General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What did you do (not do) in 2014 that you will change in 2015 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-12-28 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: What did you do (not do) in 2014 that you will change in 2015
Another year has passed, a new year beckons, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So what did you do in 2014 that you learned from or will change in 2015. What did you NOT do in 2014 that you will do in 2015 to enhance your training?

I didn't race in 2014 (at least when I was training consistently) so it is hard to truly measure how effective everything was for me in terms of peaking for a specific performance. But I did train enough and saw plenty of validation in my training.

I will be doing more run focus at the beginning of my training blocks leading into races. I accidentally did this a couple times throughout the summer and found I was much more durable in the back half of my blocks where I focused more of time time on swim/bike. Across all three I felt I got more quality through each with this method. I will be applying this in 2015 to my training, especially my race blocks.

I didn't do enough group rides with the local roadies here. I live in a thriving bike community and watch several triathletes become extremely strong cyclists, they all joined a few local group rides. I will also being getting a cyclocross or mountain bike this year to add to my variety of riding.

2014-12-28 12:34 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: What did you do (not do) in 2014 that you will change in 2015

What I learned from 2014 is that I should not schedule back to back races 6 months in a row--for me that was just too much and I burned out a bit.  However, I also learned that I am as consistent as hell--I am very disciplined when it comes to my training--even when training just to train.

What I didn't do in 2014 is get picked for some Ben guy's training scholarship...haaaa, kidding! What I didn't do well in 2014 is take enough rest days.  At 44 I have to be a bit kinder to my body if I want to continue with this tri lifestyle for years to come.  I will have to find that balance as I'll begin Ironman training in January.  I welcome the challenge and am totally excited, but I also know it will be a long haul and I'll need to listen to this body of mine!

2014-12-28 2:15 PM

User image

What i have learned in 2014 is your as good as your training, being new to this i was naive to think that being a jock in sports all my life i would not get injured.

What i will do in 2015, strenght training and more bricks. Although i had my nutrion plan to the t i did not practice it enough during long rides/bricks. And i will also listing to my body when it's yelling something to me...rest days are as or more important as training days.
2014-12-28 2:58 PM
in reply to: claude67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
What I learned, oh this could be a long list!

1. Running streak is overrated and a PIA when you are trying to be a triathlete! I did manage to run 365 days straight but I think the constant need to run took away from my other workouts as I was holding something in the tank for the daily run!

2. Nutrition is important and if you overlook it, mile 8 on a HIM can become very nasty

3. Realized that the saying, "you can't win the race in the swim, but you can definitely lose it" is completely spot on. I missed out on podium spot by 30s because I came out of the water almost 5 minutes behind!

So what is going to be different

1. Running streak is dead, I even took 3 rest days in December.

2. I will not lose a podium due to lack of swimming training; actually already corrected this as half of my 2014 swim volume came after October!

3. More time, effort and intensity is going to be put into the bike.
2014-12-28 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by bcagle25

Another year has passed, a new year beckons, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So what did you do in 2014 that you learned from or will change in 2015?
I will spend much of 2015 getting stronger on the bike in preparation for IM Boulder. I definitely learned that a weak bike translates into a difficult run.

What did you NOT do in 2014 that you will do in 2015 to enhance your training?
I didn't think much about nutrition in 2014. I will be spending a lot more time considering various nutrition options and trying to figure out what will work best.

2014-12-28 6:19 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Utah
2014 was a crappy year for my in race performances. What is all boiled down to was mainly lack of good consistency. I did have a few injuries I did contend with, but the main issue was my lack of consistency. I tried to take on too much and then got discouraged when I didn't accomplish it all and gave up.

For 2015, I am more focused. I will be training for an doing my first IM, and have picked a training plan that I believe will be good in that it is reasonable time wise and will push me, but allow me to have balance to stay consistent. I had a great and consistent off season, so I am excited to carry that into my training now. I have also learned that I can't neglect the run, it was my main focus of my off season and will continue to be.

