BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-26 5:59 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by laffinrock

Racing Manatees!!!

June 27-28
MR Matt  - MS State Games (MTB) on Sunday
Kate - Tri For Real International Triathlon on Sunday
Tom  - Wednesday Night #2 on July 1

June 27 is Chris' birthday

Disabled List
Erin - knee
Yanti - under the weather
Chris - ankle

Wait, Yanti says she's off the DL.That means we have more racers than DLers.  Keep getting better, DLers.  Let's get that list down to nil!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO racers!!  MR Matt, no flipping over the handle bars allowed and don't do anything that would make you the Butt of any jokes, 'kay?

Yanti's just saying that because she's got a 10k swim coming up!

I agree with you Janyne, I think it's a big ruse so we don't give her a hard time about doing a 10k swim next week. Although she is here were we are almost free of mosquito born viruses (but not quite) so she may well be on the mend. Because of stupid work I haven't had a chance to catch up with them yet. Maybe today.

2015-06-26 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

June 27-28
MR Matt  - MS State Games (MTB) on Sunday
Kate - Tri For Real International Triathlon on Sunday
Tom  - Wednesday Night #2 on July 1

June 27 is Chris' birthday

Disabled List
Erin - knee
Yanti - under the weather
Chris - ankle

GO MATT, KATE AND TOM!

I hope that knee is getting better Erin, glad to hear the ankle is good to go Chris.
2015-06-26 6:40 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

My friend who is hiking the Appalachian Trail was passed today at about mile 1525 by Scott Jurek. He is on schedule to beat the record -but not by much, which is awesome, but I kinda hope he doesn't.  The record is currently held by a woman who completed it with way less support.  I'm rooting for her record to stand.  Still, this is amazing.

2015-06-26 6:57 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by popsracer

I don't know what I was thinking yesterday but I decided to run sockless.  It was very warm and I guess I wanted as little on as possible but what a stupid decision.  Had to cut the last mile of my run as my achilles was a bloody mess.  I was hoping to run a 10k tomorrow but not so sure now.  It is supposed to be very hot here this weekend.  Hope everyone has a good weekend.

moleskin, duct tape and socks.

I don't want to hijack but on a similar note, I am going to loose a toenail (middle one) after a bike run brick workout. Its only half gone though. Debating the tape it and deal with it for a while or grip it and pull. Both will hurt but what one gets me back on good training ground sooner? I also want it to heal properly and both methods have resulted in mixed success.

suggestions?
2015-06-26 8:19 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

I don't know what I was thinking yesterday but I decided to run sockless.  It was very warm and I guess I wanted as little on as possible but what a stupid decision.  Had to cut the last mile of my run as my achilles was a bloody mess.  I was hoping to run a 10k tomorrow but not so sure now.  It is supposed to be very hot here this weekend.  Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Ouch!  If you're determined to do the 10K, get some moleskin or something to protect that area and WEAR SOCKS.  If I were you though, I'd skip it, especially since it's going to be really hot.

If I wasn't really sure of all those other things working well I'd probably skip it too. Injuries like this are annoying, but the do need time to heal.

2015-06-27 8:11 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Happy birthday Chris!

2015-06-27 2:56 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Happy birthday Chris!

Me too, happy Birthday Chris!  I hope you are having a fantastic day.

2015-06-28 8:25 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Happy birthday Chris!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!
(Sorry I'm late)
2015-06-28 9:17 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by amd723

My friend who is hiking the Appalachian Trail was passed today at about mile 1525 by Scott Jurek. He is on schedule to beat the record -but not by much, which is awesome, but I kinda hope he doesn't.  The record is currently held by a woman who completed it with way less support.  I'm rooting for her record to stand.  Still, this is amazing.

Yeah but wasn't hers totally unsupported? I thought that put the speed records in different categories (supported vs unsupported )
2015-06-28 10:23 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yeah but wasn't hers totally unsupported? I thought that put the speed records in different categories (supported vs unsupported )

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought her husband supported her.

