BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-04-02 12:26 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
I've got a trail-filled summer. I am doing a series where points are totaled best 6 of 11. Also my big A type races are the mountain running National Championship and Pike's Peak Ascent. Finally my end of summer cap will not be a race but a long multi-day section run of the Pacific Crest Trail with another BT-er. I haven't planned past fall but will be doing cross country and then maybe figuring out a marathon or something. 

April 11:Squak Mountain 12K
April 26: Run Like the Wind 10K
 May 2: Grand Ridge 5 mile
June 20: Taylor Mountain 5 miler
July 25: USATF Mountain Running National Championship
Aug 1: Grand Ridge 5m-HM
Aug 15-16: Pike's Peak Ascent Half Marathon
Sept 5: Dash Point 10K-HM
PCT-Run: 105 miles, 25K elevation. 
Sept 26: Tehela 5K-HM* 
 Oct 17: USATF Trail Half Marathon Championship

2015-04-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

And here is last weekend race report!

2015-04-02 2:46 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Thanks Ben. 

I think we're actually saying close to the same thing, but you're more articulate.    Your description of 30-60" intervals, accelerating throughout and topping out at ~5k pace is pretty much spot on for what I call pickups (strides that accelerate, or pickup, the pace). 

I think of speed-work as being longer or higher repeats than a handful of strides/pickups, but I guess any work at speed is speed-work!

Matt

I think that speed-work is a really broad term and is used to cover all of the above. It can actually be quite confusing, so you are not alone

intervals, strides, fartleks, tempo runs... they are all speedwork. Like you said, any work at speed is speed-work! 

2015-04-02 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Thanks Ben. 

I think we're actually saying close to the same thing, but you're more articulate.    Your description of 30-60" intervals, accelerating throughout and topping out at ~5k pace is pretty much spot on for what I call pickups (strides that accelerate, or pickup, the pace). 

I think of speed-work as being longer or higher repeats than a handful of strides/pickups, but I guess any work at speed is speed-work!

Matt

I think that speed-work is a really broad term and is used to cover all of the above. It can actually be quite confusing, so you are not alone

intervals, strides, fartleks, tempo runs... they are all speedwork. Like you said, any work at speed is speed-work! 

Fartlek.  Still makes me chuckle, 25 years on (OK, so I'm a sophomore - or maybe just a 'more). 

Anyway, I did 6 x slight downhill strides in the middle of an easy workout this morning (as prescribed), and it definitely felt like speed work, even though they were only 20" each with a walk-back recovery!

Matt

2015-04-03 9:53 AM

User image

Is this group still open for mentor-ship? I'm trying to find a group of like-minded people to talk triathlon with. I did my 2nd Olympic tri last Sept (1st one was in 2005) and got hooked. I'm registered for 3 Olympic races this year and like everybody else, I'm trying to figure out how best to kick a*s and take names!
2015-04-03 10:03 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by TXTriRookIs this group still open for mentor-ship? I'm trying to find a group of like-minded people to talk triathlon with. I did my 2nd Olympic tri last Sept (1st one was in 2005) and got hooked. I'm registered for 3 Olympic races this year and like everybody else, I'm trying to figure out how best to kick a*s and take names!

Howdy - welcome aboard! This group is always open and we never close. The only real caveat is that in order to take names we require you to use your real one. If you are up for that read the guidelines on the very first page of this thread, and tell us a little about yourself. The smart folks in tbe group will have you kicking but in no time.

Again, welcome!

2015-04-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Great, fair enough. Here's my info.

Name: Justin
Race focus: Olympic (for now)
Current training: Swimming and running, mostly because those are my weakest disciplines
This year's races: 2 local Dallas races and Age Group Nationals in Aug
Weather preference: I'm originally from Canada so the cooler the better
2015-04-03 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Great, fair enough. Here's my info.

Name: Justin
Race focus: Olympic (for now)
Current training: Swimming and running, mostly because those are my weakest disciplines
This year's races: 2 local Dallas races and Age Group Nationals in Aug
Weather preference: I'm originally from Canada so the cooler the better

Welcome !!

2015-04-03 11:09 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Welcome Justin!

When is your first race?

2015-04-03 11:10 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Is there something about this group that attracts Canadians?  LOL

Welcome Justin.  Don't be afraid to just jump into the middle of the conversation.

2015-04-03 11:16 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

I didn't realize there was Canadian's in this group. Now I know I'm in good company! My first race is called the Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon on April 19th.

http://www.bigearthracing.com/event-wiki-wiki-man.php.

