Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-04-04 5:37 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by Hot Runner Update on the bottle cage issue--Remembered that we have another Taiwanese-run bike shop in the neighborhood dedicated to really high-end stuff and paid them a visit. (Normally I don't got there because their stuff is too expensive.) Managed to communicate the issue in Chinglish and they supposedly have something that will attach two bottles on order and due in next week. I left my contact info with them; hopefully will luck out. Otherwise it's going to be innovation with zip ties. Would definitely like to practice in/out with the bottles well before the race. On the minus side (big minus) my water delivery company no longer delivers within a half-day time frame, so I'm running out of drinking water with no good alternative besides hauling 5-liter jugs from the store every few days, or getting the usual 20-liter ones by taxi then maybe 50m and two flights of stairs into my apartment. (That plus cat litter probably has a lot to do with why I'm pretty strong for my size.) Maybe this would go in a "Third World Problems" thread on COJ? Besides that just feel like whining--Due to other commitments tomorrow I did a run-bike-run brick today (56min/2:31/44 min.) and it was 98 when I finished, with high humidity. Plus the usual Kona-style winds in the industrial park, plus extensive tree-trimming that left crap all over the road (they were "sweeping" it up with branches!) and resulted in less shade for next week's ride, plus getting stuck behind a bus pulling out of a dusty parking lot on the way back. Bleh! It was an HTFU Special and one workout I'm glad to see the back of. Three more weeks till taper!

Sounds like the kind of workout that if you can survive that, the race will be a piece of cake.  

2015-04-04 5:57 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
At least during the race (well, on the run, not sure I dare to stop at the bike aid stations after seeing so many crashes there in other races and am going to avoid it unless absolutely necessary) there will be nice people offering cold drinks and sponges. That's the one thing missing from my weekly fantasies of "I am Chrissy/Rinny winning Kona"! Tried to run through a sprinkler last week and the water was warm! I do have a "krana" (Cambodian scarf that's popular here) with crystals in it that become a cool gel when wet, even in crazy hot conditions, but of course forgot it on my second run today! Thinking of wearing it in the race--would definitely add some local color to my tri suit. In many cases, yes, racing is easier than training, especially at this time of year.
2015-04-04 9:42 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

How hard are the tempos in comparison to the B-races? For me the B run might only be a bit harder, plus there is another day to get over the fast Tuesday work.

A B race for me isn't about how hard I try to run it, but rather how hard I can run it.  In other words, for a B race, I still show up and race - which for me means going as hard as I'm able at that distance for that day.  What differentiates it from an A race is that I won't taper (or not much - maybe a mini-taper, but not cut a lot of volume prior).

A "C" race is one where I'm running but at a pace that is less than my best effort possible that day and might just be a hard run in the context of my training plan.  Still fun, and maybe harder than the plan calls for, but not by much.

So, A>B>>C for pace (usually - we all have "those" days).

**For me,** tempo runs, if they're a progressive build, usually finish at just above 5k pace or just above 10k pace, for the last 2-5 minutes, depending on what distance race I'm targeting (but almost never faster than a bit above 5k pace).  If it's a run where I warm up and then run a steady, harder pace, I usually think of those as threshold or threshold plus runs, but not tempos (my first coach defined tempo as that gradual increase in speed after a good warmup, so that's how it sticks in my head - and is also how whatshisname with the free plans defines it... argh... ummm... Higdon!   Knew it would come to me).

So, a B-race 5k is 5k as hard as I can race that day, but I won't be peaked/tapered.  That's still a much harder effort than a typical tempo run, for me, where I might only spend the last few minutes at 5k or 10k pace.

And, again, as I get a bit older, I need a little more time than in the past to recover from harder efforts.  Seems I can still throw down (for me), as the last two years I've PR'd every distance I've raced (haven't done a mile or marathon recently) - but I really need to be more mindful of making my easy runs easy and getting a good taper in, or I feel the fatigue lasting longer.  Wish that weren't so, as I remember how friggin' bouncy I used to be ALL THE TIME (even just 5 or 6 years ago).  Still beats the alternative...

