General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you use Critical Power or FTP testing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Do you use Critical Power or FTP testing?
OptionResults
Critical Power testing only3 Votes - [14.29%]
FTP testing only4 Votes - [19.05%]
If CP 5' & 20' tests8 Votes - [38.1%]
If FTP single 20' test3 Votes - [14.29%]
If FTP dual 20' tests0 Votes - [0%]
if FTP dual 8' interval test2 Votes - [9.52%]
If FTP 5' and 20' dual interval test1 Votes - [4.76%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2014-12-30 5:15 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Do you use Critical Power or FTP testing?

Curious on what kind of testing people use for bike training using power. 

I've been reading up some on FTP and comparing to Critical Power. Seems they interchangeable since they are both an estimate of 1 hour all out efforts.  For FTP testing I see 5' interval with 10' recovery then 20' interval and use the 20' avg; Single 20' all out interval and take 97% (or 95%) of the avg; Dual 8' intervals with 10' recovery and take 90% of the average of the two; Dual 20' with 2' recovery and take the lowest.

I've only done CP tests.  Initially 3' & 20' tests on separate days with Jorge's original winter cycling plan.  Since the WCP change and using another plan it's only been 5' & 20' testing.

Does one method remove slanting if say your strong at short stuff than longer? 

Does CP with it rest days in between the test provide a "better" estimate?

I couldn't imagine doing the dual; 20' FTP test or 8' test!

2014-12-30 5:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Do you use Critical Power or FTP testing?

Jeez a search didn't give me much then I post this and I see a good list of threads after the post like this!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=260525&posts=13&page=1

Edited by Donto 2014-12-30 5:19 PM
2014-12-30 9:53 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
EVERY test is an approximation of threshold. Each has strengths & weaknesses.

I use different tests during different times of the season, adn try to test what's pertinent to a race like efforts.

Winter time, tests like 3'/20' or 5'/20' or 1 x 20' are nice b/c they are short and people are doing shorter harder stuff. They may overestimate threshold for that reason because youre relatively better trained for shorter intervals.

As I go through the season, especially for athletes training for half or full iron distance, I'll use longer tests like 2 x20' for example, and SOME athlete even enjoy doing indoor 1 hour all out hard effort tests!

I'd say pick a new one and use it for while an dget comfortable with it. but don't do a different one every time, otherwise you'll never hae solid comparisions.

2014-12-30 11:09 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Master
Northern IL

I just take a semi-educated guess. 

But really, I'll go with a more general feel off of several key workouts over a few weeks as opposed to specifically testing for it.

2014-12-31 12:01 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I just use the Friel method.
2014-12-31 1:19 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

2014-12-31 3:43 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by AdventureBear EVERY test is an approximation of threshold. Each has strengths & weaknesses. I use different tests during different times of the season, adn try to test what's pertinent to a race like efforts. Winter time, tests like 3'/20' or 5'/20' or 1 x 20' are nice b/c they are short and people are doing shorter harder stuff. They may overestimate threshold for that reason because youre relatively better trained for shorter intervals. As I go through the season, especially for athletes training for half or full iron distance, I'll use longer tests like 2 x20' for example, and SOME athlete even enjoy doing indoor 1 hour all out hard effort tests! I'd say pick a new one and use it for while an dget comfortable with it. but don't do a different one every time, otherwise you'll never hae solid comparisions.

You lost me at the bolded part....  

I've only ever done CP testing (with both the 3/20 and 5/20 tests).

2014-12-31 6:26 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am not sure what the difference is in some of the options. I do not understand the difference between CP only and CP5/20.

I've tried them all and also MAP (ramp test until failure) as well as lactate testing.

It is true they are all estimates. But IMO the short (3-5minute) & long (20-30 minute) test, if properly executed provides the most insight as you can get more parameters from it and can you those parameters to zoom in to your true threshold.

As you zero in on your true threshold, testing other data points can then tell you if you think it needs to be refined or not. I think guys like Ben can tell if their threshold has improved by testing points along their CP curve during workouts.

