BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2015-01-30 5:32 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Shoulder impingement has led to a visit to the doc today and he gave me a cortisone shot.  Fingers crossed.

2015-01-30 11:09 PM
in reply to: Ted Conroy

User image

Its always doable!
At least the running part!
Most hotels have gyms with at least a treadmill and some have a pool or bike.
I've traveled for my work for the past 6 years and mainly why i never started tri's because taking a bike is too difficult and can't always find a pool. But you can pretty much run everywhere.
I would suggest cycling/swimming more when home and on the road when you can and run as much as possible on the road.
I would always try to run a race everywhere i traveled. Its pretty fun doing that.
I had an apartment in Germany the past 2.5 years and one day i ran in Germany before i went to the airport and then ran in Colorado after i landed. Ran in 2 countries/continents in the same day! Pretty cool!
2015-01-30 11:46 PM

User image

Hope you get well soon! rest and ice!

Some questions i have (i'm sure more down the road)
different sources say different things.

-Will Iook like a retard if i don't have a tri bike OR aerobars, i have a road bike.
-Any recommendations on some wetsuits that don't feel like they are choking you? I kept getting passed last summer by everybody.. as i was one of the only one's without a wetsuit in 65F water. I have one and its real stretchy, doesn't feel too tight, just the neck is so restricting i felt like it was drowning and was freaking out the whole time i tried an open water swim 1 mile and never wore it again.
- nutrition. for those who have done an ironman any suggestions or tips for nutrition?
I did 100 mile ride twice. The first one i didn't really each much until several hours in, and then was fading out at 80 miles where i ate a bag of doritos and was ok to the end. I can imagine running a marathon after a 100 ride though, as cycling is pretty exhausting for me.
On the second 100 miler, I made an effort to really start eating early. Mainly margarita cliff blocks, and when we stop (3x at gas stations) had a few protein bars. ( i think i did 1200 calls total, which is a lot for me as i don't really get hungry until after riding/running/races, then i'm ravenous) about 93 miles in I had this sudden thought "I need to get off my bike right now"
Told my friend at the moment, " I think i just need a big bag of candy and i'll be ok"
He made me pull over and eat one of his gels and i ate my last few blocks, before i passed out or wrecked.
was kinda funny for me because i was totally fine and then SUDDENLY it happened. My friend said thats the wall or something. In running the wall is little different and you don't eat as much.

I'd be interested to hear what others do who have done an ironman. Because its hard to eat too much while running. I only eat maybe 600 calls max during a marathon.. So i'm just worried about Bonking.
How do you carry enough food on your bike? Do they have food at aid stations and what is typical?

I also have a salt problem but have found a drink that has a lot of salt in it and the margarita blocks. I think i took in 6000 mg of salt during my half ironman. This worked well for me. If i don't take in enough salt i get a headache that turns to a migraine and nausea that won't go away until i sleep and the next day.

I"m sure i'll more questions along the way.
2015-01-31 8:15 AM

User image

Good morning...a few training questions...when looking at the BT Half IM program,

-The typical Sunday training is a long Ride at an easy pace...if we were to make that in terms of heart rate, what would it be?

-90% of the workouts during the week have Swim/Bike on the same day...due to time constraints, it is easiest for me to train Swim/Run one after another at the gym (winter weather in Canada is not favourable for outdoor training) and my cycling work would be done at home on the trainer, does this switch have any negative impacts?

-Lastly, it is also easiest for me to switch Thursday Long Run to a weekend long run and Sunday long ride to Thursday on the trainer, would this cause any issues? (I am assuming that the importance is getting the training in and not so much the day in which we do them but just want to be sure.)
2015-01-31 8:23 AM
in reply to: kevinbourque

User image

Master
South Florida
Easy long training = zone 2
Originally posted by kevinbourqueGood morning...a few training questions...when looking at the BT Half IM program, -The typical Sunday training is a long Ride at an easy pace...if we were to make that in terms of heart rate, what would it be?-90% of the workouts during the week have Swim/Bike on the same day...due to time constraints, it is easiest for me to train Swim/Run one after another at the gym (winter weather in Canada is not favourable for outdoor training) and my cycling work would be done at home on the trainer, does this switch have any negative impacts?-Lastly, it is also easiest for me to switch Thursday Long Run to a weekend long run and Sunday long ride to Thursday on the trainer, would this cause any issues? (I am assuming that the importance is getting the training in and not so much the day in which we do them but just want to be sure.)
2015-01-31 10:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by kevinbourque
-The typical Sunday training is a long Ride at an easy pace...if we were to make that in terms of heart rate, what would it be?

I am new too the Triathlete community too and have never used "zones" before. I know that I am at an easy pace if I can easily talk to other people while I am riding. I know I am at a hard pace when I am breathing hard and I can only get out one word at a time to communicate basic things like Turn...(huff..huff huff)...here...(huff...huff.huff). I also know I am at an easy or a hard pace by how much I am sweating. "Easy" I may never break a sweat and "hard" I may be working up quite a good sweat. The burn in my legs also is a clue. At and easy pace I may feel no burn and at a hard pace I may feel the burn coming on. Listening to my body is what makes most scene to me but your question was heart rate.