Matt

Well, I don't mean to pick on things, but it's still kind of piece work here. I'm not quite sure if you're sure of how to explain things. Doing tempo work in the fall, I might do 20- 30' long. Pace would be near T-pace and could often start 10-20"/mi slower than T-pace and building up the first half. Second half holding right at T-pace, maybe finish just slightly over if feeling really good. Previously I'd done them like this, but at a lower effort. I was using HR more then and would end up more in the lower end of Z4. Now you could go do this exactly as there is a duration and a description of the entire set, not just the last part of it.

For the race, I would expect it to be faster than T-pace since it's a 5k. Haven't thought enough to figure how much faster, but I'd likely be ok with it so long as it was faster than T-pace since it's not a primary one. "As hard as I can" doesn't really say much to what you did, just to how hard you tried. That's probably going to happen regardless of your energy level going in. Sometimes I wouldn't be able to go more than, or even reach T-pace. That's still "as hard as I can", but would show that I was much too fatigued going in to have the race I wanted. The work earlier in the week was too much.

Then for track work, it's still kind of a vague concept. I don't know what you're doing for the sets or basing your pacing off of. Like Adrienne, I'm still wondering if you're doing too much somewhere if you're really struggling to get another faster run 3-4 days later. Running fast can feel quite hard in the moment (and a little after), but often times you stop doing them before your pace actually falls off. Sometimes you push to check, but more often you still have some left over. Being a triathlete, you might also have some biking and swimming in there to take another look at as well. In which case you would have some decisions to make about your priorities.

Um, I think this is going sideways.  The original discussion was around popping off a strong couple miles on a Friday in the middle of a build block (to another race) with hard work on a Tuesday.

I'm not trying to figure out how to run a 5k within a training block - that was just an example after questions around why my legs would be tired if I'd done a track workout on Tuesday and a tempo on Thursday within a training build and tried to run a 5k with a competitive time on a Friday...  What I'm saying is that during a typical build, I do track work on Tuesdays.  That workout varies across a block (think of it as across 12 weeks).  I also do a tempo run on Thursdays, which I am able to hit just fine.  That's all by way of description to answer why I'm tired by Friday!  

So, to try to get a good time on a Friday (Elaine's original question), with that schedule on a Tuesday/Thursday in the context of a build (or at least what my build's look like), I'd have too much fatigue built up to turn in a good performance.  Hence my suggestion early on that **for me** I would need to limit the amount of speed work (of whatever kind) on Tuesday and temper my tempo on Thursday, in the middle of a larger build, to be able to turn in a good time for a short race on Friday.

The balance of the posts were explaining why that would be true for me in the context of training for another event.  I'm not trying to explain or justify what my training blocks look like and why, just saying what my legs would feel like at the end of a hard week if I was trying for a good time in a short race.  

I was merely offering what I would need to do in the context of the original question - throwing down a competitive time on a Friday time trial and how to maybe adjust THAT week's workouts heading in to it to lay down a good TIME (not good effort) without losing a week's build.

Still and all, a good opportunity to think these things through for me - even if no one else understands what I'm saying.  Elaine, sorry if it has not been helpful.  I've enjoyed thinking about it, but maybe I'll do so more quietly...  

Matt

2015-04-04 5:04 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Um, I think this is going sideways.  The original discussion was around popping off a strong couple miles on a Friday in the middle of a build block (to another race) with hard work on a Tuesday.

I'm not trying to figure out how to run a 5k within a training block - that was just an example after questions around why my legs would be tired if I'd done a track workout on Tuesday and a tempo on Thursday within a training build and tried to run a 5k with a competitive time on a Friday...  What I'm saying is that during a typical build, I do track work on Tuesdays.  That workout varies across a block (think of it as across 12 weeks).  I also do a tempo run on Thursdays, which I am able to hit just fine.  That's all by way of description to answer why I'm tired by Friday!  