I'm only doing Olympic races in preparation for the Olympic distance age group nationals in Aug. Is anyone here in TX?

2015-04-03 11:58 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by TXTriRookI'm originally from Canada so the cooler the better.

oh, good lord.

2015-04-03 12:16 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by spudone

Elaine, you're doing close to what I would do (take Thursday off).  I think I'd keep Tuesday at 5 miles and remove the speedwork.  That'll get you back into things a little easier since you're getting over illness.

Agreed, plus dropping the speedwork will make it more likely to still have some pop left Friday.  I know that when I hit the track on a Tuesday and continue running easily W-F, it's about all I can do to hit my longer race pace intervals (for an HIM training plan) on Saturday.

It'll be more like a taper week without speedwork, but not entirely as you maintain the volume.  You might do some pickups to race pace (like openers), but for **me** I'd need to not do the track stuff that close to a TT of that length (where "pop" might be more important). 

Won't be perfect, but this seems a good balance (?).

Good luck burying the boys! 

Matt

I would actually turn that around a bit and do some faster running, *BUT* keep any intervals quite short and space them out. Don't build up a whole lot of stress at once. A lot of this is about getting your feel back. Reintroduction, so to speak. Especially coming off being sick, it's not that easy to really run your fastest if you haven't been doing it. Making it hurt, sure, but not sure about the actual speed being up where it should.

Ben, do you mean for coming back to running in general, or specifically for Elaine coming back this week and hitting a "race" on Friday?  I was focusing on that, rather than a general getting back to running approach, and I'm wondering how you're thinking about it (since it's different than I do, I want to understand).

For me (again with that caveat!), the pickups would get me comfortable with turning my legs over and would be part of the weekly runs (Tuesday, and maybe Friday but shorter).  It's just that "real" speed work deadens my legs for a few days, so a track workout Tuesday would leave me flat Friday.

I guess that's the important thing about knowing what works for you and what doesn't, and I'm wondering if you have a different recovery time from speed work.  Sure wouldn't surprise me if that was so!

Matt

Matt, I was pondering this comment you made. 3 days recovery seems ample. Do you think maybe you are doing those track workouts too hard? Or, what are the days like between Tuesday and Friday? 

2015-04-03 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TXTriRook I didn't realize there was Canadian's in this group. Now I know I'm in good company! My first race is called the Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon on April 19th. http://www.bigearthracing.com/event-wiki-wiki-man.php.I'm only doing Olympic races in preparation for the Olympic distance age group nationals in Aug. Is anyone here in TX?

Canadian AND Texan?  Wow, did you pick the right group.  Kismet...

I'm also in Texas (though "from" New England and have only been here a bit over half a year - so I'm still learning the local ropes), so a hardy howdy!!  Specifically, I'm in Austin - so I've been told by "real" Texans that I actually live in Austin and am surrounded by Texas, but whatevs... 

Wiki Wiki Man looks like a fun race.  Sounds like you have a great season planned - I love the Oly distance.

Again, welcome aboard!

Matt

2015-04-03 12:49 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by TXTriRookI'm originally from Canada so the cooler the better.

oh, good lord.

Isn't this how it always starts?

2015-04-03 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

oh, good lord.

Justin, don't mind them. They lost the one and only canada-us smack down and never got over it.

2015-04-03 12:57 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Now that I've been bitten by the triathlon bug, it's good to know there's some like minded people to BS/talk shop with. I'm in Dallas and moved down here about 2 years ago from NY (lived there for 10 years, hence the time off from triathlons!). I'm not sure about Austin being surrounded by Texans but there are definitely worse places to live! Finding hills for training is not easy chore here in Dallas. I hear finding flats is the challenge in Austin.

On another note, take is easy on us Canadians. We're sorry we're such great people, ey!
2015-04-03 1:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

oh, good lord.

Justin, don't mind them. They lost the one and only canada-us smack down and never got over it.

Glad to know someone else gets it!
2015-04-03 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Elaine, you're doing close to what I would do (take Thursday off).  I think I'd keep Tuesday at 5 miles and remove the speedwork.  That'll get you back into things a little easier since you're getting over illness.

Agreed, plus dropping the speedwork will make it more likely to still have some pop left Friday.  I know that when I hit the track on a Tuesday and continue running easily W-F, it's about all I can do to hit my longer race pace intervals (for an HIM training plan) on Saturday.

It'll be more like a taper week without speedwork, but not entirely as you maintain the volume.  You might do some pickups to race pace (like openers), but for **me** I'd need to not do the track stuff that close to a TT of that length (where "pop" might be more important). 

