General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon and coffee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-16 10:02 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Triathlon and coffee
I do not want to open a discussion on coffee being good/bad in general, but rather ask a question to those who train for endurance sports - if it's helpful/beneficial.
And the reason I'm asking this question is that I read some of your race reports ("regular" triathlons and ironman-like) and so many of you have coffee. There are also nutrition plans with morning coffee.

I have been proudly coffee-free for two months (and two days). But I was having a lot of it - 4 to 5 cups a day, with tea between those coffee-sessions. And I added tons of sugar (about 3 tsp per cup). For the last two months I've been drinking green tea with no sugar. I do not have any coffee cravings (surprisingly!), but after seeing so many triathletes having a cup-a-day, I was thinking - why not. Disaster will not happen, right?

I guess moderation/balance is the key, but I also wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks and have a great day!
Mary

2015-09-16 10:06 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Triathlon and coffee

Coffee is a life sustaining nutrient essential for any activity. 

2015-09-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I agree that moderation is key. I do enjoy a cup, or two, in the morning. Usually esspresso, with low fat milk, no sugar. I do not have one before a normal week-day run. I do have a cup before a weekend long run or a race. Three main reasons... I like coffee, it's part of my routine and gives me a sense of "calm", I like the affects of caffeine on my performance, and finally the warm liquid helps get "the system" cleaned out before a race or long run (usually). 

Edited by rrrunner 2015-09-16 10:10 AM
2015-09-16 10:18 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

the warm liquid helps get "the system" cleaned out before a race or long run (usually). 

This is interesting. I did not know that.
I do not feel any energy bust from caffeine, but I absolutely loooove the taste of coffee. This was my main and only reason I was drinking it. But I noticed in the middle of the day I felt so sleepy I was about to pass down in front of my computer at work... I was so weak I was barely walking. And it all was gone once I stopped with my 5-cups-a-day routine.
Mary

Edited by marysia83 2015-09-16 10:18 AM
2015-09-16 10:31 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I actually only recently got into coffee. And by that I mean I'll drink a cup once every 2 weeks or so. There were days where I was feeling the burnout from working too much and stressing about my 12 mile run that evening, so a cup of coffee actually really helped keep my eyes open and legs moving.

2015-09-16 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I get up at 5am during the week to either swim or run before work.  My cup of coffee is what lets me get going without tripping over my own feet or running into walls.

I'll have one or two more cups in the morning at work, but never after lunch.  Coffee in the afternoon guarantees that I will have problems sleeping that night..

Mark

2015-09-16 10:51 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by marysia83

the warm liquid helps get "the system" cleaned out before a race or long run (usually). 

This is interesting. I did not know that.
I do not feel any energy bust from caffeine, but I absolutely loooove the taste of coffee. This was my main and only reason I was drinking it. But I noticed in the middle of the day I felt so sleepy I was about to pass down in front of my computer at work... I was so weak I was barely walking. And it all was gone once I stopped with my 5-cups-a-day routine.
Mary

The feeling of passing out is most likely from the insulin spike not from the coffee. you get those spikes from carbs, like the sugar you are adding to the coffee. if you eat something like a sandwich for lunch (bread is carbs) this adds to it.

Of coarse 5 cups plus a day is probably too much caffeine. 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day should not be a problem at all.
I also use GU packs that have caffeine for races, I have definitely notice a performance difference using caffeinated vs non-caffeinated GU's

2015-09-16 12:31 PM

User image

I have a cup every morning before going out to run. Unless I'm running more then an hour it's all I have before heading out. Never had an issue with it training or racing.
2015-09-16 2:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Left Brain

I want to have a coffee mug with this statement!
2015-09-16 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I think a few cups in the morning really is key especially for racing....just to get the pipes clean (as was said).

2015-09-16 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I always have at least one big cup in the morning before training and racing.  And as stated above, its a colon simulate so that there's no unplanned cheek squeezing workout!

This is my morning cup.

2015-09-16 3:01 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by metafizx

I think a few cups in the morning really is key especially for racing....just to get the pipes clean (as was said).

For someone who doesn't drink coffee often, would this clearing effect happen....suddenly, shall we say? I've never been a coffee drinker, but would totally drink it before races if it would be a reliable way to keep my GI system in check.
2015-09-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Donto

I always have at least one big cup in the morning before training and racing.  And as stated above, its a colon simulate so that there's no unplanned cheek squeezing workout!

This is my morning cup.

This one looks AWESOME!
Mary
2015-09-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by metafizx I think a few cups in the morning really is key especially for racing....just to get the pipes clean (as was said).
For someone who doesn't drink coffee often, would this clearing effect happen....suddenly, shall we say? I've never been a coffee drinker, but would totally drink it before races if it would be a reliable way to keep my GI system in check.

It's not instant, takes a few minutes and it's not guaranteed, I've had a few races it didn't help.

Also, it's any hot beverage, not just coffee.

2015-09-16 3:09 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by metafizx

My coffee-drinking habits are weird. I only drink at work. Weekends, vacations, etc... I have absolutely no need for coffee. My job is not stressful at all, I just like the taste. I guess..
Mary
2015-09-16 3:39 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Originally posted by metafizx I think a few cups in the morning really is key especially for racing....just to get the pipes clean (as was said).

