General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression Socks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-30 3:45 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: Compression Socks
Trendy or Useful? (I guess they could be both?)

I'm seeing more and more of them, but I've been unable to get anyone to really explain to me why they are beneficial (other than keeping your calves warm).

2015-11-30 4:05 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Compression Socks

Some people like them and believe they benefit their performance and/or recovery.  The science is spotty on either of those.  In general, most research appears to downplay potential for performance benefits (although some argue they could make you more aero) and is a bit more mixed on their potential as recovery aids.  You see them mostly because they are 'trendy' and the marketing for the potential benefits has been stronger than the science.

2015-11-30 5:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Compression Socks

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Some people like them and believe they benefit their performance and/or recovery.  The science is spotty on either of those.  In general, most research appears to downplay potential for performance benefits (although some argue they could make you more aero) and is a bit more mixed on their potential as recovery aids.  You see them mostly because they are 'trendy' and the marketing for the potential benefits has been stronger than the science.

Pretty much what JK said.  The only things I'll add are that even if they do aid in recovery, there is some evidence that recovery aids may actually impair fitness adaptations, because inflammation is part of the body's repair process.  Reducing inflammation prematurely may reduce fitness gains associated with those repairs.  This is an area of research that we will likely see more of in the next few years.

One time that consensus says they are useful is during multi-hour car rides or flights after long hard races.  Wearing them then can reduce the odds of deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-11-30 5:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression Socks Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Compression socks / Recovery socks ??

Started by playmobil31
Views: 651 Posts: 2

2011-05-16 11:36 AM NashinAK

Compression Socks or Compression Pants?

Started by bridgeland
Views: 755 Posts: 6

2011-05-14 6:37 PM bridgeland

Baseball Socks = Compression Socks?

Started by Kido
Views: 1501 Posts: 2

2010-06-14 3:24 PM sub4fire

Compression Socks Pages: 1 2

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 5188 Posts: 38

2008-07-23 1:14 AM ZekeB

Compression socks @ IMFL

Started by fly_capt
Views: 1004 Posts: 17

2007-11-07 2:54 PM papson14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Over the last several years there has been increasing interest in, and use of, graded compression socks by athletes for training, racing, and recovery. Advertisements for these garments claim much.

date : March 17, 2015
comments : 0
Can you give me any information as to why those muscles are still feeling sore and if this will affect my training long term? I'm planning on doing a full Ironman in 2016.
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : September 9, 2010
comments : 1
What causes shin splints and what can I do to treat them and do compression socks work?
date : November 12, 2008
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : October 22, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
Socks speaks of how she made her way into triathlon by dropping a can of pop on her foot.