2015-10-28 3:31 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Time after HIM for an FTP test

Originally posted by Scott71

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by 3mar I don't coast on the trainer. So I don't believe it zeroed. Also, I rarely, if ever, coast during my rides. Maybe I should at the beginning of my rides?

Flat-landers...  

I would do a manual calibrate on the 920 at the beginning of the ride (not sure how you do that, Marc or someone else with one would know) and then at some point early in the ride just coast for 5 seconds.

Just an FYI for the calibration, I have a P2M and use a Garmin 500.  If you have a HR monitor paired to the Garmin, it will not calibrate the P2M unless you are wearing the HRM.  No idea why, but it will sit in limbo indefinitely until it detects the HRM.

Not sure if this is an issue for the 920xt.

Yeah, it's the stupidest bug to never get fixed.  I don't use a HRM but the same issue happens if I don't have my speed sensor attached.  Although it will eventually work after a couple of minutes.

2015-10-28 3:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by 3mar So is 216 my FTP or is it 95% of that? Based on this, where should my intervals be (I realize this is a loaded question). I'm talking very general, I.e. If I'm doing 20 min intervals vs 2 min, are there rules of thumb? looking back, I did a workout outside with 7 x 4 min intervals and they averaged between 210 to 250 watts. Does that sound right?
205 (95%) would be your FTP. The 95% method, although popular is debatable but that's another debate 7x4 you should be able to do at 110% = 225w, so that sounds right. Of course, recovery time makes a difference Look at that link I posted above. Every few pages you will find workouts with duration, % of FTP, recovery.... Here's an example http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
3mar, I have just about all the info Shane & Marc posted in that thread in a word (and pdf) file if that would help.  Parsing through all the posts to find the info can be difficult.

Also, If you go to my training log, I also have a link to each individual week. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.... I am contemplating doing another one if we can get enough people interested. PM me if so.
Marc, I was thinking about doing the BT/Jorge plan on the challenge forum.  Maybe something we could combine.  There are 8 or 9 people interested in the feeler post.

Edited by Donto 2015-10-28 3:50 PM
2015-10-29 5:14 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by 3mar So is 216 my FTP or is it 95% of that? Based on this, where should my intervals be (I realize this is a loaded question). I'm talking very general, I.e. If I'm doing 20 min intervals vs 2 min, are there rules of thumb? looking back, I did a workout outside with 7 x 4 min intervals and they averaged between 210 to 250 watts. Does that sound right?
205 (95%) would be your FTP. The 95% method, although popular is debatable but that's another debate 7x4 you should be able to do at 110% = 225w, so that sounds right. Of course, recovery time makes a difference Look at that link I posted above. Every few pages you will find workouts with duration, % of FTP, recovery.... Here's an example http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
3mar, I have just about all the info Shane & Marc posted in that thread in a word (and pdf) file if that would help.  Parsing through all the posts to find the info can be difficult.

That would be awesome. I read through it as much as I could but with my new job I haven't had time to dig everything out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time after HIM for an FTP test Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Time for a new FTP test

Started by BernardDogs
Views: 1496 Posts: 8

2013-01-19 11:17 AM smallard

FTP Testing on bike today...have question...

Started by miami9296
Views: 991 Posts: 3

2010-03-07 7:00 PM ADollar79

First good FTP test of the year

Started by newbz
Views: 1985 Posts: 10

2009-03-03 10:05 PM newbz

FTP bike test

Started by Plissken74
Views: 6549 Posts: 13

2009-01-15 1:08 PM JorgeM

FTP test on road or trainer

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1967 Posts: 17

2008-09-24 11:25 AM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.

date : December 20, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on lactate threshold testing and when to do LT workouts, threshold and tempo workouts, and time off after a full Ironman.
date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 16, 2008
author : CPT
Colorado Premier Training runs Aaron through a stepwise power test on a Velotron to collect baseline data for future position changes.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.