Matt

I would actually turn that around a bit and do some faster running, *BUT* keep any intervals quite short and space them out. Don't build up a whole lot of stress at once. A lot of this is about getting your feel back. Reintroduction, so to speak. Especially coming off being sick, it's not that easy to really run your fastest if you haven't been doing it. Making it hurt, sure, but not sure about the actual speed being up where it should.

Ben, do you mean for coming back to running in general, or specifically for Elaine coming back this week and hitting a "race" on Friday?  I was focusing on that, rather than a general getting back to running approach, and I'm wondering how you're thinking about it (since it's different than I do, I want to understand).

For me (again with that caveat!), the pickups would get me comfortable with turning my legs over and would be part of the weekly runs (Tuesday, and maybe Friday but shorter).  It's just that "real" speed work deadens my legs for a few days, so a track workout Tuesday would leave me flat Friday.

I guess that's the important thing about knowing what works for you and what doesn't, and I'm wondering if you have a different recovery time from speed work.  Sure wouldn't surprise me if that was so!

Matt

Matt, I was pondering this comment you made. 3 days recovery seems ample. Do you think maybe you are doing those track workouts too hard? Or, what are the days like between Tuesday and Friday? 

Really good question.  My answer is, as I'm sure you expect, "It depends." 

TLDR version:  Those track sessions are typically too hard, when part of an integrated run-specific or mutli-sport plan when the Friday in question is not the target race, for me to be able to perform at even a B-race level three days later - even with only easy runs on Wed and Thursday.  They are usually just hard enough to push adaptation targeted for that week within that plan, but that doesn't contemplate a race three days after the track work, of course.  Easily modified to bump Friday from a "training through" hard run to a B level race, but **FOR ME** I'd have to pull back a bit on Tuesday from a typical track workout (although that varies, as below in the detail).

Probably exacerbated by my continually advancing chronological status.    I need more taper to race even moderately hard than I used to!

Detailed answer (which I wrote first and then realized I must not have a busy schedule today):

During a run only (or mostly) build, Tuesdays are usually my track days.  The workouts are different from the beginning to the end of the build, and different depending on target race distance (5k, 10k, HM only for recent experience - I haven't done a marathon build in almost 20 years and just did whatever track workouts my running group did back then).  I'd also typically do a Tempo run on Thursday (my definition of which - regardless of what it should perhaps be called - is a start slow and accelerate throughout, finishing the last 2-5 minutes at about race pace or slightly above, then easy mile or two finish run).

The week of a race, as part of a taper, that Tuesday would be short efforts at or slightly above race pace, so not speedwork but not a track workout (if that makes sense), and no tempo run (still running, with two days before a race being off and an easy run with strides the day prior as "openers").  That keeps my legs used to speed but bleeds off fatigue.  Longer taper for longer races and such. 

By comparison to "training through," where I'd do a standard speed workout Tuesday and an abbreviate tempo on Thursday, plus the regular easy runs between (again, that varies depending on target race), I'm definitely more fatigued for a weekend race.  I would imagine even more so on a Friday race, but I haven't tried that (I will try it on the 17th of this month, actually, as I'm doing a Friday night neighborhood/town 5k for fun).

So, early in a run-program it probably would be OK (less accumulated fatigue and shorter track sessions at the outset).  Training through during a build for a longer multi-sport event or later in a run-specific block (where this isn't the target race), my legs feel heavier most of the time, compared to even a mini-taper, and I notice that the intensity carries forward a day or so longer when I have a longer and sustained training stress load.

So, if I wanted to go from a "train through" to a B+ effort on a Friday, I'd need to limit the amount of intensity on Tuesday to something like strides or pickups (depending on definition there!) rather than a set of longer or more intense reps on the track (like a day with reps @ 400 or 800s).

Long winded, but I hope that explains what I'm thinking!  Thanks for prodding me to noodle it. 

Matt

2015-04-03 1:45 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook

oh, good lord.

Glad to know someone else gets it!

Actually no, he doesn't.

2015-04-03 1:51 PM

Master
Northern IL

Matt

Matt

Really good question.  My answer is, as I'm sure you expect, "It depends." 

TLDR version:  Those track sessions are typically too hard, when part of an integrated run-specific or mutli-sport plan when the Friday in question is not the target race, for me to be able to perform at even a B-race level three days later - even with only easy runs on Wed and Thursday.  They are usually just hard enough to push adaptation targeted for that week within that plan, but that doesn't contemplate a race three days after the track work, of course.  Easily modified to bump Friday from a "training through" hard run to a B level race, but **FOR ME** I'd have to pull back a bit on Tuesday from a typical track workout (although that varies, as below in the detail).

