BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-06-27 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by rrrunner I did a three hour ruck march this morning. It was hot, and 45 pounds of ruck really pushed me mentally because my shoulders were killing me. The cool part is it got picked up by the local news. http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/march-carry-the-fallen-draws-aw...

Thank you for doing this, TJ, raising veteran suicide awareness is a very worthy cause.  Sadly, I know a vet who didn't get the help he needed and took his life a few months ago.

Edited by melbo55 2016-06-27 2:46 PM

2016-06-27 2:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Sounds like overall our racers had a good weekend!  Sorry your Xterra didn't pan out the way you hoped, Dave, but I'll bet you learned a few lessons which sadly doesn't lessen the disappointment.  Next time, next time!

Sean - I meant to chime in on bike colors but forgot - I'm digging the blue DIMOND, and if you can, get the wings added on.  That will be a sharp looking bike!

Ben - looking at the picture, I have no idea why you skipped the boat tour (sarcasm).  Nasty looking blob of bad weather!

Jim - a new bike, suh-weeeeeeet!!!  Congrats!  May you have many, many safe, fun miles together and fast races, too!

Chris - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!  Celebrate in style, my friend!

Oh, and I finally posted my RR from last week.  It's long-winded, as usual.  Read at your own risk.

Edited by melbo55 2016-06-27 2:56 PM
2016-06-27 6:23 PM
in reply to: #5176537

User image

Master
Sounds like there was some good, some bad and some ugly (weather) for the pod this weekend! Congratulations to all the racers. No matter what happened, you were out there. I always feel like the training is the accomplishment; the race is just a day.

Chris, the happiest of birthday wishes!

My little Spartacus cat has surgery today for a mass on his larynx. It had the potential to block his airway but I am happy to report that the anesthesia and surgery went well. Sent it off for histology and hopefully it is just a polyp. Given his young age, that is most likely. It may grow back but hopefully slowly (he lost his voice about 2years ago and despite investigation we could find no reason--it may have been this mass early on. That bodes well for 'slow growing'!)

Hope everyone's Monday went well. We are on a short week this week as Friday is Canada Day.
2016-06-27 7:17 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by melbo55

Sounds like overall our racers had a good weekend!  Sorry your Xterra didn't pan out the way you hoped, Dave, but I'll bet you learned a few lessons which sadly doesn't lessen the disappointment.  Next time, next time!

I am glad others races went so well and I know that next time will be better. I have moved on and have my sights on the next one.

As to lessons learned yes there are some obvious ones such as try to get some sleep before a race and focus on what you are doing but the bigger lesson came from the intensity that I saw in others. I am not an athletic person, at least that is what I tell myself. I can put in the hours, but it doesnt seem to translate to results the way it seems to in others. I have lost about 15lbs since last year, putting so much time on the bike, a recent increase in run volume have all been beneficial and I am getting a little quicker but there is still something missing. I saw it on the run - seeing as I only did half the bike distance I was the 3rd one out of transition and got to see first hand the pro's on the run. Sure they were fast, thats a given, but it was more the intensity - I just kind of chug along, cant go out too fast and suffer a burn out so better to leave something in the tank for later. To me that was smart racing - I dont want to Julie Moss across the line! It seemed to me that the pros ARE going to blow up and at any second. Effort that I saw seemed anaerobic and unsustainable and yet they held it to the end. I always felt that I do give it my all out there but to be honest seeing what I saw I dont think I do, I can finish a race and feel fine, tired sure but my recovery time is next to nothing. In retrospect I see myself "racing" at 7/10's and the pro's were at 9.9/10. I think my gains will not come from more training but simply laying it all out on the line and really pushing beyond what I think is possible and really, finding what the limits of what I can do are by simply going much much harder.