Heart rates change with age so there is no heart rated for everyone. If you are 20 years old your 85% of your max HR (i.e. race pace, zone #???) will be around 178, your 75% (Hard work out, ZONE #???) will be around 157, your 65% (easy work out, ZONE #???) will be at around 136, and your 55% (cool down walk, ZONE #???) will be about 115. Those same number for a 40 year old would be 153, 134, 177, 99, and for a 60 year old 136, 120, 104, 88. I think this is the reason that you see easy, moderate, hard (or similar) on training plans and never target heart rates.
-90% of the workouts during the week have Swim/Bike on the same day...due to time constraints, it is easiest for me to train Swim/Run one after another at the gym (winter weather in Canada is not favorable for outdoor training) and my cycling work would be done at home on the trainer, does this switch have any negative impacts?

-Lastly, it is also easiest for me to switch Thursday Long Run to a weekend long run and Sunday long ride to Thursday on the trainer, would this cause any issues? (I am assuming that the importance is getting the training in and not so much the day in which we do them but just want to be sure.)

When I look at a cookie cutter training plan I take all the workouts for a week and then move them around to where they fit my schedule. For example I don't train on Sundays, so if they have Thursday as a rest day then I start by moving that to Sunday. I am guessing that there is some rhyme and reason that goes into picking what disciplines are placed where in the cookie cutter plan, but if you talk to 100 athletes you will probably get 100 different training plans and would be able to find about every combination possible to fill a schedule. Do all the work outs on the schedule every week and you will be ready for your race regardless of what order you complete them in.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-01-31 11:01 AM

2015-01-31 3:36 PM
in reply to: marathongirl21

User image

Extreme Veteran

MarathonGirl, Keven, I'll offer my thoughts; Jim and others may disagree on some points and I'm happy to discuss....

-Will Iook like a retard if i don't have a tri bike OR aerobars, i have a road bike. 

No/Don't worry about it. You will be giving up 1-2mph. Clip-on aerobars can get you close for ~$100. With clip-ons or a TT (tri) bike, fit is key. It's usually worth the seemingly high price tag to get a professional fit.

-Any recommendations on some wetsuits that don't feel like they are choking you? I kept getting passed last summer by everybody.. as i was one of the only one's without a wetsuit in 65F water. I have one and its real stretchy, doesn't feel too tight, just the neck is so restricting i felt like it was drowning and was freaking out the whole time i tried an open water swim 1 mile and never wore it again. 

Obviously the fit will be quite personal, so a wetsuit that works well for me might choke you. Sometimes you can/should adjust how it's sitting on you to get it off your neck. Also, just in case, it should be a tri-specific wetsuit; you really don't want to swim in a regular one.

- nutrition. for those who have done an ironman any suggestions or tips for nutrition? 
I did 100 mile ride twice. The first one i didn't really each much until several hours in, and then was fading out at 80 miles where i ate a bag of doritos and was ok to the end. I can imagine running a marathon after a 100 ride though, as cycling is pretty exhausting for me. 
On the second 100 miler, I made an effort to really start eating early. Mainly margarita cliff blocks, and when we stop (3x at gas stations) had a few protein bars. ( i think i did 1200 calls total, which is a lot for me as i don't really get hungry until after riding/running/races, then i'm ravenous) about 93 miles in I had this sudden thought "I need to get off my bike right now" 
Told my friend at the moment, " I think i just need a big bag of candy and i'll be ok" 
He made me pull over and eat one of his gels and i ate my last few blocks, before i passed out or wrecked. 
was kinda funny for me because i was totally fine and then SUDDENLY it happened. My friend said thats the wall or something. In running the wall is little different and you don't eat as much. 

I'd be interested to hear what others do who have done an ironman. Because its hard to eat too much while running. I only eat maybe 600 calls max during a marathon.. So i'm just worried about Bonking. 
How do you carry enough food on your bike? Do they have food at aid stations and what is typical?

This is almost as personal as the wetsuit, and you should practice your race nutrition multiple times, especially on your most race specific workouts around 7-3 weeks outs. Don't compare too much to your stand-alone marathon... an IM is much lower intensity, so your body can send more blood to your stomach to digest (and going too hard in an IM -> not being able to process nutrition -> GI issues or running out of fuel is one of the most common causes of underperformance). Also, as you found out on those rides, you need to supplement your stored glycogen to get through an 8-17 hour day. So, start trying to take in 2-300 calories/hr on your long rides and see how it feels. Try a mix of sportsdrink (if you can use what they're serving on course, it will make your life a lot easier), gels/blocks, and if you want some real food (I like Clif Kids z-bars, sometimes something salty like pretzels is nice to break up the sugar taste... you're looking for mostly carbs with some protein and minimal fat and fiber [although a study just showed raisins are as effective as shotblocks at moderate intensity]). It will probably be hard to keep eating during your IM marathon, but it's very important. Most people seem to drop their hourly calories by about 1/3 from bike to run. Lots has been written on this, and I'm sure we'll continue to discuss it over the course of the season. The main thing is to experiment in training. 

Yes they'll have food at aid stations, you can and should find out soon what will be offered where. On training rides, bento boxes are nice and it's amazing how many calories you can fit in jersey pockets.

