General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you "count" your minutes in swim training workouts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-04-28 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: How do you "count" your minutes in swim training workouts?
it's not a problem with biking and running since I just go the whole time nonstop.

but when I do my planned swim workouts there is no way I can just swim for 30-60 mins straight (If I could, I wouldn't probably need that training plan) So, do you guys count your whole time in the pool, or just the time spent actually swimming?

so, let's say I rest 12-15 seconds on average every 2 minutes (10% downtime) and I was in the pool for a total of 40 minutes. would I count that as a 36 minute workout or a 40 minute workout?

Also, let's say you are planned for a 40 minute workout but you end up resting 10% of the time, does that mean I should actually do a 44 minute workout?

Also, in reading the free training plans on this site they usually say something like "before starting this plan you must have a base of 30 mins running 30 mins swimming and 40 mins biking" does that mean 30 mins of non-stop swimming? because that seems waaaay harder than the equivalent 30 mins running.

I'm confused. please help.

Edited by themissj1981 2015-04-28 3:33 PM

2015-04-28 3:35 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

Subject: RE: How do you "count" your minutes in swim training workouts?
Whole time.
2015-04-28 3:43 PM

User image

Pro

I count it / log it as total time in the water. Anything else really unnecessarily over-complicates things!

2015-04-28 3:46 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I only count the time I am swimming (same with biking and running). I use a simple Timex watch and just hit start when I start, and stop when I stop  

Everyone does it a little differently, so really whatever you're comfortable with.

2015-04-28 3:48 PM

User image

You're over thinking it.  If you get in the pool at 5:05 and get out at 5:55, log :50, and log the sets you did, preferably with your splits for the main set (you can remember this or write it down if not).

That way, you will know as you progress whether you are improving.  I.e., 6 months ago you did 6 x 100 at a 1:40 sendoff, but now you are at a 1:30 sendoff holding 1:20s, or whatever. 

And don't just write down the total time and total yards and click "auto calculate" your pace.  That's kind of meaningless in the grand scheme.  You could have 200 yds of kick, 200 yds of drills, etc. that don't reflect your actual pace.  the only way to monitor your pace (IMHO) is to write down the set and splits you swim.

2015-04-28 4:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Originally posted by lisac957

I only count the time I am swimming (same with biking and running). I use a simple Timex watch and just hit start when I start, and stop when I stop  

Everyone does it a little differently, so really whatever you're comfortable with.

Same here and same sentiment. However you feel you want to log it and in whatever way is meaningful to you is how you should do it. Its your log. I do the stop/start with my Timex watch because I want to get a true feeling of what my per 100 yards is. Also, if I were doing a track workout I wouldn't count the total time spent at the track for my running, only time spent running. Same goes for the pool. But that's me and it does it make it the best approach.

Edited by Barkeep 2015-04-28 4:19 PM

2015-04-28 5:53 PM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

There is no right answer.  You can count your time however you want.  As you can see there are pros and cons of each.

Personally, I prefer to count minutes in motion.

2015-04-28 6:08 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

You're over thinking it.  If you get in the pool at 5:05 and get out at 5:55, log :50, and log the sets you did, preferably with your splits for the main set (you can remember this or write it down if not).

That way, you will know as you progress whether you are improving.  I.e., 6 months ago you did 6 x 100 at a 1:40 sendoff, but now you are at a 1:30 sendoff holding 1:20s, or whatever. 

And don't just write down the total time and total yards and click "auto calculate" your pace.  That's kind of meaningless in the grand scheme.  You could have 200 yds of kick, 200 yds of drills, etc. that don't reflect your actual pace.  the only way to monitor your pace (IMHO) is to write down the set and splits you swim.

This.

Total time in the pool with details of what happened during that time.

2015-04-28 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure about your plan but most people don't do most of their swimming non-stop. Except for the occasional continuous swim to dial in pacing or (for newer swimmers) build confidence, there's really more training benefit to breaking it up, which allows you to go at a somewhat faster pace, and probably to practice swimming with better form. I know some of the free plans just have minutes, but you can get plenty of specific workouts from various books and websites (my go-to one is [email protected]; if you have a USMS membership, you can also get them online from their website. My thought is that probably the "minutes" referred to are total minutes of swimming by an average triathlete swimmer (maybe calculate at 2 minutes/100m or 100y?). So a 30-minute swim is probably a total of 1500m, but that could be in sets of 100's, 200's, 300's, 500's, a "ladder" of different distances, etc. Some of it could even be kicking, pulling, or strokes other than freestyle.

