Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-03-30 8:35 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

I used to zip tie my cgae, but after changing saddles it no longer worked.  I bought this inexpensive Tacx mount (cage not included) and it's working well so far.

(Tacx Cage.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Tacx Cage.JPG (26KB - 3 downloads)

2015-03-30 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I use that same mount Neil except I only use parts of it and dremmeled it to fit snug to my seat post.

Edit: I lied, not the same mount but similar.

Edited by axteraa 2015-03-30 8:46 AM
2015-03-30 9:53 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

Looks to be the same Arend, only you've removed the extension piece.

2015-03-30 4:10 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Pro

Ok. I could use a little wisdom

Currently marathon training, using Hanson's plan. I took 4 days off because of Bronchitis... and now I'm stressing about mileage for an upcoming week that involves a PT test.

Here's the week that's planned:

M: 8, T: ~5 miles w/ speedwork W: Off, T: 8 @ MP, F: 7, Sat: 8, Sun: 16.

The wrench in the works is a PT test on Friday that I NEED to do well in, so I'd like to go in a little fresh-ish. PT test run is 2 miles. I get max points if I go under 15:48, which should be no problem, but I want a time that stands up well next to the boys.

I'm thinking:

M: 8, T: 8 @ MP, W: 7, T: Off, F: PT test, plus easy 3-ish later, Sat & Sun as planned

Am I on track, or is there something you'd do differently?

2015-03-30 4:15 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Master
, California

Elaine, you're doing close to what I would do (take Thursday off).  I think I'd keep Tuesday at 5 miles and remove the speedwork.  That'll get you back into things a little easier since you're getting over illness.

2015-03-30 6:00 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by spudone

Elaine, you're doing close to what I would do (take Thursday off).  I think I'd keep Tuesday at 5 miles and remove the speedwork.  That'll get you back into things a little easier since you're getting over illness.

Agreed, plus dropping the speedwork will make it more likely to still have some pop left Friday.  I know that when I hit the track on a Tuesday and continue running easily W-F, it's about all I can do to hit my longer race pace intervals (for an HIM training plan) on Saturday.

It'll be more like a taper week without speedwork, but not entirely as you maintain the volume.  You might do some pickups to race pace (like openers), but for **me** I'd need to not do the track stuff that close to a TT of that length (where "pop" might be more important). 

Won't be perfect, but this seems a good balance (?).

Good luck burying the boys! 

Matt

2015-03-30 7:09 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Agreed, plus dropping the speedwork will make it more likely to still have some pop left Friday.  I know that when I hit the track on a Tuesday and continue running easily W-F, it's about all I can do to hit my longer race pace intervals (for an HIM training plan) on Saturday.

It'll be more like a taper week without speedwork, but not entirely as you maintain the volume.  You might do some pickups to race pace (like openers), but for **me** I'd need to not do the track stuff that close to a TT of that length (where "pop" might be more important). 

Matt

I would actually turn that around a bit and do some faster running, *BUT* keep any intervals quite short and space them out. Don't build up a whole lot of stress at once. A lot of this is about getting your feel back. Reintroduction, so to speak. Especially coming off being sick, it's not that easy to really run your fastest if you haven't been doing it. Making it hurt, sure, but not sure about the actual speed being up where it should.

2015-03-30 10:03 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Matt

I would actually turn that around a bit and do some faster running, *BUT* keep any intervals quite short and space them out. Don't build up a whole lot of stress at once. A lot of this is about getting your feel back. Reintroduction, so to speak. Especially coming off being sick, it's not that easy to really run your fastest if you haven't been doing it. Making it hurt, sure, but not sure about the actual speed being up where it should.

Ben, do you mean for coming back to running in general, or specifically for Elaine coming back this week and hitting a "race" on Friday?  I was focusing on that, rather than a general getting back to running approach, and I'm wondering how you're thinking about it (since it's different than I do, I want to understand).

For me (again with that caveat!), the pickups would get me comfortable with turning my legs over and would be part of the weekly runs (Tuesday, and maybe Friday but shorter).  It's just that "real" speed work deadens my legs for a few days, so a track workout Tuesday would leave me flat Friday.

I guess that's the important thing about knowing what works for you and what doesn't, and I'm wondering if you have a different recovery time from speed work.  Sure wouldn't surprise me if that was so!

Matt

2015-03-31 7:24 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Matt

Ben, do you mean for coming back to running in general, or specifically for Elaine coming back this week and hitting a "race" on Friday?  I was focusing on that, rather than a general getting back to running approach, and I'm wondering how you're thinking about it (since it's different than I do, I want to understand).

For me (again with that caveat!), the pickups would get me comfortable with turning my legs over and would be part of the weekly runs (Tuesday, and maybe Friday but shorter).  It's just that "real" speed work deadens my legs for a few days, so a track workout Tuesday would leave me flat Friday.

I guess that's the important thing about knowing what works for you and what doesn't, and I'm wondering if you have a different recovery time from speed work.  Sure wouldn't surprise me if that was so!