2014-12-31 8:42 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

In addition to FTP, testing at a few points can also give insight about the performance curve which can help in figuring out what type of training may be more effective for further improvement.

2014-12-31 8:55 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag . But IMO the short (3-5minute) & long (20-30 minute) test, if properly executed provides the most insight as you can get more parameters from it and can you those parameters to zoom in to your true threshold. .

This is what we are doing with the Jr. Elite kids.  They get tested 3 times per year.  We just finished the first last week as they begin to ramp up for the first races in March.  We'll do it again right before the meat of the season starts in May, and then again at the end of the season before they take a break from cycling.  This is the 3rd year I've been involved with watching it.......it's interesting to see the numbers over that time period.

The most important thing I've learned is that your FTP number really doesn't mean crap if you don't have someone who can put together the workouts that use the zones that your FTP number gives you.  Once you have someone that can dial in the information and set up a plan to increase your power it's worth it's weight in gold.

2014-12-31 9:02 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by marcag . But IMO the short (3-5minute) & long (20-30 minute) test, if properly executed provides the most insight as you can get more parameters from it and can you those parameters to zoom in to your true threshold. .

This is what we are doing with the Jr. Elite kids.  They get tested 3 times per year.  We just finished the first last week as they begin to ramp up for the first races in March.  We'll do it again right before the meat of the season starts in May, and then again at the end of the season before they take a break from cycling.  This is the 3rd year I've been involved with watching it.......it's interesting to see the numbers over that time period.

The most important thing I've learned is that your FTP number really doesn't mean crap if you don't have someone who can put together the workouts that use the zones that your FTP number gives you.  Once you have someone that can dial in the information and set up a plan to increase your power it's worth it's weight in gold.

I agree.  I was part of Marc & Shane's power mentor group last year and learned a lot from it.  I didn't realize how you can take the ratio of the two CP tests and if the ratio was skewed on one end or the other you then know you weakness.  There were a different set of workouts for different groups; The TT'ers, All-Rounders and Sprinters.

2014-12-31 9:12 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donto

I agree.  I was part of Marc & Shane's power mentor group last year and learned a lot from it.  I didn't realize how you can take the ratio of the two CP tests and if the ratio was skewed on one end or the other you then know you weakness.  There were a different set of workouts for different groups; The TT'ers, All-Rounders and Sprinters.

Yeah, the first 2 years all that happened were the tests.  None of the kids had power meters so we had a number and saw progress or decline at each test. 

By last year most of the kids had PM's and we got hooked up with a Pedal Hard shop where the kids worked out twice a week under the guidance of some REALLY knowledgeable trainers......the difference was dramatic.  We had some pretty eye opening bike splits by the end of last season.

2014-12-31 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I just use the 20 minute power average from Sufferfest's "Rubber Glove" and take 95% if I'm doing an official test.  I've done the 5 minute max with 10 minutes rest followed by 20 minutes a few times and found the results pretty similar to the results of just the 20 minute effort.  The single 20 minute effort leaves me a bit fresher for quality workouts during the week.

During the spring and summer I'll use the "Estimated FTP" that Strava calculates from my CP curve from the last 6 weeks.

2014-12-31 10:12 AM

Master
Northern IL

The differences between those groups is exactly what I was thinking about. Helps to show why some people do better than others with the different type of work.

2014-12-31 10:17 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

The differences between those groups is exactly what I was thinking about. Helps to show why some people do better than others with the different type of work.

That's another good point.  You have to know what your goals are, because not all triathlon is alike.  Our kids train to be able to withstand, or create, big surges that are meant to drop riders in a draft legal format.  It's very different from training to increase power for an AG race....and then you have the various distances in those races as well.  Not all cycling is equal.

2014-12-31 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by marcag

It is true they are all estimates. But IMO the short (3-5minute) & long (20-30 minute) test, if properly executed provides the most insight as you can get more parameters from it and can you those parameters to zoom in to your true threshold.

I agree with this entirely, as measuring both 5/20 gives a lot more then just threshold.