2016-06-27 7:28 PM
in reply to: #5188792

User image

Master
Dave, this sport has taught me that I am capable of way more than I think I am, if only I just step out of my way.
2016-06-27 7:46 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, I have seen plenty of pros racing (when they turn around on out-and-back courses) and it is impressive how hard they are pushing. But remember, they do this for a living. Not only does that mean they can spend much/most of their time training and recovering (so they can push those high effort levels a lot in training and learn how much of it they can handle), but that their performance to a big extent determines their income and whether/how long they can continue in the sport. There is more on the line for them than for most of us. In any long event, it's a learning process--what's the borderline between pushing beyond one's limits and doing a personal best, and blowing up and doing a DNF and or hours in the med tent? (Many of the pros do end up in the latter, especially in the tropical events I often do. It's less of an attractive option for me as I often travel to races without coaches, family, or friends to support me if that happened.) Probably everybody who's seriously competitive in endurance sports has ended up on the wrong side of that divide several times. It's especially hard as it's not an absolute matter of pushing some "scientifically" determined pace or power level, but varies with the course, weather, fitness, and just the state of one's body on a given day,

I have really been struggling with this issue on the bike. I recently did a 20-minute test and managed 215. Maybe not impressive for some, but I am only about 115-116 pounds and that is supposedly a nearly world-class level for a female triathlete in my AG. Yet I have NEVER placed better than third on the bike in my age group, and am usually several minutes behind the fastest cyclist in my AG in a HIM and sometimes even in an Oly. Endurance, not speed or strength, is my forte in the swim and run, so it "should" be the same on the bike. Yet it still feels really "hard" and unsustainable for me to push watts(155-165) that I should theoretically be able to handle for a HIM bike. I think to some extent I just don't know how to suffer on a bike for almost three hours, or have an intuitive feel for what level of suffering I can handle on the bike for the different distances and still pull off a strong run. Before I started tri, all my biking was just for commuting and leisure, not even casual fitness training and definitely not for competition, so I don't have the intuitive feel for effort that I do with swimming and running. I think it's just one of those things that's learned through doing, and probably through the occasional failure.

2016-06-27 10:16 PM
in reply to: IronOx

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx Dave, this sport has taught me that I am capable of way more than I think I am, if only I just step out of my way.

I've picked up more about pushing, but also about stepping back and not being too heavily invested in one event. Several times things felt like a complete bust because the race went poorly, but others were great trips overall as the race was only a part of it.

2016-06-27 10:23 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner  I have really been struggling with this issue on the bike. I recently did a 20-minute test and managed 215. Maybe not impressive for some, but I am only about 115-116 pounds and that is supposedly a nearly world-class level for a female triathlete in my AG. Yet I have NEVER placed better than third on the bike in my age group, and am usually several minutes behind the fastest cyclist in my AG in a HIM and sometimes even in an Oly. Endurance, not speed or strength, is my forte in the swim and run, so it "should" be the same on the bike. Yet it still feels really "hard" and unsustainable for me to push watts(155-165) that I should theoretically be able to handle for a HIM bike. I think to some extent I just don't know how to suffer on a bike for almost three hours, or have an intuitive feel for what level of suffering I can handle on the bike for the different distances and still pull off a strong run. Before I started tri, all my biking was just for commuting and leisure, not even casual fitness training and definitely not for competition, so I don't have the intuitive feel for effort that I do with swimming and running. I think it's just one of those things that's learned through doing, and probably through the occasional failure.

I feel like a brontosaurus compared to your size! Power is doing well, though getting weight back is lagging behind.

2016-06-28 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner I did a three hour ruck march this morning. It was hot, and 45 pounds of ruck really pushed me mentally because my shoulders were killing me. The cool part is it got picked up by the local news. http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/march-carry-the-fallen-draws-aw...

Thank you for doing this, TJ, raising veteran suicide awareness is a very worthy cause.  Sadly, I know a vet who didn't get the help he needed and took his life a few months ago.

Yes indeed, thank you. 

