BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-01-26 8:57 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open

Originally posted by Hook'em

#32 with trainer session last night, followed by accepting my CLP.

#33 with a 5k run this evening, followed by an imperial stout - much better than the CLP last night.

2016-01-27 6:07 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
#44--10 minute on the rowing machine (tough on the hands!) and 35 minutes on the stationary bike

Off to sit on my butt all day and talk about things that will likely never change--ahhh, the joys of committee service.
2016-01-27 6:43 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by drfoodlove

#39--walk this morning after I tweeked my knee in the driveway on a small patch of ice at the beginning of my run. I wasn't paying attention and one leg went out from under me, but I did manage to catch myself without falling. Left knee just didn't seem to want to run, but walking was okay. Hopefully it will feel better tomorrow.

#40--1500m swim this morning in the long set pool. Somehow, workouts always feel longer when the pool is 50m instead of 25yds, even when I do the same distances.

I'm traveling this week for work and really don't know what sort of facilities the conference center will have, so my only goal this week is to do something active every day, even if that is walking laps up and down the hotel hallways. Last year this conference was at a USPS center in OK and there was an awesome gym setup with a running track and everything. This year, it is in Leesburg VA at another government facility, but there is no information online about the gym facilities, other than the fact that there is a gym of some sort. Normally I'd plan to run outside, but given the 26" of snow on the ground there, I'm not thinking that will be possible.

At this rate - you will have almost 500 workouts. Forget calling you Gretchen. I've said this before and I will say it again - but you are a machine! I think we should start calling you - The Terminator!

Seriously - working out every day is a great goal but are you worried about injury? Be sure to make some room for some rest days.

Ha! The Terminator!! That is the nickname my students gave me about 4 years ago (they think I don't know). I love it in both contexts!!!

You are right about rest days! I forgot to say I take Sundays as my rest day (and will do so this week too!).

I'm hoping your students are at least respectful - it should be Dr. Terminator
2016-01-27 6:46 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by Moonrocket

Yay! Broncos are going to the Super Bowl! Another lift line free Sunday for me!!!!

I love this. That's awesome.

Jenn - I would have thought that you'd be a little bummed with the Pat's loss...

Question - Are you will thinking of doing the Season Opener? If so, I'm gonna sign up this week. I had planned on spending the day with my wife (the race is on Mother's Day) but I don't think she will mind having a mothers weekend in exchange for letting me race.
2016-01-27 6:51 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Off to a good start this week with a 45 minute trainer ride yesterday and an hour this morning; will get in a short treadmill run at lunch.  Pool is open but we're going to wait until tomorrow to venture that far.

I shoveled for like 3-4 hours total over the weekend - you bet your a$$ I put it in my training log.

Nice work Mike! Those hours shoveling might be your best training this month! The calories burned = a reward beer!
2016-01-27 7:11 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

23/24 with a morning swim and evening run today.

Btw anyone starting to think of February challenge?

Matt

Matt - What would you like it to be?

In addition to whatever the group cooks up for the February challenge - I'd like to make it our goal to have a "like" challenge was well. For those new "likes' are BT's way of letting users give a high five to a fellow BTer in their logs. I'd like to have a challenge where we see who can rack up the most likes because it will help us get through the toughest part of the winter and get us into the habit on supporting each other. I've got to tell you - I've gotten some likes that have made the world of difference in my training. The king of the like (and molson) Thor can tell us more about how it works.

What do you guys think? Do you "like" the idea?

2016-01-27 7:14 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Had a great 12.5 mile run on Saturday, feeling pretty good for my upcoming HM (3 weeks away). Then I had a bad 4.25 mile run today... bleh. I slogged through it and finished, reminding myself "some runs are bad, the next one won't be!". Still not cleared for swimming yet however my shoulder is making progress.

Nice work Mark! That's awesome that you're putting in so much mileage - you're gonna crush that race!

What's wrong with your shoulder? I feel your pain!
2016-01-27 7:26 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
I got some bad news at work on Monday... I got fired for the first time in my life. I didn't do anything wrong (you're gonna have to trust me on this) just ran into two issues - a new boss who had made a major screw up three months ago that I called her out for and two parents with deep pockets that didn't like my style of not tolerating bad behavior in my English class. The fact that I was the highest paid tutor at the school didn't help either.