Zone 2/conversational pace is a reasonable suggestion. Early in the season/when you're working on pushing your endurance envelope, it might be zone 1 or move from 1 to 2 over the course of the ride. Once you've established sufficient endurance for the race, you might put some zone 3 or hill climbing into it. Also, learn to listen to your body and err on the side of lower intensity. Gordo Byrn's 4 pillars is my favorite writing on this topic... I recommend reading it over and over until you've fully internalized it.

You can estimate your training zones just based on your age, but at some point it will be worthwhile to test your functional threshold and calculate zones from that. Here's a protocol, and you can then use BT's zones calculator. 

-90% of the workouts during the week have Swim/Bike on the same day...due to time constraints, it is easiest for me to train Swim/Run one after another at the gym (winter weather in Canada is not favourable for outdoor training) and my cycling work would be done at home on the trainer, does this switch have any negative impacts? 

-Lastly, it is also easiest for me to switch Thursday Long Run to a weekend long run and Sunday long ride to Thursday on the trainer, would this cause any issues? (I am assuming that the importance is getting the training in and not so much the day in which we do them but just want to be sure.)

Those two are related, so I'll answer them together. As much as possible, try to separate (in decreasing priority) your most challenging workouts (of which there should only be a few in a week), your same-sport workouts, and your non-swim workouts. So your long run and ride switch is no problem. It's not ideal to do swim and bike or run workouts back to back... you'll lose a little quality in one or both, but it's not a huge deal, and hey, we have lives that tri has to fit into. 

2015-01-31 5:43 PM
in reply to: Ted Conroy

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Ted Conroy
Originally posted by momandmd
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Any fun things coming up for the weekend for folks?

I'm planning on a 6 mile run Saturday, followed by a 20+ hour trip to Qatar .
I'm going to be traveling 3 out of 4 weeks next month for work. How do you keep up with your training while on the road?

I do travel a lot and it has a tendency to derail my training, but I'm getting better . Planing is key. I usually try to plan for lighter volume weeks when I'm traveling, especially if it's more than a couple of days, and I'll plan my rest or easy days for when I'm away.  I also scope out the hotels and try to choose ones with good (decent) gyms if I don't think I can get outside (I travel light so especially winter time I usually run in the gym).  I do love to run outside when the weather is decent.  I'm not planning to in Qatar as I'm not sure how socially acceptable running clothes are on women there.  I tend to do either easy runs or interval runs while I'm away- interval training is nice and efficient and works well on a treadmill.  I'll also prioritize strength training since hotels tend to have a decent selection of weights.  Bikes are plus/minus- half the time it's a recumbent bike, which makes me very sad.  I also tend not to rely on hotel pools- inevitably they are about 10 feet long, so you are swimming like a hamster on a wheel, and occupied by herds of small children splashing and jumping on top of you.  I can usually fit in workouts in the morning (less fun when I'm traveling east from Denver), or in the afternoon between meetings and dinner.  In the worst case, I'll do 15 minutes of yoga and core work in the room.  

I got my 6 miles in this morning, but probably won't get anything done until Monday since I get to Doha at 9 pm tomorrow!

2015-01-31 5:45 PM
in reply to: momandmd

User image

Expert

Marathongirl- I think there are some places where you can rent wetsuits, so you could try out a few to see which ones work best.  I hate that feeling too- I have a BlueSeventy and it's not too bad.

2015-01-31 6:46 PM
in reply to: #5075376

User image

Thanks everyone. Everything is going to be 5+ days, sandwiched into a 3 week window. The joys of tech! Looking forward to the delicate dance of training and traveling.

Jim, how'd the shoulder turn out?
2015-01-31 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Originally posted by jfought

Hope you have room for one more

NAME: Jayne Fought

STORY: I'm 48 and recently moved from the flatlands of Northern Indiana to the magnificent mountains of Western North Carolina (Brevard). 

CURRENT TRAINING: HIM or bust

Nice to have you join us Jayne.  Congrats on the BT BF

Your congrats are to him, right? 

2015-01-31 10:30 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
My long ride (which was only a little over 30 miles since I have only been training for a few weeks) went much better than my (12 mile) ride two days ago. I did a 15 mile out and back twice. The first out and back I averaged 17.1 MPH and the 2nd out and back I average 17.5 mph. After my ride two days ago I moved the seat back as far as it would go (about 3"). That kept my legs from feeling cramped in space, and I didn't have any burn in the quads during the ride. I also move the arm pad on the aero bars about 2-3 inches further apart to where they are now just a little narrower than my shoulders (rather than at the width of my fists like before). That seemed to help a lot with the handling of the bike. Before every time I would shoulder check it would change the center of balance of the bike enough to cause me to swerve side to side. Today it seemed a lot more stable.

I ran one mile off the bike at a 6:45 pace. I about fell over the first few steps off the bike, but after a 1/2 mile the run felt like something I could do for 13.1 miles. :-)

Note: My average heart rate was significantly lower on the 2nd 15 miles than the first 15 miles even though I was faster on the 2nd half of the ride. I did lower gearing on the 2nd half because my legs weren't as fresh. I will be experiment more with the easier setting to see what it does to my HR and MPH (any advise on what is best here?)

