BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-23 11:30 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I rode my bike today, btw  

And now I know why this hot hazy hellishness has begun to cool off. I shall see snowballs soon.

Yeah, it's freezing here too! Wind chill was down to zero!!!!!!!!

2015-01-23 11:33 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

And now I know why this hot hazy hellishness has begun to cool off. I shall see snowballs soon.

Sorry guys, didn't realize the consequences...

2015-01-23 11:33 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Oh snap!  Isn't it 1000000X more fun than running?!

2015-01-23 11:39 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by msteiner

It's pretty fun.

Although I like riding a bicycle in a casual manner. That IS really fun to me.

I could also see myself getting really into cyclocross or mountain biking.

Honestly the only thing I really don't like about cycling is that people can buy success. 

2015-01-23 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It's pretty fun.

Honestly the only thing I really don't like about cycling is that people can buy success. 

You can buy improvement to some degree, but that sure doesn't make you a success 

2015-01-23 11:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

It's pretty fun.

You can buy improvement to some degree, but that sure doesn't make you a success 

Haha ok sure. You know what I am saying though.

*Otherwise there wouldn't be multi-page threads on the rolling resistance of tires, aerodynamic qualities of waterbottles and debates on wheelsets that cost more than my cars' 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-23 11:48 AM

2015-01-23 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It's pretty fun.

*Otherwise there wouldn't be multi-page threads on the rolling resistance of tires, aerodynamic qualities of waterbottles and debates on wheelsets that cost more than my cars' 

You are correct ma'am. I find it interesting when someone pops into those, drops a "ride more", and runs away. I also find all that sciencey stuff to be interesting as well, but I'm still in low $ improvement mode.

2015-01-23 11:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Speaking of running and weather...

Looking a few weeks ahead, it looks like a very real possibility that I will be in Great Lakes, Illinois (just north of Chi-town), in early April, the weekend of my 20 mile run

I guess when it gets closer I'll decide whether to look for a 20 mile route or switch sessions around.

Edited by rrrunner 2015-01-23 12:00 PM
2015-01-23 11:59 AM

User image

Seattle

It's pretty fun.

You are correct ma'am. I find it interesting when someone pops into those, drops a "ride more", and runs away. I also find all that sciencey stuff to be interesting as well, but I'm still in low $ improvement mode.

Yes, certainly.

I totally get the people that really like that stuff. Just for me, there are way too many variables for me to keep track of. I mean, have you seen my life? I think that's why simplicity of running is so appealing to me. 

But if I wanted to be competitive that stuff would absolutely matter. It's not *just* ride more in that sport. It would be irresponsible to neglect all the other stuff. And being rich would help  

2015-01-23 11:59 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Chris, I think we swapped weather.  We'll be having 50's and 60's for the next week.  TJ, you can keep your weather, thankyouverymuch.

2015-01-23 12:01 PM

User image

Seattle

Looking a few weeks ahead, it looks like a very real possibility that I will be in Great Lakes, Illinois (just north of Chi-town), in early April, the weekend of my 20 mile run

Welp, if you can rock out a 20 miler in the arctic, you can certainly run a marathon

Go down to the lakefront trail. Even if it's cold as sh*t at least you wont be alone, it's beautiful and flat. 

2015-01-23 12:01 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Chris, I think we swapped weather.  We'll be having 50's and 60's for the next week.  TJ, you can keep your weather, thankyouverymuch.

I saw Kara Goucher's IG picture in the snow. You were getting it too! We're supposed to warm up this weekend as well.

2015-01-23 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Welp, if you can rock out a 20 miler in the arctic, you can certainly run a marathon

Go down to the lakefront trail. Even if it's cold as sh*t at least you wont be alone, it's beautiful and flat. 

I was wondering about the lakefront. Monica's runs at the lake always sounded so appealing.

2015-01-23 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

That is part of the joy of bikes for me. You can be as high or low tech as you like. There are a multitude of ways to approach things, and many of these approaches work. It's when you reach the point of tying all of the aspects together that it becomes a perfect storm. Rider/equipment/course. And even then, there are variables that have an affect.

I find it all very interesting, and I am merely scratching the surface at this point.

2015-01-23 12:04 PM

User image

Seattle

I don't want to jinx anything but our mountain summit this weekend is projected to be 50 degrees and clear! Like, woah! 