Matt

Both, although specifics may vary between each situation. Think more strides and building off of that. Since Elaine's key run is only a few days away it might be much more (if any more) than that. Keep in mind that it's not always necessary to go to exhaustion, or even putting in a solid amount of work, for the faster work to be of benefit. In this case, I'd look at 30" at first, maybe going up to 60" later depending on how the first few went, or do that in another session. Just reintroducing things here so be flexible. If outdoors I'd be accelerating throughout, seeing how fast i still felt ok and hopefully the later ones get up to 5k pace or even a touch faster if it's going really well. Indoors (treadmill) I tend to stick with a pace for the interval, but would see about going faster each time up to about the same pace. Recovery between these is also relatively big, like several times the work part.

2015-03-31 10:32 AM

User image

Pro

Thanks, all!

I think I'll keep the schedule I proposed for next week, except I'll shorten the Tuesday run, not run it @ MP, and add in some strides / short intervals that aren't too taxing.

For this week, tonight is supposed to be speed, and Thursday is supposed to be MP. I think I'll do a regular run with strides today, and attempt MP on Thursday, but slow down if I feel crappy.

2015-03-31 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Thanks Ben. 

I think we're actually saying close to the same thing, but you're more articulate.    Your description of 30-60" intervals, accelerating throughout and topping out at ~5k pace is pretty much spot on for what I call pickups (strides that accelerate, or pickup, the pace). 

I think of speed-work as being longer or higher repeats than a handful of strides/pickups, but I guess any work at speed is speed-work!

Matt

2015-03-31 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Started into a structured block today - for the first time since prepping for a St. Patrick's day HM over a year ago.  Nothing spectacular (4x8'@ ME pace - 7:10-7:30 for me), but MAN did I feel the fourth one!

2 week build, one week build/peak, one week mini-taper to Galveston 70.3.  Then two x (2 week build/1 week rest & test), 1 week peak, 1 week taper to Sweden triple Oly.  An oly thrown in on Memorial Day, I think, and a couple 5k's and maybe 10k's in the mix.  Might have to monkey with it a little for recovery from Galveston, depending on how that goes...

Then off to the Cape for July and maybe some fun races before another structured block for (probably?) Oklahoma 70.3 late September.

What do y'alls' (yes, that's a word here - don't hate!) race seasons look like at this point?

Matt

2015-03-31 11:14 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Nothing till June, and then I only race 4 times as I don't get the opportunity to race much. 

June - HIM
July - Oly
August - Sprint, Oly

I may do a century ride in September, and/or a marathon in November. 

2015-03-31 11:19 AM

User image

Pro

5/2 - Oly Tri (not really training for it though)

5/30 - Marathon! Goal: Sub-4

... then... ??? Basically I have no idea.

Would LOVE to do one of the Alcatraz swims / aquathlons this summer.

2015-03-31 11:47 AM

Master
Northern IL

Thanks Ben. 

I think we're actually saying close to the same thing, but you're more articulate.    Your description of 30-60" intervals, accelerating throughout and topping out at ~5k pace is pretty much spot on for what I call pickups (strides that accelerate, or pickup, the pace). 

I think of speed-work as being longer or higher repeats than a handful of strides/pickups, but I guess any work at speed is speed-work!

Matt

Could be. I might also be watching the categorizing more too. It can be helpful some times, but limiting in others. Adding in faster work doesn't have to be a great big distinct jump. It can be worked in a bit more gradually like so and lead into the various types of speed work you're morel likely thinking of. And don't discount the short ones. A bunch of these done at mile pace can be rather stressful, especially when you get past 1' for an interval.

2015-03-31 2:26 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Matt - you are exposing your transplanted roots. Didn't you mean to ask, "Whatch yalls race season lookin lyk?" (sorry, it is really hard to type the correct pronunciation of the hard "I").

here is what I've got remaining:

April 11 - tony Sarrano Century (fast century - may only do the metric option)
April 19 - Cartersville Sprint Duathlon
April 25 - John Tanner Sprint
May 18 - Assault on Mt. Mitchell (century with 12k' of climbing)
May 30 - Blalock Lake Sprint Tri
June 28 - Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic Tri
July 19 - Escape to Blue Ridge Sprint Tri
August 8 - Age Group Nationals Olympic tri
August 29 - MAAC One Love Century (fast century)
September 12 - Tugaloo Olympic Tri
September 27 - Six Gap Century (12k climbing)
October 3-4 - 24 Hours of Booty (24 hour bike ride
October 10 - Fort Yargo XTerra Trail race (5k or 8.5 miles)
November 7 - Powerman Georgia Olympic Duathlon

2015-03-31 3:48 PM

Master
, California

Started into a structured block today - for the first time since prepping for a St. Patrick's day HM over a year ago.  Nothing spectacular (4x8'@ ME pace - 7:10-7:30 for me), but MAN did I feel the fourth one!

2 week build, one week build/peak, one week mini-taper to Galveston 70.3.  Then two x (2 week build/1 week rest & test), 1 week peak, 1 week taper to Sweden triple Oly.  An oly thrown in on Memorial Day, I think, and a couple 5k's and maybe 10k's in the mix.  Might have to monkey with it a little for recovery from Galveston, depending on how that goes...