So now I'm fighting to keep an upbeat attitude and to resist the urge to eat a house. I'm proud to report that I weighed in today and I was under 220 for the first time since I feel off the wagon in December. I also had a good midday run (why workout at 4:30am when you don't have to?) yesterday. Today, I'm going to go to my friends brewery for lunch which will be nice because I haven't haven't visited often because I've been so busy and to burn off the calories I intend to get in a nice ride on the trainer while watching a good movie on TV.

2016-01-27 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
One more post -

Lets all give a big thank you to Dave O for making it possible for us to buy some BDAS gear.

Last year - he set up a BSAS account on Jakroo where you can buy personalize triathlon gear. If you'd like to get a BDAS bike shirt or something else just click on the folloing link:

http://shop.jakroo.com/BDAS

Thanks Dave!
2016-01-27 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

That is what is wrong with the world today. It is never little johnny's fault.

Remember all you can worry about are the things that you can control. Your diet and your exercise are two things that YOU can control. As far as jobs go, focus on the positive! You have a great family that will support you through thick and thin. I think this will open up a new opportunity for you someway, some how!

Good luck Dave!

Originally posted by Qua17 I got some bad news at work on Monday... I got fired for the first time in my life. I didn't do anything wrong (you're gonna have to trust me on this) just ran into two issues - a new boss who had made a major screw up three months ago that I called her out for and two parents with deep pockets that didn't like my style of not tolerating bad behavior in my English class. The fact that I was the highest paid tutor at the school didn't help either. So now I'm fighting to keep an upbeat attitude and to resist the urge to eat a house. I'm proud to report that I weighed in today and I was under 220 for the first time since I feel off the wagon in December. I also had a good midday run (why workout at 4:30am when you don't have to?) yesterday. Today, I'm going to go to my friends brewery for lunch which will be nice because I haven't haven't visited often because I've been so busy and to burn off the calories I intend to get in a nice ride on the trainer while watching a good movie on TV.

2016-01-27 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

As January winds down everyone should be closing in on their goal of 24 workouts right...??

Anyone up for the same time of February challenge? How about 29 this month? Minimum 15 minute workout!

Would also like to propose a weight loss challenge! Put your "start of February" weight by your name on your signature as well as date and goal! Every week it can be updated. We can all monitor and encourage each other.

Example of what I would have in my signature:

Thor

Feb-1-232

Feb-29-224-goal

Each week we would add date and new weight.

Who is in??

2016-01-27 9:31 AM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri

I got some bad news at work on Monday... I got fired for the first time in my life. I didn't do anything wrong (you're gonna have to trust me on this) just ran into two issues - a new boss who had made a major screw up three months ago that I called her out for and two parents with deep pockets that didn't like my style of not tolerating bad behavior in my English class. The fact that I was the highest paid tutor at the school didn't help either.

So now I'm fighting to keep an upbeat attitude and to resist the urge to eat a house. I'm proud to report that I weighed in today and I was under 220 for the first time since I feel off the wagon in December. I also had a good midday run (why workout at 4:30am when you don't have to?) yesterday. Today, I'm going to go to my friends brewery for lunch which will be nice because I haven't haven't visited often because I've been so busy and to burn off the calories I intend to get in a nice ride on the trainer while watching a good movie on TV.

That sucks to hear......I know the feeling of losing a job...as I am in the similar circumstance.

As Thor said......keep your head up and focus on the things that you can control.....
2016-01-27 9:33 AM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#30 - 30 min run last night

#31 - 30 min swim this morning....
2016-01-27 9:55 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Had a great 12.5 mile run on Saturday, feeling pretty good for my upcoming HM (3 weeks away). Then I had a bad 4.25 mile run today... bleh. I slogged through it and finished, reminding myself "some runs are bad, the next one won't be!". Still not cleared for swimming yet however my shoulder is making progress.

Nice work Mark! That's awesome that you're putting in so much mileage - you're gonna crush that race! What's wrong with your shoulder? I feel your pain!

I have a pinched nerve in my neck which is affecting my right arm. Day to day pain and numbness has lessened dramatically after 4 weeks of PT however I'm not sure if PT will fully "fix" the issue. Going to talk with my therapist about "what next" tomorrow.

Dave, as others have mentioned stay focused on what you can control. Keeping up with exercise can be a great way to stay positive. Some may say "mind over matter", however I find that healthy matter helps keep the mind happy.