So, to try to get a good time on a Friday (Elaine's original question), with that schedule on a Tuesday/Thursday in the context of a build (or at least what my build's look like), I'd have too much fatigue built up to turn in a good performance.  Hence my suggestion early on that **for me** I would need to limit the amount of speed work (of whatever kind) on Tuesday and temper my tempo on Thursday, in the middle of a larger build, to be able to turn in a good time for a short race on Friday.

The balance of the posts were explaining why that would be true for me in the context of training for another event.  I'm not trying to explain or justify what my training blocks look like and why, just saying what my legs would feel like at the end of a hard week if I was trying for a good time in a short race.  

I was merely offering what I would need to do in the context of the original question - throwing down a competitive time on a Friday time trial and how to maybe adjust THAT week's workouts heading in to it to lay down a good TIME (not good effort) without losing a week's build.

Still and all, a good opportunity to think these things through for me - even if no one else understands what I'm saying.  Elaine, sorry if it has not been helpful.  I've enjoyed thinking about it, but maybe I'll do so more quietly...  

Matt

Ha! Ok. But now I'm really lost on why the heck you didn't just call the Friday 5k a hard tempo, thereby moving Thursday's tempo to Friday!  They're almost the same thing in the larger picture. I mean, what's the time difference on them? You're what, near 20 min or low 20's for the 5k? Is the tempo much longer than 30 min? And I mean the actual tempo part, exclude the warmup or cooldown. The physiological response should be fairly similar, just more for the minute with the 5k race as it's harder.

Track work tends push a bit different (though still related) area and would tend to keep that session intact as much as possible. Anything else to consider?

2015-04-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Matt

Ha! Ok. But now I'm really lost on why the heck you didn't just call the Friday 5k a hard tempo, thereby moving Thursday's tempo to Friday!  They're almost the same thing in the larger picture. I mean, what's the time difference on them? You're what, near 20 min or low 20's for the 5k? Is the tempo much longer than 30 min? And I mean the actual tempo part, exclude the warmup or cooldown. The physiological response should be fairly similar, just more for the minute with the 5k race as it's harder.

Track work tends push a bit different (though still related) area and would tend to keep that session intact as much as possible. Anything else to consider?

My head hurts lol

But actually, I have to agree with Ben. I'd just sub that Friday 5K as my tempo. A typical tempo I do with my team is usually 20-24 minutes maybe, depending on the goal pace etc. Even If I ran the 5K in the upper 18s, low 19s, that is going to provide a very similar adaption as a 20-24 minute tempo, 20 seconds slower than 5K pace.  

If you wanted just a little bit more actual working time you could most definitely do some turnover drills or something after the race.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-04-06 2:40 PM
2015-04-07 8:36 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Good morning everyone. 2 quick questions for the group:

1. With my first race of the season (and 3rd ever) I was hoping to get some input on tapering. I was thinking of doing about 50% of what I normally do and taking 2 days off before the race. Sound good?

2. I was planning on buying a wetsuit before the race but given I'm yet to try one on and have never swam in one I'm hesitant to take the plunge before I'm 100% sure I'm getting the right one. Has anyone used any of the wetsuit rental sites online? Also, any tips for practicing T1 would be appreciated. I've have nightmares of me doing the whole race in my wetsuit because I couldn't get it off.

2015-04-07 9:59 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Good morning everyone. 2 quick questions for the group:

1. With my first race of the season (and 3rd ever) I was hoping to get some input on tapering. I was thinking of doing about 50% of what I normally do and taking 2 days off before the race. Sound good?

Lots of theories on tapering. I can only share my personal beliefs.
The amount of time for the taper depends on the amount of accumulated fatigue in your body. If you had been doing crazy amount of IM work, it can take a few weeks to recover from that fatigue. If you are doing substantially less volume, feel you are recovering well, yes for an Oly that sounds about right.
I like to do something like Wed some short race pace intervals, Thursday off, Friday some light s/b&r. Sat race.

