BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-29 5:11 PM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by emcmino Thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes everyone. It has been crazy at work lately, so I am behind on my race report from last week, and training this week has been non-existent. I do have a question for the pod though. I came across a triathlon that says the swim is 600 meters in the water parks lazy river (2 laps). Has anyone ever done anything like that? Do you even need to swim or would the current just pull you? Do they have water cannons on the side that spectators can shoot at you? I am not going to lie, to me it kind of sounds fun, but wondered if anyone has done it?

I've done the Life's a Beach tri, which allows all kinds of swim aids. It is a complete blast. The swim goes out, turns left on a sandbar, then left to shore. I walked 100 yards on that sandbar and pulled TW. I'd love to do a swim in a lazy river. I need all the help I can get!

2016-04-29 5:23 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by emcmino Thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes everyone. It has been crazy at work lately, so I am behind on my race report from last week, and training this week has been non-existent. I do have a question for the pod though. I came across a triathlon that says the swim is 600 meters in the water parks lazy river (2 laps). Has anyone ever done anything like that? Do you even need to swim or would the current just pull you? Do they have water cannons on the side that spectators can shoot at you? I am not going to lie, to me it kind of sounds fun, but wondered if anyone has done it?

I've done B2B and, despite reports to the contrary, even with the current you do actually have to swim.

WTC has a course in Mexico that looks like a lazy river.That could be your goal race :-D

What's on everyone's race wish list. Fess up, now!  I can't be the only one who has a race wish list! 

We are actually starting to look at race-cations in the future. I have only raced locally, so that should open up some opportunities. I'm not sure I have a wish list, I just want to take advantage of whatever is out there.

2016-04-29 5:46 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

I've done B2B and, despite reports to the contrary, even with the current you do actually have to swim.

WTC has a course in Mexico that looks like a lazy river.That could be your goal race :-D

What's on everyone's race wish list. Fess up, now!  I can't be the only one who has a race wish list! 

We are actually starting to look at race-cations in the future. I have only raced locally, so that should open up some opportunities. I'm not sure I have a wish list, I just want to take advantage of whatever is out there.

I hear that Disney has some races...

2016-04-29 6:19 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Well, IM has put out our bike course and it's 94 miles long. Yep I'm going to be doing a 122.6. Complete BS!!!! They're saying they had a full course but the weather wiped out some of the roads, not sure I believe that, figure they're just using that to keep our money.

It'll be tough to beat that IM time...

Maybe IM Chattanooga has the right idea, more bang for your buck 

Seriously, you can't worry about what's out of your control and this is definitely out of your control. 

Yeah figure I can maybe go sub 10 now! LOL!
2016-04-29 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Life List: I am crazy, but Alpe de Huez. The only thing I do really well on a bike is climb, and the bike course appears to be mostly one long hill. Plus the run is at altitude, which I do well at. And Challenge Wanaka (New Zealand). I've visited there and done some running on the course--just amazing scenery. I think in both cases it would be difficult to actually do them as the water is pretty cold, and I've always struggled with that. Probably need a better wetsuit and more experience training in uncomfortably cold water first. I would like to do Hawaii 70.3 (a HIM on the Kona course) but the timing doesn't work out with my job.

In other news, I made the mistake of checking the participant list for Vietnam 70.3. There are only 14 women in my AG, but out of those, FOUR are "all-world athletes" (I think that's top 1% ranking for IM races throughout the year). So, basically, if I want to get on the AG podium, I'm going to have to have a world-class performance.

I swear.....fast people follow me around, even to little tiny races in the middle of nowhere. Last year at Toughman, a race with 66 people, I discovered that maybe 1/5 of them were from a club doing a tune-up race for Kona. A 41 year old woman did 5:03, on a fairly slow course. OMG. The kicker was the year I had Belinda Granger in my age group, the first race she ran after retiring from being a pro. Another time I had to race a former pro cyclist in my AG in a duathlon. The woman who beat me at one race this spring has qualified for Kona. I have been second in my AG four times in a row now. I guess second in my AG at this next race would be quite an accomplishment, or maybe a miracle!

2016-04-29 9:07 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Been there, done that, got the tech shirt. 

Although, I have a friend that did the Expedition Everest 10K there, which would be different. I have to see how things go this year. If a few things come together, than we'll see about races in other states.

I could possibly be persuaded to run in Disney, if other Manatees were to be there.

2016-04-29 9:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Although, I have a friend that did the Expedition Everest 10K there, which would be different. I have to see how things go this year. If a few things come together, than we'll see about races in other states.

I could possibly be persuaded to run in Disney, if other Manatees were to be there.

Did someone say Disney race?
2016-04-29 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Love the travel tips!

Adrienne, are you going for business or pleasure? 

Business. But you know me...

I hope that you get to keep the points and miles.  Could come in handy for the Iceland Excursion!

In other news, poutine has official jumped the shark.  They are opening a poutine place in Disney. 