I will add though that I like to add in race data too. I find that some athletes test very well and accurately on the 5/20 method, but some don't they simply cannot produce an accurate test but then come race day they can give a more true indicator of what their threshold is.

2014-12-31 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

That's another good point.  You have to know what your goals are, because not all triathlon is alike.  Our kids train to be able to withstand, or create, big surges that are meant to drop riders in a draft legal format.  It's very different from training to increase power for an AG race....and then you have the various distances in those races as well.  Not all cycling is equal.

This is not why we created the groups. It was not meant to do training specific to a distance, it was meant to work on relative strengths and weakness.
Performance across all distances is driven mainly by FTP.
How FTP is made up is important. There are two very important components. Your VO2max and the % of VO2max you can hold for an hour.
The "roof" (VO2max) and Ceiling (% VO2max can hold for 1hr) analogy is sometimes used.
We divided the groups based on who had a high roof and who had a high ceiling and made them work on their weakness

It had nothing to do with the race distance. Again improving FTP is the key across all distances.

Edited by marcag 2014-12-31 10:55 AM
2014-12-31 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just did a test last night on a trainer that left me dreading doing another one. Total time was 81 minutes.

20 min warm up
3x1 min high spin 100+ ups w\ 1min recovery
3 min easy
2x1 min max blow up with 5min recovery
10 min easy
20 min all out
10 min cool down
2014-12-31 11:42 AM

Master
Northern IL

This is not why we created the groups. It was not meant to do training specific to a distance, it was meant to work on relative strengths and weakness. Performance across all distances is driven mainly by FTP. How FTP is made up is important. There are two very important components. Your VO2max and the % of VO2max you can hold for an hour. The "roof" (VO2max) and Ceiling (% VO2max can hold for 1hr) analogy is sometimes used. We divided the groups based on who had a high roof and who had a high ceiling and made them work on their weakness It had nothing to do with the race distance. Again improving FTP is the key across all distances.

Right, it was the relationship between that roof and ceiling. The three groups were based on the ratio of those. Not in absolute power, but the ratio of the shorter over the longer gave a number. The "sprinter" group does not actually refer to the ability to sprint at all, but was just an easy name to call the group with a higher ratio. I don't believe any part of any of this training actually worked on true sprinting.

2014-12-31 11:53 AM

User image

Pro

This is not why we created the groups. It was not meant to do training specific to a distance, it was meant to work on relative strengths and weakness. Performance across all distances is driven mainly by FTP. How FTP is made up is important. There are two very important components. Your VO2max and the % of VO2max you can hold for an hour. The "roof" (VO2max) and Ceiling (% VO2max can hold for 1hr) analogy is sometimes used. We divided the groups based on who had a high roof and who had a high ceiling and made them work on their weakness It had nothing to do with the race distance. Again improving FTP is the key across all distances.

That's interesting.  We have some really knowledgeable folks who say that training is very race specific.  But I can see how your group could be generic to improving FTP.  Different goals.

2014-12-31 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

That's interesting.  We have some really knowledgeable folks who say that training is very race specific.  But I can see how your group could be generic to improving FTP.  Different goals.

I was part of Marc's/Shane's mentor group, I just got faster on the bike, both 70.3 and Oly distances, that's all I think I was in the "All rounder" group. I'm convinced the 20' test and 5' test on different days is a good way to establish FTP.

2014-12-31 12:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

There are *some* differences between the various race differences, but having a strong threshold power is necessary for *all* of them. Even the longer ones raced well short of threshold. The race specific training is built on top of having very strong threshold power. As we've seen up at the faster end of things, someone with very strong threshold performance can move between the distances and do fairly well. The race specific work can help make the difference between *well* and *win*.

2014-12-31 1:27 PM

User image

Pro

There are *some* differences between the various race differences, but having a strong threshold power is necessary for *all* of them. Even the longer ones raced well short of threshold. The race specific training is built on top of having very strong threshold power. As we've seen up at the faster end of things, someone with very strong threshold performance can move between the distances and do fairly well. The race specific work can help make the difference between *well* and *win*.