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Also, any tips for practicing T1 would be appreciated. I've have nightmares of me doing the whole race in my wetsuit because I couldn't get it off.

Take a shower with your Wetsuit, get it nice and when, let some water go down the neck....step out of shower and take it off. be very careful of the order you do things in. Find a good youtube video if you can.
2015-04-07 10:03 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Wait...what...you're supposed to take the wetsuit off? 

Body Glide is your friend - apply to you, and possibly the suit, and things will be much easier in T1.

Edited by GoFaster 2015-04-07 10:04 AM

(Wetsuit.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Wetsuit.JPG (33KB - 3 downloads)
2015-04-07 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Quite the list of seasons people here have.  Very diverse, which is cool - should make for a great set of RRs!

Mine is more concrete for the first half of the season:

Cap10k this Sunday
Life is good in the 'Wood 5k April 17th (a small race in our new neighborhood)
70.3 Galveston April 26th
CapTex Tri Olympic Memorial day weekend
Triple Oly in Sweden June 27th
Falmouth Sprint in MA July 15th (or so)
LifeTime Austin Oly Labor Day weekend

Then it gets a bit less clear, but probably will try to do both Redman 70.3 the end of September and Austin 70.3 in early November.  Depends on whether I need a break by then...  Haven't registered for the July on races, but probably will this week.  The others are locked in (fate allowing - I've at least registered!).

Matt

2015-04-07 11:02 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TXTriRook Good morning everyone. 2 quick questions for the group: 1. With my first race of the season (and 3rd ever) I was hoping to get some input on tapering. I was thinking of doing about 50% of what I normally do and taking 2 days off before the race. Sound good? 2. I was planning on buying a wetsuit before the race but given I'm yet to try one on and have never swam in one I'm hesitant to take the plunge before I'm 100% sure I'm getting the right one. Has anyone used any of the wetsuit rental sites online? Also, any tips for practicing T1 would be appreciated. I've have nightmares of me doing the whole race in my wetsuit because I couldn't get it off.

I agree with the above.  Definitely a personal thing, in terms of how you respond and what kind of fatigue you're bringing in. 

I can only share what has worked for me, as well, and you'll get better at knowing how you respond with a bit of practice.  That said, 50-60% total volume of previous weeks for an Oly sounds **about** right (a good first pass, certainly).  I would also suggest making these workouts easy but with intervals of race intensity in the middle of the session.  NOT faster than race pace intervals, but something like 3x90" at race pace in the first workout of the week, then 2x90" at race pace at the next one with those intervals in the middle of the workouts (assuming a couple of each s/b/r workouts across the first few days of the week).  Then a day off and a day before race day as below, perhaps.

Also, some people do better with the day prior to the race off and others like to take the day before the day before off.  I used to take the day prior off, but found my legs took a little longer to come up to speed than if I (like Marc said above) took the day two days prior completely off (or a light swim with maybe 2x100 at race pace) and then did a bike and run the day prior, each with about 1x90" at race pace (NOT faster - it feels easy, but that's OK) in the middle of a short warm up and short warm down.  Maybe 20' each.  Just what has worked for me for the days immediately prior. 

Your mileage WILL vary, but all of these are decent suggestions and pretty similar, so you should be able to get an idea of what to try.

Bodyglide is certainly good, but the best product I've ever used (and it helps get my wetsuit off faster than a tux on prom night) is something called SuitJuice.  We initially found it to get the kids in and out of their wetsuits, back when we lived by cold water, and I've been using it on my arms, shoulders and calves/ankles the last couple years to really good effect.