Note: I had no problem staying in the aero position the whole ride. The only time I came out was to maneuver sharp tuns and on 2-3 inclines to put more power to the pedals. My knees would hit my chest if I bent too far forward i the aero position but that really didn't seem to be a problem since they just glazed my chest and it only happened 3-4 time the whole 30 miles..

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-01-31 10:59 PM
2015-02-01 1:53 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marathongirl21 Hope you get well soon! rest and ice! Some questions i have (i'm sure more down the road) different sources say different things. -Will Iook like a retard if i don't have a tri bike OR aerobars, i have a road bike. -Any recommendations on some wetsuits that don't feel like they are choking you? I kept getting passed last summer by everybody.. as i was one of the only one's without a wetsuit in 65F water. I have one and its real stretchy, doesn't feel too tight, just the neck is so restricting i felt like it was drowning and was freaking out the whole time i tried an open water swim 1 mile and never wore it again. - nutrition. for those who have done an ironman any suggestions or tips for nutrition? I did 100 mile ride twice. The first one i didn't really each much until several hours in, and then was fading out at 80 miles where i ate a bag of doritos and was ok to the end. I can imagine running a marathon after a 100 ride though, as cycling is pretty exhausting for me. On the second 100 miler, I made an effort to really start eating early. Mainly margarita cliff blocks, and when we stop (3x at gas stations) had a few protein bars. ( i think i did 1200 calls total, which is a lot for me as i don't really get hungry until after riding/running/races, then i'm ravenous) about 93 miles in I had this sudden thought "I need to get off my bike right now" Told my friend at the moment, " I think i just need a big bag of candy and i'll be ok" He made me pull over and eat one of his gels and i ate my last few blocks, before i passed out or wrecked. was kinda funny for me because i was totally fine and then SUDDENLY it happened. My friend said thats the wall or something. In running the wall is little different and you don't eat as much. I'd be interested to hear what others do who have done an ironman. Because its hard to eat too much while running. I only eat maybe 600 calls max during a marathon.. So i'm just worried about Bonking. How do you carry enough food on your bike? Do they have food at aid stations and what is typical? I also have a salt problem but have found a drink that has a lot of salt in it and the margarita blocks. I think i took in 6000 mg of salt during my half ironman. This worked well for me. If i don't take in enough salt i get a headache that turns to a migraine and nausea that won't go away until i sleep and the next day. I"m sure i'll more questions along the way.

Mike already addressed some of this but I'll add a bit.  When it comes to long distance racing you cannot wait until your body tells you that it needs energy before you start giving it energy.  If you wait too long it will be too late.  In an IM you may wait 10 min or so to let your body get used to the transition from the swim to the bike and then start feeding but once you start you need to keep taking in calories on a frequent and regular basis.  Figure out what your stomach can handle as far as calories per hour and divide that up into 10 or 15 minute blocks and be sure to eat in each of those blocks.  For my IM racing I have settled on the following schedule per hour on the bike: 

24 fluid oz of Skratch Lab drink (2.75 scoops of Skratch per bottle)(sip approx. every 10 min)
1 GU (take in at 0:15 of the hour)
Saltstick cap (take in at 0:30 of the hour)
1/4 Powerbar (take in at 0:45 of the hour)
16 oz extra water

I carry all my GUs and Powerbars in my Darkspeed bento box on the top bar.  I don't like the Perfrom energy drink that has been served in most IM races the past few years so I started using Skratch Labs.  Some people will cringe about all the weight I carry but I carry 3 bottles of Skratch for the first half and then stop at special needs and get another 3 bottles that I have put in my special needs bag.  I also have a on XLab Torpedo between the arm bottle that I have water in and which I top off at every aid station.  IM has now switched to Gatorade Endurance so if you prefer that you can live off the course and have fewer bottles on your bike. 

It sounds like you have modified your calorie intake frequency on the bike...you don't want to wait until several hours in to start feeding.  And I would probably lay off the protein bars...you want carbs and not a lot of other stuff that is harder to digest and assimilate.

Wetsuits are a very individual thing and you just have to try a few brands/models on until you find one that fits your body and pocketbook.  Most are going to be fairly snug so you are just going to have to get acclimated to it during training.  We had a clip-on aerobar discussion a few pages back that should give you some good info.

2015-02-01 1:59 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BlueBoy26 My long ride (which was only a little over 30 miles since I have only been training for a few weeks) went much better than my (12 mile) ride two days ago. I did a 15 mile out and back twice. The first out and back I averaged 17.1 MPH and the 2nd out and back I average 17.5 mph. After my ride two days ago I moved the seat back as far as it would go (about 3"). That kept my legs from feeling cramped in space, and I didn't have any burn in the quads during the ride. I also move the arm pad on the aero bars about 2-3 inches further apart to where they are now just a little narrower than my shoulders (rather than at the width of my fists like before). That seemed to help a lot with the handling of the bike. Before every time I would shoulder check it would change the center of balance of the bike enough to cause me to swerve side to side. Today it seemed a lot more stable. I ran one mile off the bike at a 6:45 pace. I about fell over the first few steps off the bike, but after a 1/2 mile the run felt like something I could do for 13.1 miles. :-) Note: My average heart rate was significantly lower on the 2nd 15 miles than the first 15 miles even though I was faster on the 2nd half of the ride. I did lower gearing on the 2nd half because my legs weren't as fresh. I will be experiment more with the easier setting to see what it does to my HR and MPH (any advise on what is best here?) Note: I had no problem staying in the aero position the whole ride. The only time I came out was to maneuver sharp tuns and on 2-3 inclines to put more power to the pedals. My knees would hit my chest if I bent too far forward i the aero position but that really didn't seem to be a problem since they just glazed my chest and it only happened 3-4 time the whole 30 miles..