2014-12-28 6:27 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I trained & raced very little in 2014, partly because I had peroneal tendon surgery on January 10 which affects me to this day, and partly because of changes in my personal life.

In 2015, I am going to train consistently and wisely to enable a good race at Musselman with the goal of a new PR there.  I'm also going to be making the decision in the next month and a half or so about racing IMMD, since I haven't done a full IM since 2010.

2014-12-28 7:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I had a big year planned for my final year in the M40-44 AG.

The original schedule was:

April - Kemah Olympic & Texas 70.3

June - Ironman Couer d'Alene

August - Ironman Mont-Tremblant

November - Philadelphia Marathon

Had to DNS the two April races because I developed an infection that took 2.5 months to clear up.  Infection also caused me to transfer from IMCdA to IMC.  DNF'd IMC due to medical.  DNS'd IMMT for a different medical issue.  DNS'd the Philly Marathon due to surgery... unrelated to all the other medical issues.  Go figure.

So I was basically 0-6 for 2014.

So my one change is to actually start and finish a race next year. 

Tomorrow will be my first workout since I DNF'd the run at IMC.  That 1.5 mile run tomorrow morning will be some kind of moral victory.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-12-28 7:04 PM
2014-12-28 7:59 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Like Kim, I feel I'm good when it comes to consistency, almost to a fault and I start to stress when I can't do my regular workouts!

I raced a lot at the beginning of the year, but then was derailed by a bike crash. Put the kabosh on all outside bike training.

What I did do:

1)Learned to love my trainer. Got a new KK trainer, and the InRide to go along with it. That along with Netflix and I'm happy for 2 hours on the thing. I used to dread it but now don't mind at all. I try to get a good ride on it every week and it doesn't interfere with family stuff. Plus I get to sleep in!

2) really focused on running 5-6 days a week and found it really works for me! Going to try to maintain that during IM training in 2015

What I need to do in 2015:

1) get back OUTSIDE on my bike. Ever since the crash I've been a little gun shy and have resorted to the trainer. Good for training but really need to get back out there esp when IM training starts!!

2) work on my swim MUCH more!

3) Stay focused during IM training! I decided to use a coach and figure the extra cost will be worth it since it will be my first full distance. As excited as I am, I know I'm going to need help!
2014-12-28 9:38 PM

Great thread, I'll add a couple:

1. Measure my effort on the swim leg better. It's really easy to go too fast and it affected my other two legs. When I slowed it down a bit, my overall performance increased.

2. I did a great job of sticking to the plan to get the volume in that I wanted. But my plan only laid out swim/bike/run and time spent on each. It didn't give any thought to fitting in speed work. Sure, I did some, but there was no coordination to it. If I'm going to get faster from this point forward, I'll need to address this.
2014-12-28 10:52 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

This year I plan to train harder for my intervals. Last year I just did semi hard intervals. On the bike I did mostly SS intervals and the swim I hardly went above race pace. I also plan to race a lot more so I don't put all my eggs in one basket. I have a 100 and 70.3 1 week apart though. That will be interesting... This year I did an Olympic one week after my full IM and a marathon 2 weeks after the IM. I PR'ed in the marathon but my body was hurting and my motivation was shot after that. I'm going to respect my longer races (except that 100 + 70.3 XD) and give myself a true recovery this time around with easy Z1/Z2 only work the week afterwards and then slowly ease back into intervals.

2014-12-29 2:06 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to race at least 2 tris this year. I had planned to focus more on running and biking last season, but I wanted to at least do a couple of tris. One of the tris I signed up for was cancelled and the other I ended up having to skip, so 2014 was the first year since I did my first multi-sport event in 2006 that I didn't race at least one triathlon, so that was a bummer.

On the plus side, I did a lot more cycling and saw some big improvements there, and was able to stay injury free on the run for most of the year. I did my first half-marathon (outside of a HIM) since 2011, and did six races in six weeks at one point last summer, including a 5k PR.