I practice T1 in my mind before pretty much every race.  Swimming until my hands touch the ground.  Standing, putting my goggle up and unzipping my back.  Grabbing my goggles and cap.  Taking my arms out while running to T1. etc. all the way through mounting the bike at the line and how I'll get my feet in my shoes and settle in on the bike.  I do it several times in my head after I've seen the transition setup (so I think about the landmarks to get me to my bike location), and it makes race morning easier for me.  I also do it when I'm packing for the race, so I don't forget things!

Have fun!

Matt

2015-04-07 11:20 AM

User image

Thanks Matt. Looks like you've got a fun and busy few months of racing lined up yourself! I'm going to look for some youtube videos and hopefully will get my suit a few days before the race so I have some time to practice in my shower. As for the tapering, I like your suggestions. Part of my wants to sit on my and eat pasta for 3 days before the race so if I bomb on this one maybe I'll try doing that for my next race!

2015-04-07 11:32 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Matt

My head hurts lol

But actually, I have to agree with Ben. I'd just sub that Friday 5K as my tempo. A typical tempo I do with my team is usually 20-24 minutes maybe, depending on the goal pace etc. Even If I ran the 5K in the upper 18s, low 19s, that is going to provide a very similar adaption as a 20-24 minute tempo, 20 seconds slower than 5K pace.  

If you wanted just a little bit more actual working time you could most definitely do some turnover drills or something after the race.

C'mon, this is just getting fun!  LOL!  Really, I appreciate the back and forth.

The initial thing was that for me, I'd want to limit a track session on Tuesday if I wanted to turn in my "best performance" on a Friday of a training block.  Ben, I agree they're not exactly the same (track and a tempo run), and I would do just what you suggest if I was maximizing my adaptation for that week.  In fact, I have a 5k next Friday and it will fall pretty much exactly into this and I'll do pretty much exactly what you both say!   I just was responding to what I think is a slightly different question from Elaine that I interpreted as really cranking a 2-miler on Friday during a build block.

For me to turn in my best time (and Salty, that might only be 20"/mile faster than swapping my tempo run), I'd need to limit work on Tuesday or I might be a little flat on Friday.  But that's splitting hairs somewhat - the difference among "best time without tapering," "best time," and "decent time while maintaining adaptation toward another goal" - so I'll relent. 

All very good and constructive, at least for me.  So, thanks!

I'll let you know how the 10k this weekend and the 5k next week go. 

And good luck Elaine!

Matt

2015-04-07 9:35 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by TXTriRook Good morning everyone. 2 quick questions for the group: 1. With my first race of the season (and 3rd ever) I was hoping to get some input on tapering. I was thinking of doing about 50% of what I normally do and taking 2 days off before the race. Sound good?
Lots of theories on tapering. I can only share my personal beliefs. The amount of time for the taper depends on the amount of accumulated fatigue in your body. If you had been doing crazy amount of IM work, it can take a few weeks to recover from that fatigue. If you are doing substantially less volume, feel you are recovering well, yes for an Oly that sounds about right. I like to do something like Wed some short race pace intervals, Thursday off, Friday some light s/b&r. Sat race.
Originally posted by TXTriRook Also, any tips for practicing T1 would be appreciated. I've have nightmares of me doing the whole race in my wetsuit because I couldn't get it off.
Take a shower with your Wetsuit, get it nice and when, let some water go down the neck....step out of shower and take it off. be very careful of the order you do things in. Find a good youtube video if you can.

I found that for me I need to stay active and I normally prefer not to take a full day off.  Perhaps an active recovery day where I do something pretty easy with a couple of hard efforts thrown in.  I never want to take the day off before a race for the fear of coming out flat on race day, and on the actual day of the race everyone is again different, but if I have the option I like to get out on the bike for 15-20min.  If that's not possible then I'll run a bit + the warm-up swim.