Nice job on the second ride.  Until you get more experience I would keep the pace of your runs off the bike a little easier.  As your race approaches you can work in some faster runs of the bike in your key race prep workouts.  Your rpms on the first half of the bike may have been too low and you may have been mashing a little more than you should (hence the higher HR ?)   Many people prefer to ride at about 90 rpm, although I usually find myself at the 82-84 end of the spectrum. 

2015-02-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

I have my traditional start of season Redondo Beach SuperBowl 10K on Sun. I love this race since it was really the first one I took seriously 2 years ago. I have been able to better my PR each year, 49.37, 45:33 and shooting for low 43s. It's a pretty hilly course so always a little hard to figure out pace. Based on calculators I should be able to break 43 but will be happy with anything below 44. Have not been doing much speed work so just want to play it a bit safe and keep healthy. Best part is that Michelob is the sponsor and they have great beer garden after. Weather should be perfect.

Very happy with result, new PR 42:57 and didn't push too hard so stayed healthy. Top 10 in AG. Now time for beer and chile and some football.
2015-02-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: momandmd

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Ted Conroy

I'm planning on a 6 mile run Saturday, followed by a 20+ hour trip to Qatar .
I'm going to be traveling 3 out of 4 weeks next month for work. How do you keep up with your training while on the road?

I do travel a lot and it has a tendency to derail my training, but I'm getting better . Planing is key. I usually try to plan for lighter volume weeks when I'm traveling, especially if it's more than a couple of days, and I'll plan my rest or easy days for when I'm away.  I also scope out the hotels and try to choose ones with good (decent) gyms if I don't think I can get outside (I travel light so especially winter time I usually run in the gym).  I do love to run outside when the weather is decent.  I'm not planning to in Qatar as I'm not sure how socially acceptable running clothes are on women there.  I tend to do either easy runs or interval runs while I'm away- interval training is nice and efficient and works well on a treadmill.  I'll also prioritize strength training since hotels tend to have a decent selection of weights.  Bikes are plus/minus- half the time it's a recumbent bike, which makes me very sad.  I also tend not to rely on hotel pools- inevitably they are about 10 feet long, so you are swimming like a hamster on a wheel, and occupied by herds of small children splashing and jumping on top of you.  I can usually fit in workouts in the morning (less fun when I'm traveling east from Denver), or in the afternoon between meetings and dinner.  In the worst case, I'll do 15 minutes of yoga and core work in the room.  

I got my 6 miles in this morning, but probably won't get anything done until Monday since I get to Doha at 9 pm tomorrow!

Here's a good article I came across a few years ago with some good tips on training and nutrition while travelling

2015-02-01 2:34 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Pro

I have my traditional start of season Redondo Beach SuperBowl 10K on Sun. I love this race since it was really the first one I took seriously 2 years ago. I have been able to better my PR each year, 49.37, 45:33 and shooting for low 43s. It's a pretty hilly course so always a little hard to figure out pace. Based on calculators I should be able to break 43 but will be happy with anything below 44. Have not been doing much speed work so just want to play it a bit safe and keep healthy. Best part is that Michelob is the sponsor and they have great beer garden after. Weather should be perfect.
Very happy with result, new PR 42:57 and didn't push too hard so stayed healthy. Top 10 in AG. Now time for beer and chile and some football.

Nice job Steve!!  Glad the hamstring gave you no issues

2015-02-01 5:29 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Nice job on the second ride.  Until you get more experience I would keep the pace of your runs off the bike a little easier.  As your race approaches you can work in some faster runs of the bike in your key race prep workouts.  Your rpms on the first half of the bike may have been too low and you may have been mashing a little more than you should (hence the higher HR ?)   Many people prefer to ride at about 90 rpm, although I usually find myself at the 82-84 end of the spectrum. 

I wasn't going for speed off the bike. I was just trying focusing on form so that I didn't fall over and trying to work cramps out.

Over my last two long rides I have counted cycles per minute several times at points in the ride where I was on flat ground and moving and what felt like an ideal pace. I was in the low to mid 80"s on all of them. It looks like right now I too am in the 82-84 range, but this week I may try one short ride in the 82-84 range and another at 90 RPM range to see how they compare. I do think that lower RPM may have been the reason for the lower speed and and higher HR on Saturday.

