BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-08-17 10:54 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Goals for the week:

DQ - Continue to record my food and try to eat 3500 calories a day, do what I can to recover from my crash and work to get my bick fixed, PT 2x per day while I recover, sign up for the Chilly Marathon

2015-08-17 3:21 PM

User image

Yikes, Dave...sounds terrifying! I'm glad you are ok, hope the bike is too! And soon!

Sandi
2015-08-17 3:26 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Checking in:

Last week took a bit of a downturn...several days of thunderstorms derailing things. Only got one bike in (but it was a good one with 4 sets of longer intervals, thanks Alan!), and swimming was out. I made up for it by doing several longer runs. Unfortunately, I think that may have bit me in the , literally. I've got a pretty sore hamstring/knee, so am now going to have to take it easy, at least on the run.

We did get some rain, so I may try out the lake again. I'm going to hold off on goals this week though till I see how things heal up.

Sandi
2015-08-17 6:24 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Dave I hope you are OK. Saw the pics of road rash, ouch!

For anyone interested next year I am racing IM Raleigh 70.3. Since I live in Raleigh (only 5 miles from the hilly part of the bike course) if anyone wants to do this race I will host a post race party at my house with food and homebrew. It's not till June 5th 2016. Watching the inaugural run of this event is what got me interested in this sport. I was going to do it this year but opted to do a full instead.
2015-08-17 9:07 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Workouts I'm trying to stick to a marathon training plan for a mid-November marathon. I jumped into week 4 of a 16 week plan. I figured my Oly was equal to about week 4.

Dave Glad to hear you're doing ok. Sorry about your steed. Make sure to post pics of your new baby. Since you need a new helmet it sounds like Alan recommends an aero one.

Eye Opener I recommend everyone give this a good read. It is motivating me to not stop. I made so much progress these past 8 months. I don't want to lose anything.

http://io9.com/this-is-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-stop-exer...

2015-08-18 5:10 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Scott !! I think HIM is my distance, never attempted a full IM (only day dream....) as very complicated to find enough training time, so HIM is challenging enough. Although I am far from Raleigh, I will try to put it in my agenda, after so many months posting it would be great to meet you and some other BDAS members and share some beers and some racing. Let´s keep the wine for the time you guys come to Spain to race!!

Juan

2015-08-18 8:52 AM

User image

Man, I've been a little absent and boy is it hard to keep up. Been training in the pool, on the stationary bike and running. Only days off I've had in the past two weeks have been Saturdays!

Yikes, Dave! Glad you're feeling better, but that stinks about the bike and your accident. Hope things will be okay with the bike!

Speaking of bikes, I'm going to be in the market to get my very own soon. I really want to get something new that has a warranty and such, something that I can call my own. However, being a nursing student the budget is set at like $1,400 at the maximum. I really don't want to have to spend that much if I don't have to. I know that's probably not even half of what a lot of people spend on a bike, but it's what I can do. Something that will last and take me to the Transplant Games next summer for the road race.

Some of the options I've found (I plan on going to the local store to get on some to see proper size):

Kestrel Talon 105 (real close to the top of my price point $1400 on amazon surprisingly): http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/road/talon-road-shimano-105

Orbea (never heard of this brand?) Avant H40: http://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/avant-h40/

Bianchi Via Nirone Claris Compact: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/endurance-racing/via-nirone-cl...

Bianchi Via Nirone Sora Compact: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/endurance-racing/via-nirone-so...

Bianchi Via Nirone Tiagra Compact: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/endurance-racing/via-nirone-ti...

Please let me know if you have any suggestions! This would be a huge help as I'm looking to purchase the second week of September. Thanks, guys!
2015-08-18 9:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by myarr Man, I've been a little absent and boy is it hard to keep up. Been training in the pool, on the stationary bike and running. Only days off I've had in the past two weeks have been Saturdays! Yikes, Dave! Glad you're feeling better, but that stinks about the bike and your accident. Hope things will be okay with the bike! Speaking of bikes, I'm going to be in the market to get my very own soon. I really want to get something new that has a warranty and such, something that I can call my own. However, being a nursing student the budget is set at like $1,400 at the maximum. I really don't want to have to spend that much if I don't have to. I know that's probably not even half of what a lot of people spend on a bike, but it's what I can do. Something that will last and take me to the Transplant Games next summer for the road race. Some of the options I've found (I plan on going to the local store to get on some to see proper size): Kestrel Talon 105 (real close to the top of my price point $1400 on amazon surprisingly): http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/road/talon-road-shimano-105Orbea (never heard of this brand?) Avant H40: http://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/avant-h40/Bianchi Via Nirone Claris Compact: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/endurance-racing/via-nirone-cl... Bianchi Via Nirone Sora Compact: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/endurance-racing/via-nirone-so... Bianchi Via Nirone Tiagra Compact: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/endurance-racing/via-nirone-ti... Please let me know if you have any suggestions! This would be a huge help as I'm looking to purchase the second week of September. Thanks, guys!