Probably exacerbated by my continually advancing chronological status.    I need more taper to race even moderately hard than I used to!

Detailed answer (which I wrote first and then realized I must not have a busy schedule today):

During a run only (or mostly) build, Tuesdays are usually my track days.  The workouts are different from the beginning to the end of the build, and different depending on target race distance (5k, 10k, HM only for recent experience - I haven't done a marathon build in almost 20 years and just did whatever track workouts my running group did back then).  I'd also typically do a Tempo run on Thursday (my definition of which - regardless of what it should perhaps be called - is a start slow and accelerate throughout, finishing the last 2-5 minutes at about race pace or slightly above, then easy mile or two finish run).

The week of a race, as part of a taper, that Tuesday would be short efforts at or slightly above race pace, so not speedwork but not a track workout (if that makes sense), and no tempo run (still running, with two days before a race being off and an easy run with strides the day prior as "openers").  That keeps my legs used to speed but bleeds off fatigue.  Longer taper for longer races and such. 

By comparison to "training through," where I'd do a standard speed workout Tuesday and an abbreviate tempo on Thursday, plus the regular easy runs between (again, that varies depending on target race), I'm definitely more fatigued for a weekend race.  I would imagine even more so on a Friday race, but I haven't tried that (I will try it on the 17th of this month, actually, as I'm doing a Friday night neighborhood/town 5k for fun).

So, early in a run-program it probably would be OK (less accumulated fatigue and shorter track sessions at the outset).  Training through during a build for a longer multi-sport event or later in a run-specific block (where this isn't the target race), my legs feel heavier most of the time, compared to even a mini-taper, and I notice that the intensity carries forward a day or so longer when I have a longer and sustained training stress load.

So, if I wanted to go from a "train through" to a B+ effort on a Friday, I'd need to limit the amount of intensity on Tuesday to something like strides or pickups (depending on definition there!) rather than a set of longer or more intense reps on the track (like a day with reps @ 400 or 800s).

Long winded, but I hope that explains what I'm thinking!  Thanks for prodding me to noodle it. 

Matt

How hard are the tempos in comparison to the B-races? For me the B run might only be a bit harder, plus there is another day to get over the fast Tuesday work.

2015-04-03 4:58 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

How hard are the tempos in comparison to the B-races? For me the B run might only be a bit harder, plus there is another day to get over the fast Tuesday work.

A B race for me isn't about how hard I try to run it, but rather how hard I can run it.  In other words, for a B race, I still show up and race - which for me means going as hard as I'm able at that distance for that day.  What differentiates it from an A race is that I won't taper (or not much - maybe a mini-taper, but not cut a lot of volume prior).

A "C" race is one where I'm running but at a pace that is less than my best effort possible that day and might just be a hard run in the context of my training plan.  Still fun, and maybe harder than the plan calls for, but not by much.

So, A>B>>C for pace (usually - we all have "those" days).

**For me,** tempo runs, if they're a progressive build, usually finish at just above 5k pace or just above 10k pace, for the last 2-5 minutes, depending on what distance race I'm targeting (but almost never faster than a bit above 5k pace).  If it's a run where I warm up and then run a steady, harder pace, I usually think of those as threshold or threshold plus runs, but not tempos (my first coach defined tempo as that gradual increase in speed after a good warmup, so that's how it sticks in my head - and is also how whatshisname with the free plans defines it... argh... ummm... Higdon!   Knew it would come to me).

So, a B-race 5k is 5k as hard as I can race that day, but I won't be peaked/tapered.  That's still a much harder effort than a typical tempo run, for me, where I might only spend the last few minutes at 5k or 10k pace.

And, again, as I get a bit older, I need a little more time than in the past to recover from harder efforts.  Seems I can still throw down (for me), as the last two years I've PR'd every distance I've raced (haven't done a mile or marathon recently) - but I really need to be more mindful of making my easy runs easy and getting a good taper in, or I feel the fatigue lasting longer.  Wish that weren't so, as I remember how friggin' bouncy I used to be ALL THE TIME (even just 5 or 6 years ago).  Still beats the alternative...

Matt

2015-04-03 6:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

A B race for me isn't about how hard I try to run it, but rather how hard I can run it.  In other words, for a B race, I still show up and race - which for me means going as hard as I'm able at that distance for that day.  What differentiates it from an A race is that I won't taper (or not much - maybe a mini-taper, but not cut a lot of volume prior).