2015-06-29 10:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Very cool!  And yeah, I'm rooting for the woman's record to stand, too.

2015-06-29 10:41 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thank you for all the Birthday well wishes.

2015-06-29 11:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Hope that everyone had a great weekend and that you, Chris, had a wonderful birthday.

I went ahead and ran a 10k Saturday.  I did the 5k at the event last year and it really was a great event.  The 5k course was very flat and I assumed the 10k course would be the same.  1.5 miles into the race things were going great and I was thinking PR all morning.  Turned a corner and there was a monster hill that was half a mile of straight up.  It brought everyone to a crawl.  Felt pretty strong and got up ok but it took it's toll and there would be no PR.  Passed a few people in the latter miles which felt good and I finished strong.  Not the greatest time but I'll take it.

Had to hurry home as my wife was doing a sprint triathlon which started at 1:00 which I decided not to do so I could support her.  It was hot but she got through it.  As time goes on I think she is beginning to realize couch to tri is getting very tough.  She is doing the Seawheeze HM in Vancouver with me in about six weeks so hopefully she'll take the cue and get a few miles in.

Got in a short but hard effort on my bike yesterday.  At about 8:30 in the evening, my son (he's nine) asked me to go on a ride/run with him (he rides, I run).  I was beat and said, "Aww, I'm really tired".  He says, "Yeah, I am too but I'll suck it up".  How can you not refuse that?  I wonder where he gets this from???

Edited by popsracer 2015-06-29 11:42 AM
2015-06-29 1:19 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Good stuff Steve!!
2015-06-29 1:23 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Hope that everyone had a great weekend and that you, Chris, had a wonderful birthday.

I went ahead and ran a 10k Saturday.  I did the 5k at the event last year and it really was a great event.  The 5k course was very flat and I assumed the 10k course would be the same.  1.5 miles into the race things were going great and I was thinking PR all morning.  Turned a corner and there was a monster hill that was half a mile of straight up.  It brought everyone to a crawl.  Felt pretty strong and got up ok but it took it's toll and there would be no PR.  Passed a few people in the latter miles which felt good and I finished strong.  Not the greatest time but I'll take it.

Had to hurry home as my wife was doing a sprint triathlon which started at 1:00 which I decided not to do so I could support her.  It was hot but she got through it.  As time goes on I think she is beginning to realize couch to tri is getting very tough.  She is doing the Seawheeze HM in Vancouver with me in about six weeks so hopefully she'll take the cue and get a few miles in.

Got in a short but hard effort on my bike yesterday.  At about 8:30 in the evening, my son (he's nine) asked me to go on a ride/run with him (he rides, I run).  I was beat and said, "Aww, I'm really tired".  He says, "Yeah, I am too but I'll suck it up".  How can you not refuse that?  I wonder where he gets this from???

Your son sounds like a great kid and a real inspiration - evidently the apple doesn't fall farther than the tree.

I had a good weekend, but I'm sooooooo tired.  Swam 1,400 yds. in Friday and 1,600 yds. on Sunday.  That's the most I've done this year and it felt better than I thought it would, especially after Saturday.  Saturday, I tried out the bike route for my tri at the end of July.  OMG.  I'm really glad I did some recon.  I've never done that much climbing so it was a real learning experience.  Now I know that I need to back off at  the beginning so I have more left for the last part of the climb. 

I did pretty well during the first 3.5 mi. or so, which had a fairly easy grade.  Then we took a turn onto another road, which was significantly harder.  Stopped at mi. 4 to catch my breath, and again at mi. 5.  At mi. 5.5, I got off the bike (had to lean on DH to get my leg over the seat) and walked around a little, telling myself, "This is supposed to be fun.  I'm supposed to be enjoying this. I've survived worse."  Got back on the bike, made it to mi. 6, hip was starting to complain, quads were burning, I couldn't breathe, and I called it a day.  Then we turned around and rode back down.  THAT was fun.  Got up to almost 28 mph.  Wheeee!