Personally I record swim time in the following way to be consistent with how I record biking and running: I start a watch whenever I swim, and stop it whenever I stop for recovery between intervals. So my watch records total time spent swimming, not time at the wall. My bike computer only records time when my bike is moving, and I would normally stop my run watch if I stopped (say, to cross a street or stretch), so it's the same idea--time spent moving. If I'm interested in pace, I check the pace clock. Normally I'd just record the average time range for a set: For example--15 X 100m @ 1:55 in 1:35-1:38. The 1:55 means I was leaving the wall every 1:55, the 1:35-1:38 was the range of my 100m splits for the set.

Sorry if this repeats what others have said. We're having major Internet issues here and I'm only able to load the original post and sometimes the first few responses. Hope this is useful!
2015-04-28 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
All my training time for me is moving time only. This is true whether I am swimming, biking or running.

Since I use a garmin swim, it's super easy anyways, I just hit the pause button at the end of my sets, unpause it to keep going, and it gives a detailed log of my sets, rest intervals etc.

With that being said, if I wanted I could easily see the total times of my workouts as well. Thanks technology!

I'd rather have an idea of my total time and distance moving to compare from week to week, since time resting on the side of the pool, or sitting at the coffee shop isn't time I'm doing work, but at the end of the day, all that really matters is that you have a consistent system that works for you and your goals, and you can follow your progress.
2015-04-28 8:05 PM

User image

I just count yards :P I do masters workouts, or some kind of structured workout. That means I don't really think about time after.

2015-04-29 6:53 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Exton, PA
I always count yards, time does not mean anything if your not swimming.
2015-04-29 7:14 AM
in reply to: #5111542

User image

I log minutes swimming only, but plan all my workouts by distance. I note all the details about my sets.

Find what makes sense for you. If you are time crunched than total time in pool maybe better.
2015-04-29 7:26 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

This.

Total time in the pool with details of what happened during that time.

Definitely. Be sure to note the details. That is what's really telling you what's going on. What you do in the workout matters. A lot.

2015-04-29 7:27 AM
in reply to: #5111683

Another one here for logging moving minutes only. Not sure why people think its too much hassle.
2015-04-29 7:32 AM
in reply to: mike761

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mike761 I always count yards, time does not mean anything if your not swimming.

Well, yes and no. A 2,500 yd workout wouldn't be quite the same for someone who leaves at 2:00-2:30/100 vs one who is at 1:20. So to get about the same thing the yardage would be given a bit differently so that the time spent would be more similar. Might be what was meant, but not sure how many would realize that.

2015-04-29 7:33 AM
in reply to: danimal123

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by danimal123 Another one here for logging moving minutes only. Not sure why people think its too much hassle.
Moving takes more button presses than start and finish.

2015-04-29 7:41 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

As others have said, I just log the whole time of the workout but keep track of individual sets and rest time (which is the more important data). The 910xt watch makes this much easier.

As long as you are tracking with a consistent system that allows you to see your progress, then it doesn't really matter what you do.

Similar to a track workout, but in that case the total time does include "moving" during rest times since I'm walking or jogging. But the important data is the speed/time of the intervals (work and rest).

2015-04-29 7:41 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by ziggie204

Whole time.
x2
2015-04-29 7:51 AM

This. I think it was another of your posts that you wrote that you swim with a group? So you are already following a structured workout, correct? If you want to record the time, just note as posted above.
2015-04-29 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Agree with Chris here. What I do is log some or all of the workout structure i.e. warmup, main set, 5x100 @ 1:30 etc. so there's a record of what I did. It's your workout log so do as you like. If a plan calls for 30 minutes of swimming I'd try and swim all of that 30 minutes so my time in the pool would be 35-40 minutes depending on structure. But that's how I would do it.

