BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-05-29 7:35 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Goals for Week of May 30 and

DQ -

Goals for the week :Record food on MFP, Lose 2 LBS, PTx15, improve swim stroke

Goals for the month of June Record food on MFPx28, Lose 12 pounds (226), improve swim stroke, Bike to Mt. Wachusetts and back!

2016-05-29 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Goals: eat well, train consistently, get ready for our first camping trip of the season this weekend!

Originally posted by Qua17 Goals for Week of May 30 and DQ - Goals for the week :Record food on MFP, Lose 2 LBS, PTx15, improve swim stroke Goals for the month of June Record food on MFPx28, Lose 12 pounds (226), improve swim stroke, Bike to Mt. Wachusetts and back!

2016-05-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
So it's super hot here today - to the point that for the first time in history officials stopped the Burlington City Marathon by noon. It's 88 degrees but very humid. The race started at 8:00 for elites so there were quite a few who didn't finish from what I'm hearing. I'm hanging out at camp getting it opened up with a beer in one hand. Thunderstorms are starting to rip through now.

I checked the Killington Stage Race website to check for any results for Alan and saw he was a DNF yesterday. I'm praying he's okay and there were no crashes.

Goals: continue with The Plan and hopefully getting up to MT on Thursday for a little ride on the bike course on my roadie unless I can get my tri bike set up in time to take that one.
Oh, core work and PT...

2016-05-29 10:41 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by thor67

Goals: eat well, train consistently, get ready for our first camping trip of the season this weekend!

Originally posted by Qua17 Goals for Week of May 30 and DQ - Goals for the week :Record food on MFP, Lose 2 LBS, PTx15, improve swim stroke Goals for the month of June Record food on MFPx28, Lose 12 pounds (226), improve swim stroke, Bike to Mt. Wachusetts and back!

Goals: run 3x (knee willing)
Start eating better (put down the candy bars and ice cream)
2016-05-30 10:16 AM
in reply to: #5184456

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Celebrated my birthday by sleeping in, followed by thr worst run I've had in a long while. The humidity was awful, but it is done. No swim today because the pool is closed for the holiday. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Hope everyone is enjoying the day and training hard.
2016-05-30 11:31 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Thanks for the update on Alan.

Originally posted by aviatrix802

So it's super hot here today - to the point that for the first time in history officials stopped the Burlington City Marathon by noon. It's 88 degrees but very humid. The race started at 8:00 for elites so there were quite a few who didn't finish from what I'm hearing. I'm hanging out at camp getting it opened up with a beer in one hand. Thunderstorms are starting to rip through now.

I checked the Killington Stage Race website to check for any results for Alan and saw he was a DNF yesterday. I'm praying he's okay and there were no crashes.

Goals: continue with The Plan and hopefully getting up to MT on Thursday for a little ride on the bike course on my roadie unless I can get my tri bike set up in time to take that one.
Oh, core work and PT...

2016-05-30 11:32 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Well happy happy birthday! You have been killin it in your training!
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Celebrated my birthday by sleeping in, followed by thr worst run I've had in a long while. The humidity was awful, but it is done. No swim today because the pool is closed for the holiday. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Hope everyone is enjoying the day and training hard.
2016-05-30 11:36 AM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Since I have started partaking in triathlon I struggle with foot and leg cramps. Have any of you overcome this and if so what did you do? I stretch I roll nothing helps and I suspect nutrition may play a huge role.
2016-05-30 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
DQ, you are in a tough situation, own it and know that this is hard. You also know your ability, you know your strength, remember your strengths and build on them. This is a bump in the road and it is hard because it is hitting you in the career, the thing you do that is also a part of who you are, right or wrong that is how we feel about our careers or jobs.

Take a part time job to bring in income, maybe something like work in LBS and use this time to learn new skills. Become a lifeguard at the pool with all those high school age lifeguards. You know, "just a job" to give you something to do instead of eat junk but allows for job searching. OOoooh or work as a server at a brewery...lots of possible benefits there. Or do all those and teach a class at your local community college. You never know where these different paths may lead you.

Don't let the test define who you really are; good scores, bad scores you don't wear them on your forehead for the world to see, you are DQ, not a score. As Marcellous Wallace says, "The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride f**king with you. F**k pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps."
Put those scores behind you, trust your heart and apply for teaching position that will be a good fit for you, not just any teaching job.

Best to you my friend,
Cynthia

Originally posted by Qua17

Still really struggling with stress eating... Yesterday, I barely passed my tests for teacher licensure and the scores called my knowledge of history and Literature "limited" I've never been great with tests but it hit me hard. 20 minutes later I'd crammed two large packets of graham crackers in my mouth. Grr.