If I remember correctly you live in Florida right? So you probably want a bike now to ride all winter. If you can wait, however, this season's bike will usually go on sale late February early march. That would be your best time to get the most out of your dollar. 

Also I would recommend not going to your LBS for a fitting if you intend to buy elsewhere. Also keep in mind that there is more to fitting a bike than just getting on it. Getting the proper fit is essential and can make you love or hate riding. Frame size, seat height, fore/aft position, stem length are all important parts of fitting and you won't be able to judge what's best for you just by sitting on different sized frames. The benefit of buying from an LBS is that they should do a proper fit and they'll usually throw in free tune ups and fit adjustments. For your budget you should be able to get something decent. 

Do not buy anything with Sora or Claris components. Tiagra is the lowest you want to go but you should be able to get 105 on your budget. 

Edited by adempsey10 2015-08-18 9:05 AM
2015-08-18 9:27 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Originally posted by adempsey10
If I remember correctly you live in Florida right? So you probably want a bike now to ride all winter. If you can wait, however, this season's bike will usually go on sale late February early march. That would be your best time to get the most out of your dollar. 

Also I would recommend not going to your LBS for a fitting if you intend to buy elsewhere. Also keep in mind that there is more to fitting a bike than just getting on it. Getting the proper fit is essential and can make you love or hate riding. Frame size, seat height, fore/aft position, stem length are all important parts of fitting and you won't be able to judge what's best for you just by sitting on different sized frames. The benefit of buying from an LBS is that they should do a proper fit and they'll usually throw in free tune ups and fit adjustments. For your budget you should be able to get something decent. 

Do not buy anything with Sora or Claris components. Tiagra is the lowest you want to go but you should be able to get 105 on your budget. 

I like the idea of waiting until February, but the games are next June and I don't know if that'll give me enough time on the road. I know my local tri group does bike fittings for a fee, but I can definitely see the advantages of buying from LBS with the perks. Good info to know about the the Sora and Claris, thanks!
2015-08-18 10:48 AM
in reply to: myarr

User image

Expert
First the good news.... I was able to get out for a short run this morning. It hurt a bit and my knee and shoulder were sore but at least I didn't miss another workout. Also in the good news column - it looks like trek might give me a 30% discount to replace my bike which would be huge. Finally - I got offered a job yesterday. So, I've got that going for me which is nice.

Now the bad news. My knee is still pretty sore so I am hoping to get back on the bike tomorrow at the earlier but my shoulder might make me miss pool workouts until the weekend at least. Also, I discovered that my insurance USAA doesn't cover accidents that weren't caused by another car (next time - I just won't swerve back) but they were kind/ballsy enough to try to sell me more coverage on my wife's wedding rings Finally - the offer from the school is incredibly low - about 1/2 what a public school teacher makes.

Trying to focus on the positive. Accident could have been so much worse.... Just really frustrated!
2015-08-18 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by myarr

$1,400 at the maximum.
I know that's probably not even half of what a lot of people spend on a bike, but it's what I can do.

My road bike was a leftover (old model year) that I picked up for $1000.
My newest bike I got for $1000 also, from Craigslist. It was a couple weeks old, and perfect. The guy just wanted something else.

You can find good deals on bikes. You don't need a fancy bike. Fit is very important.

Alan is spot on (surprise...lol) Look for a bike with full 105 components, and make sure you get fit on it.
Pay NO ATTENTION to weight and frame BS! Ride every single bike you can, and one or two will stand out and make you happy.

DQ-
Tough times man. Hang in there! Glad you are only sore, and not in the Hospital or worse!