2016-06-28 6:54 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by DaveL

I am glad others races went so well and I know that next time will be better. I have moved on and have my sights on the next one. As to lessons learned yes there are some obvious ones such as try to get some sleep before a race and focus on what you are doing but the bigger lesson came from the intensity that I saw in others. I am not an athletic person, at least that is what I tell myself. I can put in the hours, but it doesnt seem to translate to results the way it seems to in others. I have lost about 15lbs since last year, putting so much time on the bike, a recent increase in run volume have all been beneficial and I am getting a little quicker but there is still something missing. I saw it on the run - seeing as I only did half the bike distance I was the 3rd one out of transition and got to see first hand the pro's on the run. Sure they were fast, thats a given, but it was more the intensity - I just kind of chug along, cant go out too fast and suffer a burn out so better to leave something in the tank for later. To me that was smart racing - I dont want to Julie Moss across the line! It seemed to me that the pros ARE going to blow up and at any second. Effort that I saw seemed anaerobic and unsustainable and yet they held it to the end. I always felt that I do give it my all out there but to be honest seeing what I saw I dont think I do, I can finish a race and feel fine, tired sure but my recovery time is next to nothing. In retrospect I see myself "racing" at 7/10's and the pro's were at 9.9/10. I think my gains will not come from more training but simply laying it all out on the line and really pushing beyond what I think is possible and really, finding what the limits of what I can do are by simply going much much harder.

Dave, they are at the top of their game for a number of reasons, mental fortitude being a big one. It is kinda cool to see it in action, no? I too had an opportunity to closely watch the pointy end of the stick in a race that I volunteered for a few years back. Watching that showed me what is possible and in a small way, what it takes to get there. I've never found that in me, and I'm not sure how far I want to go to find it.

Yogi Berra may have said it best "Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical". That really does apply to triathlon.

2016-06-28 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thank you all for the Birthday well wishes, no matter where I may have read them!

2016-06-28 7:44 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Thank you all for the Birthday well wishes, no matter where I may have read them!

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2016-06-28 9:54 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by IronOx Sounds like there was some good, some bad and some ugly (weather) for the pod this weekend! Congratulations to all the racers. No matter what happened, you were out there. I always feel like the training is the accomplishment; the race is just a day. Chris, the happiest of birthday wishes! My little Spartacus cat has surgery today for a mass on his larynx. It had the potential to block his airway but I am happy to report that the anesthesia and surgery went well. Sent it off for histology and hopefully it is just a polyp. Given his young age, that is most likely. It may grow back but hopefully slowly (he lost his voice about 2years ago and despite investigation we could find no reason--it may have been this mass early on. That bodes well for 'slow growing'!) Hope everyone's Monday went well. We are on a short week this week as Friday is Canada Day.

Sending healing vibes to little Spartacus and crossing my fingers it is nothing more than a polyp.  Yay Canada Day!

2016-06-28 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx Sounds like there was some good, some bad and some ugly (weather) for the pod this weekend! Congratulations to all the racers. No matter what happened, you were out there. I always feel like the training is the accomplishment; the race is just a day. Chris, the happiest of birthday wishes! My little Spartacus cat has surgery today for a mass on his larynx. It had the potential to block his airway but I am happy to report that the anesthesia and surgery went well. Sent it off for histology and hopefully it is just a polyp. Given his young age, that is most likely. It may grow back but hopefully slowly (he lost his voice about 2years ago and despite investigation we could find no reason--it may have been this mass early on. That bodes well for 'slow growing'!) Hope everyone's Monday went well. We are on a short week this week as Friday is Canada Day.

Glad to hear Spartacus's surgery went well. Fingers crossed for the polyp.

Happy early Canada Day!!

2016-06-28 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racers, I hope that you had a blast out there!

Chris, I hope that you had a great birthday!

Laura, great news about J’s job offer! May background be quick and painless!  

Dave, sorry about the signage situation. Major bummer!

Jim, congrats on the new steed!  Red + white = FAST

Sean, whoa!  20 minute PR! You were rocking!

