BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-08-25 9:30 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Salty, I hope your week is looking up.  Prayers for your friend and for your PCT plans. If only I were closer I would totally come out and support you on that adventure.

Speaking of adventure, I saw this quote the other day and I knew I had to share it here:

"Adventure, whether physical or mental, implies breaking into unpenetrated ground, venturing beyond the boundary of normal aptitude, extending oneself to the limit of capacity, courageously facing peril. Life without the chance for such exertions would be for many persons a dreary game." Bob Marshall from the February 1930 issue of Scientific Monthly

Ok now 20k race walking?!?!?!? Seriously!?!?!?! In the world championship?!?!?! Granted, they could kick my azz in a race but how do they not just bust in to a run????!?!?!?!??!!?

2015-08-25 10:43 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Finally back from vacation and catching up on all the happenings.  Special congrats to the PPA ascenders and the Iron manatees.  Some truly great efforts.

Seawheeze race in Vancouver was fun.  Had a descent run but not great.  Fun weekend.  Spent last week in Seaside, Oregon.  Rented a house with my family on the beach.  Had a few nice barefoot runs on the beach but last one was 8 miles and badly blistered my feet.  Next day though sucked it up and did a 12.5 mile trail run on the PCT from north of Seaside to Cannon Beach.  It was awesome running on the bluffs high above the rocky surf.  Trail was in terrible condition though and very technical. 

Good thing I'm back at work as I'm beat.

Thinkin' ya meant the OCT otherwise you went the long way to Cannon Beach

2015-08-25 10:50 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Salty, I hope your week is looking up.  Prayers for your friend and for your PCT plans. If only I were closer I would totally come out and support you on that adventure.

Speaking of adventure, I saw this quote the other day and I knew I had to share it here:

"Adventure, whether physical or mental, implies breaking into unpenetrated ground, venturing beyond the boundary of normal aptitude, extending oneself to the limit of capacity, courageously facing peril. Life without the chance for such exertions would be for many persons a dreary game." Bob Marshall from the February 1930 issue of Scientific Monthly

Ok now 20k race walking?!?!?!? Seriously!?!?!?! In the world championship?!?!?! Granted, they could kick my azz in a race but how do they not just bust in to a run????!?!?!?!??!!?

Thank you.

Yes, great quote about adventure courageously facing peril indeed! Naaaah, I'm attempting to keep us as safe as possible. We've got everything in order thanks to a great crew. Brad and I just decided to keep day 3 really flexible. I met with our crew last night and we went through every last little detail and they are pumped. Which makes me really happy, that they are excited about this and the adventure of it all vs. feeling like an obligation. 

I had to slow down and think for a moment, what the intent was for this run. It was simply adventure. Getting out and seeing some beautiful stuff and running an absurd amount of distance. No matter what changes we need to make or what adversity, we will meet the intent of this run. 

Some good news, the winds shifted to the east and has put our route out of the air quality danger. Hopefully that holds. Cooler weather is also on the way.

2015-08-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Oh, also, race walking. Yeah, I saw part of the MARATHON in the Olympic trials when we were in Eugene. It's wild because there are so many technicalities so there are a ton of referees to make sure they don't break certain planes etc.

And they are FAST! See, I should train with them. We have a couple of them within our club. That would certainly help my power hiking abilities

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-08-25 12:33 PM
2015-08-25 1:16 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by popsracer

Finally back from vacation and catching up on all the happenings.  Special congrats to the PPA ascenders and the Iron manatees.  Some truly great efforts.

Seawheeze race in Vancouver was fun.  Had a descent run but not great.  Fun weekend.  Spent last week in Seaside, Oregon.  Rented a house with my family on the beach.  Had a few nice barefoot runs on the beach but last one was 8 miles and badly blistered my feet.  Next day though sucked it up and did a 12.5 mile trail run on the PCT from north of Seaside to Cannon Beach.  It was awesome running on the bluffs high above the rocky surf.  Trail was in terrible condition though and very technical. 