2015-04-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I'll divert from the group a bit. I try to record time swimming-not total time. One of the most common problems that people have in the pool is taking too long of breaks. Doing swim intervals is fine, but generally, the breaks are too long. I am now using a Garmin Fenix 3 which makes my breaks much clearer/visible to me. If you're swimming with a group, it's less of an issue because they are sending away on set intervals. But when you're swimming alone or with a partner, it's very very easier to dink around for 2-3 minutes between intervals.

If I am using a plan that calls for XX minutes of swimming, I do a rough calculation of what my pace should be and do a distance set based on that time. For ease of calculation, I'll use 2:00/100. If the plan calls for 30 minutes of swimming, I'll make sure I do 1500 distance. If this takes me 35-40 minutes total (with breaks/drills, etc), fine. I know I got my work in. I'm almost always very pressed for time, so doing it this way forces me to complete my yardage and also limit my breaks.

At the pool that I use, I always observe people spending more time at the end of the lanes chatting it up. These people spend the same amount of time in the water as I, but swim half the yardage. It's not (only) because I'm a faster swimmer. They are always taking long breaks!

It sound like reecealan does sort of the same thing.
2015-04-29 9:33 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

But when you're swimming alone or with a partner, it's very very easier to dink around for 2-3 minutes between intervals.

??

2-3 minutes between intervals? Those must be longer intervals than I think.
2015-04-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by dprocketI'll divert from the group a bit. I try to record time swimming-not total time. One of the most common problems that people have in the pool is taking too long of breaks. Doing swim intervals is fine, but generally, the breaks are too long. I am now using a Garmin Fenix 3 which makes my breaks much clearer/visible to me. If you're swimming with a group, it's less of an issue because they are sending away on set intervals. But when you're swimming alone or with a partner, it's very very easier to dink around for 2-3 minutes between intervals.If I am using a plan that calls for XX minutes of swimming, I do a rough calculation of what my pace should be and do a distance set based on that time. For ease of calculation, I'll use 2:00/100. If the plan calls for 30 minutes of swimming, I'll make sure I do 1500 distance. If this takes me 35-40 minutes total (with breaks/drills, etc), fine. I know I got my work in. I'm almost always very pressed for time, so doing it this way forces me to complete my yardage and also limit my breaks. At the pool that I use, I always observe people spending more time at the end of the lanes chatting it up. These people spend the same amount of time in the water as I, but swim half the yardage. It's not (only) because I'm a faster swimmer. They are always taking long breaks!It sound like reecealan does sort of the same thing.
Well that is a bigger problem than just how someone records a time. Thats not a workout, that's social hour. I log the entire time and list specific sets and, depending on the workout, am doing 3200 to 4000 in an hour. Not much resting going on

saying I swam 3 hours this week means absolutely nothing. Saying I swam 11,000 yds tells me a lot more (but not all of it, as I would still need to know distances and splits) I don't think logging actual time is a hassle (logging all splits for all the sets is more of a hassle and I do that) I just think its totally irrelevant for my goals. Ymmv

Edited by ChrisM 2015-04-29 9:58 AM

2015-04-29 10:01 AM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by danimal123 Another one here for logging moving minutes only. Not sure why people think its too much hassle.

I don't wear a watch - calculating moving time would be a hassle.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you "count" your minutes in swim training workouts? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

30 minute swim workouts

Started by Danielfberlin
Views: 1015 Posts: 9

2014-12-04 10:25 AM yazmaster

25 minute swim workouts?

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 2494 Posts: 10

2013-02-20 2:29 PM bananatoes

Swimming Workouts when plan is minutes based

Started by BeginnerMan
Views: 1086 Posts: 6

2008-11-19 9:53 AM BeginnerMan

Swim Workouts - Minutes vs. Yardage

Started by JimD
Views: 969 Posts: 20

2007-02-16 2:58 PM AF_SGT

30-40 minute swim workouts

Started by tim_edwards
Views: 9940 Posts: 12

2005-11-18 11:05 AM Rocket Man
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
How important is it to decrease your stroke count?

date : March 30, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
The focus this month will be on decreasing stroke count and breathing on your weaker side. We’re getting into some pretty advanced-level workouts.
date : February 23, 2009
The focus this month will be on increasing speed in combination with decreasing stroke count. We're starting to get into some serious yardage.

date : November 17, 2008
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re continuing intervals. The focus will be on speeding up while maintaining good stroke technique, lots of stroke counting this time.
date : September 3, 2008
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle