General Discussion Triathlon Talk » EARLY risers nutrition input Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-12-03 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: EARLY risers nutrition input
After two months of not meeting my training goals I have decided that I am probably going to start getting up and out at 0500 to go to the YMCA. I am looking for advice from those who have a history of doing this regarding how they handle breakfasts and recovery fuels. I'm trying to figure out how to have breakfast, but not interfere with my workout, and then top off the tank as I head out to another day of "herding cats" as a substitute teacher. It will be about 20 minutes or so from leaving the house to starting my workouts. Then I have to be in most schools around 0730.

My first thoughts are to make some Breakfast Egg Muffins to "grab-n-go", wash them down with some orange juice, and have plenty of water while training. Afterwards I was thinking that a Myoplex shake or something similar and a piece of fruit for recovery. It's somewhat lacking in variety however. Was hoping some of you would share favorite grab-n-go ideas/recipes.

2015-12-03 8:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: EARLY risers nutrition input

Morning runs are fueled the prior night for me by having dinner. I have read that eating less then 3 hours prior to a hard workout will not be beneficial, although I haven't researched that fully. I finish with a protein shake.

ETA: I am up at 5:15 and running by 5:30 most days.

Edited by cdban66 2015-12-03 8:54 AM
2015-12-03 9:31 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

Not a pro/dietician disclaimer. Depending on the length and intensity of the workout, you may not need much before the workout. I usually eat a banana on my way downstairs to the bike trainer and start pedaling for 60-90min...that and water are enough for me as long as I ate decent the night before. Sometimes I eat a clif bar or a couple pieces of PB toast before going out for a longer run/ride (2+hrs) but thats the most I eat before a morning workout. Everyone is different on what they can digest, but I'd start with less and see how you respond, particularly if you are looking to shed pounds as your profile indicates. Always easy to carry a Gu packet with you and eat it if you are feeling low somewhere along your workout and then just up your intake in the future.

Post workout I usually slam a green drink, banana, bar, coffee and carry on with my day snacking along the way. I think its a trial and error affair to find the balance but I think many people end up taking in more than they need (esp if you want to drop weight). Good luck.
2015-12-03 9:49 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Glass of OJ before out the door.

Typical breakfast is instant oatmeal--with a couple pieces of fruit as snacks during the am.  All you need is access to hot water or a microwave at the school.  I make mine in a coffee mug. 

2015-12-03 9:50 AM

I am up at 5am every morning for a workout, and I cannot eat that early and workout. I have my usual breakfast smoothie on the way to work in the car after I workout. If I felt like I had to eat something, I would pick something really light and easy.

Matt
2015-12-03 10:08 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm up at 5AM every day to either go to masters swimming or to run.  I have a cup of coffee and spend 20 minutes or so waking up, then head off to my workout.

I eat when I get back.  Usually a microwave breakfast sandwich or toast with peanut butter along with a glass of low-fat chocolate milk.

Mark

2015-12-03 10:35 AM

, Idaho
I'm a 5 a.m. guy too. I rarely worry about eating anything ahead of time...maybe some juice or Gatorade (This morning was a 90 min run and I drank a swallow of G2). As was posted above, if you didn't starve yourself the day before, you'll have enough glycogen to fuel your workout (given the work out is under 2 hrs).

As for breakfast and snacks - I always work out at lunch, so I'm recovering and refueling for my next workout. Here's the type of stuff I eat/drink for breakfast and morning snacks:

Oatmeal (awesome fuel), Whole grain brown rice (also awesome fuel...make some ahead of time), cytomax, G2, egg (boil some ahead for "grab n go"), String Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Fruit, Bananas (yellow fruit has more natural sugar for recovery), Recovery Drink (If am workout was really hard...1% Choc. Milk works if you have nothing on hand), Ezekiel Bread, All Nat. Peanut Butter, Smoothies including some of the following (different each time): whey protein, fruit/frozen fruit, coconut oil, milk or almond milk, nuts, greek yogurt, oats, kale, spinach, etc.

Drink lots of water. Eat lots of natural foods. Eat the majority of your daily calories before lunch..."Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, Dinner like a Pauper".
2015-12-03 10:53 AM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I generally don't eat anything before early morning workouts, but do drink a little water. IF the workout is going to go more than an hour, I'll have a banana. I eat immediately afterwards, with breakfast being normally toast and eggs (I'm still at home). If I have to be at school early, I will have a fruit smoothie (kept cold in a thermos during workout), instant oatmeal (easily made in a microwave in coffee cup), or Nature Valley Protein bar. Throughout the morning I then generally also have a piece of fruit to stave off the hangry until lunchtime.
2015-12-03 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

In the AM I find it best if I have a piece of fruit, typically an apple or banana to help with liver glycogen, and of course coffee before I do anything. Then I do the breakfast meal after the workout. 

My breakfast meals are simple nothing elaborate or too varying so can't help you there with recipes.  Having a pre-made egg muffin sandwich, shake and fruit sounds like a good idea.  If I had too I'd probably do something like that everyday!