Good thing I'm back at work as I'm beat.

Thinkin' ya meant the OCT otherwise you went the long way to Cannon Beach

That is so weird.  They definitely had PCT markers because I thought of you when I saw them.  It didn't dawn on me at the time that that didn't make sense. 

Edited by popsracer 2015-08-25 1:17 PM
2015-08-25 1:24 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Oh, also, race walking. Yeah, I saw part of the MARATHON in the Olympic trials when we were in Eugene. It's wild because there are so many technicalities so there are a ton of referees to make sure they don't break certain planes etc.

And they are FAST! See, I should train with them. We have a couple of them within our club. That would certainly help my power hiking abilities

Be interesting to get their thoughts at least. Considering that when you're power hiking it'll be up some seriously steep terrain, so not sure everything would be exactly as they are doing.

2015-08-25 1:31 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Be interesting to get their thoughts at least. Considering that when you're power hiking it'll be up some seriously steep terrain, so not sure everything would be exactly as they are doing.

Yeah, more than likely I just need to power-hike more to get better. 

We actually have a great loop to practice both of my weaknesses.

You can go up a very steep trail, (1.5 miles, 2K gain) and then back via a longer (more like 3 ish miles), more gradual route that is still somewhat steep to get some downhill running in. 

2015-08-25 6:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

That perspective has me wondering about your height again. 

Looks like it could be good! Wondering if there are steep sections without the steps, or at least spaced differently? Those can have the added challenge of fixing a specific stride length.

2015-08-26 10:34 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Breaking news: there was a McManatee sighting on strava this morning!
2015-08-26 12:17 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

That perspective has me wondering about your height again. 

Looks like it could be good! Wondering if there are steep sections without the steps, or at least spaced differently? Those can have the added challenge of fixing a specific stride length.

Ha! Well, I didn't take the picture.

Yeah, most of it is not stairs 

2015-08-26 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Any tips for night running? I am borrowing D's headlamp and have run with it, once.  There's a chance of rain in the forecast so that could add another level of interesting to the mix. It'll be on trails at the Angel Fire ski area.

2015-08-26 12:39 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Any tips for night running? I am borrowing D's headlamp and have run with it, once.  There's a chance of rain in the forecast so that could add another level of interesting to the mix. It'll be on trails at the Angel Fire ski area.

Your trail running training will be helpful because you're already used to being more attentive to your footing.  It helps to watch a few feet in front of you instead of looking farther out like you might during the day.  You'll have to tip your light down a little and wearing a hat can get in the way of that.  I had a spectacular flying trip last year when I wasn't paying attention.  Felt like a badazz for continuing to run while dripping blood--until I really started to hurt and then I started whining.   

Also, If you don't already have it, you might consider some sort of phone app that tracks where you are and sends a message to DH if you stop moving for any period of time, as well as a quick-dial 911 option.

2015-08-26 1:07 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Your trail running training will be helpful because you're already used to being more attentive to your footing.  It helps to watch a few feet in front of you instead of looking farther out like you might during the day.  You'll have to tip your light down a little and wearing a hat can get in the way of that.  I had a spectacular flying trip last year when I wasn't paying attention.  Felt like a badazz for continuing to run while dripping blood--until I really started to hurt and then I started whining.   

Also, If you don't already have it, you might consider some sort of phone app that tracks where you are and sends a message to DH if you stop moving for any period of time, as well as a quick-dial 911 option.

That's a good point I hadn't thought about.  I've tried several and none of them seem to be able to consistently work, even in the city, let alone on a mountain side.  Usually I text him every 3 miles or so. Maybe I'll set something up with my teammates.

2015-08-26 1:32 PM

User image

Seattle

When? My tip would be to run with it more than once to get used to it, make sure it meets your needs (some are meant for lighting the trail, some more for lighting a wider peripheral) and that it's comfortable for more than 5 minutes, make sure you have batteries.

