General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training on Rest Day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-18 7:09 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Strength Training on Rest Day?
I have started doing some light strength training on my rest days (once a week). My thought is that since it is not cardio, then it's ok. It's also pretty light consisting of a total of about 30 pull ups, 30 push ups, 100 sit ups and some shoulder and triceps exercises. Maybe 20 minutes. So this is ok, or does it defeat some of the benefits of rest day?

2014-09-18 7:20 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Strength Training on Rest Day?
What are you trying to gain with your rest day?

How do you feel the day after your rest day?

Shane
2014-09-18 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by 3mar

I have started doing some light strength training on my rest days (once a week). My thought is that since it is not cardio, then it's ok. It's also pretty light consisting of a total of about 30 pull ups, 30 push ups, 100 sit ups and some shoulder and triceps exercises. Maybe 20 minutes. So this is ok, or does it defeat some of the benefits of rest day?

Rest day is about absorbing the training load and preparing for your next block of training. So in essence you want to have less stress on the body then when you train. This stress applies to ALL of life, NOT just training. So if you rest day is Monday and that is your most stressful day at work, then just how beneficial is your rest day?

With strength training what are you goals? Why are you doing triceps exercises push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups? Just like your training should be structured to maximize your benefits so should your strength training, i.e. is should be goal oriented and applicable to the muscle and movements you use in sport. If you want to work on your core I would suggest doing movement patterns that focus on your core (Front seats, RDL's, planks, med ball exercises, etc.) and you get a lot more benefit out of them.
2014-09-18 7:42 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Originally posted by gsmacleod

What are you trying to gain with your rest day?

How do you feel the day after your rest day?

Shane

I would also ask what is the goal of your strength training? Every session should have a purpose.

2014-09-18 7:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm new, so this may not make sense, but here is my reasoning/goal for the strength training. I find the upper body work, especially the pull-ups and triceps exercises help my swimming. I can't say this with absolute certainty, but I feel like it does. I was also getting a lot of shoulder fatigue on my aero bars at first, but since I started my strength exercises, this has been alleviated. Now, both of these perceived "results" could simply be from the other training and my body getting used to those two sports and has nothing to do with the strength training.

I'm going into my fourth month of training and I sort of started pretty hard out of the gate. I struggled a bit at first, but over the last month, it's gotten pretty easy. I really feel zero fatigue between my workouts, but I'm hesitant to change it up as I am seeing a lot of gains in speed (the bike is lagging a bit, but the swim and run times have been dropping quite a bit). So another part of that is on rest day, I'm kind of bored. Here's my workout schedule, I've based this around splitting upper body days and leg days. So you'll see that S-legs, M-legs, T-Upper body, W-legs, T-legs, F-upper body, S-legs+upper body. That was my logic anyway:

Sunday - 45 mile bike
Monday - 7 mile run
Tuesday - Strength Training
Wednesday - 20 mile bike + 3 mile run
Thursday - 10 mile bike + 6 mile run
Friday - Swim 2,750 meters
Saturday - Swim 1,500 meters + bike 12 miles + run 3 miles

I use the Saturday workout as a time trial, which is how I know I am still dropping time pretty readily even though the work load has gotten pretty easy. Here is a graph of my total time for the Saturday TT workouts:

Edited by 3mar 2014-09-18 8:00 AM

(Total.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Total.JPG (54KB - 1 downloads)
2014-09-18 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Looks like you are doing something right--it has taken me about three years to make gains like that. Not sure how much is attributable to strength training but that wasn't really your question. As for whether you should do it on your rest day, only you can answer that. Try doing the following day's workout after the strength work and after a no training day for a couple of times each. Does it affect the quality of the workout or your perceived effort/exertion? if not, then you are probably recovering adequately. If you find you're consistently more tired or have trouble hitting paces you can otherwise handle, then you probably need the rest day. This might vary week to week depending on overall training load and other life stresses.