Note: When I did the cycling Merit Badge as a scout I had a paper route that covered about 6 miles to deliver every. I would carry all the newspapers on the handle bars of my bike which gave my another 35-50 lbs so my legs were used to putting in a lot of power. During our 25 miles rides with the Boy Scouts I noticed that the other Scouts did about twice as many RPM as I did. I have skinnier legs now than when I was delivering newspapers noticed that I do a lot higher RPM now. I may need to do some re-training for 90's RPM's if I consistently get high speed and lower HR at the higher RPM though.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-02-02 8:56 AM
2015-02-02 1:32 AM

User image

Thanks for all the tips so far.
I do have a bento box, but i don't see how you can really carry enough in it? Do you wear a bike jersey to put stuff in your pockets as well?
I"m thinking if i need to wear my running belt on the bike to be able to carry enough nutrition.

So another question. Do you actually stop during the ride on the ironman? Do people hold out gu's and bars for you to grab as well?
or do people hold out your special needs bag and you grab it and unpack it riding (I cannot do this!) I can barely grab a water from people, i still miss sometimes and i'm concerned about this, it will be august and hot and not sure how long i'll have to wait again to attempt to grab a water. i can only carry 2 bottles, 1 big and 1 smaller (small frame a 2nd larger won't fit)
Also if they hand out gu or etc. is it at the same time as water. I know many are talented and grab two things at once and ride without using hands, i can't do this.
One race they had the turn around at the top of the hill and were handing out water/gatorade before you turned a few feet later... i knew there is no way i can grab something and turn a few feet later trying to use my brakes and then head downhill... so i just skipped it.

i have seen people carry bottles on the back but i don't think i could grab one if i did have them there unless i stopped.
Also i've seen the special bottle between the aerobars (which i don't have yet. and am concerned of actually being able to balance in that position without falling over)

i'm not sure if it was a protein bar i ate, it was the snickers brand marathon bar.

Can you explain logistically how you top off your bottle at aid stations? Do you actually get off your bike?
I've seen/heard in some races you toss your own bottles and they give you new one's, or do you stop and get off and fill up your own?
During "rides" obviously you stop, pee, etc.
Aren't your 3 bottles of scratch hot and disgusting when you get them?
I find most times anything i leave at transition is hot and gross and i can't drink it, even the gu's are too hot.

Speaking of urination, i obviously will check the boulder website but are there porta potty's usually? I know people pee on their bikes, but i'm a girl and i don't care about winning anything and could never relax enough to do that. The bike may take me 8 hours, its Boulder and 5500 ft of elevation gain, heck it may take me longer :/

Sorry if i sound like a total retard. I've done the HIM but a full IM is just a freaking big deal in my mind!

On a side note, what motivated me was last year watching the marathon portion of the Frankfurt ironman, i saw a man with one arm, HOW he swam 2.4 miles with one arm (cut off right below the shoulder) totally gets me, and then ride that far and then run a marathon. I thought if he can do it, i can do it.
I thought Someday....

2015-02-02 7:27 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

So....you are smart to be thinking about all this!! Nutrition can make or break your race.  Now is the time to start trying things out and to use it in your training!!  You must practice this!  

For me, I keep it simple with Infinit Nutrition (custom formula) and Gels.  I learned I don't 1. tolerate solids when racing and 2. want to be bothered with anything. I like to keep it simple.  BUT, plenty of people will have a feast on the bike and that is ok  I keep a coke and payday bar, advil and tums in special needs for an emergency but don't usually stop unless I am dying.  However, special needs is sort of a mini goal for some - it can break up the race and give you something to look forward to!  It really depends on your goals for the race and your comfort level. 

The more time you spend on your bike, the more comfortable you will get with drinking from an aero bottle, taking food in on the bike, etc.  You can get a rear bottle mount for behind the seat to hold 2 bottles and then one on your frame.  You can stop at aid stations or slow down and grab a bottle.  I usually just grab water and squeeze it into the aerobottle. I don't rely on the course at all, except for water and then on the run if I need something extra I have that.  If you rely on the course for your nutrition, be sure you know what they are serving and use that in your training  

There will be porta potties at various locations, yes- usually at the bottle drops.  I have learned to pee myself.  Ewww...I know...but again, depends on your goals for the race  

Cool you are doing Boulder! That will be a beautiful race.  Feel free to "inspire me' with questions...I am not an expert but have done 4 IMs and made all the mistakes  And of course Jim is the bomb dot com so his input is invaluable!  

