Its not about practicing the possibility its about practicing the reality.
2014-09-16 1:08 PM

User image

Originally posted by Phebes

on a serious note I was regretting I did not have a bottle of water by the pool deck, cause towards the end, I was feeling dizzy. But I kept on going because the main purpose of the workout was mental toughness (according to the writer of the workout "Intermediate Sprint"). I was amazingly surprised that I did not have toe cramps. According to articles I read, that most toe cramps are caused by lack of hydration. I drank a whole bottle of gatorade before the swim.

• ... but I did a pee break cause I started to feel by bladder hurting

• Cramping isn't always from hydration. It could simply be from your muscles over-exerting.

I get cramping in my calves when I do a swim later in the day after a hard run... has nothing to do with hydration and everything to do with my muscles already being fatigued. This is why USUALLY the triathlon has the swim first-- other than those interesting reverse tris (which are always in a pool, I'm pretty sure).
    2014-09-16 1:10 PM

User image

right....

So... keep using my bottle for workouts and it will just be ok in the race? You're right that races are always different anyway.

2014-09-16 1:26 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin

right....

So... keep using my bottle for workouts and it will just be ok in the race? You're right that races are always different anyway.

Let me further explain how this works.

Lets say you have a threshold set in the pool. A very hard, heavy sweating intense set. What are the GOALS of the set, mimic race conditions, or condition your body in a certain way?

If I want to mimic race conditions I might do a race distance OWS where I won't use a water bottle.

See where I am going with this?

Edited by bcagle25 2014-09-16 1:29 PM
    2014-09-16 1:28 PM
    in reply to: TriBeer

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin

right....

I was bringing a bottle and not needing it that's why I stopped. I'm not depriving myself of anything. I can go for a 1 hr run or ride without water why should swimming be any different.

If you aren't going to have access to a drink in the middle of the swim then you should know what thats like before going into it. Its not about practicing the possibility its about practicing the reality.

See my post above

Certain sessions call for specificity to the race, other sessions build up your ability to race well. They are both completely different and have different goals within the session.

I'll also add in that I have been racing for 6 years so after my first 2-3 triathlons I kinda knew what it was like to not have access to drinkable water when swimming.

2014-09-16 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
    Madison, Wisconsin

right....

See my post above

Also pools are usually much warmer. SHould I swim in my wetsuit then? Because I won't be swimming w/o it in the race. See where I am going?

Certain sessions call for specificity to the race, other sessions build up your ability to race well. They are both completely different and have different goals within the session.

I'll also add in that I have been racing for 6 years so after my first 2-3 triathlons I kinda knew what it was like to not have access to drinkable water when swimming.

2014-09-16 1:32 PM

User image

New user
    Austin, Texas

Your cramps could also be from a lack of potassium

2014-09-16 1:36 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs OK, before we totally derail the thread -- my question is related but about hydration. Phebes-- do you drink water when you are doing workouts that long? (p.s. well done on the long workout!) I always have a water bottle on deck, and my swims are only 45 min-1 hour now. So far I've only done sprint tris (where I obviously didn't feel the need to drink) but I want an olympic and possibly half-IM next year. Judging by how I feel in my current workouts, I think I'm going to feel overly thirsty during the swim. Friends who do longer tris say they don't drink water in swim workouts-- should I be getting used to not drinking water during workouts?
    right.... You realize you do sweat while swimming? The longer you go the more you sweat. If you going to do long swims w/o a water bottle I would recommend OWS. But if you are in a pool don't do something silly like deprive yourself of fluids and fail to meet the GOALS of the workout. As for the "you need to be used to going long without it" comment. I think this is a prime example of people taking race specificity way too far. Should I also drop water bottles and my nutrition on my long rides, bonk, miss the GOALS of the workout, but get used to the possibility of what might happen?
    I was bringing a bottle and not needing it that's why I stopped. I'm not depriving myself of anything. I can go for a 1 hr run or ride without water why should swimming be any different. If you aren't going to have access to a drink in the middle of the swim then you should know what thats like before going into it. Its not about practicing the possibility its about practicing the reality.
    See my post above Certain sessions call for specificity to the race, other sessions build up your ability to race well. They are both completely different and have different goals within the session. I'll also add in that I have been racing for 6 years so after my first 2-3 triathlons I kinda knew what it was like to not have access to drinkable water when swimming.

I leave the swimming to the swim coaches....as such:

1. Keep drinking

2. If you get out to pee it's a 400 fly when you get back in.

It must work because the kids keep getting faster and faster.

2014-09-16 1:39 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
    the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Left Brain

1. Keep drinking

you really let me down with this one.  i was waiting for a "you are really overthinking something simple" comment

2014-09-16 1:42 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

1. Keep drinking

you really let me down with this one.  i was waiting for a "you are really overthinking something simple" comment

I was headed there, but the whole discussion on drinking or not drinking while wallowing around in millions of gallons of water got me sideways.

2014-09-16 1:48 PM

User image

right....

I just had to laugh at that. Last year during an OWS practice with my tri club, I asked one of the more experienced swimmers (he has done tris for years and was on his swim team in college) why I was getting leg cramps during swims, but not during bike or run workouts. He looked at me and asked, "You do know that you sweat when you swim, right?" I had to admit that it never occurred to me. It is kind of like running in the rain. Because I don't get hot, and my lips don't get dry, or whatever thirst triggers my body has, it doesn't occur to me to keep up with hydration. He also told me to eat more salt. I don't know if it is hydration or salt, but something worked, and I stopped getting leg cramps.
    2014-09-16 2:11 PM
    in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Denver, CO

This thread is kind of going in a different direction other than peeing in the pool but I'll throw in my $0.02 on the topic of hydration.  I'm always thirsty after swimming due to sweating a lot so I make sure to rehydrate afterwards.  If I don't, I end up with a wicked headache.  I used to bring H2O to the pool but found I never drank it.

As for peeing in the pool, I always make sure I go in with an empty bladder so I've been lucky not to have that issue.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » toilet break? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Broken or Not Broken - make your guess!

Started by fisherman76
    Views: 1422 Posts: 8

2012-03-21 12:24 AM Left Brain

Toilet break in a HIM

Started by Jimbob
    Views: 2214 Posts: 13

2010-06-14 8:22 AM xeon

Bring Toilet Paper To Your Race

Started by davidson3
    Views: 1948 Posts: 22

2009-09-01 10:40 PM davidson3

Swimming workouts...breaks or no breaks?

Started by EABonney
    Views: 1361 Posts: 10

2007-06-26 10:09 PM mman

A 1st - broke 100 miles running, broke 7 min barrier in run

Started by jpb0009
    Views: 1348 Posts: 9

2006-06-28 4:42 PM jpb0009
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 15, 2008
    author : lcthomas74
    comments : 0
    Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : March 17, 2008
    author : BWL
    comments : 4
    Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
    date : October 30, 2005
    author : smeeko
    If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.

date : April 24, 2005
    author : AMSSM
    It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.