I personally do some strength training and feel it has been beneficial, mainly in terms of injury prevention (correcting muscle imbalances fom previous traumaic injuries) and to a lesser extent in very specific areas of swim and bike (swimming in strong current, pushing a harder gear on the bike). I think this is due to my physical makeup. I have a very small build and probably close to 100% slow twitch muscles. I can keep going for a very long time at a moderate intensity but really struggle when it goes higher. Even after lots of (decades in my case) endurance training my strength/power are probably not as good as many untrained people. I feel like pushing my strength "ceiling" up a little with both strength training and sport-specific power work has been useful with some of the more strength related aspects of tri. Maybe less so for others with a different physical makeup or athletic background.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-09-18 8:42 AM

2014-09-18 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Rest days are for resting strength training is not resting, I try to incorporate a short 15- 20 min strength or Core session after or before most workouts usually my swim workouts of which I do 3 per week. and target one particular area at a time, occasionally I will drop a run or bike workout to do a big overall core & strength workout maybe once every couple of weeks.

That being said I have always been very injury prone and I have found that since introducing strength and core into my training schedule my injury rate has dropped very dramatically so definitely if you can squeeze it in go for it. Its helped me a lot.
2014-09-18 8:56 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I think this is due to my physical makeup. I have a very small build and probably close to 100% slow twitch muscles. I can keep going for a very long time at a moderate intensity but really struggle when it goes higher. Even after lots of (decades in my case) endurance training my strength/power are probably not as good as many untrained people.

I have also felt like this in my experience. If I were to run a 100 meter dash, I'd probably only be able to hit my 5k pace. I've struggled with that a lot. It's most pronounced on the bike. I hear a lot of advice about doing intervals on the bike, but I'm sitting here thinking...I've only got one speed! The difference between my 45 mile pace and my 12 mile pace is maybe 2 mph.

Regarding the gains...I'm new so that's where they are coming from. Give me 6 months and they won't be the same I'm sure.
2014-09-18 9:07 AM

User image

Champion

I have also felt like this in my experience. If I were to run a 100 meter dash, I'd probably only be able to hit my 5k pace. I've struggled with that a lot. It's most pronounced on the bike. I hear a lot of advice about doing intervals on the bike, but I'm sitting here thinking...I've only got one speed! The difference between my 45 mile pace and my 12 mile pace is maybe 2 mph.

Making a few assumptions:

45 mile pace - 20mph
12 mile pace - 22mph

This gives a delta of 3.2km/h or about 10s/km - using some rough estimates, you are looking at about 100W difference (which is huge). While it is unlikely that you are actually looking at a difference of 100W between the two, there is certainly a big difference in effort so you have more than one speed.

Shane

2014-09-18 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If you feel no fatigue between workouts,

A. You are not training hard enough,

B. You don't need a rest day.

You either need to increase volume or intensity to increase your training load and fitness. Rather than doing a strength session, have you considered increasing your volume? another run and swim would probably be a big benefit from looking at your schedule. I would also consider making your shorter rides longer (and probably increasing the intensity)

2014-09-18 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by dmiller5

You either need to increase volume or intensity to increase your training load and fitness. Rather than doing a strength session, have you considered increasing your volume? another run and swim would probably be a big benefit from looking at your schedule. I would also consider making your shorter rides longer (and probably increasing the intensity)

Agreed - you shouldn't feel completely shelled by every workout but there should be a little bit of fatigue if you want to continue to make progress. For example, you may feel pretty much fine most of the time but you climb a couple of flights of stairs and your legs feel extremely heavy.

ETA - rest days are overrated - they can be valuable but are often over utilized.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2014-09-18 9:18 AM

2014-09-18 10:23 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Making a few assumptions:

45 mile pace - 20mph
12 mile pace - 22mph

This gives a delta of 3.2km/h or about 10s/km - using some rough estimates, you are looking at about 100W difference (which is huge). While it is unlikely that you are actually looking at a difference of 100W between the two, there is certainly a big difference in effort so you have more than one speed.