Every year, I say I'm going to be more consistent with my running. This year, I finally was and it really paid off. Funny how that works.
2014-12-29 2:26 PM

User image

Watch TV. Spring 2015 is my first tri!
2014-12-29 6:34 PM
in reply to: Keithb00ne

User image

Denver, CO

2014 was my 1st year doing tris, so my focus was simply to finish. Most of my learning is pretty basic stuff and there's definitely room for improvement. 

• Getting my wetsuit stuck on my timing chip really slows down my T1 time.  Will spend more time practicing transitions.
  • DQ'd in 1 race because I got disoriented after getting bounced around in a jet ski wake and missed a buoy.  I'll be working on sighting.
  • I haven't been pushing myself hard enough in the bike or run.  Both races, I finished feeling fairly fresh and even got a 5k PR in my last sprint.  If I can do a 5k faster in a tri than I do a standalone 5k, I can definitely pick up the pace in my tri.
  • I don't deal well with heat and trying to run speed intervals when it's 90* makes me feel like throwing up.  I'll definitely back off on the effort on the hot days so I can at least finish the workout.

I have a coach now and I'll be doing more drills rather than just swimming, biking and running set distances.  We're also doing video analyses of my running and swimming and I'm really curious to find out who much faster I'll be.

2014-12-29 7:29 PM

I will listen more intently during pre race instruction. I have been competing for 3 years and this year found myself on the bike with no one in sight. I took a wrong turn and ended up going at least half a mile off course.
2014-12-29 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I dug myself a deep, deep physical and psychological hole training for an ultramarathon early this year. Started the training period with a "manageable" injury... Ended with a DNF and way too many painful multi-hour runs in the dark, cold rain. Can't say I exactly minded having to take the entire summer off from running to heal.

Now that running is fun again, I don't want to screw that up so hopefully I'll be more realistic when it comes to managing injuries.

2014-12-29 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I learned a few things, or rather didn't learn from them:

1. I learned that bike racing hurts. crashed 4 times, got an ambulance ride, and will be getting my 2015 kits shortly. 
  2. Don't over commit.  I picked up a cycling team, triathlon team, and coach that all want me to wear their stuff at all times.  Sometimes this creates problems.  I only committed to wearing stuff from the cycling team. 
  3. It's possible to make huge gains on the bike without increasing FTP.  My FTP was stagnant all year and never really went down, but up less than 10 watts.  While I didn't gain any power I didn't increase my cycling base a lot by doing over 200 miles a week almost all year.  I cruised very easily to a top 10 OA bike split at my only Ironman half this year. 
  4. I didn't run enough.  That's all there is to it.  I needed to be in better running shape all year.  I increased my bike and swim fitness but my run times kept my year to year race results pretty much the same.
  5. Strength training is crap.  Just don't.  Take the extra 45 minutes and do some trainer intervals or do an easy run and build that running volume up.  I saw a huge negative dip in performance when I added weights into the mix.  It took me two rounds of starting back going to the gym to finally admit this to myself.  Once at the start of the year and then again at the end.
  6. Drink more fluids in racing and training.  I've never had a workout I wish I had consumed less, but I have had workouts and races where I wanted a lot more. 

That's it.  I'm done. 

2014-12-29 8:53 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Clempson

I learned a few things, or rather didn't learn from them:

1. I learned that bike racing hurts. crashed 4 times, got an ambulance ride, and will be getting my 2015 kits shortly. 
  2. Don't over commit.  I picked up a cycling team, triathlon team, and coach that all want me to wear their stuff at all times.  Sometimes this creates problems.  I only committed to wearing stuff from the cycling team. 
  3. It's possible to make huge gains on the bike without increasing FTP.  My FTP was stagnant all year and never really went down, but up less than 10 watts.  While I didn't gain any power I didn't increase my cycling base a lot by doing over 200 miles a week almost all year.  I cruised very easily to a top 10 OA bike split at my only Ironman half this year. 
  4. I didn't run enough.  That's all there is to it.  I needed to be in better running shape all year.  I increased my bike and swim fitness but my run times kept my year to year race results pretty much the same.
  5. Strength training is crap.  Just don't.  Take the extra 45 minutes and do some trainer intervals or do an easy run and build that running volume up.  I saw a huge negative dip in performance when I added weights into the mix.  It took me two rounds of starting back going to the gym to finally admit this to myself.  Once at the start of the year and then again at the end.
  6. Drink more fluids in racing and training.  I've never had a workout I wish I had consumed less, but I have had workouts and races where I wanted a lot more. 

