2015-10-27 6:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by axteraa

Sounds brutal in the heat Marc!  I'm pretty sure I won't be doing that race again.    

What made you decide to go back?

- Friends wanted to do it.
- Choice in the fall is pretty limited and I did want to go into the off season with some data to build off.
- I needed to see if some issues were resolved.

I "think/hope/pray" the adductor issues are gone.
I may have found a nutrition solution with Generation UCAN.

Sounds like there are some positives to be had in there. Healthy is always very good (hear that Rusty?!)
And fixing a nutrition problem is always challenging.
I think it'll be a very good year for you Marc.
You deserve one.
Still a very nice race/time under difficult conditions.

BTW, I am trying to heed my own admonishments as I heal up from my bike crash (and 2 broken ribs) about 10 days ago. Being able to walk on the TM is a 'step' in the right direction. (Now if I could sleep through the night and get out of the chair at night...)

I saw the video taken at SOS for a 'Running' segment which was on the local network. I apparently made the cut declaring 'that's a big hill!' to the amusement of the cyclists around me and the photog peeps.

http://sostriathlon.com/images/

(I'm the knucklehead in a red trisuit pumped about finishing the 5 mile, 1000 ft climb at ~1:20 into the video--and on the photo on the still shot on the website)

Edited by dtoce 2015-10-27 6:14 PM

2015-10-27 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Your race report almost (not really!) makes me glad I was injured and couldn't race

Any thoughts on why identical watts resulted in seven minutes slower on the bike?  Was the wind more favorable two years ago versus straight headwind/tailwind?  I suspect you're more aero this year, so very curious!

Wind conditions two years ago were just about perfect.  My out and back splits were only different by about 20 seconds.  It was never a head wind or tail wind, just some sort of cross wind and pretty low.

yes, wind conditions were very different

In 2013 we had a cross wind that appeared as a very slight head wind going out, tail wind coming back
BUT, for the out portion, against the wind, you have the benefit of slingshotting slower waves ahead and being "protected" by the people you are passing that are on your right. Imagine the wind is coming from 2 o'clock so as you pass people, they are blocking it. They are shielding you from the wind as you pass them. On the way back you have a slight tail wind, and there are fewer people to slingshot but nobody is blocking the wind that is coming from the left. You are getting hit by it at 8 o'clock. You get full benefit. Winds were lighter, so it appeared neutral. I was faster on the way back.

This year was the opposite. You had a tail wind on the way out partially negated by all the people you pass. Imagine it coming from 4 o'Clock. On the way back you have a full on head wind, coming from 10 o'clock. No protection because nobody is on your left and there are fewer people around anyways.

The wind was double what it was in 2013

My CDA seemed pretty good this year. My only issue was on the swim. I had my sleeved try suit rolled up under my swim skin since you can't have sleeves. My swim skin opened up and acted as a parachute along withe the rest of my folded up tri suit.

Edited by marcag 2015-10-27 7:37 PM
2015-10-28 3:37 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

In other news, I'm going to start working with Shane for cycling coaching starting Nov 1st.  Pretty stoked about that.  

Also down another pound in the last week which is pretty good this time of year when I'm normally going up.  Made some changes to my diet which basically comes down to eating smaller meals and snacking a lot more on fruits, vegetables, or other healthy items.  Someone in the Facebook group made a comment in one of the weight loss threads that you can eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as you want because nobody in the history of the world got fat doing that.  While I know that wasn't supposed to be literal, I kind of took that to heart and use a lot of carrots, apples, pears, and papaya to cure the everlasting itch to put things in my mouth.

2015-10-29 3:57 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

What kind of races are you targeting, Jason?  Is this your first time working with a coach? 

2015-10-29 6:28 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Yes, first time working with a coach.  My bike racing schedule will pretty much be the same.  A mix of TTs and road races.  Main target will be Cycle to the Sun and then have fitness for races leading into it and after it.

2015-10-29 9:43 PM

Master
Northern IL

Seeing what happens?

Got in 65 minutes of work just over threshold. Trying to less ... no, there is no "less" in something like that.

2015-10-30 10:53 AM

User image

Perhaps your FTP is less lower than you think?  

Edited by Jason N 2015-10-30 10:55 AM
2015-10-30 11:04 AM

Master
Northern IL

Maybe, but would only guess by like 5 watts. Longer intervals on Tuesday say not to just yet along with HR at these power levels. I might bump it up in a couple weeks if I can stay consistent with the hard workouts. I've managed better on over threshold work this year, been able to hit hard things harder at times or do more of it.

2015-10-30 6:56 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario

Just back from a week in Mexico.  Sat in a sun chair, drank to excess, ate far too much (best all inclusive food I've ever had), and now race an HM on Sunday.    Certainly not going to be at "race weight" for this one, but not too bothered - had a great week.