2015-04-07 9:40 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by TXTriRook Good morning everyone. 2 quick questions for the group: 1. With my first race of the season (and 3rd ever) I was hoping to get some input on tapering. I was thinking of doing about 50% of what I normally do and taking 2 days off before the race. Sound good?
Lots of theories on tapering. I can only share my personal beliefs. The amount of time for the taper depends on the amount of accumulated fatigue in your body. If you had been doing crazy amount of IM work, it can take a few weeks to recover from that fatigue. If you are doing substantially less volume, feel you are recovering well, yes for an Oly that sounds about right. I like to do something like Wed some short race pace intervals, Thursday off, Friday some light s/b&r. Sat race.
Originally posted by TXTriRook Also, any tips for practicing T1 would be appreciated. I've have nightmares of me doing the whole race in my wetsuit because I couldn't get it off.

I found that for me I need to stay active and I normally prefer not to take a full day off.  Perhaps an active recovery day where I do something pretty easy with a couple of hard efforts thrown in.  I never want to take the day off before a race for the fear of coming out flat on race day, and on the actual day of the race everyone is again different, but if I have the option I like to get out on the bike for 15-20min.  If that's not possible then I'll run a bit + the warm-up swim.

Excellent point on the race day warm-up.  It's part of the taper/race prep.  For me, I like a short jog with a couple short strides and the swim warmup for a sprint.  For an Oly or HIM I usually drop the jog but really like to swim if at all possible (same thing - smooth with a couple accelerations to race start pace, but short ones).  Riding is nice, if you don't have to rack the night before, but not always possible.  Of the three, it's the one I benefit from least on race day (at least by how it feels).  Just my approach.  As you say, everyone is different!

Matt

2015-04-08 2:44 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Okay--more bike woes. I realize this would be a lot easier to answer if I had a power meter, which I don't.....

For three trainer workouts in the last few weeks, the same thing has happened:

I start pedaling and the resistance seems too easy. I keep going for a while to see if it's just because I have fresh legs, and am warming up, but even for the first, fairly long interval, it seems too easy, so my cadence is very high, even in my hardest gear.

I get off and tighten the resistance knob. It now feels reasonable as I start the next interval.

Somewhere in the middle/toward the end of a later interval (after maybe 40-50 minutes total at threshold, well into the workout), I abruptly "die". By this I mean I suddenly cannot pedal at anywhere close to the cadence I was holding. (It goes down from about 90 to less than 75). This is within seconds. No cardio issues or feelings of discomfort other than it has suddenly become MUCH more difficult to pedal. It feels like someone reached down and turned the knob way up (but now, 15 minutes after I did). I have to gear down two, three, once even four clicks to get to where I can continue; even then at lower cadence. It's like I changed to a much harder gear, and the gears just now shifted. But I didn't. WTH?

I suppose it's possibly fitness-related since it always seems to happen after 40-50 minutes of threshold work, and threshold by definition is what one can hold for 30-60 minutes, but I do get recovery in the middle of the intervals. Maybe when I tighten it I'm pushing myself beyond threshold? (But HR doesn't indicate that, only RPE and cadence.)

Also wondering because this has never happened when riding outside, with either of my two road bikes, or on my other trainer at home, only with the Cervelo on the trainer (CycleOps Fluid) here. In other situations the slowdown/cadence decrease might happen but would be very gradual, and not accompanied by the same initial resistance issue.

Any ideas?

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-04-08 3:12 AM
2015-04-08 2:53 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Karen, as I was half way through reading your post my thought was "I bet it's a Cycleops Fluid trainer".  I've read several people say they have a very sudden and noticeable shift in resistance with that unit.  My wife uses one and while she doesn't get the sudden change, there is a clear change in resistance as it heats up - it's very visible in a speed vs. power graph.

2015-04-08 4:53 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmmm.... could be. It definitely feels like it's something mechanical about my bike or trainer, not something physical with me. I know my body really well--have been at endurance sports since age ten. I can pace myself well to get through almost any workout, especially if I've done something similar before, and don't crash that quickly or in that way. If it were an issue of starting at too high a power/resistance level (or speed outside) it would start with increasing discomfort, then gradually my cadence would slow, and I might have to gear down one, over the course of several minutes, not one or two seconds.