Edited by fifthcircle 2015-08-18 2:37 PM

2015-08-18 2:56 PM
in reply to: myarr

User image

Originally posted by myarr I like the idea of waiting until February, but the games are next June and I don't know if that'll give me enough time on the road. I know my local tri group does bike fittings for a fee, but I can definitely see the advantages of buying from LBS with the perks. Good info to know about the the Sora and Claris, thanks!

The only issue with a post-purchase fit is that you might find out that to get a good fit, you need a shorter/longer stem or a seat post with a greater/lesser setback, narrower/wider handlebars etc. If you get the fit done instore when you purchases, the LBS will usually swap out whatever is needed without additional charge. Whereas once you buy the bike and then decide you need a longer stem, for example, you'll be paying for it. 

2015-08-18 3:02 PM
in reply to: Snewo

User image

Originally posted by Snewo Dave Glad to hear you're doing ok. Sorry about your steed. Make sure to post pics of your new baby. Since you need a new helmet it sounds like Alan recommends an aero one.

I should clarify. Aero helmet only if you have aero/tri bars. The main point of my little rant was that a basic road bike with clip-on aero bars and an aero helmet is faster than a fancy TT/Tri bike with a standard helmet. 

In order of how much time saved (most to least):

1. Aero position on the bike (i.e. using aero bars).

2. Aero Helmet

3. Aero Wheels

4. Aero Bike

2015-08-18 8:08 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by myarr I like the idea of waiting until February, but the games are next June and I don't know if that'll give me enough time on the road. I know my local tri group does bike fittings for a fee, but I can definitely see the advantages of buying from LBS with the perks. Good info to know about the the Sora and Claris, thanks!

The only issue with a post-purchase fit is that you might find out that to get a good fit, you need a shorter/longer stem or a seat post with a greater/lesser setback, narrower/wider handlebars etc. If you get the fit done instore when you purchases, the LBS will usually swap out whatever is needed without additional charge. Whereas once you buy the bike and then decide you need a longer stem, for example, you'll be paying for it. 

Bingo. You will drop $ on a stem, a new seat (more than likely). If I had gone to FitWerx here before I bought my bike and got fit on their Retul bike, I wouldn't own the bike I have. It's a nice bike - I really like it, but it's the wrong frame for my build. Most LBS will ask your height and generally tell you what size frame you need. If you're the rare person who is perfectly proportional, that works. I happen to be just about 5'8" so they wanted to put me on a 54cm frame (which I have). However, I have a 33" inseam.... As the FitWerx owner says...you have the torso of a 5'3" person and legs for a 6+ footer. The Felt model I have (F series) is built long and low....see the problem? i now own 3 stems and we're at the max I can have for safety on this bike. I'm close to where he wants me but not spot on. Had I fit my body on the Retul bike, he would have been able to tell me exactly what frames by what manufacturers would work for me and let me select from there. Probably a lot less tweaking from there. Where I originally bought my bike, they did do an initial fitting and did swap out the stem for free for me (and that's now in the junk drawer in my kitchen..).
That all being said, I bought my bike in the spring of 2014 - it is a 2012 model they hadn't moved and I got them to drop the price to where I got it for only $100 more than they originally paid for it. It's a carbon frame with 105 components. (and who knows, maybe I'll sell it in the near future...) There are deals out there! (just make sure it works for you!)

Edited by aviatrix802 2015-08-18 8:09 PM
2015-08-18 8:17 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

First the good news.... I was able to get out for a short run this morning. It hurt a bit and my knee and shoulder were sore but at least I didn't miss another workout. Also in the good news column - it looks like trek might give me a 30% discount to replace my bike which would be huge. Finally - I got offered a job yesterday. So, I've got that going for me which is nice.

Now the bad news. My knee is still pretty sore so I am hoping to get back on the bike tomorrow at the earlier but my shoulder might make me miss pool workouts until the weekend at least. Also, I discovered that my insurance USAA doesn't cover accidents that weren't caused by another car (next time - I just won't swerve back) but they were kind/ballsy enough to try to sell me more coverage on my wife's wedding rings Finally - the offer from the school is incredibly low - about 1/2 what a public school teacher makes.

Trying to focus on the positive. Accident could have been so much worse.... Just really frustrated!

Congrats on the job!! You never know what contacts you'll make and for now it's better to have something than nothing!