That's a good way to put it.  I'm going to bring this up Saturday at the next session.  Obviously there are other factors.  I know some kids who have w/kg ratios in the 4.5-4.7 range.....but they'd get their arses handed to them in a HIM, for instance.  On the other hand, they easily can hold their own in a super sprint with an IM champion....as seen this year at Milwaukee when 16-19 year olds stayed right in the thick of the race.....and one made the podium.  In a long race they'd be thrashed. 

There is still the need to be able to hit 800-1000 watts in a draft legal race.....you can't do that repeatedly, and recover, in a single race, by just training to get your FTP higher....right?  I realize we aren't talking about avg. racers.......just trying to understand it better.

2014-12-31 1:43 PM

User image

I just take a semi-educated guess. 

But really, I'll go with a more general feel off of several key workouts over a few weeks as opposed to specifically testing for it.

I agree.  FTP (1 hour power) in of itself is really not that important to know unless you are planning to do a time trial race that lasts roughly 1 hour.  I agree that knowing your FTP is "generally" a good way to structure other workouts, but once you start doing this enough, you just let your previous workouts drive your upcoming workouts.

IOW, the best way to know what you should shoot for during your next 5x5' interval workout is to know what you did in your previous 5x5' workouts.  Same for 4x10', 30x30", 2x20', or a race paced long ride.  Once you ride enough at various lengths of time, you'll build up a power curve where you can see what your strengths and weaknesses are.  Depending on what type of racing you are doing, you can then see what needs to be worked on.  You can do all of this without ever knowing what your FTP is.

FWIW, there hasn't been one FTP testing protocol that has accurately predicted my FTP (during a 1 hour TT).  It's always over estimated by about 10-15 watts.  And even when I know my true FTP from that 1 hour TT, none of those rough estimates of what percentage of FTP you should race long course has ever worked for me.  Such as 75-80% of FTP for a HIM.  Always over estimated for me.  I have a rather steep power curve, but I know this...and rely on my own data to prescribe race paces or workout goals.

2014-12-31 1:43 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
I've tried pretty much everything you've got listed over the last several years and they all give consistent results. My 2 favorite tests are:
1: dual 8 minute intervals. although, once I had done this a few times I shortened it up to a single 8 minutes test, all the second interval does is confirm the first result and make me less inclined to do the test in the first place.
2: race performance from a sprint triathlon, if the race is about an hour and the bike is about 30 minutes you will probably go at about 100% of threshold for a well balanced and executed race.

I'll also add, as others have mentioned, that the short interval (~3-5 mintes) and long interval (~15-30min) tests gives good information about strengths and weaknesses. I don't do this protocol very often as I tend to procrastinate and avoid testing or underperform due to lack of motivation on the trainer during the long interval. I don't like testing on the road (with exception of racing) as traffic, hills, stop signs, etc always seem to interrupt the test.

Most important is to pick a test and track your performance over time while doing workouts that are appropriate for your racing (don't train for the test).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you use Critical Power or FTP testing? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Critical Power vs FTP and CP60

Started by mrpetey
Views: 7656 Posts: 13

2011-07-14 2:40 PM YeaJackson

FTP Testing on bike today...have question...

Started by miami9296
Views: 990 Posts: 3

2010-03-07 7:00 PM ADollar79

First good FTP test of the year

Started by newbz
Views: 1982 Posts: 10

2009-03-03 10:05 PM newbz

FTP bike test

Started by Plissken74
Views: 6545 Posts: 13

2009-01-15 1:08 PM JorgeM

FTP test on road or trainer

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1965 Posts: 17

2008-09-24 11:25 AM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 25, 2013
author : JorgeM
comments : 0
This Cycling plan is a general cycling program geared to help triathletes and cyclists improve their Critical Power over a 16 week period. Power and Heart-Rate versions

date : August 14, 2009
author : qt2systems
comments : 2
In this second part of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss threshold testing and the importance of 'critical volume' to get the training needed for race day.
date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.