You know it! My work is pretty cool.

Hmmmmm hopefully they got it pre-approved by the Canadians as I defer to them as the Poutine SMEs and trust them implicitly. 

I dunno.  It's not like the poutine place is going to be in Canada in Epcot...  We'll send Chris to Disney Springs to check it out and make sure that he survives to report back ;-)

Can someone explain poutine to me again? It has something to do with hot chips (fries) doesn't it?
2016-04-29 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1
Adam - Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at Beaverdam on Saturday
Lisa - Tour de Cure bike ride on Saturday
TJ - Cimarron Endurance Run 50k on Sunday

Disabled List
Judi - ankle  (partial DL, activity limited)
Yanti - under the weather
Robin NC - metatarsal (the curse continues)
Tom A - foot
Hands - under the weather
Laura - under the weather

April 30 is Eric's birthday
May 4 is TJ's birthday

REMINDER:  Save the Manatee 5k virtual registration must be RECEIVED by April 30. You can register online at http://www.hughesregistrationservices.com/races/EVERAL/savethemanatee/signup.php.  It's $34.95 including the processing fee.

I reached out to a few people who have not been around much via Facebook (Monica, Darren, Yanti).  Are you you FB?  You can friend me at http://facebook.com/jmkizer.

--

Go racing Manatees
Sending healing mastiff hugs to all those on the DL list. I'm blaming the weather for all ailments
2016-04-29 10:31 PM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by emcmino

Thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes everyone. It has been crazy at work lately, so I am behind on my race report from last week, and training this week has been non-existent. I do have a question for the pod though. I came across a triathlon that says the swim is 600 meters in the water parks lazy river (2 laps). Has anyone ever done anything like that? Do you even need to swim or would the current just pull you? Do they have water cannons on the side that spectators can shoot at you? I am not going to lie, to me it kind of sounds fun, but wondered if anyone has done it?
Its officially your birthday in Australia now so

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

I have done a race in canals that flow to the ocean, the current was pretty strong but you did have to swim. Let's just say I think everyone PRed their swim leg.
2016-04-29 10:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

well I will say Disney races

K and I are aiming for the Disney Dopey Challenge in 2018

As well as training I have to start saving my pennies cause it's probably gonna cost us about $5,000 Australian each by the time you include flights and accommodation and all that jazz.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-04-29 10:40 PM

2016-04-29 11:51 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have always wanted to do one of those canal swims. I think it would be fun to actually go somewhere other than in a circle (or rectangle, or triangle or whatever) in a lake or the ocean.

Just realised I missed one--either IM Austria, or the 70.3 there (where Worlds were last year). Last year my AG field at Vietnam 70.3 was very weak and I really believed I missed qualifying for Worlds that day due to being sick. Have had many happy trips to Austria that involved run, bike, and even swim, though not an actual race, and I cried watching the video of Worlds there.
2016-04-30 5:27 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1

Disabled List
Tom A - foot

May 4 is TJ's birthday

REMINDER:  Save the Manatee 5k virtual registration must be RECEIVED by April 30. You can register online at http://www.hughesregistrationservices.com/races/EVERAL/savethemanatee/signup.php.  It's $34.95 including the processing fee.

I reached out to a few people who have not been around much via Facebook (Monica, Darren, Yanti).  Are you you FB?  You can friend me at http://facebook.com/jmkizer.

--

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!!   HEAL DLers!

I'm eventing (not racing) Sunday, weather permitting.  Ride Towards the Cure ride with my masters buddies.  Not sure of our plan if it rains like it is supposed to...

Also, I am officially signed up to save the manatees!

YAY!

2016-04-30 5:34 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by fortissimo

Did someone say Disney race?

Disney would be fun with a pod of Manatees. My destination race was (is) the NYC triathlon. Which has the swim in the Hudson river. Nice with the current you go FAST. which is great for me since I am slow, slow, slow. I would love to have the money to go to a race in SE asia somewhere. That is a pipe dream though. I have travelled and met up with other BTers in california and once in Key West for 1/2 marathons. We had a BLAST each time.

2016-04-30 6:59 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If any Manatees want to visit SE Asia for racing or just visiting, you're always welcome here. I have a spare guest room, could give up the master bedroom for a visiting couple and use the single in the guest room, and could even put up a third visitor on the very comfortable couch where I pretty much hang out when not training or working! As long as you can put up with my "kids"--two cats that you'd probably never see--they're very shy.

Not a whole lot in the way of races in Saigon (there is a low-key 5K/10K/HM in the winter, though), but there is IM Vietnam 70.3 in Danang, and there are rumors that Challenge is going to put on a race in the fall in Nha Trang--a day's bus or train ride or quick flight from Saigon. There are also some off-road "adventure races" similar to ExTerra tris, but a bit more chaotic, if you like that sort of thing, within several hours' drive of here. If more interested in a running race, I recommend the annual Angkor Wat half-marathon in Siem Reap, Cambodia in early December. Amazing venue and easy to get a visa on arrival. There is a 10K race on the same day that takes in the most scenic part of the course, and a bike rally (40K and 100K? Forget.) the day before. Very basic race set-up (no age group awards, chaotic start, only water on course--BYO gu and electrolyte drink!) but it supports several charities related to health/education/sports for kids and the disabled, and is just a great experience.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-04-30 7:04 AM
2016-04-30 8:53 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
Originally posted by StaceyK

Love the travel tips!