It's not instant, takes a few minutes and it's not guaranteed, I've had a few races it didn't help.

Really? That's good to know.

2015-09-16 3:40 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
My espresso machine currently looks like this so I'd rather not talk about coffee:

IMG_20150911_175055

When it comes to coffee, usually a double shot or two in the morning, with one sometimes being a macc, capp or latte. Then a big mug or two (probably equal to two cups per serving) at work.

Shane
2015-09-16 3:43 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

http://youtu.be/U8Fqyyv16SM

Shane
2015-09-16 3:44 PM

I used to drink it, and as others have said, it will help to clean you out before a morning race or activity. With that said, I haven't had caffeine at all for a year. I can tell you that I after trial and error and a dew dietary changes, I don't need it. If your tired, then you should be resting your body more or possibly an energy related bar or GU minus caffeine if possible.

Also, I can say that every morning after I shower and start moving around for a few mins, and with the diet that i'm on, I still go regularly like I did with coffee/caffeine.

HTH
2015-09-16 4:10 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by gsmacleod

http://youtu.be/U8Fqyyv16SMShane
LOL! I'm lucky I guess to be one of the 23%

2015-09-16 4:26 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Funny this should post today.  I was just thinking how much I LOVE coffee.  Just a simple pleasure. 

I don't NEED it, but it's more tradition to start the morning (and continue it) with good coffee.  It comforting.

I have just about every brewing method contraption ever invented.  Sort of hobby to collect ways to brew coffee - I easy have a cabinet dedicated to coffee contraption. 

Just my 0.02 to the person who is down an espresso machine, get a 30 dollar Aeropress.  It's a faux espresso that's pretty darned good.  Make an Americano out of the resulting nectar and it's better than any standard drop coffee.  The super fast extraction time leaves all the bitterness behind and you get a mellow/sweet coffee.

Oh, and it IS a MUST before races or early morning workouts.  As others said, within 30-45 minutes, I'm getting rid of dead weight in the bathroom and I'm good to go.

Edited by Kido 2015-09-16 4:27 PM

2015-09-16 7:27 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

If you regularly drink coffee, you won't receive any benefit from the caffeine on race day.
2015-09-16 7:54 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs If you regularly drink coffee, you won't receive any benefit from the caffeine on race day.

Probably true......but if I don't drink coffee regularly I won't even be able to find the race site on race morning.

2015-09-16 9:33 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by gsmacleod

http://youtu.be/U8Fqyyv16SM

Shane

That was too funny.... And now I cannot un-seen it haha
Mary
2015-09-17 4:04 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ha ha very true! I am NOT a morning person at all, but my life forces me to do most of my training, including some very intense workouts, at 5:XX in the morning. That would be extremely hard to do without a little caffeine in the system. It's a legal performance aid, few health drawbacks (and some benefits) have been shown for moderate use, and there are plenty of studies showing that it improves aerobic performance--exactly how is not too clear; that it also acts to reduce perceived exertion (presumably since it's a stimulant) is reason enough to have some before a race (assuming no dire GI consequences).

Personally I average about 2 cups a day, occasionally three--one before an early AM workout, one early in the workday (to recover from said workout LOL and give me the fortitude to be on my feet herding ten year olds all day); occasionally another before a PM workout if I'm really dragging. That being said, the latter's probably not such a good idea--if you're really depending on coffee to get through training, as others have said, it may be due to lack of sufficient rest/recovery. Plus having caffeine in the afternoon can affect quality/quantity of sleep at night. (In my case, it doesn't have a consistent effect.) It's just the reality that my normal workday is pretty physically demanding, and sometimes a PM workout (i.e. most of my swimming as I normally only have access after work) would not happen without some coffee beforehand. I don't really know what else to do about that. Have tried snacking and that is useful but not sufficient to insure a good session.

In competition, I normally have a cup of coffee a few hours before. I don't normally use caffeinated drinks or gels unless it's getting up to HIM length, or occasionally in an Oly run (because the gel I can most easily get down then happens to have it). In training, I only use them for runs pushing two hours and my longest rides (3 hours and up). I do notice an effect, particularly later in a long race, in terms of maintaining alertness and effort level.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon and coffee Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Talk to me about Coffee

Started by TexTriGuy
Views: 1511 Posts: 24

2009-04-08 6:36 AM monkeyboy64

Coffee on race day...? Pages: 1 2

Started by bmcgee
Views: 2296 Posts: 31

2009-07-22 10:24 AM mattierocks

Does Coffee Cause Mucsle Problems?

Started by aggiecatcher
Views: 1547 Posts: 12

2007-08-23 2:43 PM OrbeaMan

How many cups of coffee per day? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MForger18
Views: 3317 Posts: 72

2007-03-08 9:08 AM lisac957

Any coffee drinkers ?

Started by dhyte
Views: 856 Posts: 8

2004-01-08 11:22 PM GamblerZ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : July 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Recent studies have demonstrated that moderate to mild levels of caffeine (less than 300mg) do not promote dehydration during exercise.
date : May 17, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Not your typical review, but a review nonetheless. The first thing we triathletes need before any training can be contemplated is COFFEE! Learn how to make espresso for early morning workouts.