BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-01-29 2:59 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Rest day for me.... Shoulder is still sore and I'm on my way to a PT session hoping they can get me back in the pool sooner rather than later. Both my PT and acupuncturist think it will be at least another month. Considering this flared up in October - this might go down as the worst case or bursitis ever!

Onward!

2016-01-29 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
It's Friday and time to check in on your goals. Here's mine and what I need to do to complete them:

Lose 2.5 LBS - Done. Down three pounds
Follow HIM plan for the week - LOng ride and run this weekend
PT x6 - 5 down will do the last one right now!
2016-01-29 8:33 PM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
1) lose 2 pounds - Done...lost 2.1
2) 5x swim - Done
3) 5x run - Done
4) track everything in MFP - Done

got all goals in by today.....for tomorrow its to the caves....getting back in the water tomorrow it'll be good to breathe some compressed air.

2016-01-29 8:37 PM
in reply to: kjvandermolen

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#34 - 30 min run yesterday afternoon....worked a little on some speed variations just to break up the run at the end....gym was dead and tv's are too far away to see without my glasses on.

#35 - 30 min swim this morning....finding myself pushing a little harder and lessening the breaks but for really only about 2 months into the swimming thing....not hoping for miracles....just improvement

#36 - 30 min run this afternoon

Tomorrow will be swimming....but submersed...and with about 150+ pounds of gear on....
2016-01-29 8:38 PM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

A few fun challenges to think about:

• the "+1" challenge - take whatever your training plans says for a sport and add another session each week (e.g. you're scheduled for 3 swims, do 4 instead)
  • the core challenge  - do 10 minutes of core work every day (I did this for like 75 days a couple of summers ago and it changed my body - of course I didn't keep it up but it does get easier to get back into it)
  • the "work your weakness" challenge - focus the next four weeks on your weakest discipline (I don't like this one as it makes me swim LOL)

Mike - I like how you think! So what does the group want to do? Vote now.

PS- I also like the February weight loss challenge that Thor mentioned where we put our weights and goal weights for the month in the signature line and I also want to challenge everyone to leave at least one inspire per day for the month of February. We've gotta make supporting one another a priority

I'm liking the core challenge variation....and i'll jump in on the weight loss side of it too.

2016-01-29 9:12 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, California
I vote for the core challenge. Definitely something I need to do more. This challenge will increase accountability.

Also will look into how we give each other likes. This app is tough to use but will check it out on computer.

Also Dave, took awhile to catch up. Very sorry to hear of your situation. Hang in there, I'm sure it will turn out fine in the end. As for advice How to spin it, tough to say. You don't want to sound defensive or like you are not avoiding taking accountability for something, however you do need to convey you that really you did nothing wrong. You just gotta be honest I think and just talk about the differences in opinions and be matter of fact. Not bitter not defensive not accusatory but that you don't feel it was warranted. And that is that, ready to move on. I can't say I love the idea of putting "present" still on your resume because if you get asked why you're looking to leave you're heading down a path of lies possibly. Just my thoughts.

2016-01-30 7:01 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

New user
Madrid

I'm with you!  January was "get back into a groove", February is "train like you mean it".

Traveling is always a bear- just make the best of what you have and it seems like you did that.  Portugal doesn't seem so bad from Madrid but geez, INDIA!!

I like that "get back into the groove" attitude, end is tomorrow, hope to get a great read to celebrate the end of the lazy month!

Juan
2016-01-30 7:08 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

New user
Madrid
The core challenge seems doable and for sure will not only help but increase accountability!

Juan
2016-01-30 7:46 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Good Morning BDAS -

It's the end of the month and time for a good old fashion brag session where you can 1) Brag about the accomplishments of a fellow member for what they've done this month, or 2) You can brag about yourself for reaching a goal or doing something your proud of, or you can do both. Finally - feel free to throw your favorite beer of the month in there as well.

Here's mine -

I'm proud of Gretchen for notching more than 40 workouts this month! Dr. Terminator is a machine sent from the future to show us how it's done! Keep up the great work Gretchen - you are an inspiration.

I'm proud of myself for losing almost 8 pounds this month despite being laid off and wanting to eat a house. A huge thanks to John, Scott, and Kate for looking at my meals and keeping me on track.

Best Beer - Xocoveza For the Holidays and The New Year - loved this spicy stout with Vanilla on the finish.

Finally thanks to the entire BDAS for putting up with my whining about my shoulder.... The saga continues!
2016-01-30 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Hi All - my wife just saw the coolest virtual race medal and signed me up for it. It's a Ground Hog Day Run on Tuesday but you can do it anytime and the medal was less than $20 bucks.

Here's the link if you want to do it with me. I'm gonna go long today and do the 10K on Tuesday.

https://usroadrunning.com/Event.php?EventID=1416

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
2016-01-30 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by kjvandermolen

A few fun challenges to think about:

• the "+1" challenge - take whatever your training plans says for a sport and add another session each week (e.g. you're scheduled for 3 swims, do 4 instead)
  • the core challenge  - do 10 minutes of core work every day (I did this for like 75 days a couple of summers ago and it changed my body - of course I didn't keep it up but it does get easier to get back into it)
  • the "work your weakness" challenge - focus the next four weeks on your weakest discipline (I don't like this one as it makes me swim LOL)

Mike - I like how you think! So what does the group want to do? Vote now.

