BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-05-15 12:33 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Hour run in today + another 30 minutes of walking up and down a pretty good hill 3 times to meet my 1:30 req'd run training time for the day.
Rolling like its my job then off to watch oldest play soccer...in the rain....again. Poor kid hasn't played in the sun yet this season. Hot chocolate! Snow tonight and tomorrow morning!

2016-05-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

New user
Madrid
Kevin, great job! Under 50' for a 10k requires some speed, go for it!

How did the racers do this weekend?

Today my last brick of the HIM plan (2h bike and 30' run, feeling gooood.....), and now ready for the best week of the plan, short training sessions and dreaming with next Sunday at 7am!!

Juan
2016-05-15 8:23 PM
in reply to: #5181851

User image

, Vermont
Great job, Juan!!! Enjoy taper!!

Yeah, how did the NE Season Opener go?!?
2016-05-15 8:26 PM
in reply to: #5181910

User image

, Vermont
So I'm still feeling very much the newbie...I didn't know you are supposed to take the plastic disc guard off your bike on your rear wheel between your spokes and cassette. Always learning something new.
2016-05-16 7:53 AM
in reply to: #5181911

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
On the road workout #1 in the books. Short hour bike ride on the awesome bike trail system. Planning to get a run in this afternoon while my colleague is at a meeting. Off to a good start!!
2016-05-16 8:44 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

On the road workout #1 in the books. Short hour bike ride on the awesome bike trail system. Planning to get a run in this afternoon while my colleague is at a meeting. Off to a good start!!

Awesome job, Gretchen!!

2016-05-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
So I'm trying not to overthink or get worked up, but in reading some stuff on other sites I'm wondering if I should make some changes.. to my bike. Someone had mentioned that DOT Canada recommended 11/28 cassette as a minimum for the Mont Tremblant course. Both of my bikes are 11/25 with the road bike on 10 rings and my tri bike on 11 rings. My front gears are 50/34 on my road and 52/38 on my tri bike. Interestingly both bikes weigh in at 21.4 pounds (I've always thought my roadie was 17!) - but my tri bike does not yet have a flat kit or aero or rear hydration set up on it yet so it will be maybe a pound more. All in all, both weighing close to the same. The weird thing is the tri bike feels so much heavier when I pick it up. I literally weighed myself, then again holding each bike.

So the question is...should I consider picking up a new cassette or front rings for my tri bike? (cassette being the cheaper option I think) It is faster on the rollers and flats so I'm still thinking I'll take it over the road bike to Mont Tremblant... Thoughts???

My husband has also just given his blessing if I want to try for MT 70.3 as a warmer-upper (hadn't approached him with it as I think it's the same weekend as a soccer tournament; but boy I would like to preview this course - with my messed up training, my mind is not in the right place).

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-05-16 12:34 PM
2016-05-16 1:08 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Race report from the NE Opener yesterday: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=541118

I didn't have a great race. I was undertrained and it showed, with some of my worst splits in years. In my defense, the water was heart-stoppingly cold (by my standards) and the course was both hilly and windy. But I can't expect much better at more favorable venues if I'm not going to commit to training properly. So I've got that to mull over.

But did I have a great time anyway? Absolutely! I raced hard and put in everything my sad little engine could - lack of training, not lack of effort. Not to mention getting to meet two fellow BDAS members! Sorry I had to skip the brewery, but it was great to meet you both. We'll have to figure out another race later in the season and do it again.

2016-05-16 1:11 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

DQ - per our conversation in the food line yesterday, this is the beer run I was talking about (it's in NH, despite what the name says): http://craftbeerrelay.com/event/boston-massachusetts/

I also took a look in the cabinet at home, and if you want a celebratory pint glass, I've gotten them at the Boston Tri, Falmouth Tri, and Hero Tri Cape Cod. It seemed like they were all the rage at local races a few years ago.

2016-05-16 1:20 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Race report from the NE Opener yesterday: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=541118

I didn't have a great race. I was undertrained and it showed, with some of my worst splits in years. In my defense, the water was heart-stoppingly cold (by my standards) and the course was both hilly and windy. But I can't expect much better at more favorable venues if I'm not going to commit to training properly. So I've got that to mull over.

But did I have a great time anyway? Absolutely! I raced hard and put in everything my sad little engine could - lack of training, not lack of effort. Not to mention getting to meet two fellow BDAS members! Sorry I had to skip the brewery, but it was great to meet you both. We'll have to figure out another race later in the season and do it again.

You may not have felt it, but great job!!! Seriously - it hailed here yesterday and snowed last night!!! I would have hated jumping into an ows race without ows practice first! look at it this way - it's really a fun way to get the season off to a start and now you have bragging rights - NE Season Opener!! Well done, Dennis!!! Plus my guess is, now you will be even more focused and consistent with training as you move ahead!
2016-05-16 1:59 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Dennis - it was great to meet you yesterday, and too bad you couldn't stay for the Jack's Abby trip! Their barrel aging project is extensive and there were 10+ barrel aged beers available on draft. Delicious.

You've inspired me to add my race report:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I was (just like my two tris last year) disheartened by my AG results. 6th/7; 86%. I know when there's only 7 in my AG it's hard to compare. One thing that made me feel better just now though was looking at the full results of my AG. The top 3 guys were close enough to the overall Duathlon winner that they were likely top 10 overall, or at least close to it. 1:02, 1:03, 1:08.
The next 3 guys including myself were 1:20, 1:21, 1:22. I was like 1:30 off of 4th in my AG I can almost make that up in transition next year haha.
Then the last guy was a ways back.

The weather could have been a lot worse, the hills could have been a lot worse, but overall for me they were both pretty bad. That's my slowest bike split ever (in what is only my 3rd bike split ever so ya know), and about middle of the road on my 3.1 run (again, of 3 tries).

I was pretty much right where I wanted to be on the first (2mi) run, and my descending and cornering on the bike have improved. I just couldn't climb a hill yesterday to save my life!
Anyway had a great time regardless, it's always good to hang out with Dave and also always good to meet another BDAS'er.

Oh yeah Dave and Dennis - do you guys put BDAS as your tri club when you register for these things? I do and let me tell you seeing those letters appearing next to my results gives me a little warm fuzzy - knowing that even though for the most part we're 'virtual', that all my training and problem solving and everything else along the way leading up to race day was with all you guys, so thanks!

2016-05-16 3:19 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

Originally posted by firebert Dennis - it was great to meet you yesterday, and too bad you couldn't stay for the Jack's Abby trip! Their barrel aging project is extensive and there were 10+ barrel aged beers available on draft. Delicious. You've inspired me to add my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... I was (just like my two tris last year) disheartened by my AG results. 6th/7; 86%. I know when there's only 7 in my AG it's hard to compare. One thing that made me feel better just now though was looking at the full results of my AG. The top 3 guys were close enough to the overall Duathlon winner that they were likely top 10 overall, or at least close to it. 1:02, 1:03, 1:08. The next 3 guys including myself were 1:20, 1:21, 1:22. I was like 1:30 off of 4th in my AG I can almost make that up in transition next year haha. Then the last guy was a ways back. The weather could have been a lot worse, the hills could have been a lot worse, but overall for me they were both pretty bad. That's my slowest bike split ever (in what is only my 3rd bike split ever so ya know), and about middle of the road on my 3.1 run (again, of 3 tries). I was pretty much right where I wanted to be on the first (2mi) run, and my descending and cornering on the bike have improved. I just couldn't climb a hill yesterday to save my life! Anyway had a great time regardless, it's always good to hang out with Dave and also always good to meet another BDAS'er. Oh yeah Dave and Dennis - do you guys put BDAS as your tri club when you register for these things? I do and let me tell you seeing those letters appearing next to my results gives me a little warm fuzzy - knowing that even though for the most part we're 'virtual', that all my training and problem solving and everything else along the way leading up to race day was with all you guys, so thanks!

I didn't yesterday, but I like the idea!

2016-05-17 7:23 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jenn--was any of that English? Ha! Sorry, I know enough about bikes to get on facing the correct way (although, two hours into my long ride last week I figured out why my helmet felt so weird--it was on backwards!).