Markus, congrats on the race and your triversery

TJ, three hour ruck march mental toughness!  Wow!

Jonathan, congrats on the 70.3! I think that it’s sometimes hard to do an HIM leading into your IM because you are carrying extra fatigue.  Losing your nutrition definitely increased the level of difficulty as well!

Justin, congrats on the 70.3! It sounds like it was a nice venue!

Yanti and Kirsten, so glad the at Spartacus and Smoky made it through their surgeries

Mary G, congrats on finishing your rain soaked event this weekend. Stormy swim + wet roads bike!

2016-06-28 4:52 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racers, I hope that you had a blast out there!

Chris, I hope that you had a great birthday!

Laura, great news about J’s job offer! May background be quick and painless!  

Dave, sorry about the signage situation. Major bummer!

Jim, congrats on the new steed!  Red + white = FAST

Sean, whoa!  20 minute PR! You were rocking!

Markus, congrats on the race and your triversery

TJ, three hour ruck march mental toughness!  Wow!

Jonathan, congrats on the 70.3! I think that it’s sometimes hard to do an HIM leading into your IM because you are carrying extra fatigue.  Losing your nutrition definitely increased the level of difficulty as well!

Justin, congrats on the 70.3! It sounds like it was a nice venue!

Yanti and Kirsten, so glad the at Spartacus and Smoky made it through their surgeries

Mary G, congrats on finishing your rain soaked event this weekend. Stormy swim + wet roads bike!

Congrats and cheers on all the accomplishments and progress, and all other personal events
Thanks Janyne for summarizing, it seems like tons of stuff to catch up. And race reports...

Laura, any updates with the background checks?

2016-06-28 9:36 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats racers! I have no racing or drama to report, but attempting to attach photos of the venues for my two absolutely beautiful workouts (run and swim) today:

(hendrickspark run.jpg)

(cottage grove lake.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
hendrickspark run.jpg (630KB - 5 downloads)
cottage grove lake.jpg (106KB - 4 downloads)
2016-06-28 10:58 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Congrats racers! I have no racing or drama to report, but attempting to attach photos of the venues for my two absolutely beautiful workouts (run and swim) today:

This is gorgeous!
2016-06-28 11:49 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats racers! I have no racing or drama to report, but attempting to attach photos of the venues for my two absolutely beautiful workouts (run and swim) today:

Ahhh someone must be back in the PNW!!!

2016-06-28 11:50 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jet Black Today was interesting. Had several mishaps on the bike including going down one time (I'm ok, just road rash). But overall I'm very pleased with my effort in some tough conditions. 4:53:06, which is a 20 minute 70.3 PR for me. And this is by far the hardest one I've done. Feels good to see progress!!

Great work! That is an impressive improvement now stay on the bike next time

2016-06-28 11:54 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

That's really cool. Carrying weight is definitely my biggest weakness in my mountaineering-type adventures. 40 lb is no joke for sure. Having been personally affected by suicide on several accounts I think this is such a great event. The veteran (and active duty) suicide rate is jaw dropping. 

2016-06-29 8:53 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats racers! I have no racing or drama to report, but attempting to attach photos of the venues for my two absolutely beautiful workouts (run and swim) today:

Spectacular!  Enjoy!

2016-06-29 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nice!!!!

2016-06-29 11:55 AM

User image

Seattle

I had a really amazing summit of Mount Baker over the weekend. It was part of a skills class where we did all kinds of glacial travel exercises and just a ton of hard work in general. I think we traveled something like 12,000 K of vert and 18 miles over the three days. At times carrying over 60 lbs on our backs.

I seriously took a butt kicking but had so much fun and learned a TON.

2016-06-29 12:15 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Is anyone using the username "Smileboot" on GPsies.com. If so, you've downloaded my route, named EFB  from my spreadsheet and made it private. Could you make it public please? Thanks

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.