Other than that, you have to make sure it lights the path where your eyes are, ahead of you so you may have to adjust it. 

2015-08-26 1:38 PM

User image

Seattle

Well, tomorrow is the day. We are headed up to the cabin in the pass tonight. 

Hopefully I've got everything! That there is 100 miles worth of clothing, food and survival gear. 

I'll be posting to social media if/when able so you can follow me there. Otherwise, I'll share everything when we get back.

2015-08-26 1:55 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by laffinrock

That's a good point I hadn't thought about.  I've tried several and none of them seem to be able to consistently work, even in the city, let alone on a mountain side.  Usually I text him every 3 miles or so. Maybe I'll set something up with my teammates.

It can be useful to have two lights, giving a light source from 2 different points. i.e. A head torch and one in the hand/or one worn around the waste(a few people have found they can adapt a cheap head torch to do this with a running belt.
If running with one lamp it can still be difficult to make out dips in the trails, rocks etc because of the cast thrown by the light. When you have two you get more depth of vision, if that makes sense.
Like Salty said, lights can vary in their field also. Some through a wide beam, ideal for the one you have low down, others are more pinpointed( good to be worn on your head so that it points where you're looking at.

2015-08-26 1:59 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Hopefully I've got everything! That there is 100 miles worth of clothing, food and survival gear. 

I'll be posting to social media if/when able so you can follow me there. Otherwise, I'll share everything when we get back.

You should do a write up and submit it to

http://www.sidetracked.com/

Who knows, you may get published

PS Really good online magazine that you can spend a few hours procrastinating.
2015-08-26 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

When? My tip would be to run with it more than once to get used to it, make sure it meets your needs (some are meant for lighting the trail, some more for lighting a wider peripheral) and that it's comfortable for more than 5 minutes, make sure you have batteries.

Other than that, you have to make sure it lights the path where your eyes are, ahead of you so you may have to adjust it. 

I only run in the dark, so my input is the bolded above.  The batteries matter, right now I'm going through them like Charlie Sheen goes through vodka. It looks like your burn time is way more than you need, if you start with fresh batteries.  But be prepared to have it on the highest setting, just for the sake of safety.

2015-08-26 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I thought of your color coordination when I was planning my Ragnar outfits. Consequently I have three color themes, one for each of the legs, and each theme has shorts, capris, pants, tank, t-shirt, long sleeve and of course bra and shoes.  The weather is looking low 40's to mid 60's so I wanted to be prepared.

2015-08-26 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Quick check in to say good luck Salty!! Have a great time and be safe.
2015-08-26 2:19 PM

User image

Seattle

I thought of your color coordination when I was planning my Ragnar outfits. Consequently I have three color themes, one for each of the legs, and each theme has shorts, capris, pants, tank, t-shirt, long sleeve and of course bra and shoes.  The weather is looking low 40's to mid 60's so I wanted to be prepared.

Yeah but do your shoes match your fuel canister and the pillows on your guest bed that you just happened to have inflated because guests were over???

2015-08-26 2:19 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by IronOx Quick check in to say good luck Salty!! Have a great time and be safe.

Thank you!

2015-08-26 2:38 PM

Master
Northern IL

Wish I had something to help, but my logic might go almost the opposite of what others here do. Though there are good points about finding what works.

2015-08-26 2:52 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Good luck, have fun, be safe, enjoy the adventure, and cherish the time spent in nature being active, doing what you love to do: run.  Can't wait to hear all about it!

2015-08-26 2:54 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Have a great time Adrienne! I could never pack that little for 100 miles! In fact I'm not sure that would last me a weekend at home! :D

All I know is the MORE LIGHT (more lumens) the better! I run a lot in the dark in the winter and DH and I share the Black Diamond Icon. Battery life is pretty decent but I've never tested it in the rain - it says it's waterproof!

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns/icon-hea...

Sounds like a lot of fun though!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2015-08-26 2:55 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66473 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27916 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11809 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37076 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66210 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.