General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Balance: New Shoe Pains Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-13 9:19 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: New Balance: New Shoe Pains
I guess it's been about 5 years: I have been buying New Balance 610s in wide. I loved them! Great comfort and value.

After wearing my last pair out I bought them again and thought I just needed to break them in, but I've put nearly 100 miles in them and keep losing toe nails and getting big and little toe blisters. I switch back to my old ones and my feet hold up fine. I feel like the new ones are squeezing my toes and are partially hanging off the insoles. I put in some new insoles but I'm still losing toe nails and getting blisters. What's the deal? I guess it's too late to return these but I'm wondering what they changed?

Edited by runtim23 2015-10-13 9:19 AM

2015-10-13 9:25 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Subject: RE: New Balance: New Shoe Pains
Not all shoes are perfectly sized-- it sounds like these ones are just a bit too small. Or NB changed the design slightly-- this happens all the time unfortunately with shoe companies.

A good running shoe store should let you take them back. NB is usually good about this too. If you bought them at a big box or discount store you might be out of luck.

Note that running shoes shouldn't need to be "broken in". They should feel good on your first try running in them. They might feel a little bit better after you wear them a few times, but not substantially.
2015-10-13 1:39 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Sarasota, Florida
Thanks. I haven't noticed differences in multiple pairs as far as fit, but the design thing makes sense. I wonder why they change them? I used to be a loyal Adidas customer but one year they for whatever reason made all of their shoes extra thin and I quit buying them. That's when I found NB and loved how they offered wide sizes at a great price.

I hate shopping. I like to find a solution then keep the solution unless I find a better solution. I guess that's what the manufacturers are after or trying to keep updated designs to match trends, demographics, reduce long term costs or raise excitement.

That's kind of like when the minimalist thing hit. My NBs suddenly had very thin soles/insoles and I thought it was terribly uncomfortable and just a ploy to reduce material, but I actually adapted to them and loved them. This pair not so much. I hate returning stuff but I don't feel like buying yet another pair so I'll probably try to first. Thanks.
2015-10-13 4:04 PM

if you have a running specific store nearby, speak to the people there. They have amazing knowledge about shoes, what changes, and what other brands are similar.

I have switched from Asics to Brooks to New Balance, each time due to a design change and every time the new shoe they recommended fit as well or better than what I used to run in.
2015-10-13 7:24 PM
in reply to: H2OhNo

Sarasota, Florida
Good point. I do have a couple nearby but find specialized stores prices to be more than the big corps. I never had this problem before. Usually it's 1. Does it feel good? Check. 2. Is the price good? Check. Grab 2 pairs and done. I guess not this time.
2015-10-13 8:58 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
Originally posted by runtim23

Good point. I do have a couple nearby but find specialized stores prices to be more than the big corps.

Part of what you pay for at a specialty store is their expertise

Shoe companies are constantly changing the designs of their models for a variety of reasons, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. In my opinion it's better not to be married to one particular shoe or even manufacturer. Chances are whatever you like about it will change eventually.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Balance: New Shoe Pains Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

accuracy of New Balance shoe size?

Started by kuoka
Views: 48914 Posts: 8

2013-01-29 10:16 PM kuoka

New Balance shoe sizing help

Started by Shoeless
Views: 1536 Posts: 4

2008-02-25 7:41 AM trophytaker

new "skinny" new balance running shoes

Started by chris hughes
Views: 1203 Posts: 4

2007-12-14 8:40 PM Redfox04

New Balance Shoes

Started by sranney
Views: 697 Posts: 3

2006-11-04 3:36 PM oceanannie

New shoes, new pain

Started by leila
Views: 1131 Posts: 9

2004-04-13 11:36 AM ccessex
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : April 22, 2009
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types