PS- I also like the February weight loss challenge that Thor mentioned where we put our weights and goal weights for the month in the signature line and I also want to challenge everyone to leave at least one inspire per day for the month of February. We've gotta make supporting one another a priority

I'm liking the core challenge variation....and i'll jump in on the weight loss side of it too.

x 2 on the core. I'm also in on weight loss this Feb.

2016-01-30 1:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Check in.
Down 2 lb's this week. Currently sitting at 201.4.
Getting my 3 mile long run in today.
Baby steps.

Edited by kevinbe 2016-01-30 1:30 PM
2016-01-31 1:54 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

guys sorry I have fallen off the world. Had a lot going on with work and personal life. My goal for the coming week is to log in at least 4 times.
2016-01-31 7:29 AM

User image

, California
Weekly check in: Hit all my goals other than my stretch goal of a PB in the 10km race. I missed by 5 minutes, but there was at least that much time lost in delays due to truly bad race organization so I am calling it a wash. Therefore drinking a Basil & Hayden's Bourbon right now.

Monthly Brag: 1) Thor for a great challenge to get us started. 2) Gretchen for making a mockery of Thor's challenge! 3) Dave for not allowing tough circumstances to knock him off track of his goals. 4) Myself for getting over some self consciousness and social awkwardness to join a bunch of strangers that practice open water swimming every couple weekends after I had been "planning on it" for months.

This coming week is the last week before my formal training plan begins. The way I structured my season was to use the full 16 week plan I have leading into my Oly Tri in late May, and then join the 20 week HIM plan I have at week 8, 12 weeks out from my HIM in late August. I threw around a few different options, but figured this was best for a couple reasons. 1) It will be my first Olympic distance so might as well "focus" a training plan on it instead of having it as only a step on the way to a HIM. 2) The weeks I miss of the HIM plan by joining in week 8 are mostly build weeks which I will not need that far into the season already. 3) Being conscious that training time = away from family or career time, I will have 8 less weeks worth of 9 workouts per week which my HIM calls for, and 8 more weeks of "only" 6 workouts per week than I otherwise would have had. For this week, I will continue with some of the same goals of the last couple weeks which is meant to get me ready to start these plans:

1) 6 workouts
2) 2 of them swims
3) 2 early morning workouts before work
4) Complete the 'Core Challenge' by doing the requirement all week
5) Optional pending if my wife works Saturday because if she does I have to watch kids: Take part in the annual Chinese New Year's Eve ride where a bunch of locals climb "Mount" Faber 8x. It may not be much, but its the highest peak we have in Singapore, and I need to start improving the hills for my HIM in Bintan, and I need to make Triathlete friends to train with so this is a good event for me to join.

Edited by Tavo2311 2016-01-31 7:58 AM
2016-01-31 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Ok - Time to check in about your goals for the week. I accomplished all of mine and will be rewarding myself with a Beer Day where I'm gonna use my new free time to visit breweries in 3 states. It's my hope to bag at least 30 new beers (to try not finish - although that would be quite the challenge )

How did you do with your goals this week?

Also - be sure to vote for the February Challenge:
the "+1" challenge - take whatever your training plans says for a sport and add another session each week (e.g. you're scheduled for 3 swims, do 4 instead)
the core challenge - do 10 minutes of core work every day
the "work your weakness" challenge - focus the next four weeks on your weakest discipline (I don't like this one as it makes me swim LOL)

Edited by Qua17 2016-01-31 9:14 AM
2016-01-31 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

Weekly check in: Hit all my goals other than my stretch goal of a PB in the 10km race. I missed by 5 minutes, but there was at least that much time lost in delays due to truly bad race organization so I am calling it a wash. Therefore drinking a Basil & Hayden's Bourbon right now.

Monthly Brag: 1) Thor for a great challenge to get us started. 2) Gretchen for making a mockery of Thor's challenge! 3) Dave for not allowing tough circumstances to knock him off track of his goals. 4) Myself for getting over some self consciousness and social awkwardness to join a bunch of strangers that practice open water swimming every couple weekends after I had been "planning on it" for months.