Also - so happy you're generally okay and have a few bumps and bruises and road rash to heal up. Painful, but not as much as a car running over you...Gosh I'm happy to hear you're okay. I am so sorry about the bike but it really sounds like Trek is doing right by you!! Wow, great customer service! Roads here have very little if any shoulder, potholes and the speed is 50 mph. I wear a Road ID bracelet now. I may even get them for my kids, just because.
2015-08-18 8:50 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
Hi all!
I was at camp again this past weekend but managed to get at least a short bike in. It was so foggy. I was on the west side of Lake Champlain - couldn't even see Vermont at all but it was good where we were. I started my ride inland and slowly into the fog. Pretty soon even my glasses were fogging up so I turned around and headed back toward the lake and went south for a bit. The roads are a bit sketchy in that direction so after an hour I called it a day. I had hoped to swim in the afternoon but thunderstorms rolled in and that was that. I looked at the calendar and realized we haven't been in our house for a single entire weekend this whole summer! It's been a great and busy summer. It's bittersweet having the kids go back to school next week. (09:00 coffee club has already been set up for day 1....) kidding - I have two appointments on the docket that morning already.

Goals for this week: I got a babysitter (niece is sleeping over) for an ows tomorrow morning followed by a short run. I haven't run since the race and need to get on it.
Also lots of pool swimming when hubby gets home.
Big goal: get up when my alarm goes off for early morning workouts!!

Below is a picture I took on my ride Sunday with the fog burning off.

(Westport fog burning off.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Westport fog burning off.jpg (137KB - 3 downloads)

2015-08-18 9:03 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Oly complete! 3:06. Details later - I'm heading to camp for a Switchback!! And food....I'm hungry..

YEAH!!! Nice work! That Switchback must have been delicious!
2015-08-18 9:05 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida
24 seconds may not sound like much, but reality - 12 minutes and 24 seconds with the bike woes! That's quite an improvement!!! Congrats! 18.9 on the bike - NICE!!!

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi All!! Race was good, bad, and ugly all in one! I posted a race report (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=534870) for anyone who is interested. I beat my time from last year by 20 seconds, but didn,t beat my sister. I learned a solid lesson yesterday about hurrying ending up costing you more time in the end. I didn't put my bike gloves on in T1 to save time. Less than a block from T 1 I tried to put on my gloves while riding, something I pulled off easily in my last race, and lost control of my bike. I managed to stay wheels down, but ended up on the sidewalk, running into the curb (avoiding other racers and a parked car). Blew both tubes and I only had one spare tube. Fortunately, I was only a block from the bike check station and the bike guy saved my race. He changed both my tubes for me and got me back on yhe course in about 12 min (inc the walk back to T1). I rode like heck 18.9mph--a personal best, by far) and ran about 45 sec per mile faster than I'd planned for, but I had my watch set on swimming instead of multisport, so I couldn't pace.

Official time: 2:00:10 (24 sec faster than last year)
Watch/Moving time: 1:51:35 (sister was 1:47:xx and she had a BP run)
2015-08-18 9:07 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
(yes, I'm catching up after 10 days away from the board.)

I havent' forgotten you all, just been soul crushingly busy with work, which will change hopefully soon. I've made the decision to call it quits at the current place of employment after 7+ years, as soon as I find something else. It's been one really bad week after another and it's been getting steadily worse over the past year. Today really confirmed it for me - myself and others have been pushing back at our increasing workloads, basically indicating there's no way we can keep it up. And we all put in nights and weekends and then it got to the point where that wasn't enough to keep up. And now we're getting scolded by management for not keeping up. Today after being scolded by management, I was informed my promotion went through. I wasn't even the least bit happy at my first promotion in 12 years and a decent salary increase. I was a bit mad even - mad that it took so long and that I had to fight for it when it was handed out to everyone else. Mad that it came so late that I'm not even going to stick around for it. Mad that after talking about it in April then it being promised by July, it's almost the end of August.

Anyway I have a race report to post, but I've spent the last few hours catching up here and need to go to bed. Tomorrow there will be a race report.

Edited by firebert 2015-08-18 10:36 PM
2015-08-18 9:11 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
YEAH Dave!!! Congrats on beating your A race!

