Timberline Events
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 58s
Overall Rank = 29/35
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went home to change after work, then drove down and parked in a lot just outside the park entrance. Traffic was awful for part of the drive so I was worrying that I'd be late. I got there about 20 min. before the start. Whew!
Event warmup:

Jogged over to the bathroom about 1/4 mi. away, then jogged back and did a few dynamic stretches. I was anticipating a hot run so I drenched my hat with ice-cold water right before the start.
Run
  • 32m 58s
  • 3.22 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

8/10 women, .

Forgot to hit the off button at the end of the race so I think this time is long. The official race results got messed up too so I don't know the exact time.

HOT run. Roughly 83-84*. Accomplished goals: didn't run too hard, paid attention to heat effects on HR, worked on heat management, and kept from blowing up (just barely). Managed to stave off nausea/cramps by controlling pace and dumping water on myself. Really glad I had my water bottle!! Didn't drink much, mostly just used it for cooling.
What would you do differently?:

Other than putting colder water in my water bottle. Running in the heat is hard, especially when there aren't any aid stations. By the time I got finished, the water in my bottle was pretty hot and it took a moment for it to start cooling me off.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, drank some Skratch, and chatted with other runners. Met a guy who does MTB and CX racing so we talked bikes for a while before and after the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat. Not really a bad time and I wasn't really racing, but still, the heat was definitely a factor.

Event comments:

Another small XC race in the series. I really like this series except they messed up the timing for this one so I don't know my official time. Not that it really matters. I'm not in it to win it, just to get some interesting training runs. It's fun to get to know some of the other runners as well as the RD. This time, a number of volunteers were needed to monitor road crossings. Having volunteers out (including Alex) on the course was great, especially since I'm usually not running near anybody else.

Post-race, they forgot to put out the Noosa yogurts so we got to take home a bunch of them. Bonus!!

Last updated: 2015-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:58 | 03.22 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/35
Performance: Average
9:50 10:18 10:30 Avg. HR 171 Max HR 178
Course: Mostly flat asphalt road and concrete path with maybe 3/4 mi. of crushed gravel path.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-08-09 3:35 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: Cross Country Clash #6

2015-08-10 4:23 PM
in reply to: #5133956

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Cross Country Clash #6

Nice job! A kudo's to DH for volunteering!

The Tri for the Cure is run on the dam and I always feel like my brain is going to bake inside my head. That park seems to magnify heat

Yay for extra yogurt. I luv noosa

2015-08-11 8:57 AM
in reply to: #5133956

User image

Pennsylvania

Small field, wow!  Sounds like a fun series.  Congrats on learning more about heat regulation/effects and a big woo hoo to free yogurt! 

2015-08-11 12:03 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
managing the heat is half the battle! nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cross Country Clash #6 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cross Country Clash #5

Started by laffinrock
Views: 859 Posts: 1

2015-07-19 6:41 PM laffinrock

Cross Country Clash #3

Started by laffinrock
Views: 775 Posts: 1

2015-07-19 5:27 PM laffinrock

Cross Country Clash #2

Started by laffinrock
Views: 800 Posts: 6

2015-06-01 2:52 PM rrrunner

Waco Strider Annual Cross Country

Started by shornick
Views: 1278 Posts: 1

2006-02-04 9:27 PM shornick

Northampton Cross Country 5K

Started by Gwendal
Views: 1847 Posts: 9

2005-09-04 8:16 PM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2012
author : CoachCK
comments : 0
Snowshoe running is a perfect form of winter cross training for athletes in colder climates. Here's what you need to know to get started.

date : November 6, 2008
Find out how the Flexible Warrior yoga poses can help triathletes through warmup, cross-training and recovery sequences. This segment is a series of active, range of motion poses used for warming up.
date : March 6, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 9
Because for everyone out there, crossing the finish line is more about life than the race itself.

date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
Supplementing with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health improvement for a member with a diagnosed chondromalacia patellar problem.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.