BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-05-26 7:56 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by adempsey10

Hey everyone, 

Just a quick check in. I've had some ups and down lately. I finally got things sorted with insurance and got the crashed bike covered. I got a crash replacement and upgraded to Di2. I also picked up some TT bars from a friend and a Di2 climbing shifter that I Macgyvered into TT shifters. So thats good news.

I've lost some more weight. Down to 72.6kg (about 160lbs) now. Hoping to lose another 10lbs by the middle of August for a big 6 stage race I'm doing in Quebec. So thats good. 

I drove 3 hours to a race near Tremblant over the week but got delayed because Google tried to take me along the closed course to get to the start. I ended up missing the start of my race. I chased by myself for 60km before decided not to bother with the second loop. That was a bummer. 

My collar bone is still clicking which means the bones haven't begun to fuse yet. The doc warned me about this. I might have to deal with it until Fall and then get a plate put in. Also a bummer. Sprinting is very painfull but I can ride out of the saddle with only minor discomfort now. 

This weekend I'm heading to Killington for a stage race. We'll see how that goes.. 

In triathlon news my wife came third in her age group (she's in the 30-39 group for the first time this year) at her season opener this past weekend. So that was awesome.

I'm glad you were able to get the bike replaced (and upgraded), that's great!!
I wish your shoulder could be taken care of as easily. Frankly I can't believe how well you're getting along with it! Strong.
Kudos to your wife for her podium!!!! Good for her, that's awesome!!!

So when do you head to Killington - tomorrow? (Friday) If memory serves me the races are Sat, Sun, & Mon? My PT gave me beta on the course if you want it unless you already have good info.
Are you driving mostly NY to get there? 87 and across Route 4 or do you do any traveling down through northern VT?
I was hoping to link up and buy you a beer but we (ironically) head to NY to open up camp for the long weekend. I finally get a BDASer in my state and I'm not even going to be in-state.
I can't wait to hear about your races! If you like climbing you will enjoy it! -just watch out for the potholes - you could get lost in one!! Our roads are not great here to say the least.

2016-05-27 7:32 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy Friday!! Happy Three Day Weekend (to the Americans)!!

Short swim practice this morning, just 1200m of continuous swim with sighting drills. I bailed a little early on masters because I have a race (sprint) tomorrow and don't want to overdo it, even though I am planning on this race being more of a long training day and transition practice than anything else. It is a small, local event associated with the Italian heritage festival. I'm hoping the storms we have been having all week can hold off for a few hours in the morning. Pool swim, but who wants to be sitting on a metal lightening rod during a storm?!?!?

Anyone else racing this weekend?
2016-05-27 7:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 4,250 yds (2.4 miles) in the pool today at a nice even pace. Hungry. Now I've done the distance so the mental piece of that is there now. Try to get my z1 easy spin in tonight but did a lot of running with Mini Milers group today and now going out to play catch with my youngest before it gets too dark. I'm supposed to do an Oly this weekend according to my plan so I will simulate the bike and run but can't do the swim for logistical reasons so while I'm supposed to be in a mini taper for it, I did 2.4 today and may try to squeeze in a 10 x 100 + Wu & Cd tomorrow instead. Picked up my road bike today - swapped the cassette out to get a feel for something I may do on the tri bike. I was looking to put an 11/32 cassette on my bike but they only had an 11/34 in stock in the Shimano I wanted, wouldn't get the 11/32 in until next week and with my impatience and desire to ride the course next Thursday I put the 11/34 on. Dang, I should be able to go straight up a wall with that thing....or eventually put it on my mtn bike. hahaha. Alan, if you want a nice easy, slow endurance ride to stretch out after the stage race this weekend, I hope to ride the MT course next Thursday. My friend can't make it.

OMG, Jenn.  Did you do that straight through???  I would've started drowning from boredom.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2016-05-27 7:50 AM
2016-05-27 8:42 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
Haha, no. I started with 500 warmup (200 free, 100 pull, 100 kick, 100 pull), then into sets of 500 free with enough time to take a quick sip of water, do an arm stretch and move a bead over on my lap counter. It was all still under 1.5 hours - not pushing hard but not super easy either, just a comfortable pace I could have done all day.
2016-05-27 9:46 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Here is the RR and the picture for the "non-believers"

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=282...