Glad to see folks going the right direction.  As soon as the HM is over I'm going to start focusing on the trainer.  I also have a swim video of me, and some comments from an analysis session I did that I want to share with the group.  It's on Youtube and the local coach did not want the link shared since it has others in it, so I just need to google some software that will let me download and edit out the others and then post it to youtube again.

2015-11-01 1:57 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Cool on the SOS video. I signed up again for 2016.

In other news, got my run up to over an hour and got 7.3 in this morning with some rollers

2015-11-01 2:37 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Awesome news on both fronts Chris!

I did a second CX race this morning.  Fared a bit better than last week being a bit more comfortable with the course.  I also put a new rear tire on my bike that had some more bite to help with the traction on some hills.  Oh and I had a functional left pedal - that helped too.  

Here is a video of the first 5 mins of the race (not me - I'm behind the action shown here).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJXxfPIk94Q&feature=player_embedded

2015-11-01 3:57 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

That looks awesome, Arend - I could watch it over and over. I really gotta get a cross bike!

And just in case you missed it, here is what the sun looks like in Canada:

Canadian Sun

2015-11-01 4:01 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Great to hear, Chris - gives me hope. I am doing some short runs myself with walking thrown in. Sort of doing BarryP wrapped inside a longer walk. A little bit each day has added up to over 40 miles of ambulation this week. Got a little spinning on the trainer in as well. Hopefully I will be back to gripping in a couple of weeks so I can actually hold the bars and get some real work.

2015-11-01 4:02 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Neil - how did the half marathon go?

2015-11-01 4:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

I did a second CX race this morning.  Fared a bit better than last week being a bit more comfortable with the course.  I also put a new rear tire on my bike that had some more bite to help with the traction on some hills.  Oh and I had a functional left pedal - that helped too.  

Here is a video of the first 5 mins of the race (not me - I'm behind the action shown here).

7.7 mph, how are you handling those speeds? And in this case I'm actually asking as it can take some practice learning to go around those really tight corners. Not used to balance & handling when going so slow.

2015-11-01 4:26 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

7.7 mph, how are you handling those speeds? And in this case I'm actually asking as it can take some practice learning to go around those really tight corners. Not used to balance & handling when going so slow.

That's my biggest issue.  I lose a lot of time to the guys that can take the tight turns better than me.  There were several guys that finished ahead of me that I would typically beat in a road race.

2015-11-01 8:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

That's my biggest issue.  I lose a lot of time to the guys that can take the tight turns better than me.  There were several guys that finished ahead of me that I would typically beat in a road race.

I'm only 6" off the line, why is it taking three times as long to get around?? Why are these poles all over the place? I can't lean in how I want.

2015-11-02 4:24 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm only 6" off the line, why is it taking three times as long to get around?? Why are these poles all over the place? I can't lean in how I want.

Pretty much what I was thinking!

2015-11-02 5:01 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy

That looks awesome, Arend - I could watch it over and over. I really gotta get a cross bike!

And just in case you missed it, here is what the sun looks like in Canada:

Did you notice this in the video?  Someone thought it would be a good idea to import some snow - as if we won't have enough of that soon!

2015-11-02 8:05 AM

Master
Northern IL

Don't think Rusty knows what that is. The rest of us are willfully ignoring it.

2015-11-02 1:12 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
That's snow? I thought somebody had just dumped their cooler out....

2015-11-02 4:39 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy That's snow? I thought somebody had just dumped their cooler out....

I don't think people in PEI use coolers.

2015-11-02 8:36 PM
in reply to: #5079829

User image

Elite
Ontario
Legs are completely wrecked today - not sure why that happens to me after these types of races, but they take a crazy toll on me. Ran a 1:33 which I'm happy with, but at 10k I was on pace for sub 1:30. But the speed+endurace just wasn't there and I started to suffer and fade badly and was just hanging on at the end. Plan will be take it easy for a week and then start to work on improving the bike. May plan to run another HM in early March.
2015-11-03 2:39 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by TankBoy That's snow? I thought somebody had just dumped their cooler out....

I don't think people in PEI use coolers.

We only really need them for about 10 days of the year...

2015-11-03 2:40 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster Legs are completely wrecked today - not sure why that happens to me after these types of races, but they take a crazy toll on me. Ran a 1:33 which I'm happy with, but at 10k I was on pace for sub 1:30. But the speed+endurace just wasn't there and I started to suffer and fade badly and was just hanging on at the end. Plan will be take it easy for a week and then start to work on improving the bike. May plan to run another HM in early March.

Nice work Neil!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).