That's it.  I'm done. 

Out of curiosity what were you doing in your program that makes you believe strength training is crap?
2014-12-29 10:15 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by bcagle25  Out of curiosity what were you doing in your program that makes you believe strength training is crap?

i did a lot of things.  I did your basic endurance athlete full body approach at light weights, and i did the strength building approach which used only olympic style lifts which included squats/deadlift/bench/overhead press ect... all just seemed to sap resources that would have been better spent cycling/running/swimming.  

prior to doing tri's I was a gym rat and only lifted.  from that I had a pretty strong muscular frame going in and thought that it was great.  once I dropped the weights completely I saw a huge swing in performance.  if you want to get fast then just do S/B/R... if you are interested in general aesthetics and health throw some weights in there, but don't expect it will help your race results. 

2014-12-29 10:24 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Clempson

Originally posted by bcagle25  Out of curiosity what were you doing in your program that makes you believe strength training is crap?

i did a lot of things.  I did your basic endurance athlete full body approach at light weights, and i did the strength building approach which used only olympic style lifts which included squats/deadlift/bench/overhead press ect... all just seemed to sap resources that would have been better spent cycling/running/swimming.  

prior to doing tri's I was a gym rat and only lifted.  from that I had a pretty strong muscular frame going in and thought that it was great.  once I dropped the weights completely I saw a huge swing in performance.  if you want to get fast then just do S/B/R... if you are interested in general aesthetics and health throw some weights in there, but don't expect it will help your race results. 

Is that a blanket statement or something specific to yourself that strength training doesn't work?

Did you do any single-leg, split stance, half-knee, quadruped position movements? Any specificity in movement patterns in your exercises to triathlon?

Olympic lifts or progressions of olympic lifts?
2014-12-29 10:37 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

2014-12-30 10:22 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Completed two IM in 2014. Checked off bucket list.

Going back to short races (Sprint and International) for 2015. More speed training (intervals).

Going to try and win the race series for my age group so a lot more races in 2015.
2014-12-30 12:48 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

One thing I did in 2014 was focus on volume targets through frequency sometimes at the expense of a needed rest day.  I was able to build a very solid base and increase my running strength pretty dramatically.  Alas, this was at the expense of some speed.  I did some track work to try to compensate for this but cummulate fatigue continued to hold me back.

For 2015, I plan to go from 6-7 runs per week to 4-5 by cutting out the "recovery" runs.  I began this transition several weeks ago with taking every third day off.  The change in how I feel has been significant.  My pace for the same RPE has increased.  I have to be very careful to keep my easy paces truly easy and on the other side hit my tempo/interval/repeat work hard.  There seems to be a tendency to naturally end up in a gray zone somewhere in between.  Must remember to execute each session with a purpose and stick to it.  

2014-12-30 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

That while I enjoy triathlon, I LOVE running. The year 2015 will see mostly a 100% focus on the run for me. I'll dip into the pool here and there and may even ride for crosstraining but the focus will be solely on running.

2014-12-30 2:04 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I decided this year to focus on what I like doing the most, which is cycling.  I'll probably race in one or two of the local tri's, but I'm looking forward to giving road racing a go.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What did you do (not do) in 2014 that you will change in 2015 Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Who's doing SavageMan this year (2014)?

Started by Donto
Views: 623 Posts: 1

2014-08-27 8:10 PM Donto

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2107 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1661 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

experimenting with NOT doing speedwork......

Started by Yellow_Dawg
Views: 882 Posts: 10

2006-04-08 11:15 AM AdventureBear

Changing gears....how exactly is it done correctly?

Started by dolly
Views: 1142 Posts: 8

2004-04-22 9:41 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"