Alan, great to hear you are back.
Dave, fingers crossed and prayers, hope this is the one!

You know what that pick deserves - a couple glasses of wine! Congrats. What you have done is quite an accomplishment!

I'm running out to my substituting gig but I will be sure to read your race report tonight when I get home.
2016-05-27 10:09 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

New user
Madrid
hahaha....so much pressure.... here we go again, hope it works now! (sorry guys)

Juan

2016-05-27 10:11 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

New user
Madrid
Alan, how much time do you need to change your handle bars from road to TT? Do you it yourself or you need a mechanic?
Congrats to your wife!

Juan
2016-05-27 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

It still doesn't work but just click on his name and a drop down screen will show up. Click on race log and you will see his race report!

Originally posted by Juancho hahaha....so much pressure.... here we go again, hope it works now! (sorry guys) http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=282... Juan

2016-05-27 10:44 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

hahaha....so much pressure.... here we go again, hope it works now! (sorry guys)

Juan

Alas...still no.
2016-05-27 12:18 PM
in reply to: #5184145

User image

, Vermont
Tried out the new cassette on my roadie today - played on my favorite hill and ran him through the gears and ended up PRing the climb without realizing it. Hahaha.
39 degrees last week and 86 today during my ride....aaaaand whammo, helloooo summer time heat.

Take care this weekend in the heat in your races, Alan!!! It's supposed to be 88 by Sunday!!!
2016-05-27 2:03 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Gretchen, if you click in my name you will see a menu, go to race log and there you can see it.
Don´t know why the link is not working...

Trying not to undertrain this week after the race, in 2 weeks I have a 100k bike ride around the mountains of Madrid so tomorrow long ride - good luck to those racing this weekend!

Juan

2016-05-27 2:14 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Great job on the PR!! Damn weather is all over the map lately!!

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Tried out the new cassette on my roadie today - played on my favorite hill and ran him through the gears and ended up PRing the climb without realizing it. Hahaha. 39 degrees last week and 86 today during my ride....aaaaand whammo, helloooo summer time heat. Take care this weekend in the heat in your races, Alan!!! It's supposed to be 88 by Sunday!!!

2016-05-27 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

That sounds like a great time! is it a race or more of a group ride? It has to involve some good food and alcohol thought right??

Originally posted by Juancho Gretchen, if you click in my name you will see a menu, go to race log and there you can see it. Don´t know why the link is not working... Trying not to undertrain this week after the race, in 2 weeks I have a 100k bike ride around the mountains of Madrid so tomorrow long ride - good luck to those racing this weekend! Juan

2016-05-27 5:02 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Madrid
It is an annual ride, about 500 cyclist, theoretically it is not a race, but you know, once you are on your bike, you want to be up front! The course is great with some tough mountains, the weather should be good, and great food at the end for all riders: it is a great cycling day. Will post some pics after the ride.

Juan
2016-05-28 12:18 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi all!! Had a sprint this morning, it went GREAT!! I beat all of my time goals, plus won the Athena division. I rode faster than I ever have before at 16.7mph avg. probably not much for some of you, but that is a huge improvement for me. Previous race max was 15.1mph. Race report is up (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=282614) if anyone is interested. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!!
2016-05-28 12:40 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Congrats Gretchen!!! Your consistent training is showing its success - great job!
Hope you have a great beer to celebrate (or two

Juan

2016-05-28 4:45 PM
in reply to: #5184228

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I forgot to add about the beer!! It is my birthday on Monday and I haven't been in the States of my birthday in six years, so we are going a little hog wild. After the race we went out for a great BBQ lunch and then to the fancy liquor store with variety. We walked out with nine different types of beer or beer-like product (hard ginger ale and hard root beer). There is a serious shortage of space in our fridge right now! Sitting outside, enjoying the fact that is isn't raining right now, drinking a chocolate peanut butter porter brewed by the horny goat brewing company (no, I did not make that up!). It is pretty good. It smells like peanut butter and tastes like chocolate.
2016-05-28 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi all!! Had a sprint this morning, it went GREAT!! I beat all of my time goals, plus won the Athena division. I rode faster than I ever have before at 16.7mph avg. probably not much for some of you, but that is a huge improvement for me. Previous race max was 15.1mph. Race report is up (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=282614) if anyone is interested. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!!