We then drove the entire climb.  There's another 1.5-2 mi. up that is even harder than the middle part.  We're going back up this weekend to just ride that top part, then the following weekend to see if I can make it to the top, even if I have to stop a few times to recover.  Luckily the last 4 mi. are downhill.  Hopefully I won't fall off my bike at T2.

2015-06-29 1:33 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Your son sounds like a great kid and a real inspiration - evidently the apple doesn't fall farther than the tree.

I had a good weekend, but I'm sooooooo tired.  Swam 1,400 yds. in Friday and 1,600 yds. on Sunday.  That's the most I've done this year and it felt better than I thought it would, especially after Saturday.  Saturday, I tried out the bike route for my tri at the end of July.  OMG.  I'm really glad I did some recon.  I've never done that much climbing so it was a real learning experience.  Now I know that I need to back off at  the beginning so I have more left for the last part of the climb. 

I did pretty well during the first 3.5 mi. or so, which had a fairly easy grade.  Then we took a turn onto another road, which was significantly harder.  Stopped at mi. 4 to catch my breath, and again at mi. 5.  At mi. 5.5, I got off the bike (had to lean on DH to get my leg over the seat) and walked around a little, telling myself, "This is supposed to be fun.  I'm supposed to be enjoying this. I've survived worse."  Got back on the bike, made it to mi. 6, hip was starting to complain, quads were burning, I couldn't breathe, and I called it a day.  Then we turned around and rode back down.  THAT was fun.  Got up to almost 28 mph.  Wheeee!

We then drove the entire climb.  There's another 1.5-2 mi. up that is even harder than the middle part.  We're going back up this weekend to just ride that top part, then the following weekend to see if I can make it to the top, even if I have to stop a few times to recover.  Luckily the last 4 mi. are downhill.  Hopefully I won't fall off my bike at T2.

What kind of gearing do you have on your bike?  I checked my wife's bike after her race (it's my old tri bike) and didn't realize there was a 11-23 cassette on there.  She had to walk two of the steepest hills.  She would kill me if she knew that I had an 11-28 sitting in my parts bin.

Good that you got out to check the course.  You'll get further up it each time out. Come race day it will be a piece of cake. 

2015-06-29 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm glad that you were able to use the Beer Mile video as inspiration!  "People have done things harder than this.  People have done things harder than this."

Seriously, great effort out there this weekend!

2015-06-29 1:59 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I'm glad that you were able to use the Beer Mile video as inspiration!  "People have done things harder than this.  People have done things harder than this."

Actually, my RoadID says that because I know I have.  Climbing a hill is way easier to manage than 2.5 years of constant pain and 2 surgeries!!

2015-06-29 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend.  I didn't do my MTB race, which worked out for the better, as I just kind of felt off all weekend.  I was planning on riding 2 hours Sunday, and called it after an hour.  I'm planning on taking today off and try to get back at it again tomorrow.

2015-06-29 2:02 PM

User image

Denver, CO

What kind of gearing do you have on your bike?  I checked my wife's bike after her race (it's my old tri bike) and didn't realize there was a 11-23 cassette on there.  She had to walk two of the steepest hills.  She would kill me if she knew that I had an 11-28 sitting in my parts bin.

Good that you got out to check the course.  You'll get further up it each time out. Come race day it will be a piece of cake. 

I have a 12-26 cassette and 3 chain rings.  Should I try monkeying around with that a month out from my race?

2015-06-29 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Actually, my RoadID says that because I know I have.  Climbing a hill is way easier to manage than 2.5 years of constant pain and 2 surgeries!!

Shut up legs!

2015-06-29 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congrats to you and your wife!  Gotta love a 9 year old who can already give you guilt!!

2015-06-29 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Sounds like you've had a great 3 days of work outs and will be well prepared for your race!

2015-06-29 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Shut up legs!

haha, love that!  While not original, I often tell myself "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (but this may kill you)". 

2015-06-29 2:24 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Shut up legs!

haha, love that!  While not original, I often tell myself "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (but this may kill you)". 

That's awesome.  I'm gonna have to borrow that!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66631 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28062 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11852 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37279 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66321 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.