Shane

Close on the guess, but I'm a touch slower. About 19 mph ave on 45 miles and 21 mph on the 12 miler. Those are averaged though and there is so much variability during those times that I would have a really hard time properly adjusting my effort. I just don't think I'm comfortable enough on the bike yet. A power meter would be awesome but I'm pretty sure the meter would cost more than my current bike and would much prefer to upgrade the bike if I has the cash and the inclination (in other works, my wife letting me).
2014-09-18 10:29 AM

User image

Champion

Close on the guess, but I'm a touch slower. About 19 mph ave on 45 miles and 21 mph on the 12 miler. Those are averaged though and there is so much variability during those times that I would have a really hard time properly adjusting my effort. I just don't think I'm comfortable enough on the bike yet. A power meter would be awesome but I'm pretty sure the meter would cost more than my current bike and would much prefer to upgrade the bike if I has the cash and the inclination (in other works, my wife letting me).

The key is not the actual wattage or delta in wattage but rather that you certainly have two very different gears. Further, if you were to scale back to efforts that have a much greater contribution from the anaerobic energy pathways (say a prologue type effort under 5 miles) then you are going to be at an even higher effort level (i.e. wattage).

Shane
2014-09-18 10:31 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Agreed - you shouldn't feel completely shelled by every workout but there should be a little bit of fatigue if you want to continue to make progress. For example, you may feel pretty much fine most of the time but you climb a couple of flights of stairs and your legs feel extremely heavy.

ETA - rest days are overrated - they can be valuable but are often over utilized.

Shane

I'm putting "rest days are overrated" under the "you told me what I wanted to hear, so I believe you" category. I really hate rest days and end up bored and fidgety all day.
2014-09-18 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I'm a strong believer in strength training, but its not for everyone. For a triathlete, strength training is mainly to help with repair and to avoid injury. Plenty of articles that talk about that, so there's no need to be repetitive. Does it make you faster? Yes, because you can train harder due to the strength training so your other training has more impact.

Should you do it on rest days? Depends. Some people do 40 minute runs on "rest days". If you do a 5 mile run on a regular day then a 30 minute strength training session may seem like a lot. If your regular day consists of a 45 mile ride and an 8 mile run, then a 1,500 meter pools swim and 30 minutes in the gym (assuming they're collocated) can feel great.

Incidentally at least one great triathlete, Dave Scott, is strongly in favor of strength training and he has routines that will actually help you on your various disciplines.

Also, there's some evidence to show that when slow twitch muscles become very tired, localized fast twitch fibers begin to take on some of the load.

And finally, "everyone" agrees that if you do strength training then 3x per week is a minimum to get material benefit. I would mix up high rep routines with low rep routines, never stressing muscles so much that you'll regret it the next day, and keep it in a circuit format.

Edited by FranzZemen 2014-09-18 10:37 AM
2014-09-18 10:56 AM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

DC
Originally posted by FranzZemen

I'm a strong believer in strength training, but its not for everyone. For a triathlete, strength training is mainly to help with repair and to avoid injury. Plenty of articles that talk about that, so there's no need to be repetitive. Does it make you faster? Yes, because you can train harder due to the strength training so your other training has more impact.

And finally, "everyone" agrees that if you do strength training then 3x per week is a minimum to get material benefit. I would mix up high rep routines with low rep routines, never stressing muscles so much that you'll regret it the next day, and keep it in a circuit format.

I agree. Matter of fact, as a 38 year-old (ouch!), I'm very mindful of the necessity of strength training. Aesthetics is also a motivator for me. 3x per week for me & varied.

On the other, I find "rest days" as really overrated. There will be days where I just can't get out of bed. BAM... rest day.

One week of light taper before a race works for me.

2014-09-18 10:56 AM

Master
Northern IL

Agreed - you shouldn't feel completely shelled by every workout but there should be a little bit of fatigue if you want to continue to make progress. For example, you may feel pretty much fine most of the time but you climb a couple of flights of stairs and your legs feel extremely heavy. ETA - rest days are overrated - they can be valuable but are often over utilized. Shane
I'm putting "rest days are overrated" under the "you told me what I wanted to hear, so I believe you" category. I really hate rest days and end up bored and fidgety all day.