Originally posted by marathongirl21 Thanks for all the tips so far. I do have a bento box, but i don't see how you can really carry enough in it? Do you wear a bike jersey to put stuff in your pockets as well? I"m thinking if i need to wear my running belt on the bike to be able to carry enough nutrition. So another question. Do you actually stop during the ride on the ironman? Do people hold out gu's and bars for you to grab as well? or do people hold out your special needs bag and you grab it and unpack it riding (I cannot do this!) I can barely grab a water from people, i still miss sometimes and i'm concerned about this, it will be august and hot and not sure how long i'll have to wait again to attempt to grab a water. i can only carry 2 bottles, 1 big and 1 smaller (small frame a 2nd larger won't fit) Also if they hand out gu or etc. is it at the same time as water. I know many are talented and grab two things at once and ride without using hands, i can't do this. One race they had the turn around at the top of the hill and were handing out water/gatorade before you turned a few feet later... i knew there is no way i can grab something and turn a few feet later trying to use my brakes and then head downhill... so i just skipped it. i have seen people carry bottles on the back but i don't think i could grab one if i did have them there unless i stopped. Also i've seen the special bottle between the aerobars (which i don't have yet. and am concerned of actually being able to balance in that position without falling over) i'm not sure if it was a protein bar i ate, it was the snickers brand marathon bar. Can you explain logistically how you top off your bottle at aid stations? Do you actually get off your bike? I've seen/heard in some races you toss your own bottles and they give you new one's, or do you stop and get off and fill up your own? During "rides" obviously you stop, pee, etc. Aren't your 3 bottles of scratch hot and disgusting when you get them? I find most times anything i leave at transition is hot and gross and i can't drink it, even the gu's are too hot. Speaking of urination, i obviously will check the boulder website but are there porta potty's usually? I know people pee on their bikes, but i'm a girl and i don't care about winning anything and could never relax enough to do that. The bike may take me 8 hours, its Boulder and 5500 ft of elevation gain, heck it may take me longer :/ Sorry if i sound like a total retard. I've done the HIM but a full IM is just a freaking big deal in my mind! On a side note, what motivated me was last year watching the marathon portion of the Frankfurt ironman, i saw a man with one arm, HOW he swam 2.4 miles with one arm (cut off right below the shoulder) totally gets me, and then ride that far and then run a marathon. I thought if he can do it, i can do it. I thought Someday....

2015-02-02 8:41 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marathongirl21 Thanks for all the tips so far. I do have a bento box, but i don't see how you can really carry enough in it? Do you wear a bike jersey to put stuff in your pockets as well? I"m thinking if i need to wear my running belt on the bike to be able to carry enough nutrition.

Not sure what brand of bento box you have but maybe its a little small and you should explore other options? I can fit quite a bit in my Darkspeed bento.  I usually have 6 GUs, a Powerbar and a small sandwich bag with my Saltstick caps in it.  It is a little cramped to begin with but once you start eating stuff the volume decreases.  You can also tape GUs on to your bike's top tube.  If you wear a bike jersey you can put other things in the pockets, including empty GU packs or wrappers once you eat things.  You cannot litter on the course (DQ by rules) but you can throw stuff away at aid stations.  I wouldn't wear a running belt on the bike because you really don't need to be carrying all that much...try to get a good percentage of your calories in liquid form. 

So another question. Do you actually stop during the ride on the ironman? Do people hold out gu's and bars for you to grab as well? or do people hold out your special needs bag and you grab it and unpack it riding (I cannot do this!) I can barely grab a water from people, i still miss sometimes and i'm concerned about this, it will be august and hot and not sure how long i'll have to wait again to attempt to grab a water. i can only carry 2 bottles, 1 big and 1 smaller (small frame a 2nd larger won't fit) Also if they hand out gu or etc. is it at the same time as water. I know many are talented and grab two things at once and ride without using hands, i can't do this. One race they had the turn around at the top of the hill and were handing out water/gatorade before you turned a few feet later... i knew there is no way i can grab something and turn a few feet later trying to use my brakes and then head downhill... so i just skipped it.

I doubt you will encounter a sharp U turn right after an aid station at any IM brand race.  Be sure to check the athlete's guide (the post it 4-6 weeks prior to race but they still have last year's posted and it likely won't change much except IM has switched back to Gatorade this year) for what they will serve at aid stations.  You can discard empty bottles at the beginning of the aid station...they usually have hockey nets set up so you can practice your bottle throwing goal scoring   Most importantly....SLOW DOWN prior to the aid station.  Its a long day and taking adequate time for aid stations isn't going to affect your race in the big picture and it ensures you get the things you need and its easier to grab bottles.  They rely on volunteers and their ability to properly hand off bottles will vary but most are pretty good at it once they get the hang of it.  There is a progression of what they offer as you go through the aid station.  Last year Boulder offered IRONMAN Perform, Water, Bananas, Bonk Breaker Bars, GU Original Energy Gels, Roctane Ultra Endurance Gels, and GU Chomps every 15 miles on the bike.  Aid stations are very long.  The first few volunteers will usually have water to hand off and the next volunteers will have energy drink, then another set of water volunteers and then another set of energy drink volunteers.  There will be GU and energy gel/bar volunteers mixed in for certain zones.  So, there are multiple chances to get what you need so don't freak out if you miss the first bottle handoff.  Ideally you could grab a GU, slam it down your throat, then grab a water to wash it down.  Again....GO SLOW but keep moving so you don't crash into others.  Do not try to ride without holding on to handlebars!!!   Never assume a rider in front of you is going to do the logical thing and ride straight...people do stupid things in aid stations so constantly be vigilant about who is around you and how fast you and others are going.  If you are totally intimidated then pull off to the side, get out of the way, and simply STOP and get what you need.  Do not skip an aid station.  Most aerobottles that are attached to your bike will have a fill opening where you can put the top of the water bottle into the opening and squeeze water into it to refill it.  The openings have flexible material (and/or mesh spongy thingees) that reduce/prevent splashing of water out of the bottle.  After the aid station there is one last chance to discard any empty bottles you have.