Not sure why I have had this issue only with the Cervelo, and only recently. It is much hotter now than in winter. AC is on but when it's mid-80's and humid out it takes a while to cool down the room. I'm also doing somewhat longer trainer rides, or maybe it's something about how this bike fits into the trainer. Not sure what the solution is other than adjust gears and knob as necessary. A power meter would really be helpful in this situation! OTOH I have a colleague selling a CycleOps Magneto. My trainer at home in Oregon is a Magneto and actually I find it works better than the Fluid as far as providing a smooth ride and consistent resistance. Got the Fluid for here as it's supposed to be quieter but in reality there is very little difference.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-04-08 4:59 AM
2015-04-08 8:06 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Excellent point on the race day warm-up.  It's part of the taper/race prep.  For me, I like a short jog with a couple short strides and the swim warmup for a sprint.  For an Oly or HIM I usually drop the jog but really like to swim if at all possible (same thing - smooth with a couple accelerations to race start pace, but short ones).  Riding is nice, if you don't have to rack the night before, but not always possible.  Of the three, it's the one I benefit from least on race day (at least by how it feels).  Just my approach.  As you say, everyone is different!

Matt

I'm lucky that with the exception of the HIM's I've done I'm always able to take the bike out of transition pre-race.  I didn't always warn-up on the bike in the past but was finding in some races I couldn't get the legs to respond and it was taking a while to get going - obviously in Sprint and Olympics every second counts and I found that getting in a few harder efforts before hand just prepped me better.  That said, I don't see many people riding pre-race with most just doing the swim warm-up, with some others getting in a short run as well.  I'd say the majority don't do anything before getting in the water.

2015-04-08 8:33 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by axteraa

Karen, as I was half way through reading your post my thought was "I bet it's a Cycleops Fluid trainer".  I've read several people say they have a very sudden and noticeable shift in resistance with that unit.  My wife uses one and while she doesn't get the sudden change, there is a clear change in resistance as it heats up - it's very visible in a speed vs. power graph.

<p> I had the same thought. I use a Fluid2. The increase in resistance is sudden and typically happens 20-30 mins into a workout (assuming a 10 min easy warm up).  I don't have a PM but the impact is ~ 5 to 7 watts via virtual power using golden cheetah or TR. Fwiw my FTP is 149 using virtual power so ~ 5%.  I don't do anything to correct for it. I just know it's going to happen and realize that I may not be able to hold targets @ 100% once it happens although it probably skews my 20 min tests somewhat. 

2015-04-08 9:39 AM

Master
Northern IL

Matt

I'm lucky that with the exception of the HIM's I've done I'm always able to take the bike out of transition pre-race.  I didn't always warn-up on the bike in the past but was finding in some races I couldn't get the legs to respond and it was taking a while to get going - obviously in Sprint and Olympics every second counts and I found that getting in a few harder efforts before hand just prepped me better.  That said, I don't see many people riding pre-race with most just doing the swim warm-up, with some others getting in a short run as well.  I'd say the majority don't do anything before getting in the water.

I didn't used to think the bike warm-up mattered either, but late last season and looking back over previous results I found it did help. All the best splits/executions came with at least some sort of on the bike warm-up even if it was just super easy riding to transition.

2015-04-08 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I didn't used to think the bike warm-up mattered either, but late last season and looking back over previous results I found it did help. All the best splits/executions came with at least some sort of on the bike warm-up even if it was just super easy riding to transition.

I've really become a big believer in a good swim warmup.  I used to just swing my arms a few times and maybe a tiny swim if time permitted but last year I had two races where I had lots of time to actually get in a swim warmup and it really seemed to help.  Especially at Barrelman - easily the best feeling swim I've had in a tri and I got in a good 10-15 mins there as they had plenty of space to allow for it.