I was glad that I bounced back today and really worked out hard this afternoon. I swam for 30 minutes, aqua jogged for 50 and went for a half hour bike ride. Maybe I just need to roll with the punches and bounce back when things go wrong. I'm hoping once I get a job things will get better but until then I guess I'm just gonna have to make the best of it. I hate how reactive I am when it comes to stress and food.

Any suggestions?
2016-05-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Goals - protein is the name of the game this week so when I run my 3 legs for the 178 mile Reno Tahoe Odyssey the carbs will be effective.
I need a training partner. I am really struggling doing this on my own.

Originally posted by kevinbe

Originally posted by thor67

Goals: run 3x (knee willing)
Start eating better (put down the candy bars and ice cream)
2016-05-31 7:28 AM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Syndiethea Since I have started partaking in triathlon I struggle with foot and leg cramps. Have any of you overcome this and if so what did you do? I stretch I roll nothing helps and I suspect nutrition may play a huge role.

I find that as a symptom of pushing it a little too hard and not refueling properly - they hit me in the middle of the night OUCH!!!  You'll probably have to experiment a bit to see what you're lacking (sodium?  potassium? etc. etc).

2016-05-31 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Celebrated my birthday by sleeping in, followed by thr worst run I've had in a long while. The humidity was awful, but it is done. No swim today because the pool is closed for the holiday. I'll pick it up tomorrow. Hope everyone is enjoying the day and training hard.

Belated Happy Birthday!!   Yeah, that humidity will smack you in the face if you're not used to it, and you just did a race over the weekend.

Yesterday I took a day off for the first time in about 3 weeks, though the wife and I did go for about a mile walk through the neighborhood to check out how the building is progressing on the houses.

2016-05-31 7:36 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in a 2nd solid week in a row last week - about 10 hours total in the books.  Looking to continue the trend this week before we head to Cancun for a week's R&R.  Happy Tuesday!!!

2016-05-31 10:08 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Originally posted by Juancho Alan, how much time do you need to change your handle bars from road to TT? Do you it yourself or you need a mechanic? Congrats to your wife! Juan

It takes about ten minutes. With Di2 it's just a matter of unplugging and plugging in wires to the junction box under the stem. I have two sets of brake cables installed on both handlebars with the correct housing lengths so it's just a matter of hooking up the front brake and guiding the rear brake through the frame (which I have down to a science). The whole process takes about 10minutes. 

2016-05-31 10:13 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Killington did not go as planned. I DNF'd the first day, on the first climb. There was a crash just as we hit the bottom of the climb. I got caught behind it and I put in a monster effort to chase it back down. I managed to catch about halfway up the climb but was completely gassed by then (I'm still finding it hard to ride out of the saddle with my collar bone). I ended up getting dropped again and then from then on could barely turn the pedals. I didn't fuel properly the day before and so my energy levels were low. That night I ate like a champ and went out the next day by myself and put in 134km of solid riding and felt amazing. If I had those legs the day before I'd have been fine. 

Oh well. I still put in 267km of riding over 3 days in Vermont. I can't believe how amazing it is there. I want to live there. 

2016-05-31 1:00 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Alan for the tricks, should try to learn how to do it. And sorry to hear your DNF, but to me it is spectacular that you can not only ride but race (!) with a broken bone!!

Gretchen, feliz cumpleaños!!

Michael, 1 day off in 3 weeks? Your consistency is really BDAS.

Cynthia, I would try bananas, they are full with potasium, and they work in most cases for leg cramps. Also clams are good, but not so easy to eat....

Jenn, this is the first time I hear they suspend a race due to the heat (and would understand if it was Texas....but Vermont?) hahaha

Juan

2016-05-31 7:47 PM
in reply to: #5184508

User image

, Vermont
Juan, yes! Apparently a lot of people went to the hospital! People were dropping like bricks - don't forget, it was about 40 degrees here a week and a half ago - we're not used to this heat and humidity. The sky was so thick you could slice it with a knife. A friend of a friend ended up in ICU with a temp over 107 F going into renal failure at the 12 mile mark. I believe he's okay now though. Scary stuff.
2016-06-01 8:16 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I am all kinds of tired today! Yesterday was a 3000yd set at masters, followed by a whole day of moving lumber and cutting patterned pieces out for new Adirondack chairs I'm building. Arms felt like jelly this morning before masters, and worse afterwards! Only 2300m today, but a lot of stuff with paddles. Now I'm sitting in my office trying to stay awake. I don't think this is going to be the most productive day I've had in a while. Short brick scheduled for this afternoon.
2016-06-01 8:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 So it's super hot here today - to the point that for the first time in history officials stopped the Burlington City Marathon by noon. It's 88 degrees but very humid. The race started at 8:00 for elites so there were quite a few who didn't finish from what I'm hearing. I'm hanging out at camp getting it opened up with a beer in one hand. Thunderstorms are starting to rip through now. I checked the Killington Stage Race website to check for any results for Alan and saw he was a DNF yesterday. I'm praying he's okay and there were no crashes. Goals: continue with The Plan and hopefully getting up to MT on Thursday for a little ride on the bike course on my roadie unless I can get my tri bike set up in time to take that one. Oh, core work and PT...