2015-12-03 11:47 AM

User image

Drink water, you need to rehydrate after the night's sleep. For just a little extra energy quickly absorbable, add a glass of orange juice. That's all you need if the workout is easy and short enough (>1 h for me, and a rough benchmark for most).

For harder workouts, a "real breakfast won't do you much good since it takes time to digest, so go with a sports drink or energy gels. Let's say you take a sports drink for example, have half of it before heading out, and half in smaller doses during your workout.

For workouts that are moderate, let's say easy intensity but a bit longer, like 90 minutes, you might need something solid to stave off hunger and give you at least some energy, although it will still take time to digest.I'd suggest a banana with some PB for this.

After the workout, if it's a hard workout make sure you get some protein in. Eggs are perfect, or a shake with whey protein, but don't over-estimate your calorie burn and make a giant shake where the extra energy will just be stored as fat. That's a mistake a lot of people do. For the rest, any clean, healthy food is ok (with the knowledge we have at least) - oatmeal, fruits and other things that have been mentioned here are great. 

Let me know if you want more specific information!

For the record, I'm 6 am and usually have water/orange juice before (easy workouts) and then oatmeal with berries and nuts + a fruit afterwards. And more orange juice. I love orange juice :P

2015-12-03 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I get up every morning about 4:00 AM for my workouts.

I only have water before workout.

2015-12-03 2:36 PM

User image

Most mornings it's a cup of coffee and then out the door for a run or onto the trainer.  If I swim in the AM which is rare I bring the coffee for the drive.  Post it's usually a smoothie and a granola bar.  Sometimes a second cup of coffee.  I'm not really a morning eater and usually have to remind myself to eat. 

2015-12-03 9:25 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

, Tennessee
I am usually in the pool or running by 5:30am but I can't tolerate much food at that hour. A banana or a Lara Bar is still plenty of fuel for me beforehand, even up to a 12 mile run or 2500 yards in the pool. I try to eat a good breakfast afterwards but that can be hard if you are going straight to work. Some premade breakfast burritos can be good (eggs, avocado, and salsa in wrapped in a tortilla). Simply wrap them in foil and a ziploc bag and you can eat it on the way to work. Oatmeal cups that can be microwaved (watch the sugar content though), or chocoalte milk and a whole wheat bagel would also give a good mix of protein and carbs after a hard workout. A PB&J is also a good option if you like that.
2015-12-04 2:33 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have a very similar schedule and job.....Generally do almost all my weekday rides (on trainer) and runs (outside) before work around 5 or 5:30 to 6:30 AM, then head off by 7:15 to "herd cats" (fifth graders) all day! I've experimented a lot with what works since switching most of my training to early AM. For me, I can't managed much more than about a 30-minute easy ride/run without something in my stomach. Anything more intense on an empty stomach and I get nauseous; anything longer and I get really hungry. Pretty much the only thing that works is 1-2 granola bars or an energy bar that's not wheat-based, like Cliff Mojo. (Not sure why--I don't have trouble with bread or other wheat products otherwise, but they are a disaster before I run, especially an intense workout or race, or a hard ride.) Plus coffee--that's a given! I don't have any problems with eating the granola or energy bar even 10-15 minutes before running, or even while I'm warming up on the trainer!

After the workout, I shower, dress, and then have a more substantial "second breakfast". Often I end up eating that while walking to work, or after I get to school while checking e-mail, making final preparations for the day, etc. What you want is something that's easily prepared in advance, nutritious (good blend of protein, carbs, and healthy fats to aid recovery and keep you full till lunch) and very portable. In my case, it's either whole-wheat toast with peanut butter and bananas that I make at home--either eat it there or take it to school and have it along with an iced latte that I buy on my way to work. Or I stop on the way to work and buy a kind of Vietnamese sandwich called banh mi--a slightly healthier version of a McMuffin with egg or meat (I get eggs, or shredded chicken), pickled veggies, and other condiments. I usually end up eating about half of it while walking to school, and the rest after arriving. Sometimes I'll also pack a piece of fruit to go along with my toast/sandwich. This usually keeps me going until lunch. I think there are a lot of possible solutions depending on your taste in food. I'm lucky to have cheap and pretty healthy take-out food along my route to work!
2015-12-04 8:25 AM

I'm up and out anywhere between 3:30-4:45 depending upon what the workout is. I don't eat before hand. The only nutrition I take in is for long runs (12 miles or greater I'll take a gel in my pocket and wash it down with a $1 bottle of water at the gas station on my route) or bike rides longer than 90 minutes in which case I'll carry a bottle of Infinit. Anything under 90 minutes I just ride with water.

One thing I'd say though is that everyone's blood sugar is different. If you think you need something before you head out then don't listen to anyone but yourself.
2015-12-04 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Depending on the length and intensity of your first workout, you may want to consider not eating before exercising, just drinking plain water before and/or during. There is some scientific research that indicates that that may be best for both overall health and for weight loss.

2015-12-04 11:25 AM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I couldn't get up to train if my life depended on it but since most races are in the morning and I race a lot I do have to deal with this.  I like to have a little something in my stomach like a granola bar or piece of toast just so my stomach isn't growling.  A few sips of sport drink and a small cup of coffee.  I have to time the coffee just right because it goes right through me.  I figure I need about an hour's worth of bathroom access after drinking coffee before commencing exercise. 