Totally agree on the expensive bike bit. I had my second tri Sunday and while I did get passed by a couple roadies, for the most part I got passed by tri bikes with full disc rear wheels. Is it me or do they sound like Darth Vader's TIE Fighter when they come up and pass you? Points if they're in an aero helmet and therefore look potentially like an Imperial Guard.

Originally posted by Snewo

Race is in the books!

This was my A race and the one I've been wanting to do for 6 years.

2015-08-18 9:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hi all! I was at camp again this past weekend but managed to get at least a short bike in. It was so foggy. I was on the west side of Lake Champlain - couldn't even see Vermont at all but it was good where we were. I started my ride inland and slowly into the fog. Pretty soon even my glasses were fogging up so I turned around and headed back toward the lake and went south for a bit. The roads are a bit sketchy in that direction so after an hour I called it a day. I had hoped to swim in the afternoon but thunderstorms rolled in and that was that. I looked at the calendar and realized we haven't been in our house for a single entire weekend this whole summer! It's been a great and busy summer. It's bittersweet having the kids go back to school next week. (09:00 coffee club has already been set up for day 1....) kidding - I have two appointments on the docket that morning already. Goals for this week: I got a babysitter (niece is sleeping over) for an ows tomorrow morning followed by a short run. I haven't run since the race and need to get on it. Also lots of pool swimming when hubby gets home. Big goal: get up when my alarm goes off for early morning workouts!! Below is a picture I took on my ride Sunday with the fog burning off.

Wow. What a beautiful view for a ride. Do you have an extra room I can rent? lol. 

2015-08-18 9:21 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Nice job Sandi!!!! faster bike and run, slower swim only because you were stuck in traffic. Sounds like a big win!

BTW I TOTALLY hear you on the AG bit. Mine (M40-45) has been brutal. So far in both my races I've been close to the top 3rd overall, but in my AG I'm bottom 3rd. Dudes my age are just crazy fast. Probably been at it for a while I'm guessing? Either that or they had kids younger than I did and so were able to get an earlier start - lol.

Originally posted by sandishr

I did my second race this weekend as well.

Sandi

Edited by firebert 2015-08-18 9:24 PM
2015-08-18 9:27 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Originally posted by firebert YEAH Dave!!! Congrats on beating your A race! Totally agree on the expensive bike bit. I had my second tri Sunday and while I did get passed by a couple roadies, for the most part I got passed by tri bikes with full disc rear wheels. Is it me or do they sound like Darth Vader's TIE Fighter when they come up and pass you? Points if they're in an aero helmet and therefore look potentially like an Imperial Guard.

lol! I always thought they sounded like bad dubstep. Wub, Wub, Wub, Wub! Definitely a Tie Fighter now that you mention it. 

2015-08-18 9:35 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

DeLand, Florida
Congrats! Read the race report, sounds great! Felt like I was there living it. Love the encouragement bit too for the first timer.

Originally posted by MOlsen

Congratulations to the racers!

I just did another race myself (race report) and despite swimming an extra lap and dropping my bike chain it was a good race. Later in the day I went for a beautiful bike ride through vineyards and ranches. Overall a great weekend.

Recently I switched pools, from a gym on the other side of town to the swim center close to my office. The difference in lunch time crowd is crazy, I used to think the gym's pool was crowded! From what I've heard the morning lap swim block is less crowded, I just need to get myself motivated to go swimming in the morning before work (didn't happen today).

2015-08-18 9:37 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
I love my 8:30pm YMCA swims! JOIN US!!!!

Originally posted by Snewo

Originally posted by MOlsen

Congratulations to the racers!

I just did another race myself (race report) and despite swimming an extra lap and dropping my bike chain it was a good race. Later in the day I went for a beautiful bike ride through vineyards and ranches. Overall a great weekend.

Recently I switched pools, from a gym on the other side of town to the swim center close to my office. The difference in lunch time crowd is crazy, I used to think the gym's pool was crowded! From what I've heard the morning lap swim block is less crowded, I just need to get myself motivated to go swimming in the morning before work (didn't happen today).

You could always come to the dark side (literally). The nighttime swim crowd is empty. My YMCA has the last hour of the pool open for lap swim and there is usually 3 of the 6 lanes that are used.

Not that I'm trying to recruit for team NightOwl, but...JOIN US!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54554 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.