Keep in mind the thread start and the first response. What are you looking to gain with the strength training? The rest day itself is often overrated, but recovery is still a very important part of training.

2014-09-18 11:00 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Porfirio

Aesthetics is also a motivator for me.

I didn't want to admit it at first, but x2 on that as well.
2014-09-18 11:08 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Porfirio

On the other, I find "rest days" as really overrated. There will be days where I just can't get out of bed. BAM... rest day.

This is exactly how I would like to do it, but have been forcing myself to take rest days just due to...peer pressure I guess?
2014-09-18 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Porfirio Aesthetics is also a motivator for me.

I look a hell of a lot better now than I did when I lifted every day (just ask the ladies ), and I haven't lifted a weight in 2 years.

2014-09-18 11:47 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas

I look a hell of a lot better now than I did when I lifted every day (just ask the ladies ), and I haven't lifted a weight in 2 years.

You know, replacing the rest day with another swim session would probably solve both issues. I've been slacking on swimming because it's been a naturally easy sport for me. So I would still get the upper body aesthetics, release the nervous energy normally associated with rest day and give my legs a break. I think I'm sold.

2014-09-18 2:32 PM

User image

DC

That's awesome for you if that's the case. I'm 6 foot & walk around comfortably at sub 145 lbs (which I do during marathon season). I just have to weight train to maintain 155 lbs throughout the year.

Besides, I really do think the jury's back on the importance of some sort of strength training to ward off muscle mass loss due to aging.
2014-09-18 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I'm also 25 so I don't have to worry about the aging thing...But anyone who puts in 3-4 good swim sessions a week shouldn't be having much of an upper body muscle issue.

2014-09-19 4:43 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ummmm.....Maybe true for guys with a muscular build. But there are plenty of us scrawny triathletes of both genders out there! If he wants to build muscle from an aesthetic point of view, 3-4 swim sessions may not do the trick. Functional strength, yes. Pleasing muscle definition, maybe.

As a teenager I swam probably 50,000 yards a week during the summer and winter seasons,including quite a bit of fly as I swam that in on the relay, and did the 1500 in about 21 minutes. I was 5'6" and about 112 pounds. Not exactly "ripped".

Really, the OP needs to think about his goals for weight training as well as whether it affects his recovery. If it does, then maybe he needs to consider where his priorities lie--Is it more important to have the physique he wants or be able to nail the next day's workout?
2014-09-19 8:25 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

DC

Really, the OP needs to think about his goals for weight training as well as whether it affects his recovery. If it does, then maybe he needs to consider where his priorities lie--Is it more important to have the physique he wants or be able to nail the next day's workout?
[/QUOTE

Yup! And if this helps: I know my races "suffer" even if ever so slightly b/c of the weight training I do. Still, I happy w/a 3:30 marathon time & a 1 hour 40K TT.

One last thing the OP might consider: I usually stop all weight training some 2 weeks before a race. It really is amazing how fast you can shed that aesthetic muscle! Train "big," race lean.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training on Rest Day? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

rest days/rest weeks

Started by disturbed
Views: 2121 Posts: 14

2010-10-25 8:49 AM 1stTimeTri

Explain it to me- Training tired and sore- no rest days Pages: 1 2

Started by KSH
Views: 3709 Posts: 41

2009-08-17 8:04 PM Rad-Onc PA

Heavy Training, Rest Days And Depression/Tired

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1973 Posts: 9

2009-07-20 2:59 PM BlueGreen

Vegan Training & Energy for the Rest of the Day

Started by VikingMom
Views: 1017 Posts: 14

2007-06-12 12:46 PM Colomingle

20-wk HIM training plan: rest days??

Started by puellasolis
Views: 926 Posts: 16

2007-03-29 12:42 PM puellasolis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : July 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
Is strength training critical for a triathlete? How can strength training help an athlete improve performance? What are the downsides?
date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.

date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.