I considered driving up to MT to meet you for the ride but with the drive to Vermont I've burned through our gas budget. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm not entirely sure if you'll be able to ride the full course now that I think about it. Some of the course runs along a full 4 lane highway which might not be accessible by bike normally. You'll definitely get to ride the hardest part though and the part where you'll need to focus most on pacing. The highway part is pretty basic get on the aero bars and pedal at tempo. The hard climby parts where the road kicks up, levels off, kicks up, levels off, kicks up, levels off (you get the idea) are where things get hairy. 

2016-06-01 10:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Juan, yes! Apparently a lot of people went to the hospital! People were dropping like bricks - don't forget, it was about 40 degrees here a week and a half ago - we're not used to this heat and humidity. The sky was so thick you could slice it with a knife. A friend of a friend ended up in ICU with a temp over 107 F going into renal failure at the 12 mile mark. I believe he's okay now though. Scary stuff.

Juan I was thinking the same thing! That is crazy though! I'm glad that go is okay and hope no one else had such serious issues!
2016-06-01 10:12 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by adempsey10

Killington did not go as planned. I DNF'd the first day, on the first climb. There was a crash just as we hit the bottom of the climb. I got caught behind it and I put in a monster effort to chase it back down. I managed to catch about halfway up the climb but was completely gassed by then (I'm still finding it hard to ride out of the saddle with my collar bone). I ended up getting dropped again and then from then on could barely turn the pedals. I didn't fuel properly the day before and so my energy levels were low. That night I ate like a champ and went out the next day by myself and put in 134km of solid riding and felt amazing. If I had those legs the day before I'd have been fine. 

Oh well. I still put in 267km of riding over 3 days in Vermont. I can't believe how amazing it is there. I want to live there. 

Sorry to hear about your race, but you are definitely a rockstar for even doing as much as you did!

If you are thinking of moving to Vermont, I would suggest waiting to make any big decisions until the results of our election come in November

2016-06-01 10:50 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Wow, really serious ending in renal failure, ICU... in have seen in some races people fall (I guess due to dehydration of heat shock), amazing how our minds tell us "keep going" while the body insist on "stop!!" Hope they are doing fine by now.

Juan
2016-06-01 1:48 PM
in reply to: #5184746

User image

, Vermont
Kind of skipping my short brick today to get my tri bike in for his new rear derailleur, cassette, and chain rings. LBS happened to have the hydration set-up I was eyeballing so that's going on too and I'm having the guy flip my aerobar mounts to give me another inch. I have a torn labrum in my right shoulder (yes, DQ!) and after about 20 miles the super close aerobars really start to bother it so I'm moving them about an inch and hopefully that will help.
MT may wait until Friday as it looks like they are going to have rain all day tomorrow. It will rain here Friday so that's a good tradeoff.
Good swim (3,300 yds) and bike yesterday with some hill repeats on the bike. I think this hill I play on should be good practice for MT but I'll know better once I see MT.
Had a weird thing happen on my initial downhill starting my ride. My heart started jumping around then settled. When I looked later it showed over 200 beats/minute! Heck I've never been over 180 (maybe even 170) while training hard. It was weird. I continued on and was totally fine and did my hill repeats but it was like a "thrill" beat you'd feel when you jump out of a plane skydiving or topping the hill of a crazy roller coaster. No reason for it and it was right in the first few minutes when I wasn't even pedaling hard. Definitely staying away from the burritos I had the night before!
2016-06-01 3:32 PM
in reply to: #5184874

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jen--I don't know what kind of hrm strap you are using, but every time my chest strap died its first indication was readings in the 200 range.
2016-06-01 4:35 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Jen--I don't know what kind of hrm strap you are using, but every time my chest strap died its first indication was readings in the 200 range.

I'll keep an eye on it! Thanks for the heads up on that!
i did feel my chest jump though so it may have very well been accurate. Apparently I was very excited to be flying down the hill! hahaha
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6427 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17689 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.