A "C" race is one where I'm running but at a pace that is less than my best effort possible that day and might just be a hard run in the context of my training plan.  Still fun, and maybe harder than the plan calls for, but not by much.

So, A>B>>C for pace (usually - we all have "those" days).

**For me,** tempo runs, if they're a progressive build, usually finish at just above 5k pace or just above 10k pace, for the last 2-5 minutes, depending on what distance race I'm targeting (but almost never faster than a bit above 5k pace).  If it's a run where I warm up and then run a steady, harder pace, I usually think of those as threshold or threshold plus runs, but not tempos (my first coach defined tempo as that gradual increase in speed after a good warmup, so that's how it sticks in my head - and is also how whatshisname with the free plans defines it... argh... ummm... Higdon!   Knew it would come to me).

So, a B-race 5k is 5k as hard as I can race that day, but I won't be peaked/tapered.  That's still a much harder effort than a typical tempo run, for me, where I might only spend the last few minutes at 5k or 10k pace.

And, again, as I get a bit older, I need a little more time than in the past to recover from harder efforts.  Seems I can still throw down (for me), as the last two years I've PR'd every distance I've raced (haven't done a mile or marathon recently) - but I really need to be more mindful of making my easy runs easy and getting a good taper in, or I feel the fatigue lasting longer.  Wish that weren't so, as I remember how friggin' bouncy I used to be ALL THE TIME (even just 5 or 6 years ago).  Still beats the alternative...

Matt

Well, I don't mean to pick on things, but it's still kind of piece work here. I'm not quite sure if you're sure of how to explain things. Doing tempo work in the fall, I might do 20- 30' long. Pace would be near T-pace and could often start 10-20"/mi slower than T-pace and building up the first half. Second half holding right at T-pace, maybe finish just slightly over if feeling really good. Previously I'd done them like this, but at a lower effort. I was using HR more then and would end up more in the lower end of Z4. Now you could go do this exactly as there is a duration and a description of the entire set, not just the last part of it.

For the race, I would expect it to be faster than T-pace since it's a 5k. Haven't thought enough to figure how much faster, but I'd likely be ok with it so long as it was faster than T-pace since it's not a primary one. "As hard as I can" doesn't really say much to what you did, just to how hard you tried. That's probably going to happen regardless of your energy level going in. Sometimes I wouldn't be able to go more than, or even reach T-pace. That's still "as hard as I can", but would show that I was much too fatigued going in to have the race I wanted. The work earlier in the week was too much.

Then for track work, it's still kind of a vague concept. I don't know what you're doing for the sets or basing your pacing off of. Like Adrienne, I'm still wondering if you're doing too much somewhere if you're really struggling to get another faster run 3-4 days later. Running fast can feel quite hard in the moment (and a little after), but often times you stop doing them before your pace actually falls off. Sometimes you push to check, but more often you still have some left over. Being a triathlete, you might also have some biking and swimming in there to take another look at as well. In which case you would have some decisions to make about your priorities.

2015-04-03 10:15 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

oh, good lord.

Another Canuck - the group can never have enough of us!

2015-04-04 5:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Update on the bottle cage issue--Remembered that we have another Taiwanese-run bike shop in the neighborhood dedicated to really high-end stuff and paid them a visit. (Normally I don't got there because their stuff is too expensive.) Managed to communicate the issue in Chinglish and they supposedly have something that will attach two bottles on order and due in next week. I left my contact info with them; hopefully will luck out. Otherwise it's going to be innovation with zip ties. Would definitely like to practice in/out with the bottles well before the race. On the minus side (big minus) my water delivery company no longer delivers within a half-day time frame, so I'm running out of drinking water with no good alternative besides hauling 5-liter jugs from the store every few days, or getting the usual 20-liter ones by taxi then maybe 50m and two flights of stairs into my apartment. (That plus cat litter probably has a lot to do with why I'm pretty strong for my size.) Maybe this would go in a "Third World Problems" thread on COJ?

Besides that just feel like whining--Due to other commitments tomorrow I did a run-bike-run brick today (56min/2:31/44 min.) and it was 98 when I finished, with high humidity. Plus the usual Kona-style winds in the industrial park, plus extensive tree-trimming that left crap all over the road (they were "sweeping" it up with branches!) and resulted in less shade for next week's ride, plus getting stuck behind a bus pulling out of a dusty parking lot on the way back. Bleh! It was an HTFU Special and one workout I'm glad to see the back of. Three more weeks till taper!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-04-04 5:26 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).