For special needs bags they have a volunteer set up before the bag pickup to check your race bib number and then they will yell down the line what your race number is so other volunteers can grab your bag and get it ready for you.  Since I pick up new energy drink bottles I will actually stop.  To me its worth it because I get the energy drink I prefer...although with the switch to Gatorad I may change that strategy.  If you put things in your bag that you HAVE to have then stop and get them...its too tricky to try to grab the bag while riding, then get what you need, then discard the bag before the aid station has ended.  Stopping for a minute is not going to affect your time much in the big picture and it will ensure a successful race if you get what you need. 

i have seen people carry bottles on the back but i don't think i could grab one if i did have them there unless i stopped. Also i've seen the special bottle between the aerobars (which i don't have yet. and am concerned of actually being able to balance in that position without falling over) i'm not sure if it was a protein bar i ate, it was the snickers brand marathon bar. Can you explain logistically how you top off your bottle at aid stations? Do you actually get off your bike? I've seen/heard in some races you toss your own bottles and they give you new one's, or do you stop and get off and fill up your own? During "rides" obviously you stop, pee, etc.

If you want to carry several bottles then you will need either an extra aero bottle between your aerobars and/or bottles mounted behind your seat.  I have both.  I use my XLab Torpedo between my aerobars for water.  I love it.  Its easy to refill, it is securely mounted, I can mount my bike computer on it so I can easily read my power reading without moving my head, the straw is very well placed and it tucks down under a clip when not in use to its not in your face at all.   I like between the arm aerobottles because its constantly there in front of you and reminds you to DRINK...its amazing how easy it is to get caught up in pedaling and you forget to drink.  I have my Garmin 910 set up to beep every 10 minutes to remind me to drink.  I explained topping off water bottles above.  The key is to go slow enough to be able to grab the bottle from the volunteer, then quickly put the top of the bottle into the aerobar opening and squeeze as quickly and as hard as you can.  It may take a couple squeezes to get the bottle contents into your aerobottle.  If this intimidates you then simply practice it in the weeks before the race.

Aren't your 3 bottles of scratch hot and disgusting when you get them? I find most times anything i leave at transition is hot and gross and i can't drink it, even the gu's are too hot. Speaking of urination, i obviously will check the boulder website but are there porta potty's usually? I know people pee on their bikes, but i'm a girl and i don't care about winning anything and could never relax enough to do that.

I mix my energy bottles the night before and put them in the 'frige so that they are cold when I drop them off at the bike special needs dropoff on race morning.  I'm not out there long enough for them to get super hot.  If this is a concern for you, you might try freezing them the night before and if its a while before you get them during the race they won't be as warm.   All aid stations have a few port pottys available.   I pee on the bike myself.  During IM WI in 2006 it was so cold and rainy that I actually looked forward to peeing on myself so that my legs got some temporary warmth

The bike may take me 8 hours, its Boulder and 5500 ft of elevation gain, heck it may take me longer :/ Sorry if i sound like a total retard. I've done the HIM but a full IM is just a freaking big deal in my mind! On a side note, what motivated me was last year watching the marathon portion of the Frankfurt ironman, i saw a man with one arm, HOW he swam 2.4 miles with one arm (cut off right below the shoulder) totally gets me, and then ride that far and then run a marathon. I thought if he can do it, i can do it. I thought Someday....

You don't sound like a retard.  The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked.

2015-02-02 6:32 PM

User image

Pro

Cortisone shot in the shoulder didn't work its magic over the weekend.  Doc has scheduled an MRI for Wednesday to see what's going on.  I ain't got time for this!  Vent over.

2015-02-02 10:33 PM

User image

Cortisone shot in the shoulder didn't work its magic over the weekend.  Doc has scheduled an MRI for Wednesday to see what's going on.  I ain't got time for this!  Vent over.

Total bummer. Good luck with the MRI
2015-02-03 8:05 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Yes Jim, hope you get it sorted soon, must be frustrating not being able to workout as you like and have planned.

I have a 10k this weekend and I'm hoping I can break 40 minutes, so I did 3x1mile at 10k pace (~6:25) with ~2,5min rest, not as a training so much but to see what it feels like. Similar to the VO2max workout, it feels hard (but not as hard luckily) however my HR just stays at around low 170, which is much lower than my body is making it feel. I remember a couple years back I ran a half marathon at about 180 average! (I was less trained for sure, but still in decent shape, coming in just sub 1:40). Is it a lack of real speedwork and the mostly easy base miles that is keeping my HR so low?
2015-02-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: Snaaijer

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Snaaijer Yes Jim, hope you get it sorted soon, must be frustrating not being able to workout as you like and have planned. I have a 10k this weekend and I'm hoping I can break 40 minutes, so I did 3x1mile at 10k pace (~6:25) with ~2,5min rest, not as a training so much but to see what it feels like. Similar to the VO2max workout, it feels hard (but not as hard luckily) however my HR just stays at around low 170, which is much lower than my body is making it feel. I remember a couple years back I ran a half marathon at about 180 average! (I was less trained for sure, but still in decent shape, coming in just sub 1:40). Is it a lack of real speedwork and the mostly easy base miles that is keeping my HR so low?

As you become fitter your HR will be lower for maximal efforts versus when you are less fit.  When you are fit you don't have to work as hard for a given effort.  So, don't view it as a bad thing that your HR is lower...and 170 isn't exactly "low"

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 19

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46657 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 85243 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54787 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31