Gretchen - you are the terminator! Way to go! I'm so proud of you and the improvements you are continuing to make. Looking forward to reading your race report!

What beer are you celebrating with?

What's next for you?
2016-05-28 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I forgot to add about the beer!! It is my birthday on Monday and I haven't been in the States of my birthday in six years, so we are going a little hog wild. After the race we went out for a great BBQ lunch and then to the fancy liquor store with variety. We walked out with nine different types of beer or beer-like product (hard ginger ale and hard root beer). There is a serious shortage of space in our fridge right now! Sitting outside, enjoying the fact that is isn't raining right now, drinking a chocolate peanut butter porter brewed by the horny goat brewing company (no, I did not make that up!). It is pretty good. It smells like peanut butter and tastes like chocolate.

SOunds like you are in heaven - you've earned it!
2016-05-28 5:11 PM

User image

Expert

Gretchen, if you click in my name you will see a menu, go to race log and there you can see it.
Don´t know why the link is not working...

Trying not to undertrain this week after the race, in 2 weeks I have a 100k bike ride around the mountains of Madrid so tomorrow long ride - good luck to those racing this weekend!

Juan

Good luck to you Juan! Kick Extremo!
2016-05-28 5:12 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Tried out the new cassette on my roadie today - played on my favorite hill and ran him through the gears and ended up PRing the climb without realizing it. Hahaha.
39 degrees last week and 86 today during my ride....aaaaand whammo, helloooo summer time heat.

Take care this weekend in the heat in your races, Alan!!! It's supposed to be 88 by Sunday!!!

PR and no snow - sounds like you are gonna have a great summer! Seriously - way to get up that hill!

2016-05-28 5:23 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Still really struggling with stress eating... Yesterday, I barely passed my tests for teacher licensure and the scores called my knowledge of history and Literature "limited" I've never been great with tests but it hit me hard. 20 minutes later I'd crammed two large packets of graham crackers in my mouth. Grr.

I was glad that I bounced back today and really worked out hard this afternoon. I swam for 30 minutes, aqua jogged for 50 and went for a half hour bike ride. Maybe I just need to roll with the punches and bounce back when things go wrong. I'm hoping once I get a job things will get better but until then I guess I'm just gonna have to make the best of it. I hate how reactive I am when it comes to stress and food.

Any suggestions?
2016-05-28 9:01 PM
in reply to: #5184401

User image

, Vermont
Hi all!
Dave Q, I think everyone can have a bout of stress eating here and there and frankly graham crackers are better than a bag of chips; but if you know it's a specific problem for you, maybe have healthy options at the ready? - like a bag of almonds and craisins and to make it feel a bit naughty add in a few chocolate carob chips or chocolate chips? If you make a point of always having something ready to grab that won't break the bank, so to speak, it won't be quite so detrimental. Carrot sticks and mini packs of hummus or rice cakes? Count your bites to force you to chew slowly. Do you find you reach for a particular texture when you look for something to eat? Maybe find a healthier option with the same texture?
Of course, better yet, if you're in a position to do so - go for a walk if you can't get in an exercise. Blow that steam off some - get out of the house or away from where the food is. Talk to yourself - "I am not going to go near those chips, I am stronger than that. I am an Ironman."
You've got this.
2016-05-29 3:45 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid
Food and alcohol both reduce anxiety, and in food specially carbs - the fast glucose going in the blood make us feel good. This is why we all tend to eat carbs when we are under stress (my best option and unhealthiest is double cream, white chocolate Oreo). And stress is part of our lifes, so up and downs do and will happen, so ideally having healthier options around should do the job, as Jenn suggested. But my best option (for me) is not to have those things at home (oreo cookies, chocolate bars...), and as my kids do eat them, and now and them binge on them. RIce cakes, apples, carrots, yoghourt....those are my other options (....but nothing beats the Oreos!!). Going for a run, even 30min run is also a good option and put your mind at rest.

That job should be about to appear, good luck!

Juan
2016-05-29 7:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Thanks Juan and Jenn - I really appreciate your guidance and support! I'm proud to be a member of this group!

It's Sunday Morning, which means its goal time!

Edited by Qua17 2016-05-29 7:17 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6403 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17619 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.