Travel workouts are going well here. I did a run last night while everyone else was at a meeting. Then, this morning I got a swim in at the retirement village I'm staying at. Pool was heated to a toasty 88F and was 20yds long. Not optimal, but I did get to practice my new open turn technique!
2016-05-17 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 So I'm trying not to overthink or get worked up, but in reading some stuff on other sites I'm wondering if I should make some changes.. to my bike. Someone had mentioned that DOT Canada recommended 11/28 cassette as a minimum for the Mont Tremblant course. Both of my bikes are 11/25 with the road bike on 10 rings and my tri bike on 11 rings. My front gears are 50/34 on my road and 52/38 on my tri bike. Interestingly both bikes weigh in at 21.4 pounds (I've always thought my roadie was 17!) - but my tri bike does not yet have a flat kit or aero or rear hydration set up on it yet so it will be maybe a pound more. All in all, both weighing close to the same. The weird thing is the tri bike feels so much heavier when I pick it up. I literally weighed myself, then again holding each bike. So the question is...should I consider picking up a new cassette or front rings for my tri bike? (cassette being the cheaper option I think) It is faster on the rollers and flats so I'm still thinking I'll take it over the road bike to Mont Tremblant... Thoughts??? My husband has also just given his blessing if I want to try for MT 70.3 as a warmer-upper (hadn't approached him with it as I think it's the same weekend as a soccer tournament; but boy I would like to preview this course - with my messed up training, my mind is not in the right place).

On a hilly course, I would definitely like the option of the lower gear.  With 11-speed you should have plenty of options (even to 12-30 or something like that), as long as your derailleur can handle the spread (it's called "long cage" - your LBS wrench guy should be able to tell for you).  With a 52/38 I would DEFINITELY make the switch, but then again I weigh 200+ so hilly courses are brutal for me. 

You'll definitely NOT want to hammer up the hills in an IM - those power spikes will really be felt at mile 90/100 and then the run.  If you're used to grinding up hills, it'll take a little practice to spin up them in the lower gears at higher RPMs (and it feels weird to me, 'cause I like to MASH!!).

Hope this helps - I actually have a "flat course and trainer" cassette (12/23 10 spd.) and a "hilly course" one (11/28 10 spd).  It's a bit messy when I forget to switch them.  :-)

2016-05-17 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

Originally posted by firebert Dennis - it was great to meet you yesterday, and too bad you couldn't stay for the Jack's Abby trip! Their barrel aging project is extensive and there were 10+ barrel aged beers available on draft. Delicious. You've inspired me to add my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... I was (just like my two tris last year) disheartened by my AG results. 6th/7; 86%. I know when there's only 7 in my AG it's hard to compare. One thing that made me feel better just now though was looking at the full results of my AG. The top 3 guys were close enough to the overall Duathlon winner that they were likely top 10 overall, or at least close to it. 1:02, 1:03, 1:08. The next 3 guys including myself were 1:20, 1:21, 1:22. I was like 1:30 off of 4th in my AG I can almost make that up in transition next year haha. Then the last guy was a ways back. The weather could have been a lot worse, the hills could have been a lot worse, but overall for me they were both pretty bad. That's my slowest bike split ever (in what is only my 3rd bike split ever so ya know), and about middle of the road on my 3.1 run (again, of 3 tries). I was pretty much right where I wanted to be on the first (2mi) run, and my descending and cornering on the bike have improved. I just couldn't climb a hill yesterday to save my life! Anyway had a great time regardless, it's always good to hang out with Dave and also always good to meet another BDAS'er. Oh yeah Dave and Dennis - do you guys put BDAS as your tri club when you register for these things? I do and let me tell you seeing those letters appearing next to my results gives me a little warm fuzzy - knowing that even though for the most part we're 'virtual', that all my training and problem solving and everything else along the way leading up to race day was with all you guys, so thanks!

I didn't yesterday, but I like the idea!