2016-01-27 12:54 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Dave, sorry to hear about the job. I got laid off from my last job a few years ago, and it absolutely sucks. Some things are out of your control, and best not to dwell on them. Hard as it might be, try to enjoy the extra training time. And make sure to treat yourself to a good beer.

2016-01-27 12:56 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by thor67

As January winds down everyone should be closing in on their goal of 24 workouts right...??

Anyone up for the same time of February challenge? How about 29 this month? Minimum 15 minute workout!

Would also like to propose a weight loss challenge! Put your "start of February" weight by your name on your signature as well as date and goal! Every week it can be updated. We can all monitor and encourage each other.

Example of what I would have in my signature:

Thor

Feb-1-232

Feb-29-224-goal

Each week we would add date and new weight.

Who is in??

Being realistic, 29 workouts in 29 days is more than I'm going to be able to work into my schedule/motivation level. But I'll join you in posting weight loss goals and progress in my sig.

2016-01-27 1:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 One more post - Lets all give a big thank you to Dave O for making it possible for us to buy some BDAS gear. Last year - he set up a BSAS account on Jakroo where you can buy personalize triathlon gear. If you'd like to get a BDAS bike shirt or something else just click on the folloing link: http://shop.jakroo.com/BDASThanks Dave!
Thanks, Dave O.  I just placed my order.

2016-01-27 2:04 PM

User image

Hang in there DQ.  I feel for you and for those left without your instruction.

2016-01-27 2:05 PM

User image

#34 with my Noon 3300 yard swim.  Planning on a trainer session this evening.

2016-01-27 6:34 PM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#32 - 30 min run on the treadmill....
2016-01-27 7:33 PM
in reply to: #5163586

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm sorry DQ- harness the energy!

I'm two days no workouts - but the upside is with food poisoning I am below my Jan weight goal.

2016-01-27 8:02 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by Moonrocket with food poisoning I am below my Jan weight goal.

Attagirl?

2016-01-28 6:40 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

#35 & 36 with trainer session last night and frigid 5k this morning.

2016-01-28 8:06 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Dave, sorry to hear about the job. I got laid off from my last job a few years ago, and it absolutely sucks. Some things are out of your control, and best not to dwell on them. Hard as it might be, try to enjoy the extra training time. And make sure to treat yourself to a good beer.

Thanks Dennis and everyone else for the support. The frustrating thing about the firing is that it wasn't warranted. I was making good progress with the vast majority of my students. It boiled down to two parents that heeded the words of their 13 year old over what their son's English teacher was telling them. So the unfairness of it makes it harder to take.

I'm a man of prayer (when I pray I envision Jesus sitting next to me at a bar. On the day I got fired, he handed me a two hearted ale when I prayed that night), and I'm really trying to see this as a godly opportunity to improve myself and my position in life. For years, I've had a Goal #1 as I call it which is to want to go to work in the morning excited about the prospects of being able to help people that day, and to go home knowing I accomplished something that made life better for someone. So hopefully this bump in the road will lead me to a new path in my life.

That said, I really appreciate all the support. Please keep it coming as there is still a battle waging in my head. To make it better - I've decided to go on a beer trip with a friend next week - Redhook and Smutty nose. If things get worse I might need to travel north for some heady topper. If so - JENN - we should grab a beer!

Onward!

PS - What would your advise be on how I should spin the story to potential future employers? How should I list it on my resume (some people have advised me to just leave Hillside on the resume and write present since I'm still getting paid by them. Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.
2016-01-28 8:08 AM

User image

Expert

Nice work Mark! That's awesome that you're putting in so much mileage - you're gonna crush that race! What's wrong with your shoulder? I feel your pain!

I have a pinched nerve in my neck which is affecting my right arm. Day to day pain and numbness has lessened dramatically after 4 weeks of PT however I'm not sure if PT will fully "fix" the issue. Going to talk with my therapist about "what next" tomorrow.

Dave, as others have mentioned stay focused on what you can control. Keeping up with exercise can be a great way to stay positive. Some may say "mind over matter", however I find that healthy matter helps keep the mind happy.

Mark - That totally sucks and I feel your pain. Please let me know what your therapist says. I tried accupuncture and cupping for mine and my shoulder is still sore. Grr. I want to get back in the pool! At least you can still run!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6437 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17723 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.