2015-01-23 12:06 PM

User image

Seattle

That is part of the joy of bikes for me. You can be as high or low tech as you like. There are a multitude of ways to approach things, and many of these approaches work. It's when you reach the point of tying all of the aspects together that it becomes a perfect storm. Rider/equipment/course. And even then, there are variables that have an affect.

I find it all very interesting, and I am merely scratching the surface at this point.

But I don't think I could finish in the FOP without investing some $$$

Having ridden a much more expensive bike than the one I own it is VERY clear how much harder I would have to work. 

So, that being said, if you take competition out of cycling, I totally agree. 

2015-01-23 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Maybe, but remeber, my viewpoint of "Cold" may be different than some other people.

2015-01-23 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

It's pretty fun.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how fun MTB can be.  I've done one cyclocross races, and it was a chaotic blast as well.  It's very laid back compared to road riding. 

I'm not sure if people can view this, but here's a video of me tackling a cyclocross obstacle:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153380979419554&pnref=story

Fun times for sure.

2015-01-23 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Having ridden a much more expensive bike than the one I own it is VERY clear how much harder I would have to work. 

I can't disagree with the difference a good bike makes. However, I like TJ Tollakson's approach to the good bike question. He thought it could be better, so he built Dimond Bikes. That is the simple, short version of the story, but he saw an opportunity to improve the bike and he went after it. Heck, his early prototypes for arm rests on aero bars were cups from jock straps. If that isn't thinking differently, I'm not sure what is.

Point being, money will help. But so will a lot of other things. Training will help. Thought will help. Toughness will help. Combine them all and you're onto something!

BTW, if you went all in on triathlon, I think the FOP should be scared.

2015-01-23 12:21 PM

User image

Seattle

It's pretty fun.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how fun MTB can be.  I've done one cyclocross races, and it was a chaotic blast as well.  It's very laid back compared to road riding. 

I'm not sure if people can view this, but here's a video of me tackling a cyclocross obstacle:

Fun times for sure.

Rad!!!!

That looks like so much fun. I really want to tackle it sometime. So little time! I also want a crack and the velodrome!

Are any of you guys just overwhelmed with the possibilities...in life? In general?

2015-01-23 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Rad!!!!

That looks like so much fun. I really want to tackle it sometime. So little time! I also want a crack and the velodrome!

Are any of you guys just overwhelmed with the possibilities...in life? In general?

A velodrome would be awesome.  I wish cycling was popular enough here to get one constructed.  I think you would enjoy mountain biking.

I remembered being amazed at the world that was opened when I started racing triathlon, and once again a few worlds opened with my transition into full cycling.  The world is way bigger than most people realize.

2015-01-23 12:24 PM

User image

Seattle

I can't disagree with the difference a good bike makes. However, I like TJ Tollakson's approach to the good bike question. He thought it could be better, so he built Dimond Bikes. That is the simple, short version of the story, but he saw an opportunity to improve the bike and he went after it. Heck, his early prototypes for arm rests on aero bars were cups from jock straps. If that isn't thinking differently, I'm not sure what is.

Point being, money will help. But so will a lot of other things. Training will help. Thought will help. Toughness will help. Combine them all and you're onto something!

BTW, if you went all in on triathlon, I think the FOP should be scared.

But see, of all those things,  the controllables anyhoo, money would be my limiter. That's hard to swallow! 

But triathlon can relax. I'm not coming back.  

2015-01-23 12:25 PM

Master
Northern IL

I did get a 3rd, 7th, and 3rd overall bike split this year on a road bike. Tuck in low and power hard. The bike selection does matter, but not always as much as one thinks. There is a lot of value coming through in the lower levels and in used gear now. I do get not wanting to worry about it at all, but also wanted to note that it isn't necessarily as expensive as one might think get an ok setup. Paying attention to things like gear matter everywhere, the bike does have more parts to look at than some other things.

2015-01-23 12:27 PM

User image

Seattle

Rad!!!!

A velodrome would be awesome.  I wish cycling was popular enough here to get one constructed.  I think you would enjoy mountain biking.

I remembered being amazed at the world that was opened when I started racing triathlon, and once again a few worlds opened with my transition into full cycling.  The world is way bigger than most people realize.

Here's ours

and to your point, seriously. Just wait until you go down all the wormholes of cycling. We've already mentioned MTB, cyclo, velodrome...sh*t you will be playing bike polo in no time!

2015-01-23 12:27 PM

Master
Northern IL

It's pretty fun.

Fun times for sure.

I still wonder about a bike event where it's better to get off the bike by design.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54744 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.