Then off to the Cape for July and maybe some fun races before another structured block for (probably?) Oklahoma 70.3 late September.

What do y'alls' (yes, that's a word here - don't hate!) race seasons look like at this point?

Matt

June: Alcatraz
July: undecided, maybe rock & roll half marathon, maybe Lake Stevens HIM
October: IM Barcelona

2015-03-31 8:49 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
Ontario

Rusty - just curious, what type of time do you consider a "fast" century?

2015-04-01 8:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
May 10: IM Vietnam 70.3
After that: Depends on how the race goes and as yet to be determined summer plans.
If race goes well, probably a hometown race (Tri at the Grove), either the sprint or the Oly. (Probably the latter. I still want my sub-2:40. If I can do 2:41 when so injured that I can barely swim straight, hold aero, or bend over in transition, it's GOT to be doable!) Plus there's always the chance to get my butt kicked again. Last year I think #1-2 in 45-49 were under 2:30, and I barely beat the women's 60-64 winner on the bike. Crazy fast ladies!

If IM Vietnam doesn't go well or gets cancelled or something (I have my worries due to the timing at what could be beginning of rainy season), I might sign up for a July 70.3, probably Chelanman again or maybe IM Lake Stevens if it's still open. Really DON'T want to do that, but I feel like if I trained for it, I want to race it!

Beyond that, maybe one or two fall Olys in Singapore, especially if they bring back the aquathlon. (What races are offered, when, and by whom varies a lot year to year and we often don't get more than a few months notice.)

Next year our school will be going through a lot of major changes; I'll also be finishing the most demanding of a five course series I'm taking, and possibly looking for a new job. It might just be fun-running and general maintenance until things are more under control.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-04-01 8:17 AM
2015-04-01 11:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
, California

I really wish Rev3 hadn't killed their Portland race... I'd much prefer that to Lake Stevens.

2015-04-01 11:52 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Here is my tentative schedule for the season

May 9 - Mother's Day TT - 19k, I went 30:00 (not 29:59) last time I did this two years ago.
May 17th - China Point sprint Duathlon
May 30th - Red Island Relay w/ Tab. 7.5k + 10k run
June 7 - Escape from Alcatraz
July 19 - Summerside TriLobster (Spr or Oly) or Chaleur (Spr)
Aug 23 - Three Rivers Tri, Brudenell (S or O)
Aug 28-30 - Gran Fondo PEI (will ride w/ Tab)
Sept ? - Brackley Du (S or O)
Oct 18 - PEI Half Marathon

The race on the 30th is up in the air, will decide as it gets closer whether or not to race that close to Alcatraz.  On top of all of that, Cycling PEI has said they will be doing another TT series that I will likely do as well.  There were 3 last year but I think they are looking to do a few more.  I'll likely also do a bike race or two.  After the tri at the end of August, I'm going to really focus on the HM and see what kind of time I can put down there.

2015-04-01 1:19 PM

User image

Not a lot on the schedule for me as there isn't a lot of bike racing here.

2 TTs, 3 road races, Cycle to the Sun, and the CX series later in the winter.  I might try to do the bike leg of a Oly relay if I can find a team.

2015-04-02 6:16 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just found out that 2-mile OWS Nationals are nearby my hometown in June. Not sure what the deal is with entry but think I'm going to look into that! I've wanted to try some long swim races but there aren't many here. I'm sure I'll get my butt kicked--I'm a decent swimmer for a 45 year-old female triathlete (did a recent 3K time trial in 50:51) but, looking at the USMS times for the 3K pool swim and one-hour time trial, I'd probably only be competitive if I was over 70!
2015-04-02 6:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Here is my tentative schedule for the season

May 9 - Mother's Day TT - 19k, I went 30:00 (not 29:59) last time I did this two years ago.
May 17th - China Point sprint Duathlon
May 30th - Red Island Relay w/ Tab. 7.5k + 10k run
June 7 - Escape from Alcatraz
July 19 - Summerside TriLobster (Spr or Oly) or Chaleur (Spr)
Aug 23 - Three Rivers Tri, Brudenell (S or O)
Aug 28-30 - Gran Fondo PEI (will ride w/ Tab)
Sept ? - Brackley Du (S or O)
Oct 18 - PEI Half Marathon

The race on the 30th is up in the air, will decide as it gets closer whether or not to race that close to Alcatraz.  On top of all of that, Cycling PEI has said they will be doing another TT series that I will likely do as well.  There were 3 last year but I think they are looking to do a few more.  I'll likely also do a bike race or two.  After the tri at the end of August, I'm going to really focus on the HM and see what kind of time I can put down there.

Arend,

Canadian Masters Nationals are in Montreal in May 15-18th.

Not interested ?

What kind of fish does duathlons ? Ah yes, the ones that are snow covered until May 25th....
2015-04-02 8:21 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcagArend, Canadian Masters Nationals are in Montreal in May 15-18th. Not interested ? What kind of fish does duathlons ? Ah yes, the ones that are snow covered until May 25th....

To be honest, I hadn't even looked into it at all but now that I have, it's tempting...  

Not sure if i could swing the travel and time off work for that and then again a few weeks later for Alcatraz.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).