This coming week is the last week before my formal training plan begins. The way I structured my season was to use the full 16 week plan I have leading into my Oly Tri in late May, and then join the 20 week HIM plan I have at week 8, 12 weeks out from my HIM in late August. I threw around a few different options, but figured this was best for a couple reasons. 1) It will be my first Olympic distance so might as well "focus" a training plan on it instead of having it as only a step on the way to a HIM. 2) The weeks I miss of the HIM plan by joining in week 8 are mostly build weeks which I will not need that far into the season already. 3) Being conscious that training time = away from family or career time, I will have 8 less weeks worth of 9 workouts per week which my HIM calls for, and 8 more weeks of "only" 6 workouts per week than I otherwise would have had. For this week, I will continue with some of the same goals of the last couple weeks which is meant to get me ready to start these plans:

1) 6 workouts
2) 2 of them swims
3) 2 early morning workouts before work
4) Complete the 'Core Challenge' by doing the requirement all week
5) Optional pending if my wife works Saturday because if she does I have to watch kids: Take part in the annual Chinese New Year's Eve ride where a bunch of locals climb "Mount" Faber 8x. It may not be much, but its the highest peak we have in Singapore, and I need to start improving the hills for my HIM in Bintan, and I need to make Triathlete friends to train with so this is a good event for me to join.

Matt - congrats on knocking out your goals this week! Nice job! Love the fact that you'll be doing mountain repeats. Hope you make lots of triathlon friends while doing it.

As for missing the workouts (which I applaud because if you're wife aint happy you aint happy), don't stress too much about only doing 6 workouts instead of 9. Finishing your first HIM is mostly mental and while those extra workouts would have taken a few minutes off your time - they aren't make or break.

Good luck with your last week before your official training starts and let us know how we can support you.

Edited by Qua17 2016-01-31 9:13 AM

2016-01-31 11:47 AM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
All goals accomplished this week.....

reward was a 60 min IPA from Dogfishhead

other reward was just over 60 min underwater and some good times had doing a little cave diving yesterday.

2016-01-31 11:48 AM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri

Hi All - my wife just saw the coolest virtual race medal and signed me up for it. It's a Ground Hog Day Run on Tuesday but you can do it anytime and the medal was less than $20 bucks.

Here's the link if you want to do it with me. I'm gonna go long today and do the 10K on Tuesday.

https://usroadrunning.com/Event.php?EventID=1416

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I might do the 5K...I'll look into it a little more.

2016-01-31 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
I think I have been kidding myself! I was doing my long ride on the trainer as I always do and I just couldn't take it any longer. With the temps in the 50s - I had to get outside. SO I got ready and headed out. I was flying for the first 15 minutes - almost 17 miles per hour. By the time I had finished 75 minutes later - I was averaging just over 8. Part of it was not having anything to eat - but I'm clearly not working hard enough on the trainer.

I need a nap.

I hope all you hockey people (AKA Canadians) enjoy the all star game tonight.
2016-01-31 5:34 PM

User image

My goal for the week is going to be to log on at least 3 times and not lose track of everyone. I have a devil of a URI and have been coughing and blowing out green for a few days. I got a few weight days in anyway but held off on any real cardio. Time to get serious and buckle down as I would like to break into under 6 hours for my HIM this year.

Dave - I plan on doing almost all my rides on a trainer after last years fiasco. I did several of my long rides on the trainer last year and found that they worked me as hard or harder than my outdoor rides. I could coast outside and rest my legs sure I may slow down a little but I was still moving. If I stop on the trainer that is it, the wheel stops. Since my race was flat it made sense to push it on a trainer rather than get use to resting my legs on hills. That being said I am going to be buying a trainer that I can program and ride the road course inside. Im looking at the trax smart vortex. They are not giving it away but it is pretty reasonable. I just want to make sure it will do what I want it too.
2016-01-31 6:51 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
Goals for this week.

1) Lose 2 pounds....
2) 5x swims 30 min min
3) 5x runs 30 min min
4) 1x trainer rides....will try for 2 though
5) continue to log everything in MFP

2016-02-01 9:56 AM

User image

Saint Charles, Missouri
#37 - 1000 m swim 33 min.....
2016-02-01 10:37 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Although I didn't meet any weight loss goals this month (weekly or monthly), I managed to drop 4 pounds.  My wins for January were working out consistently with 39 S/B/R workouts and finding a great group to virtually workout with - trying to keep up with Gretchen and Kyle has been motivational.  Now that I'm back in full gear with triathlon training, I plan to continue base building on running and cycling.

I vote for the core challenge as well.  I know I need core work and I always give lip service to adding core work, but never do any.

February monthly goals:  (1) drop 10 pounds, (2) 3 of each S/B/R per week, (3) accomplish the core challenge. 

Week beginning 2/1 goals:  (1) drop 3 pounds, (2) 10k yards swimming, (3) begin core work!

2016-02-01 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Have you tried Sufferlandia videos? I have three that I rotate on the trainer and the kick my A$$.

Originally posted by Qua17 I think I have been kidding myself! I was doing my long ride on the trainer as I always do and I just couldn't take it any longer. With the temps in the 50s - I had to get outside. SO I got ready and headed out. I was flying for the first 15 minutes - almost 17 miles per hour. By the time I had finished 75 minutes later - I was averaging just over 8. Part of it was not having anything to eat - but I'm clearly not working hard enough on the trainer. I need a nap. I hope all you hockey people (AKA Canadians) enjoy the all star game tonight.

2016-02-01 1:25 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

For those adding core work, here's a great article:  Hard Core - Exercises to Strengthen Your Abs For Better Performance

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6399 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17607 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.