DQ
30F / -1C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 28m
Overall Rank = 1/1
Age Group = 45
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 in my parents house. Nothing buy honey nut cheerios in the cubbard. SO I munched on that and drank some water.
Event warmup:

Zero. My nice niece dropped me off at the hospital where I was born and I just went. Oh, and it was snowing
Run
  • 3h 28m
  • 14.69 miles
  • 14m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

My niece dropped me off at the hospital where I was born and I walked the first 15 minutes of the run. With being sick last week and not getting enough sleep last night, I knew I was in for a long day. So I started running 1 minute and walking 2. It was always running past the major points in my life - my first job (gas station - age 11), the drug store where my sister bought me candy, the restaurant where I ate as a kid that had the best onion rings, my elementary school, etc) and I felt pretty good. At mile 7 - I really started to get tired. There were 30 mile gusts that were for the most part pushing me forward - but hen they switched direction - they blew me all over the place. I started eating gus after running for an hour and probably should have done a better job of eating more. It's hard when your doing your own race to stay hydrated/well fed, and I need to do a better job of paying attention to my nutrition - especially with my half coming up.

I felt pretty good on the run - lots of energy - but I wasn't really running all that fast - I averaged 13.5 miles an hour. However - if I'm really gonna get faster - I need to lose my extra bleeping weight.

A friend met up with me at the 11 mile point and we ran through Cleveland's Metroparks to get back to his car. I felt really strong towards the end - and could have gone further.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Considering where I was a month ago - I feel like a trained pretty well.

I want to make this a yearly thing - might be fun to be able to do this every year on my birthday.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer and wings - does it get any better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatness - lvel of training

Event comments:

I did a damn fine job of organizing this race :)

Last updated: 2016-02-25 12:00 AM
Running
03:28:00 | 14.69 miles | 14m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 1/1
Performance: Good
Course: All over Cleveland St Lukes MLK Blvd straight and left RIGHT on Larchmere LEFT on Northwood Land RIGHT on North Park RIGHT ON Shelburne LEFT ON Eaton First Baptist Church Home - 4 miles RIGHT on Fairmount Giunta's Grocery/Park Opticians/Fratentonio/Our Gang Left around Fairmount Circle LEFT ON Northpark LEFT on Courtland CROSS Shaker LEFT on Mongtomery LEFT on Malvern Malvern School 5.75 LEFT Falmouth EAST ON Shaker Byron Jounior high EAST ON Shaker Cross Shaker Boulevard Straight on Belvoir Steve and Marty's House LEFT ON Belvoir Cross Green Rd Cross Lyman Blvd Left on Laurendale Rd Right on Fairmount After LEFT on Fairmount (past 271 overpass Take a right to stay on Fairmount - 9.75 Straight on Fairmount Ursuline School 10.5 Right on Gates Mill Down gates mill Right on Shaker Cross 271 - 12 miles Cross Richmond Right on Green 13.52 Left on Landon Past Wadsworth 13.74 Left on Shelburne 13.92 Cross South Belvoir 14.21 Cross Claythorne 14.55 Cross Warrensville 14.69 Cross North park 14.84 Pass Courtland 15.08 Right on Eaton Home 15.47
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-02-28 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Bucket List Half Marathon

2016-02-28 10:12 PM
in reply to: #5169569

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Bucket List Half Marathon
Nice work DQ. Great idea. Looked like a lot of fun. What kind of beer do you get with wings? Are the wings spicy or mild?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bucket List Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bucket List Triathlon

Started by Philothea0806
Views: 704 Posts: 1

2013-04-29 1:43 PM Philothea0806

Island 2 Island Half Marathon (formerly MD Half Marathon)

Started by asgate99
Views: 1623 Posts: 1

2011-05-01 3:57 PM asgate99

Oz Half Marathon (Formerly Olathe Half Marathon)

Started by willrunforchocolate
Views: 1658 Posts: 2

2011-04-16 5:36 PM linfieldpt

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3070 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2221 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : August 2, 2010
author : mcinTri2010
comments : 10
It has been a bucket list item for years...something to do before I'm 25. Okay, maybe I'll push that to 30. Okay, maybe I'll let it go altogether.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.