2015-12-04 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I get up at 4:00 five days a week and am working out at 5:00. I make sure I am well fueled the night before. I do like to have something small in the morning when I get up. Typically some peanut butter on rye or whole wheat and either OJ or milk.

Anything bigger than that so close to an early morning workout will hinder my performance. On race days I get up 3 hours before the race to fuel.

What I have afterwards will depend on what workout I do but always some carbs and protein.
2015-12-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
The more responses I get from this question the more I'm thinking that grabbing 8-12 oz of orange juice out the door and drinking water during the bike or treadmill will suffice. Then have my Breakfast Egg Muffins or oatmeal when I get to school.
2015-12-04 2:16 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
when i workout early, it's a banana (half for anything under 60 mins) and water for me, which i can take right before the workout.
during the workout, only water, unless it's a workout over 1.5 hours.
after a workout, i then have a smoothie, which consists of protein and fruit (or vegs) and coffee. add as many fruits or veggies as you can fit.
i'll then have a few small snacks (nuts, fruit, grk yog, etc) every 45-60 mins until lunch.

good luck! update us on your progress!

Edited to add: experiment with the smoothies. depending on how i feel, i can choose between a green, blue, red, or yellow smoothie. they all taste great. for example, my green smoothie consists of kale, spinach, avocado, and broccoli with a scoop of protein (about 25 grams) and a scoop of beet powder.

Edited by d00d 2015-12-04 2:29 PM
2015-12-04 2:57 PM
in reply to: d00d

, Idaho
Originally posted by d00d

• ..my green smoothie consists of kale, spinach, avocado, and broccoli with a scoop of protein (about 25 grams) and a scoop of beet powder.

• that just sounds horrible!...I drink kale and spinach blended together with water in my Vitamix, but I have to gag it down

2015-12-04 2:57 PM

, Idaho
    double entry

Edited by d.wilk 2015-12-04 2:59 PM
    2015-12-04 3:32 PM

User image

Expert
    Huntington Beach
    I am a teacher. I will eat pb toast prior to a workout and then bring a packet of instant oatmeal to my class and eat it at school. I always keep muscle milk on hand to for an instant boost of protein after a workout.
    2015-12-04 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
    Apex, NC
    Like many I don't eat anything for early morning workouts. If they get longer than an hour my go-to before is a banana or if it's going to be really long a banana drizzled with honey.

Try you your OJ idea and see how it works. For me that's awfully acidic to have in your stomach alone.
    2015-12-04 8:39 PM
    in reply to: smoom

User image

Master
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bronze member
    Just realized the OP is almost 4X my size--If you are trying to lose serious weight, and the workout is low intensity, you might experiment with not eating before a workout (unless it's getting in the one-hour plus range). Supposedly that is conducive to weight loss. I guess it would depend on whether that caused you to overeat for the rest of the day or not. The key would probably be getting in a good solid breakfast afterward that included enough protein and healthy fat to keep you full and energetic for teaching.

In my case, I am trying NOT to lose weight despite sometimes pretty high-volume training, a high metabolism, and a very active workday. My morning nutrition plan is all about getting in enough of the right kind of calories at the right time to power through the workout and for recovery. I also eat my main meal at noon, which is probably different from most Americans--works for me because most of my training, and often my main contact time with the kids, is before noon. (More meetings and prep in the afternoon, though some days I coach track and/or swim after work). Dinner is usually pretty light (salad and some bread, or a bowl of noodles with a little meat and some veggies), which probably explains why I need to put a bit in the tank before an early morning workout.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » EARLY risers nutrition input Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

For you early risers

Started by McFuzz
    Views: 1051 Posts: 9

2007-09-06 8:09 PM fgray

Women's input for HIM nutrition

Started by GatorGirl22
    Views: 1013 Posts: 6

2006-09-09 4:08 PM Whizzzzz

Props to the early risers... Pages: 1 2

Started by CubeFarmGopher
    Views: 2033 Posts: 30

2006-07-11 2:49 PM shepherd

how to become an early riser Pages: 1 2

Started by robin314159
    Views: 1569 Posts: 37

2006-06-01 5:58 PM DerekL

Nutrition for EARLY races

Started by roelke
    Views: 1052 Posts: 6

2005-04-05 10:50 PM roelke
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 22, 2011
    author : writingrunner
    comments : 1
    Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : December 8, 2009
    author : Team BT
    comments : 0
    Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.
    date : August 20, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.

date : August 20, 2008
    author : Nancy Clark
    For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
    date : August 17, 2007
    Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : February 12, 2007
    Now is the time to practice, perfect and master your training and racing nutrition. Especially for the beginner triathlete, this is the time for developing an individualized nutrition plan.
    date : January 1, 2007
    author : Nancy Clark
    With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : April 2, 2006
    author : acbadger
    I have been able to swim 200-300 yards without stopping for the past couple of weeks, but this morning I couldn’t swim more than 50. Could not eating make a big differance?