2015-04-08 10:40 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by kcarroll

I had the same thought. I use a Fluid2. The increase in resistance is sudden and typically happens 20-30 mins into a workout (assuming a 10 min easy warm up).  I don't have a PM but the impact is ~ 5 to 7 watts via virtual power using golden cheetah or TR. Fwiw my FTP is 149 using virtual power so ~ 5%.  I don't do anything to correct for it. I just know it's going to happen and realize that I may not be able to hold targets @ 100% once it happens although it probably skews my 20 min tests somewhat. 

Ditto.  Had the same thing happen many times, but not always.  Will usually happen between 10 and 30 minutes in.  Sometimes remains hard, other times will only be for a minute or two (which is harder to figure) and might happen a couple times.  I have a PM and notice a change of 15-20W holding the same gear/cadence combination typically.  I just adjust and hold the power, but it's clearly noticeable and backed up by the PM when it happens.

I've also noticed the slow drift up in resistance as the unit warms, but that seems to level off between 20-40 minutes or so.  Monkeys with my cadence during an interval (or makes my W spikey if it's the sudden change), but I've gotten mostly used to it at this point.  It does factor in to my wanting a new trainer (maybe a "smart trainer"), which I've been considering for over a year, so it's clear that it's a want for me and not a need!

Without a PM, it would be a strange feeling and tough to know when it's my legs shutting down or the trainer... 

Matt

2015-04-08 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Matt

Hmmm... OK, gonna try a bike warmup when able as well.  I'll take ANY help I can get. 

Matt

2015-04-08 11:33 AM

Master
Northern IL

I've really become a big believer in a good swim warmup.  I used to just swing my arms a few times and maybe a tiny swim if time permitted but last year I had two races where I had lots of time to actually get in a swim warmup and it really seemed to help.  Especially at Barrelman - easily the best feeling swim I've had in a tri and I got in a good 10-15 mins there as they had plenty of space to allow for it.

yeah, I'd rate a decent swim warm-up as notably more important. It's first and it's the most technical. The other two can get the blood flowing, but they really don't get the arms truly loosened up for a good swim even though I've been able to turn out power fairly quick. I don't know a run warm-up actually helps me as the bike would tend to override that anyway.

2015-04-09 8:59 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Rusty - just curious, what type of time do you consider a "fast" century?

Neil, sorry - good question, I kept meaning to follow up. When I wrote "fast century" it had more to do with course composition and rider attitude, not so much time, per se. For instance on the Six Gap Century a sub-six hour time is smoking fast, but there you start climbing almost immediately and never stop going up and down until the end. The Mt. Mitchell century has almost the same exact overall amount of climbing, but it basically rolls for the first 75 miles or so, and then you climb the remaining half of the remaining elevation in the last 28 miles or so. For me riding a 6:30 here would be a solid win, but choices that you make about initial group selection, etc make a HUGE difference in time at Mt. Mitchell, but not so much at Six Gap.

For the actual "fast centuries" for me that means a course with 4000~4500' of elevation spread fairly consistently (rolling) over the 100 miles, as well as groups of riders that are ready to hit it. Not all centuries around these parts have such groups - you have to know which do and which don't. In the best "fast centuries" I am not strong enough to ride with the 'A' group, and figuring out the 'B' group can often be kind of tricky. I start out by looking for the guys and gals with a couple of bottles on their frames and one or two more stuck in their jerseys (hint: ignore the ones that have bottle stuck all over their frames, those are all triathletes and they usually stop at every aid station to gorge themselves on food - heh). So all that said if I hit the right group shooting for 4:30 would be very good for me!

I think this weekend I am going to ride the 62 mile option - while I could make 100 miles by riding easy enough, I don’t think I could make it the whole way with the B group. Getting blown off the back at mile 70 and then limping the rest of the way home doesn’t sound like much fun. Although this century is know regionally for aid stations, so maybe that wouldn't be so bad toward the end (see comment above about triathletes and food).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).