Adrienne, are you going for business or pleasure? 

Business. But you know me...

I hope that you get to keep the points and miles.  Could come in handy for the Iceland Excursion!

In other news, poutine has official jumped the shark.  They are opening a poutine place in Disney. 

You know it! My work is pretty cool.

Hmmmmm hopefully they got it pre-approved by the Canadians as I defer to them as the Poutine SMEs and trust them implicitly. 

I dunno.  It's not like the poutine place is going to be in Canada in Epcot...  We'll send Chris to Disney Springs to check it out and make sure that he survives to report back ;-)

Can someone explain poutine to me again? It has something to do with hot chips (fries) doesn't it?

Yes Please!. Squeaky cheese, I know, or at least the squeaky cheese, the fresh cheese that is made here that squeaks when you eat it. But Poutine? Even my daughter who eats everything has never heard of that.

2016-04-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Dream Races: Alcatraz, and any IM. The IM dream will be taken care of in October.
2016-04-30 10:42 AM

User image

Seattle
Hmm race cations: the ultramarathon I'm doing in iceland, lone peak vertical K in Montana, mount marathon in Seward alaska. Actually I tend to fill my schedule with these types of races. If there is a place I really want to run or experience I'll often just plan a cool run there since sometimes a race can distract from fully experiencin a place. For example I'd like to run around mont blanc but not as part of utmb. I just think it would be way too beautiful to not want to take your time.

Edited by Asalzwed 2016-04-30 10:42 AM
2016-04-30 11:57 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1

Disabled List
Tom A - foot

May 4 is TJ's birthday

--

Go racers! Good luck on that 50k, TJ. Also Happy Birthday! (to Eric too).
This week was probably the busiest I've had all year. Lots of projects and tests, but I'm glad it's over now. I haven't heard back from the bike shop about my job yet. I don't know how long that's supposed to take, but I may call them soon and ask about it. Maybe my initiative will help them decide.
2016-04-30 3:48 PM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Happy birthday Eric. Some races I'd like to do - whether I have the ability to do them justice is another matter.IM Lanzarote. IM St George 70.3. Vineman.IM Austria 70.3.London Marathon.Berlin Marathon.Trans Vulcania.Trans American bike race.Route 66 bike race. @ a more leisurely pace
2016-04-30 3:50 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Hmmmm, don't know what happened to the formatting then.

2016-04-30 4:46 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by Jet Black

Well, IM has put out our bike course and it's 94 miles long. Yep I'm going to be doing a 122.6. Complete BS!!!! They're saying they had a full course but the weather wiped out some of the roads, not sure I believe that, figure they're just using that to keep our money.

I know how frustrating that must be. Don't even know what to say.
2016-04-30 6:16 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, Colorado

Hmm race cations: the ultramarathon I'm doing in iceland, lone peak vertical K in Montana, mount marathon in Seward alaska. Actually I tend to fill my schedule with these types of races. If there is a place I really want to run or experience I'll often just plan a cool run there since sometimes a race can distract from fully experiencin a place. For example I'd like to run around mont blanc but not as part of utmb. I just think it would be way too beautiful to not want to take your time.

I love your race places (and that you can experience those settings!) and your attitude toward looking around to get a sense of how incredible some places are. Last year I realized I focused so much on racing and doing the best I could, I did not notice how beautiful our lake is. When I did my first HM few weeks ago I knew I was not racing, but rather finishing, so I took the time to notice the nature. I saw some pretty sculptures along the lake I never knew existed. It was also fascinating to me how waves splashed on the lake shore.
2016-04-30 6:21 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1

Disabled List
Tom A - foot

May 4 is TJ's birthday

--

Happy Birthday Eric! I wish you all the best ))
Go Racers!!! Go Adam, Lisa, and TJ!

I'm sorry DL is kind of long again. I hope you guys get better super soon!
I would love to do Manatees race, but I can't this time :/
2016-04-30 6:21 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
After my HIM last year (where we ran along the beach for 3 or 4 miles, and I REALLY mean along the beach, as in in the sand right at the water's edge), I took my mom back to that beach for a walk, because it was so beautiful, and took some pictures (I think two are in my race report for Toughman Ocean Shores). I remember she noticed for the first time that you can see the sky reflected in the pools left after the tide goes out. Definitely not the kind of thing you would notice when racing. She doesn't run or do tri, so a lot of times after "race-cation" events, we will bike the course, or part of it. the next day.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.