That is a really cool idea.  I haven't paid my dues this year for my local tri club, so looks like you guys are my "teammates".  :-)

2016-05-17 8:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 So I'm trying not to overthink or get worked up, but in reading some stuff on other sites I'm wondering if I should make some changes.. to my bike. Someone had mentioned that DOT Canada recommended 11/28 cassette as a minimum for the Mont Tremblant course. Both of my bikes are 11/25 with the road bike on 10 rings and my tri bike on 11 rings. My front gears are 50/34 on my road and 52/38 on my tri bike. Interestingly both bikes weigh in at 21.4 pounds (I've always thought my roadie was 17!) - but my tri bike does not yet have a flat kit or aero or rear hydration set up on it yet so it will be maybe a pound more. All in all, both weighing close to the same. The weird thing is the tri bike feels so much heavier when I pick it up. I literally weighed myself, then again holding each bike. So the question is...should I consider picking up a new cassette or front rings for my tri bike? (cassette being the cheaper option I think) It is faster on the rollers and flats so I'm still thinking I'll take it over the road bike to Mont Tremblant... Thoughts??? My husband has also just given his blessing if I want to try for MT 70.3 as a warmer-upper (hadn't approached him with it as I think it's the same weekend as a soccer tournament; but boy I would like to preview this course - with my messed up training, my mind is not in the right place).

Because of your size I would definitely recommend a smaller gear cluster. 11/28 is a good cassette to have on any bike. I use my 11/28 on most training rides, 11/25 during hilly races and 11/23 in flat races, crits and flat TTs. That being said most guys I know use 11/28 full time. 52/38 is a little on the large side for Tremblant or any climbing really. I would run 50/34 and 11/28 on the Tri at Tremblant. And yes, use the Tri bike at Tremblant. You'll be on the Tri bars for the vast majority of the course. If you have the same BCD on both bikes, you can just swap the chainrings out. 

The easiest way to know if your gear cluster is too big is to go out and find a tough climb similar to what you'll face a Tremblant. Ride your IM race effort up the climb, if your cadence is dropping below 85 or you're getting out of the saddle to keep the pedals moving, your cluster is too big. 

Edited by adempsey10 2016-05-17 8:03 AM

2016-05-17 11:30 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Hi All:

Just a quick apology about being off the grid for all long as I have. Things have been crazy on my end with the job hunt and it's actually gotten in the way of my training and my signing on here on a daily basis. I'm gonna try my best to do better.

I just got back from a 3 mile slog - my first training run in more than 2 weeks. It felt ok. If Kevin is the Rabbit of our group - then I am the hare, as it takes me about 13 minutes to run a mile. But I got in three and I will take that as a victory.

I'm heading to a PT session today. Still working on the shoulder and tight calves. Got in the pool yesterday and swam 300 yards relatively pain free. I'm getting there.

Hope everyone is well and drinking some good beer!

DQ
2016-05-17 8:41 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Dq back on the board. Hope the job search ends soon for you and you're hired.

Nice job tri and du racers, that water was so cold, I felt it out here in the Pacific northwest!

I've been extremely encouraged by my speed work these last few weeks. Today I got mile 1 of a 3 miler in 6:46! I haven't seen a 6:xx mile since 2012. I did 3.1 miles with a 7:07/ min pace. I'm in the midst of rest week, so I'm shortening up my runs and going for quick times. I do a 10k this weekend with a goal of 48 minutes.

As endurance athletes, training is not always fun. Sometimes it sucks, and can even cause injury. We have to be able to "embrace the suck".
Then when it gets good, we celebrate our accomplishments and move forward in the next phase, or challenge. I see a lot of good training on this board and it motivates me to get better. Thanks all for posting your life/workouts.

For my next event, it's BDAS!
2016-05-18 6:54 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Swim and bike in the books this morning, both done at the retirement village. Let me tell you--the facilities are a little lacking, but man I could get used to working out in a place like this! I feel so fast! Okay, yes, I know that is terrible.
2016-05-18 7:48 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Swim and bike in the books this morning, both done at the retirement village. Let me tell you--the facilities are a little lacking, but man I could get used to working out in a place like this! I feel so fast! Okay, yes, I know that is terrible.

Not terrible at all! We all need an ego boost. I've had a couple friends offer me their 40ft. inground pools for training if I can't get the Y schedule to work, and man - you could push off and be on the other wall before having to kick - haha!
2016-05-18 7:50 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by kevinbe

Dq back on the board. Hope the job search ends soon for you and you're hired.

Nice job tri and du racers, that water was so cold, I felt it out here in the Pacific northwest!

I've been extremely encouraged by my speed work these last few weeks. Today I got mile 1 of a 3 miler in 6:46! I haven't seen a 6:xx mile since 2012. I did 3.1 miles with a 7:07/ min pace. I'm in the midst of rest week, so I'm shortening up my runs and going for quick times. I do a 10k this weekend with a goal of 48 minutes.

As endurance athletes, training is not always fun. Sometimes it sucks, and can even cause injury. We have to be able to "embrace the suck".
Then when it gets good, we celebrate our accomplishments and move forward in the next phase, or challenge. I see a lot of good training on this board and it motivates me to get better. Thanks all for posting your life/workouts.

For my next event, it's BDAS!

Holy S the speed is coming back! Dave's right, you'll be our 'hare'. I hit some 6:30's yesterday but not for a full mile, it was during my 400m intervals

2016-05-18 8:39 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

Because of your size I would definitely recommend a smaller gear cluster. 11/28 is a good cassette to have on any bike. I use my 11/28 on most training rides, 11/25 during hilly races and 11/23 in flat races, crits and flat TTs. That being said most guys I know use 11/28 full time. 52/38 is a little on the large side for Tremblant or any climbing really. I would run 50/34 and 11/28 on the Tri at Tremblant. And yes, use the Tri bike at Tremblant. You'll be on the Tri bars for the vast majority of the course. If you have the same BCD on both bikes, you can just swap the chainrings out. 

The easiest way to know if your gear cluster is too big is to go out and find a tough climb similar to what you'll face a Tremblant. Ride your IM race effort up the climb, if your cadence is dropping below 85 or you're getting out of the saddle to keep the pedals moving, your cluster is too big. 

Okay...cluster is too big...I don't even have to test it out. I know from riding around here.
I was on my LBS website (FitWerx) and the random "chat" guy came on so I asked about this situation. He forwarded my info to Ian Buchanan (the guy who fit me and writes for Triathlete magazine) and Bruce, who works on the bikes/puts them together. Bruce shot me an email with a few different options and was kind enough to include price points. One option he mentioned was exactly what you mentioned above. He said I could think about moving to a 52/36 or a 50/34 and/or change out the existing cassette to an 11-28 and use my existing derailleur. Or..change the rear derailleur to an Ultegra GS version and change my cassette to an 11-32. This combined with changing to 50/34 chainrings should give me the lowest gears for climbing without sacrificing my top end appreciably... Wow, I could spin up the notch here...novel idea. I cranked up Smuggler's Notch here last year with my 11-25 on my road bike and my cadence was slooooooooow nearing the top. I'll attach a picture - but it may be the round trip I've got, not sure, to give you an idea of what I rode with that set-up.
2016-05-18 8:41 PM

User image

, Vermont
Oopps, might help if I remembered to attach it...

(to notch and back.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
to notch and back.jpg (150KB - 5 downloads)
2016-05-19 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Had a hitch in the getty up this morning. Went out on planned four miler. I was planning on slowing down effort as my body was tired from moving doors all day the day before. I ran my first mile and was when I started to have a sudden ache in my knee. Normally can run through aches, but this one persisted. I walked back home dejected. Hoping it's a minor tweak, and not something more. Icing and ibuprofen right now.
2016-05-19 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

Had a hitch in the getty up this morning. Went out on planned four miler. I was planning on slowing down effort as my body was tired from moving doors all day the day before. I ran my first mile and was when I started to have a sudden ache in my knee. Normally can run through aches, but this one persisted. I walked back home dejected. Hoping it's a minor tweak, and not something more. Icing and ibuprofen right now.

I hope it's just a hitch in your getty up and that you get back on the road soon. You know what you should try - fruit beers - they're renowned for their anti inflammatory powers
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6394 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17579 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.